Home
Madden 2010 News Post

IGN has posted their hands-on preview of Madden NFL 10.

Quote:
"Presentation, something that was seriously lacking in the first Madden iterations on current-gen systems, has seen a nice overhaul. Pre-game you'll notice camera angles that show concession stands handing hot dogs to fans and people making their way to their seats. During the action there will be detailed cutscenes (not the low-resolution models like in last year's game) showing players warming up on the sideline. If your quarterback is taking a licking on the field you'll see him trot over to the sideline and pick up a phone to talk to the coach's box. The chain gang is also present, as are all of the refs that should be on the field. And yes, you can truck into them.

Just don't run into them too hard or you might injure one of your star players. Do that, and you'll be greeted with a new injury mechanic. It won't happen immediately – depending on the severity of the injury your man might need to be helped off the field by other players – but once the problem is diagnosed you'll be shown a screen that tells you what's injured, how severe it is and then you'll be given the option to put him back in the game. You'll be given a rating that tells you how good he'll be once he's back on the field and you'll see the likelihood of him re-injuring himself. It's sort of like Blitz The League, but without the steroid use."

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 CreatineKasey @ 05/15/09 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Autumn Wind
The run and chuck is a big wait and see. So long as the CPU doesn't do it, it's fine. I'll never, ever play Madden online, so I won't have to worry about the Madden Nation crowd doing that ish to me. But it would be good if they made it significantly harder to do that and succeed. That's a big index, imo, of the game's commitment to sim or arcade style play.
That's funny, but also kind of disappointing (not disappointed in YOU, but in the game) that you completely refuse to even spend a morsel of your time online with Madden. Hopefully we can change that this season if everything goes as we expect. I agree with you, though. Those bad experiences just get burned into your memory forever. I remember some cheesy games clear as day... ('05 Eagles DE manual rush/2 man bump 2k5 DL glitch, 09' Scramble/lob).

# 82 BrianFifaFan @ 05/15/09 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
I thought it was cool to read you can quick switch to a nearby offensive player and help push the pile! I can imagine having a fight for a first down or TD and trying to get the FB or another lagging OL behind the pile to help grind out the last couple of inches.

It's kind of hard to take these kind of game reviewers seriously because like someone mentioned a few posts ago, their ratings don't really correllate with what we see in a game anyway. We are in the minority, though. What we care about isn't always what the standard gamer cares about.

Like Ian said, the guy was junking around in pro mode. I bet most of us will never even play once in pro mode. We look at this in a different light, a different detail than the average kid just wanting to sling the ball around.

Because of that I take the comments from the developers and group of OSers that played the game seriously, but other comments with a 2 pound *grain* of salt
See I'm still not feeling anyone being able to fling it 30 yards on the back-peddle with near-perfect accuracy, regardless of skill level. I'm more for the use of aids like D-assist for those who don't have the sticks or knowledge yet. Football is football. Madden has been a flawed interpretation of football. As long as they let stuff like that exist, it perpetuates a culture that has brought Madden to where we are all saying that it's broken. They need to take the leap of faith like Fifa is trying to and NHL and The Show. Not to mention the legend that PES is. Those games are acclaimed for trying to faithfully recreate the sports they represent.

Now before it sounds like I'm bashing the team, I'm not. I have much faith in them, Ian especially. But I'm just praying that they go all out with it, not half. Not get scared that they will alienate the fanbase or make it where little kids won't play it. If they are ever gonna have it where a coach can beat a tourney player, they've gotta get the game to be totally true to the sport and fun and accessible at the same time. Classic Madden gameplay needs to get shelved, just like Triple Play's brand of baseball.... Sim or Bust!

# 83 dman1976 @ 05/15/09 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
See I'm still not feeling anyone being able to fling it 30 yards on the back-peddle with near-perfect accuracy, regardless of skill level. I'm more for the use of aids like D-assist for those who don't have the sticks or knowledge yet. Football is football. Madden has been a flawed interpretation of football. As long as they let stuff like that exist, it perpetuates a culture that has brought Madden to where we are all saying that it's broken.

