Home
Madden 2010 News Post

Just wanted to drop a note to you guys and let you know how the game is playing here in mid-May. I played two games yesterday, one against our development manager Ryan Ferwerda...and the other against lead franchise mode designer Josh Looman. Let me just say, the game is so much fun right now! This is no PR blah-blah deal here, we honestly had moments that were making us say wow. Plenty of things to keep us busy for the next month or so, but man this game is going to knock your socks off. OK, enough jibber jabber, on to the juicy details.

Game 1
Green Bay at Chicago - Franchise Mode (All Pro) - Week 1 - 5 min qtrs/no accl clock

Ryan is Green Bay. I am Chicago.

-1st quarter - screen pass to Forte, Packers blitzing hard, Cutler gets it off to Forte who has at least 2 OL ahead to block. 75 yards later, 7-0 CHI.
- Bears get a stop. Next drive, handoff to Matt Forte. Boom, he goes down and it doesn't look good folks. I'm not sure initially of the diagnosis, but I know it's bad because Kevin Jones just stepped onto the field for the Bears.
- Towards the end of the 1st quarter, the report comes in. Forte, compound leg fracture, out for season. Boom. Franchise year one roasted. It was a crazy moment for me (Ryan loved every minute of it - he's a diehard Packer nut). I go from planning on giving Matt Forte about 25-30 touches to having to scramble with Kevin Jones, Garett Wolfe, and the Other Adrian Peterson. Let me tell you, those guys are about 5 steps down from Matt Forte. Huge drop in terms of talent in the game and it is noticable in my opinion.
- It is a slug fest throughout, we head into the 4th quarter 10-3 Bears. Ryan ends up putting a really nice drive with Aaron Rodgers nickel and diming me with Donald Driver over the middle (the guy does not drop passes, his catch in traffic is one of best in game). He ends up pounding it in with Grant. 10-10. About 2:15 seconds left in game then boom. Crash game over. Already have this bug fixed, but man this was a damn fun game at 10-10 in the 4th!
- We both had less than 200 total yards offense at that point (we had just gone into pause menu to look at stats). I had no running game whatsoever, and the Bears have a rag-tag WR corp, so it's tough for Cutler to do much.

Game 2
- Seattle at Carolina - Exhibition (Pro) - 10 min qtrs/accl clock ON
Josh is Carolina. I am Seattle.

-First quarter is brutal defensive battle. DeAngelo is not doing much for Josh. We are deadlocked at 0-0 heading into the 2nd QTR. Overall, DeAngelo pretty quiet. Something like 70 total yards and 1 score. Most thru the air from what I remember.
- Then it gets exciting. T.J Duckett was my feature back dejour today with Seattle, they really have a thin crew back there at RB this year. Julius Jones was mixed in and had one big run for me (mainly due to Josh's infamous 'switch-n-ndive' technique). Back to Duckett, he and his 74 SPD break out for a 49 touchdown gallop. It was a thing of beauty. Couple of big power moves and a huge stiff arm at the end on Charles Godfrey sealed the deal. Duckett had 10 carries for 88yards and 2 scores on the day BTW.

- Delhomme was erratic all day, putting up some big yards but also throwing the INTs. Had over 300+ yds, and 2 scores, to go along with 3 picks.
- Julius Peppers had Josh and I in awe with this amazing leaping INT (he called a play that dropped Peppers back in coverage) and 60 yard return for touchdown.
-TJ Hoosh was effective but not dominant for me and Seattle with 5 catches for 60+ yds. Didn't drop much, but he never broke any big plays and can't get too far with his 82 speed (but 90+ Routes, CTH, CTH in Traffic).
- As for how the game ended. I am up with Seattle (had over 150+ yards with J Jones and Duckett), late in the 4th, score was 35-24. I kick a 53 yard FG with Mare to go up by 11 (game over right?). He then promptly takes it down the field with Dwayne Jarrett of all people making a real big play on 3rd and 15+. He gets in with DeAngelo short yardage...38-32 (after two point conv).. He tries to onsides but I get it....there is 1:30 remaining...he uses some timeouts, and forces me to punt back....i punt back and he has no timeouts and there is like 11 seconds left.

