Home
News Post

Check out my Fight Night Round 4 hands-on preview blog.

Quote:
"Let’s get this out of the way. There will be no button mashing this year because the buttons will not be used for standard punches. I know that half of you are rejoicing while the other half are seething in anger.
Trust me when I say that a good number of Community Members voiced their displeasure for the removal of buttons.
EA is going in a very analog-centric direction and Fight Night Round 4 is no exception.

The game isn't completely independent of buttons as they are still employed for haymakers, clinching, pushing, head-butts and of course to pull off an Andrew Golota 'speed bag' routine (if you know what I mean)."

Game: Fight Night Round 4Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
Fight Night Round 4 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 JayBee74 @ 05/08/09 01:28 AM
Great writeup! Now I'm really pumped for this game!

# 2 Motown @ 05/08/09 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Very well written Money...I can't wait

# 3 SteelerSpartan @ 05/08/09 05:18 AM
Nice Write up

But I want to ask you about the controls and whether you share any of beliefs of this guy:

Strictly the analog sticks now (which I actually like better). Sorry guys, but anyone can be a method button-masher. It takes a lot more skill to do the same thing with just the analog sticks (and the A button signature move).

Exactly how you use those analog sticks can determine the final effect of your fighting. Solid hits, clipping, breaking blocks and combos have become much more difficult and detailed. Admittedly, I wasn’t very skilled at Round 3 to begin with, but I learned by watching the other attendees play. With Round 4, I had difficulties with getting some of the punches to work using the analog sticks and sometimes wound up doing a completely wrong punch for the situation. That was very frustrating for me (the hardest punch for me was the uppercut) but is just something that requires me to become more skilled at using the sticks.

But because of these exact difficulties, it required us as players to show if we have true skill or not. We tested and learned which fighters we excelled at using. I cannot for the life of me use inside fighters. Just CANNOT. Give me an outside fighter or a brawler and I do relatively fine. (I would also like to note that I absolutely fail with Mike Tyson.) The inside fighters require much more skill in landing solid punches to the body and use of punches like the uppercut, while outside fighters can throw jabs and combos from a distance and still get in good clips and hits.

To continue with difficulties, I also had the same problem in aiming punches as I did in creating the punch I desired. This in itself does not reflect badly on the system they use to generate the actions, but rather on my ability to create an outcome. I’ll have to spend many hours to improve my fighting skills on this game as I learn the intricacies of the fighters and improve my ability to choose, execute and aim punches.

The previously mentioned is the detail that most impresses me about this game. A lot of people will bitch and complain about the changes: the difficulties and the lack of a button config. I feel that the devs are staying much truer to the sport and its athletes by forcing gamers to feel some of the frustration that comes with learning and perfecting the sport (as we all had the chance to experience for a few measly hours during the Community Day). Shortcuts like using a button config don’t exist in the real world, so they shouldn’t exist in the game. This will bring out a greater competition and ultimately prove who really is better at the game when it relies on more uncertain factors than just buttons.

http://www.gamertagradio.com/vbporta...ad.php?p=68250

He laid out exactly the problems that I thought would come with going all sticks. No I don't feel we should have to "feel" the frustrations of the sport by making it harder to perform basic stuff that all Pros can execute.

By reading that guys impressions I once again get the feeling that they went all sticks because they couldn't develop a sim enough fighting system with buttons through appropriate stats/ animations that punish users for mashing.

So it feels like we're paying for their failures in this regard.

But maybe Im jumping the gun...thats why I wanted to get your take on this guys impressions.

And also what do you think the chances are of them not having some sort of bug/problem with the stick responsiveness???

Not one game thats featured the analog stick has been free of responsiveness issue...even as good as NHL 09 is it has had its hiccups.....but Boxing is just a whole different animal...the timing and precision have to be spot on

# 4 SteelerSpartan @ 05/08/09 05:43 AM

Are those types of sustained combos possible now with the sticks???

