Home
NHL 10 News Post

ESPN Videogames have posted NHL 10: Five Things to Know.

Quote:
"A lot of people loved Be a Pro mode last year where we put you down on the ice as a player. People love being on the ice," says Littman. "So when we were looking at our fighting this year and making fighting a big feature, putting you right there in the skates of an NHL player is our goal. That's why we went with first-person fighting. If you've played any first-person game, then you know how it feels -- you're right there in the scene. It's a much better way to be interactive than if you're looking in from a top-down view. So that's where we started with first-person fighting. Right now, it's looking pretty good because when you get punched, you get punched right in the face and it's coming at you right in your screen. This huge fist comes at you from this huge fighter, and it hits you in the face. And then you, you're doing all of your punching with the right stick, and of course you can also dodge and try to make him miss while you're throwing punches and trying to hit the other player while this big fist flies your way."

Game: NHL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 28 - View All
NHL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Acedeck @ 05/14/09 12:53 AM
"Now we've come to the point where we're still improving offense, defense and goalies, but we've done a really good job with those features already. What's left?

This comment worries me a lot, especially after hearing so much about fighting and physicality improvements. For starters, NHL 09 was no where even close to being where it has the potential to be from an AI and game-play aspect. There's absolutely zero board play, too little pressure from CPU defenders, and numerous flaws in the AI when it comes to money goals. In fact, I don't even think it's likely EA could fix the AI/game-play side of things in a two year window, let alone a one year window. There's a lot going on in hockey, and there's a lot to improve on the AI side of things before I would consider EA's NHL game anywhere close to the point where they can say "What's left?"

# 22 blinkfan77 @ 05/14/09 02:53 AM
The first thing I do when I fire this game up for the first time? Beat the **** out of Scott Walker with Milan Lucic. Can't wait.

I wish they would add goaltender interactions though. Interference would be awesome. Maybe they'll touch on it at some point. I doubt they add it though.

# 23 tabulaRasa @ 05/14/09 05:43 AM
Thatīs really cool and all, but how is the online ranked games going to play out if home team advantage is so big this year?

And is it just me or doesnīt the game already premier big teams like SJ and Anaheim ? Hope they keep it at a good level, I donīt want it to become a crazy checkfest ala old hockey.

# 24 FlyingFinn @ 05/14/09 07:19 AM
This has got cheese written all over it... Online is going to be a mess this year.

# 25 Jim236 @ 05/14/09 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acedeck
"Now we've come to the point where we're still improving offense, defense and goalies, but we've done a really good job with those features already. What's left?

This comment worries me a lot, especially after hearing so much about fighting and physicality improvements. For starters, NHL 09 was no where even close to being where it has the potential to be from an AI and game-play aspect. There's absolutely zero board play, too little pressure from CPU defenders, and numerous flaws in the AI when it comes to money goals. In fact, I don't even think it's likely EA could fix the AI/game-play side of things in a two year window, let alone a one year window. There's a lot going on in hockey, and there's a lot to improve on the AI side of things before I would consider EA's NHL game anywhere close to the point where they can say "What's left?"
Totally agree. As welcome as these new additions are (so long as they're not overdone), if the rest of the game hasn't recieved similar attention it'll be disappointing. I was really glad to hear they've re-worked both the passing engine and the goalies, but fundamental areas like puck physics, skating, shooting and defensive mechanics/AI still need some love I think. Here's hoping they haven't forgotten about the basics.

Also I couldn't agree more with Scottdau about new animations. I'd like to see players dropping a knee and really shooting the puck when they're fed the puck in front of the net - as of now they just kind of stand there frozen in their skates, and the puck just bounces of their stick at 80mph with little to no movement on the part of the player. Just generally far move movement is needed to make it look natural. With a new passing engine new passing animations would be awesome too. I don't really know how to describe the current ones, but it's a similar thing. I will say I've never seen a player make a 100ft breakout pass quite like that before. I think EA should look to 2k in the animation department - at least in terms of passing and shooting.

In any case, I'm still really looking forward to 10, and hopefully we'll be hearing more info soon.

# 26 tabulaRasa @ 05/14/09 09:03 AM
I was hoping for better board play and passing additions, like banking the puck off the boards or more manual aimed passing.

# 27 Flyermania @ 05/14/09 09:07 AM
Guys, this is just the tip of the iceberg as far as the info that will be coming out on the game. There is a lot to love & look forward to in NHL 10!

# 28 Money99 @ 05/14/09 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
Guys, this is just the tip of the iceberg as far as the info that will be coming out on the game. There is a lot to love & look forward to in NHL 10!
Glad to hear it! Thanks Flyermania!

# 29 Vince @ 05/14/09 09:22 AM
people are being so negative, yet the game doesn't come out for another 4 months...amazing...Litt's track record is proven...despite the bugs, nhl 07 was miles better than 06, 08 was better than 07 and 09 was an improvement over 08, especially post patch...i have so much confidence in these guys.

# 30 Jim236 @ 05/14/09 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
That's good to hear!

Just read the official press release and it's already addressed a couple of things that irked me.