Lol, I know. Saw some of the reruns on madden nation....

# 84 NYyankz225 @ 05/15/09 03:54 PM
I disagree. A kid playing on rookie should not have to worry if his QB's feet are set to throw the ball. I have no problem with allowing leeway with passing accuracy on lower levels as long as All Pro and All Madden are sim-like. Just like player speed differentials are adjusted based on difficulty, so should the effect on accuracy for running back and chucking the ball. That doesnt make the game any less sim imo as long as proper physics are applied.

# 85 MelMan1486 @ 05/15/09 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tron8
why can't we buy this game now. How the hell am i supposed to wait 3 months?

Can we start a petition to have madden released at the beginning of summer haha
lol as if they don't have enough time already to make the game you wan't to shorten it?... I'd petition to have the game released every 2 years with a roster update in between

# 86 USF11 @ 05/15/09 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG 5
how about they have people demo the game who have actully played the game, not some ignorant who plays on rookie
Theres a balance thing here, I am all for a realistic pocket no doubt. But the average joe will hate being sacked in 3 seconds everyplay.

The reason the show is so good is that it has realism and a steep learning curve.

# 87 edaddy @ 05/15/09 04:00 PM
Quote:
See I'm still not feeling anyone being able to fling it 30 yards on the back-peddle with near-perfect accuracy, regardless of skill level. I'm more for the use of aids like D-assist for those who don't have the sticks or knowledge yet. Football is football. Madden has been a flawed interpretation of football. As long as they let stuff like that exist, it perpetuates a culture that has brought Madden to where we are all saying that it's broken. They need to take the leap of faith like Fifa is trying to and NHL and The Show. Not to mention the legend that PES is. Those games are acclaimed for trying to faithfully recreate the sports they represent.

Now before it sounds like I'm bashing the team, I'm not. I have much faith in them, Ian especially. But I'm just praying that they go all out with it, not half. Not get scared that they will alienate the fanbase or make it where little kids won't play it. If they are ever gonna have it where a coach can beat a tourney player, they've gotta get the game to be totally true to the sport and fun and accessible at the same time. Classic Madden gameplay needs to get shelved, just like Triple Play's brand of baseball.... Sim or Bust!
Excellent post man and I bet you convey the thoughts of a bunch of "SIM" posters on this site...While I am usually pessemistic and wary of developers coming to OS and marketing their brand without delivering on the final product..I get a totally different vibe and feeling about Ian..I think he is really trying to turn this Madden Culture around and make Madden a total representation of the sport...I don't expect for him to do it in one cycle though but I DO expect significant improvement from past editions as far as realistic gameplay and presentation...I laugh looking at that Madden Nation crap because it's not football..and I think Ian feels the same way...I think he is dedicated to making this where a coach can beat a tourney player...Let's hope we aren't wrong..LOL

# 88 MelMan1486 @ 05/15/09 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USF11
Theres a balance thing here, I am all for a realistic pocket no doubt. But the average joe will hate being sacked in 3 seconds everyplay.

The reason the show is so good is that it has realism and a steep learning curve.
Very true in regaurds to The Show. But I think the show is geared towards more of a mature audience who are ok with 100% realism whereas Madden needs to still appeal to the younger audience.

Last week my little cousin played The Show and got upset because Manny went 1-4 with a double and that every ball he threw wasn't a strike. In his case The Show is TOO REAL for him.

What I think Madden needs to do is add another difficulty level and keep the run and chuck for the 2 lower levels and the other levels make it "sim".

# 89 whoady4shoady @ 05/15/09 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusefan
Seriously, where have you been the past few years. EA has been making huge strides in Games. They Own Hockey and Soccar, they Are making great strides in basketball and Tiburon has righted the ship in Football.