Just about every vid Ive seen of FN 4 it looks like theres these slight delays in the middle of combinations that keep it from looking as fast and impactfull as the real thing.....IMO its because the lack of responsiveness in the right stick

# 5 Steve_OS @ 05/08/09 06:06 AM
Great write up!

# 6 SHAKYR @ 05/08/09 06:57 AM
You know I was one of the loudest to say people were going to complain about the buttons being gone.
What really bugs me and it's sort of ignorant, I hate that it takes skills to use the sticks?!?...skills to throw punches with a stick? A remark like this sounds more like a fighting game fan instead of an actual boxing or boxing game fan. You should be able to throw what ever punch you want without going through a motion to pull it off.

# 7 Money99 @ 05/08/09 08:41 AM
SHAKYR, I agree with you. If I had a choice, I'd prefer using buttons myself. They were easier for me to push in FNRd3 and I felt I could put together combo's more easily.

SteelerSpartan, I agree with that person who spoke about putting combo's together.
When I first started playing with it, there were times where I wanted to throw a certain punch, but something else came out.
But as I had more time with it, I got better at it. I'm sure there's going to be a learning curve for most people, but you'll get the hang of it.

At the same time, I know there was one person there who complained about the responsiveness of the controls. One of the producers came over, did some fine tuning on the code and 'voila!' they became a lot more responsive. So I'm not worried about that.

Going back to what Shakyr said, I do wish if they were going with sticks exclusively they could have done it in a different way. Right now, when you want to throw an uppercut you have to push to 5:00 and then arc to 12:00.
I think it could have been where all you needed was to push towards 5:00 and then use a bumper or trigger button to modify for a body blow.

So if I wanted to throw a right-hook to the body, followed by a left hook to the head and then a right-uppercut to the head it would be:
bumper+3:00, 9:00, 5:00.
With the controls as they are now that combo would be:
3:00, 9:00 arced to 12:00, 5:00 arced to 12:00.
That's not that bad but your movements have to be precise with the arcs.

For those that were already deadly with the analogs in FNRd3, the slight changes they made will benefit. For those that were about the buttons, it will take some time but I think with practice you'll find the combo's to be fluid and responsive with the analog controls.

# 8 Money99 @ 05/08/09 08:50 AM
SteelerSpartan, I forgot to add that I don't think EA took away the buttons because the engine isn't sim.
This was a decision that came from above as EA wants to make everything analog believing it's the future of gaming.

Trust me, the engine is very sim. I watched some of the bouts taking place at the community day and for the people that fought like they've never watched a fight in their life were getting their lunches handed to them by people who knew what they were doing.

As you can tell by my avatar I'm a big hockey fan. When NHL07 first dropped featuring Analog stick handling and shooting it took me some time to get used to it. I lost a lot of games while I adjusted. In fact, it was probably 20 games before I felt comfortable with them. But once I got the hang of it, the game really opened up for me. I was able to do things on the virtual ice that I'd never seen before and the experience blossomed.
I have the same feeling with FNrd4. It's going to take some people (like me who has 2 left thumbs) some time to become comfortable using only sticks. But once that happens, it's going to be a very rich and enjoyable experience.

# 9 wyrm187 @ 05/08/09 09:30 AM
Money - thanks for the review. I also share your concern about too many knockdowns and fighters cutting too quickly - I am hoping this game will be authentic as possible. Also as far as realism I have 3 questions about knockouts -

1. are there flash KOs (When I mean KOs I mean fighter is done and done, not really a chance to get up - not a flash knockdown) - I just couldn't stand round 3 how you could knock each other down so many times . . ..I mean it happens but a knockout puncher has that potential to just end the fight altogether with one big punch

2. You said you really liked the knockdown animations you saw - are they like ragdoll effects . .? kinda like FNR2 .. .I like decent knockdown animations Im just hoping they have a few animations in there that don't look like a devastating punch landed every single time, almost like a softer knockdown.

