Home
Madden 2010 News Post

IGN has posted their hands-on preview of Madden NFL 10.

Quote:
"Presentation, something that was seriously lacking in the first Madden iterations on current-gen systems, has seen a nice overhaul. Pre-game you'll notice camera angles that show concession stands handing hot dogs to fans and people making their way to their seats. During the action there will be detailed cutscenes (not the low-resolution models like in last year's game) showing players warming up on the sideline. If your quarterback is taking a licking on the field you'll see him trot over to the sideline and pick up a phone to talk to the coach's box. The chain gang is also present, as are all of the refs that should be on the field. And yes, you can truck into them.

Just don't run into them too hard or you might injure one of your star players. Do that, and you'll be greeted with a new injury mechanic. It won't happen immediately – depending on the severity of the injury your man might need to be helped off the field by other players – but once the problem is diagnosed you'll be shown a screen that tells you what's injured, how severe it is and then you'll be given the option to put him back in the game. You'll be given a rating that tells you how good he'll be once he's back on the field and you'll see the likelihood of him re-injuring himself. It's sort of like Blitz The League, but without the steroid use."

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 xX CASCABEL Xx @ 05/15/09 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
Hmm.

Let's say there are 5 million copies of Madden sold this year. Of those Madden 10 buyers, how many do you think have played more than one previous Madden iteration? 1 million? 2 million? 4 million? It's definitely way over half.

Now, how many Madden 10 buyers played APF 2k8? 10,000? (How many copies did they sell?) And in respect to 2k5, even if say 500k of the Madden 10 players played 2k5, that was 5 years ago...I can't expect someone to remember their game style from back then.

A very high percentage of the Madden fanbase is used to "not" having a pocket. So on pro mode, we make the pocket a much safer place to be than we do on all-pro. So if Nate wasn't "feeling the pressure" that much, that's actually how we want it to be. It would be a total dumb move to make it so casual Madden fans get sacked every other play the first time they boot up Madden NFL 10. Nate (and everyone) can always step up a skill level if they want it to feel like an NFL experience.

However, the end tuning goal is to make you pay if you actually drop way out of the pocket...but it's early and that's not there yet.

I just hope it is like what we see on Sunday, you run out of the pocket you get killed...

# 122 Lava @ 05/15/09 08:27 PM
Ian, it's tough to tell from these couple of screenshots involving my Titans (which I love! ) but it looks like you did fix the helmet stripe stopping near the top of the helmet. Can you confirm?

# 123 Valdarez @ 05/15/09 08:48 PM
Was there a reason he didn't talk about the passing in detail, and zone versus manage coverage on defense? We really haven't received any information on the passing game, or how the defense covers the pass.

# 124 Da Bears @ 05/15/09 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Was there a reason he didn't talk about the passing in detail, and zone versus manage coverage on defense? We really haven't received any information on the passing game, or how the defense covers the pass.
I guess we will have to wait until june (E3)

# 125 jfsolo @ 05/15/09 08:54 PM
Quote:
Hmm.

Let's say there are 5 million copies of Madden sold this year. Of those Madden 10 buyers, how many do you think have played more than one previous Madden iteration? 1 million? 2 million? 4 million? It's definitely way over half.

Now, how many Madden 10 buyers played APF 2k8? 10,000? (How many copies did they sell?) And in respect to 2k5, even if say 500k of the Madden 10 players played 2k5, that was 5 years ago...I can't expect someone to remember their game style from back then.

A very high percentage of the Madden fanbase is used to "not" having a pocket. So on pro mode, we make the pocket a much safer place to be than we do on all-pro. So if Nate wasn't "feeling the pressure" that much, that's actually how we want it to be. It would be a total dumb move to make it so casual Madden fans get sacked every other play the first time they boot up Madden NFL 10. Nate (and everyone) can always step up a skill level if they want it to feel like an NFL experience.

However, the end tuning goal is to make you pay if you actually drop way out of the pocket...but it's early and that's not there yet.
Whats interesting, if not ironic, is that most of the reviews for Madden 10 will be based off a difficulty level that isn't going to show the best that the game has to offer concerning gameplay and A.I.

This happens with all sports games of course, but it seems like it may have extra significance this year when the D Team is making such a concerted effort to create an authentic NFL experience.