-Last play Steve Smith, gets open about twenty yards downfield on a corner to the left sideline...then he starts running almost sideways, not gaining yards, but distancing himself from all my guys (I was an idiot and was controlling Brian Russell who is no speed demon!) and Smith made it all the way to score TD with no time remaining. Kicks the extra point, Final score, 39-38. [Although, let me say, Brian Russell made some big plays in that game, he had one pick and a lot of tackles].

Both Phil and Ryan were working on something in Phil's office but had to come out and watch the end of this one!

-Steve Smith ended up with good overall numbers, but kept him quiet for most part with a 4 catch, 130, 1 TD day (he got like 60 yards on last play).
-Aaron Curry was a beast to control on defense for Seattle. He is going to be a lot of fun in franchise mode.
-Nate Burleson is baaaaaacck people! Ha, he got open for abig play here and there for me, and hearing real good things out of mini-camp about him in real life. He had 4 catches for 80 yards...
-Hasselbeck had a nice day, like 22-28 for 225 yards. West Coast offense, short passing all day long.

OK folks, hope you enjoy, thought you might like some "detailed" info about how the games are actually playing at this time of year. From someone who is actually playing Madden NFL 10 right now!! jealous!!?

-Donny

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 TreyIM2 @ 05/13/09 10:55 PM
Details - Nice catch...
Ok, how the hell do I quote on these blogs??? It doesn't seem to work for me or am I missing an extra step or two or...

# 122 jWILL253 @ 05/13/09 11:16 PM
TreyIM2,

You took the words right out of my keyboard...

# 123 cedwebb @ 05/14/09 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Autumn Wind
Excellent work on Steve Young's stats.

All I'd say is that we're talking about a HOF QB, with a HOF WR, a Pro Bowl FB and a Pro Bowl HB who were very good pass catchers, all playing in the highest percentage scheme to date. There are certainly teams in the league who can replicate some of those numbers, the Cards being a great example, but we have to realize that with numbers like that we're talking about the statistical aberration, not the norm.

I think we all want the same thing, which is balance in-game and believable stat lines for the season with the kinds of highs and lows you expect over 16 games.

To the above poster who suggested that 78% games aren't a big deal, I concur. I am simply worried that we're going to have more 78% seasons, that's all. Hence the plug for more stats if the devs are inclined to give them from their games, which of course I realize they're in no way obligated to do.
I think you were refering to me about the 78%. Thats is the way I feel also. 78% in one game, I can handle that as it will happen, but my concern is the season averages. They are consistently high and I just want to see those numbers come down. He only shared stats for one game so we cant really make any overall conclusions which I mentioned in my first post, it just seems like the same pattern is happening. Again, you can't take anything from one game.

Now he did say that because most of his passes were under 20 yards they were going to be a higher amount of completions. Well how many time in a game do you pass over 20 yards? I think 20 yards and under is the norm and that shouldn't give you a better chance at completing passes per say. So again I hope we see passes under 20 yards just as hard to complete as I don't feel they should be any easier. Just my take!

# 124 Maelstrom-XIII @ 05/14/09 11:33 AM
I think (I could be wrong) that Donny was saying that shorter passes are fairly easy to complete...they are high percentage passes for a reason..they should be easier...but they shouldn't be automatic. I'm not fretting too much on one >70% game...but seasons should come down to AT LEAST 65% (awesome year for a QB, no?)...I'd like to see the completion percentage for his first game when he could've opened up the passing with 5-7 deep balls that game (before freezing)...

# 125 roadman @ 05/14/09 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arseniotall
this same discussion was made last year, by the way, after the stats for a couple games were posted. I will say it again. If the norm is 50 to 60 percent then thats what we should see. We should not see games in the high 70's off the jump. One should have to work his *** off to get to that percentage. People defending this seem to be saying the EXACT same things that was said last year.... I wonder how that turned out.
A. Actually the norm now is 60-63%, which is closer than 50%.
B. It was only one game. Very small sample size. You need to test this theory out over 100 games or so for the stats to align.
C. I'd rather see the results for user vs. CPU vs user against user as has already been mentioned in the thread.
D. I'll take the word of the CD folks that have already stated that there are a lot of inaccurate throws vs last year.
E. Adjustable sliders.