3. Can you take a knee if you are getting pummeled?

thanks in advance

# 10 Money99 @ 05/08/09 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrm187
Money - thanks for the review. I also share your concern about too many knockdowns and fighters cutting too quickly - I am hoping this game will be authentic as possible. Also as far as realism I have 3 questions about knockouts -

1. are there flash KOs (When I mean KOs I mean fighter is done and done, not really a chance to get up - not a flash knockdown) - I just couldn't stand round 3 how you could knock each other down so many times . . ..I mean it happens but a knockout puncher has that potential to just end the fight altogether with one big punch
I never saw one but I believe the producers said they'll be in there.
Maybe Shakyr, Complex, Darxide or Wepeeler could comment because they might have witnessed one.

I know that I saw one-punch knockdowns that seemed impossible to get up from. Depending no how badly you're hurt, the difficulty in rising from the canvas is affected.

Quote:
2. You said you really liked the knockdown animations you saw - are they like ragdoll effects . .? kinda like FNR2 .. .I like decent knockdown animations Im just hoping they have a few animations in there that don't look like a devastating punch landed every single time, almost like a softer knockdown.
They're kind of like a ragdoll affect, but not nearly as exaggerated like FNRd2 where it looked like everyone had been shot by an Elephant gun.
I just remember thinking that every knockdown looked realistic and cool.

Quote:
3. Can you take a knee if you are getting pummeled?
That's an excellent question and I'm embarassed that I never heard this come up.
Again, I'll have to ask the other gents that were present if they heard or saw anything about this.
Sorry.

Quote:
thanks in advance
Anytime!

# 11 wyrm187 @ 05/08/09 09:51 AM
They're kind of like a ragdoll affect, but not nearly as exaggerated like FNRd2 where it looked like everyone had been shot by an Elephant gun.

lol well put - that was my sentiments exactly - every knockdown looked like a career ender

# 12 Money99 @ 05/08/09 09:53 AM
Quote:

lol well put - that was my sentiments exactly - every knockdown looked like a career ender
LOL. Yeah. Don't get me wrong. Those knockdowns were wildly entertaining but far from realistic.

The knockdowns in FNRd4 look spot on. The one KD that Tyson suffered looked so authentic. It looked just like the one he sustained in the first Holyfield fight. Fell back, legs in the air, trunks half way up his thigh. Looked very good.

# 13 wyrm187 @ 05/08/09 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
LOL. Yeah. Don't get me wrong. Those knockdowns were wildly entertaining but far from realistic.

The knockdowns in FNRd4 look spot on. The one KD that Tyson suffered looked so authentic. It looked just like the one he sustained in the first Holyfield fight. Fell back, legs in the air, trunks half way up his thigh. Looked very good.
Oh man - that sounds awesome! Hey from the fights you saw - how many knockdowns would you say on average it took before a fighter was finished - was it similar to last year? also is there an option to turn off the knockdown game - and have your fighter automatically get up? sorry to bombard you with questions - I'm kinda fired up now!

# 14 JayBee74 @ 05/08/09 10:41 AM
I also don't like the "knockdown game". Should be automatic reflecting the fighter's heart, chin rating, and cumulative damage sustained.
How does the "Haymaker Button" work-like the signature punch in Round 3? I'm sure it will be slow developing and energy sapping.

# 15 Money99 @ 05/08/09 10:44 AM
Quote:
Oh man - that sounds awesome! Hey from the fights you saw - how many knockdowns would you say on average it took before a fighter was finished - was it similar to last year? also is there an option to turn off the knockdown game - and have your fighter automatically get up? sorry to bombard you with questions - I'm kinda fired up now!
Again, you might be disappointed with my limited memory.

Almost all of the fights that took place were human vs human. So because of that, and the fact that nobody besides Mandy from the Community event was good at getting up, a lot of fights ended with the first knockdown.