"Players can one-time loose pucks, score from their knees, knock pucks out of the air and lift a leg to fake a shot on goal. A new 360° precision passing mechanic delivers control over the speed and direction of passes so players can bank passes off the boards or play the puck into space for teammates to skate on to it."

Awesome.

# 31 Qb @ 05/14/09 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
If someone face washes Apollo Creed, then he is going to get dropped.
Yes, he will, but by Ivan Drago. Anyone who has watched Rocky IV knows Drago > Creed. Besides, you'll be between the pipes anyways, so Drago will have to protect you.

As for the matter at hand, this is all going to depend on how well it's implemented/executed. I HATE seeing non-fighters fighting, but at the same time, everyone gets involved to some degree, particularly in the playoffs. It's going to require a tremendous amount of balance and almost certainly some post-release tuning once the masses get their grubby mitts on the game.

# 32 Money99 @ 05/14/09 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Yes, he will, but by Ivan Drago. Anyone who has watched Rocky IV knows Drago > Creed. Besides, you'll be between the pipes anyways, so Drago will have to protect you.

As for the matter at hand, this is all going to depend on how well it's implemented/executed. I HATE seeing non-fighters fighting, but at the same time, everyone gets involved to some degree, particularly in the playoffs. It's going to require a tremendous amount of balance and almost certainly some post-release tuning once the masses get their grubby mitts on the game.
I just hope that if someone drops the gloves and the other turtles, there'll be a 2 minute instigator handed out.

# 33 Qb @ 05/14/09 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
I just hope that if someone drops the gloves and the other turtles, there'll be a 2 minute instigator handed out.
Nah, let's go Blades of Steel and give the guy who loses the fight a penalty.

If you think about it, this could really add a tremendous layer of depth (and fun) to the game if it's done well. The NHL team has demonstrated that they want the game to represent NHL hockey in an authentic manner. I doubt that they'll throw that by the wayside by making this over-the-top "Slapshot" thuggery. They've also shown that they will support the product post-release and listen to the community while doing so.

If you take that as "let's give them the benefit of the doubt", so be it. Fact is, all we can do at this point is soak up the info and speculate. The proof will be in the proverbial pudding...

# 34 Money99 @ 05/14/09 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Thats exactly my outlook on it as well. Littman said during that interview the're adding more penalties as well, I think it would be pretty safe to assume instigator is one of them.

The way the're talking they really want to dirty the game up as it is IRL and remove that end to end, tape to tape game we currently have. They could have gone an easy route and just added basic board pinning and tweak passing to be less acurate, instead to me what it sounds the're doing is not only making the game grittier with the board play and 3rd and 4th liners having more of an impact, but adding a layer of depth by having line changes actually mean alot more than just getting fresh legs on the ice. Tell me once in an NHL 0x title where you've felt a 3rd or 4th liner is any different than a 1st liner? Hank for all the desire of player seperation and stars and scrubs having their own distinctive roles. I think this is actually what the're going for.

The more I think about the way they've described where the're going with it, the more sense it makes and the more excited I get for just how much of a different game we're going to get this year.
Absolutely. Despite all my gripes I'm very excited about everything I've read.
I'm just paranoid that anyone can be persuaded into a fight.

But everything I've read sounds fantastic. I can't wait!

# 35 ComaFaction @ 05/14/09 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
people are being so negative, yet the game doesn't come out for another 4 months...amazing...Litt's track record is proven...despite the bugs, nhl 07 was miles better than 06, 08 was better than 07 and 09 was an improvement over 08, especially post patch...i have so much confidence in these guys.

Exactly...they're just getting started on releasing details. And the team definitely has a strong enough track record that I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm stoked.

# 36 ChaseB @ 05/14/09 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb

IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE AN EXHIBITION!

While on the topic of goalies, I hope there is a bit more control to them this year so I don't feel like I'm fighting against the controls rather than the other team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
It will always be that way because it's really easy to be negative...

# 37 Money99 @ 05/14/09 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Yes, he will, but by Ivan Drago. Anyone who has watched Rocky IV knows Drago > Creed.
Drago couldn't touch a prime Creed.

Back to the game, I'm going to resurrect the career of Ogie Ogolthorpe:

# 38 Qb @ 05/14/09 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE AN EXHIBITION!
Except I wasn't drinking, I was eating a Heath bar. Now I have little chocolate & buttery toffee chunks all over my desk. Jerk...

Also, I scoff at the suggestion that Apollo Creed could, at any point in his career, defeat Ivan "Death from Above" Drago. Scoff I tell you!

# 39 ChaseB @ 05/14/09 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Except I wasn't drinking, I was eating a Heath bar. Now I have little chocolate & buttery toffee chunks all over my desk. Jerk...

Also, I scoff at the suggestion that Apollo Creed could, at any point in his career, defeat Ivan "Death from Above" Drago. Scoff I tell you!
The Master of Disaster, The King of Sting, The Dancing Destroyer, The Count of Monte Fisto, AND The Undisputed Champion of the WORLDDDDDDDDDD APOLLO CREED!

Drago wouldn't stand a chance.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.