# 126 RogueHominid @ 05/14/09 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedwebb
I think you were refering to me about the 78%. Thats is the way I feel also. 78% in one game, I can handle that as it will happen, but my concern is the season averages. They are consistently high and I just want to see those numbers come down. He only shared stats for one game so we cant really make any overall conclusions which I mentioned in my first post, it just seems like the same pattern is happening. Again, you can't take anything from one game.

Now he did say that because most of his passes were under 20 yards they were going to be a higher amount of completions. Well how many time in a game do you pass over 20 yards? I think 20 yards and under is the norm and that shouldn't give you a better chance at completing passes per say. So again I hope we see passes under 20 yards just as hard to complete as I don't feel they should be any easier. Just my take!
+1. WCO throws demand an unusual amount of accuracy because you're throwing into portions of the field with a high body count to space ratio. Even the checkdown to a swing pass is not any easy throw to make. It's short, but very easy to flub. Ask Joe Theisman .

I think we're really all on the same page here. Good discussion . . .

# 127 Maelstrom-XIII @ 05/14/09 12:09 PM
The WCO does require good accuracy...which is something Hasselbeck has in spades. He's not Pennington accurate...but he's pretty darned good.

I think the key phrase in Donny's replies has been "Lots of high percentage throws"...which shouldn't be a given, by any means...but we also don't know the whole story about Josh's coverages, etc. So until the n approaches a level as to be statistically significant, we'll just have to wait and picket outside of EAs offices until Donny posts more game synopses and stats.

# 128 cedwebb @ 05/14/09 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Autumn Wind
+1. WCO throws demand an unusual amount of accuracy because you're throwing into portions of the field with a high body count to space ratio. Even the checkdown to a swing pass is not any easy throw to make. It's short, but very easy to flub. Ask Joe Theisman .

I think we're really all on the same page here. Good discussion . . .
Totally agree..I think that there are alot of QBs that would not fit into the WCO scheme because of the high degree of accuracy and timing that are required. Guys that have run it well are Hall a Famer type guys. Just look at Tavaris Jackson, he tries to run the WCO but it doesn't really work all that well. When he has success its when he is able to get longer looks and throw down field. His short game is not really that great and his ability to make real quick decisions is not where it needs to be.

Last season Jackson threw for 4 TDs against Arizona, he got offensive player of the week that week. His was at 59%, and that was his best game ever!

Just a bit of info, Warner last year who was basically tied with Pennington for highest completion % on the year was at 67%. He had 7 games where he was over 70% and 9 including the post season in which he threw 72% in the SB. That was a great game BTW.

You could argue that it happens alot. 9 times in one year, thats a good amount of games over 70%. Well here is the kicker, this is Kurt Warner we are talking about. This guy has been talked about as a possible Hall a Famer and lets remember, he was also talked about last year for league MVP. This guy is not the norm and he is not your average QB.

# 129 Maelstrom-XIII @ 05/14/09 12:34 PM
Quote:
This is Kurt Warner we are talking about. This guy has been talked about as a possible Hall a Famer and lets remember, he was also talked about last year for league MVP. This guy is not the norm and he is not your average QB.
I'm not saying that every QB should get these numbers...even for 1 game...but Hasselbeck isn't exactly chopped liver...he's much closer to Warner than T-Jack. So it's not out of the realm of possibility.

In 2005, Hasselbeck threw for 70+% in 7 games (including playoffs)...he even threw for 80+% twice...

# 130 ewto16 @ 05/14/09 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krodis
I don't see how 78% in a single game is much of a concern: it isn't exactly a rare feat. I mean, if it happened every game I'd be concerned, but David Carr and Redskins-era Mark Brunell have completed something like 21 passes in a row before, so 78% for a fairly accurate QB in a west coast offense doesn't seem particularly off for a single game performance.

I mean, the thing you have to remember about single games is they're small sample sizes. 20/25 might be 80%, but 15/25 is 60%. The difference between 60% and 80% in this situation could be a few dropped balls and an amazing leaping grab.
I think what you are missing is that in Madden 09 every QB completed passes at a 70% or better clip every game.

While it is only a one/two game sample, people are VERY concerned that this problem will still be in the game.