Like I mentioned earlier, the more hurt you are, the harder it is to get up. So at this point, I'm not sure if everyone experienced devastating knockout punches or they were just bad at getting up.

There were 2 guys beside me who fought almost exclusively as Tyson. So every fight was Tyson vs. Tyson.
In the middle of our hands-on time we were served food so many of us got up to get a bite. On my way to the chow line I walked past their screen and noticed that their fight had ended in a 12 round decision with only 1 knockdown.

So that evidence would suggest that you can take some shots before being put out.

However, the hotspots do come into play. If a big puncher lands flush on someone's chin (especially a weak chin) you'll get hurt in a hurry and possible never get up from the knockdown.

I'm not sure if you can have the CPU control getting up. I don't remember hearing that was an option.

And don't apologize for asking questions. That's why we were sent there; to observe and report. Ask as many as you like.
I just feel bad that I'm not able to answer all of your questions. We only had 3-4 hours with the game so between getting used to the controls, and just soaking in the experience, I felt like I didn't get as much time as I wanted. I could have played that game all freakin' day if EA let me.

# 16 Money99 @ 05/08/09 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
I also don't like the "knockdown game". Should be automatic reflecting the fighter's heart, chin rating, and cumulative damage sustained.
How does the "Haymaker Button" work-like the signature punch in Round 3? I'm sure it will be slow developing and energy sapping.
The haymaker, from what I remember, is simply a button press.
It's slower, more telegraphed and requires more stamina to pull off.

Because of the physics engine countering plays a very large roll in FNRd4. So if you decide to throw a haymaker, you better time it right, or chuck it at the right time.

If you're facing someone who's adept with the game, they'll easily duck or counter that shot for an easy multiple punch combo.

Oops. That reminds me that I forgot to mention blocking. You no longer have to block north-south and east-west. You simply block up or down. Your blocking attributes and meter will dictate how well your block will be.

And remember, again, because of the physics, your block automatically doesn't deflect all punches aimed at the area you're protecting. If you block your head your opponent can move to the side and fire off a hook that will land flush behind your gloves.

# 17 Vast @ 05/08/09 12:12 PM
sounds sweet Money. Can you explain again how the bobbing and weaving controls work? The way u described it in your blog was confusing for me. Do you weave with the right or left stick, and which way are you supposed to move it?

# 18 sva91 @ 05/08/09 12:15 PM
Great write-up Money.

Does the game seem faster in person compared to some of the vids that have been released? I know 60fps may not show up on videos.

# 19 Bronk_Bonin @ 05/08/09 12:54 PM
Money...awesome write up. It sounds like you had a great time and I'm itching to play this game more than any game that I can remember. I have a couple of questions.

1. I'm a stick player on FN3. Does that mean the learning curve for me should be minimal?

2. What fighters did you get to use? Could you feel the difference in each fighters ability and difference in weightclass? Did everyone at the event have the full roster at their fingertips to use? If so, does the rumored roster look pretty accurate?

3. I noticed in one of the other preview write ups (Eurogamer or videogamer) that DLC was mentioned as a possiblity. Did anyone at the event suggest this was indeed a viable option to get fighters like PBF, Hopkins, Ward, DLH, Marquez, Juan Diaz, etc.? It just seems that the omission of Hopkins, Ward, DLH, and others who were in the last installement is somewhat puzzling.

I'm so fired up for the game.

# 20 SteelerSpartan @ 05/08/09 01:13 PM
Thanks for the for the Replies Money

I'll say this with NHL 07-09 and Skate the idea with the stick was to give you more precision....Thats not the case with FN 4 is it

I still have my doubts about the R Stick in this game. I just don't like the idea of your thoughts being focused on anything but your opponent while in the ring.

Im gonna wait for the demo before I completely write this off though

I don't know why they would want to create this problem though. Give the user the option to play the games how they want to play them and make two lobbies for each crowd Online

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.