I also think some of you guys are reading into the negative stuff a bit too much. Not only is Tiburon Aware of the issues brought up, but the game he was not close to being a finished product.
Yeah, you are right. Huge strides in everything but Madden............. and what game are we talking about? Yeah, thats right. Madden!

Madden has been a downright disgrace to any true football fan for the past 4 years.

# 90 mars85042 @ 05/15/09 04:09 PM
Every test no matter how insignificant has its place, this test was very similar to having a small child test the game & get there feed back. It is a necessary evil to get lots of feed back, at some point of looking at something to long you must get out side views to see clearly again. Its like proof reading your own report, new eye's see new flaws.

P.S. My little nephew loves the 30 yard drop back touchdown pass, just keep it on pro and not on all madden!

No chesse here, Go sim or go home!!!!!

# 91 mars85042 @ 05/15/09 04:13 PM
Madden nation is not the best madden players, it’s the best Madden cheesers!

# 92 RogueHominid @ 05/15/09 04:14 PM
Quote:

IMO, this is the real limit term for the future of the franchise--not the intentions of the team but the expectations of the base.

As far as the issue of throwing far while running backwards, I think it's okay that it happens, but here's how you have to contextualize it: Elway, Marino, Favre.

I've seen those guys do things that defy the traditional rules of good quarterback play on a fairly regular basis. But they're singular players, once or twice in a generation type players.

Sure, some guys can make an ill-advised but successful throw with decent zip while moving backward from time to time, but for most QB's it's a very bad idea.

This raises a larger question that I had relative to the issue of QB accuracy: zip.

I wonder if guys will have different amounts of "hang time" on their throws, like real life. This is crucial. If you run back and throw with a guy who lacks an elite arm, that ball should hang, big time, and allow the defense time to break.

There should also be different hang times on regular throws. Pennington is an extreme example, but his throws float. They're accurate, but not quick. This should factor into how short, medium, and long throws come out.

# 93 blklightning @ 05/15/09 04:15 PM
meh. every year ign hypes the newest madden as the next big thing.

# 94 whoady4shoady @ 05/15/09 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
Well, first of all, I don't really see this as a bad preview. Sure he can have gameplay and camera feedback about an alpha build that's in progress, but all the rest of the rather glowing praise seemed to make me feel pretty good.

Regardless, his concerns are all valid, but again all things are still very much in progress. The entirety of the pocket stuff is still being worked on and tuned...the pocket and gang tackles are our big remaining items...making sure you can't scramble out, making sure you actually get pressure, etc. Just so everyone knows, Nate was also playing on Pro mode - a mode where we are very purposely making it easier to stay in the pocket. It's quite a culture shock to have defenders right in your face after 20 years of not worrying about it.

We all know the fumble pileup thing is going to be totally subjective within the community, and though it is extremely rare (played a full 10 min qtr game yesterday, had 3 fumbles, and didn't see it), you still have the option to turn it off.

Anyway, I am hoping that you can take more away from the article - the gameplay tuning items are very valid but they are also in progress.

Oh well, worry away.
What you have to remember is that many of us played 2k5 and All PRo 2k, and we are use to a real pocket and the pressure that comes from it. Many if not all of us expect a football game that comes out many years later to be at least up to par in such an important aspect of the game of football as a last gen game.

Is this really asking to much Ian? Thanks in advance.

P.S. I must laugh at your use of culture shock. Please dont take it personally.

# 95 RGiles36 @ 05/15/09 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning
meh. every year ign hypes the newest madden as the next big thing.
IMO, that's what makes this preview stick out. I'm used to IGN drooling over the new edition of Madden. However, the author made some valid points about things that needed to be worked on and actually seemed to have a clue about football and some of the previous flaws in the past games.