Having an unstoppable QB makes the game unplayable, just like 09 was.

# 131 roadman @ 05/14/09 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewto16
I think what you are missing is that in Madden 09 every QB completed passes at a 70% or better clip every game.

While it is only a one/two game sample, people are VERY concerned that this problem will still be in the game.

And I think what you are missing is what has already been reported in blogs vs the 09 game.

Madden 10 has accuracy short, medium and long pass accuracy ratings. Also, only a few QBs will be rated in the 90's vs 09.

I really don't feel it's a cause for concern at this stage.

# 132 roadman @ 05/14/09 01:03 PM
Quote:
like i said the same things said last year.
Except there is a few big differences than last year that I didn't mention.

A. The QB ratings have been lowered.
B. Short, Medium, and Long passing accuracy have been added as well.

You can't tell me that is the same as last year.

# 133 Maelstrom-XIII @ 05/14/09 01:04 PM
Shame on you, bringing the doom and gloom to this thread...

But you have just as much right to be pessimistic as I do to be optimistic...

# 134 kwpit79 @ 05/14/09 01:07 PM
Quote:
Totally agree..I think that there are alot of QBs that would not fit into the WCO scheme because of the high degree of accuracy and timing that are required. Guys that have run it well are Hall a Famer type guys. Just look at Tavaris Jackson, he tries to run the WCO but it doesn't really work all that well. When he has success its when he is able to get longer looks and throw down field. His short game is not really that great and his ability to make real quick decisions is not where it needs to be.

Last season Jackson threw for 4 TDs against Arizona, he got offensive player of the week that week. His was at 59%, and that was his best game ever!

Just a bit of info, Warner last year who was basically tied with Pennington for highest completion % on the year was at 67%. He had 7 games where he was over 70% and 9 including the post season in which he threw 72% in the SB. That was a great game BTW.

You could argue that it happens alot. 9 times in one year, thats a good amount of games over 70%. Well here is the kicker, this is Kurt Warner we are talking about. This guy has been talked about as a possible Hall a Famer and lets remember, he was also talked about last year for league MVP. This guy is not the norm and he is not your average QB.
Good call on T. Jackson not having the skill-set to run a WCO. Micheal Vick had the same problem. He didn't have the necessary accuracy to consistently put up great numbers in that offense.

# 135 cedwebb @ 05/14/09 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom-XIII
I'm not saying that every QB should get these numbers...even for 1 game...but Hasselbeck isn't exactly chopped liver...he's much closer to Warner than T-Jack. So it's not out of the realm of possibility.

In 2005, Hasselbeck threw for 70+% in 7 games (including playoffs)...he even threw for 80+% twice...
Right on..I'm not saying Hasselbeck isn't a good QB, he is a good QB and he defenitely is one of the top rated QBs in the league right now that run the WCO. I don't follow the Seahawks that much but I am guessing when he put up those kinds of numbers he was a pro-bowler?

# 136 Maelstrom-XIII @ 05/14/09 01:11 PM
It was the year the Seahawks went to the Superbowl...I believe he was ProBowl that year...

# 137 cedwebb @ 05/14/09 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom-XIII
It was the year the Seahawks went to the Superbowl...I believe he was ProBowl that year...

LOL..oh yeah I think you are right. That was a great year for him. It was really looking like he was going to make that jump to being an elite QB. Of course he has had his problems since then but that was a special year for him. I guess to hammer my point even more, QBs that put up those kinds of numbers are usually playing well into the playoffs and having incredible seasons. That is not the norm though, and its tough to duplicate a season like that in the NFL.

# 138 countryboy @ 05/14/09 01:21 PM
Quote:
like i said the same things said last year.
thanks for the reminder.

And so that no one is caught off guard, I'm sure there will be plenty of things said this year that were said last year and at both ends of the spectrum.

# 139 dman1976 @ 05/14/09 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewto16

you are correct, sir. Also applies to NCAA 2009.

# 140 Donny_Moore @ 05/14/09 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Except there is a few big differences than last year that I didn't mention.

A. The QB ratings have been lowered.
B. Short, Medium, and Long passing accuracy have been added as well.

You can't tell me that is the same as last year.

+1

Not even close to 09.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.