# 96 BrianFifaFan @ 05/15/09 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYyankz225
I disagree. A kid playing on rookie should not have to worry if his QB's feet are set to throw the ball. I have no problem with allowing leeway with passing accuracy on lower levels as long as All Pro and All Madden are sim-like. Just like player speed differentials are adjusted based on difficulty, so should the effect on accuracy for running back and chucking the ball. That doesnt make the game any less sim imo as long as proper physics are applied.

See I'd say to continue to slow the game down and offer CPU assitance to even the kid. I wouldn't even argue about not punishing them totally on ratings. Then he "feels" like he's done it and the integrity of the game (football) is intact. Then he's both learning how to play a videogame well and learning football fundimentals at the same time. It'll be like giving a kid a Leapfrog, instead of just a gaming system. And it really would help the average joe who doesn't have the best sticks. He wants to be Peyton Manning and the CPU will help him to do it. But Average Joe who wants the casual fix will still say WTH when he sees someone run back 20 yards and fling a strike for 50. The football purity should overule all, or it just looks hokey after a while, and the game will never grow and neither will sales...

# 97 JMD @ 05/15/09 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xX CASCABEL Xx
This Quote:

''But honestly, I didn't feel it much in my demo with a pre-beta build. I was able to still hold back on the left stick and run away from my offensive line before flinging a pass thirty yards to a receiver. I never got sacked and rarely felt pressure from the outside like the new pocket design intends''

I know it is a work in progress, however this must not be in the game...
Yeah, this must get corrected before this game releases. If you can still run all over the place and throw a perfect pass the game will be junk. I am so very sick of dealing with this online constantly. Please fix this.

# 98 CreatineKasey @ 05/15/09 04:36 PM
I was alluding to the idea that the IGN reviewer is like a kid playing madden. He has very limited football knowledge. I gleaned this judgment through the type of criticism he had.

# 99 BrianFifaFan @ 05/15/09 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Autumn Wind
IMO, this is the real limit term for the future of the franchise--not the intentions of the team but the expectations of the base.

As far as the issue of throwing far while running backwards, I think it's okay that it happens, but here's how you have to contextualize it: Elway, Marino, Favre.

I've seen those guys do things that defy the traditional rules of good quarterback play on a fairly regular basis. But they're singular players, once or twice in a generation type players.

Sure, some guys can make an ill-advised but successful throw with decent zip while moving backward from time to time, but for most QB's it's a very bad idea.

This raises a larger question that I had relative to the issue of QB accuracy: zip.

I wonder if guys will have different amounts of "hang time" on their throws, like real life. This is crucial. If you run back and throw with a guy who lacks an elite arm, that ball should hang, big time, and allow the defense time to break.

There should also be different hang times on regular throws. Pennington is an extreme example, but his throws float. They're accurate, but not quick. This should factor into how short, medium, and long throws come out.
Totally agree with all, 100%. But the base thing really irks me. Do these guys actually want football? I'm in that tiny crowd that wants my perfect slant for the TD to be called back for my knucklehead RT holding the elite DE. And then I want to go to replay and, sure enough there's the takedown. Damn! But, it was because my RT is highly outmatched in ratings and the right play was called against my poor choice to not go max protect to help him out. Every year I max out the penalty sliders and it's still not realistic. And I think it's because they are doing the delicate balance between "sim" and fun. Heck, even my beloved Fifa has a Producer that wont put handballs in the game. Huh? You have the most advanced collision detection that has ever been in a sports game and worry that people wont like handballs? WTH? Soccer 101.

The base needs to follow the game, not the other way. And I really believe they will. And I'm loving your ideas about hanging balls that get picked. If the guy can't throw off the back foot, make the player learn he can't. The hard way. 'Nuff said.... Good post!

# 100 Rashad19 @ 05/15/09 04:44 PM
Overall this sounds like an honest interpretation of the game in its current state. I'm not worried as Ian and crew know what issues need to be addressed. They have a few months left to tune this game to where it needs to be and I expect them to ship out a high quality product.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.