We know the OS reviewer will put the game through its paces, and give a thorough itemization of all the areas in which the game has improved, but many, if not most, of the general gaming sites will probably stick to Pro, thus painting an inaccurate picture of the games' actual progress as it pertains to mimicking real life football.

# 126 deltroy @ 05/15/09 09:15 PM
Quote:
Ye of little faith...and from a fellow Giants fan no less!
I have faith Ian as well I should I am a die hard Bills fan

# 127 Sauk @ 05/15/09 09:27 PM
Is it me or does Ian Cummings look like Tony Romo and even talk like him

# 128 Candyman5 @ 05/15/09 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lava
Ian, it's tough to tell from these couple of screenshots involving my Titans (which I love! ) but it looks like you did fix the helmet stripe stopping near the top of the helmet. Can you confirm?

Is that a hole in the middle of the line, and its not even a run play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

# 129 dman1976 @ 05/15/09 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauk
Is it me or does Ian Cummings look like Tony Romo and even talk like him
lol yep

# 130 Bgamer90 @ 05/15/09 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
Whats interesting, if not ironic, is that most of the reviews for Madden 10 will be based off a difficulty level that isn't going to show the best that the game has to offer concerning gameplay and A.I.

This happens with all sports games of course, but it seems like it may have extra significance this year when the D Team is making such a concerted effort to create an authentic NFL experience.

We know the OS reviewer will put the game through its paces, and give a thorough itemization of all the areas in which the game has improved, but many, if not most, of the general gaming sites will probably stick to Pro, thus painting an inaccurate picture of the games' actual progress as it pertains to mimicking real life football.
Yeah and that kinda makes it bad since they'll consider it a problem with the game when that's just what happens in the lower difficulty settings.

I know EA places an embargo on the reviews... I wonder if they could also force the sites to base their review on all-pro and/or all-madden...

# 131 adembroski @ 05/15/09 10:19 PM
For the record, there were 33 throwing styles at Community Day... not all of them were working, so maybe they've removed them, and maybe they've addeds some. From what I remember, I think it was every starter LAST year plus one generic one (meaning Favre and Garcia... not currently starters... were there... strangely, Alex Smith is the 49ers QB from last year to get in, not O'Sullivan or Hill).

# 132 kjcheezhead @ 05/15/09 10:37 PM
I don't know about changing the angle, but damn that pocket looks pretty! I love what i am seeing and hearing but then again, IGN said this about madden 09...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJojF...eature=related

I've lost my faith Ian, but I am searching and praying as we speak..

"Oh God, Please let this game be the Megan Fox of all football video games!"

# 133 whoady4shoady @ 05/15/09 10:43 PM
Quote:
Hmm.

That is all you had to say. Thank you so much Ian.

# 134 K_GUN @ 05/15/09 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG 5

btw, where are you guys getting the community day info from?

he's one of the attendees

aka 'the elite 8'

# 135 KyGamerLT @ 05/15/09 10:55 PM
Good Job Ian, I know the game will play a lot better when it's time to ship and people will just say WoW and scream like school girls when they pop madden 2010 in. I'm sure there will be problems but we are about to experience 9 man gang tackling and a more realistic game we should be happy for that.

Some people should think about what level the game is being played on, like when ian was showing a play and hit ward deep like it was nothin (not saying you're horrible in the game Ian) you could tell it wasn't on all madden ( I hope all madden is online this year) so it will be easy. The game will have it's flaws but nothin is wrong with improvement.

# 136 MattIntellect @ 05/15/09 10:57 PM
Hopefully Ian reaches his goal of having you to pay if you leave the pocket.

# 137 TreyIM2 @ 05/15/09 11:07 PM
Ian, my dude, thanks for responding. I posted on the IGN PS3 posting of the hands on and hopefully, all will be panned out. I really have nothing to say cuz I'm actually hyperventilating about this game, currently, because I cannot wait. U sound like u have everything under control. I have no doubts that this not only will go down as the GREATEST Madden ever but the GREATEST football game of all time. Keep up the great work.

# 138 kmart2180 @ 05/16/09 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
For the record, there were 33 throwing styles at Community Day... not all of them were working, so maybe they've removed them, and maybe they've addeds some. From what I remember, I think it was every starter LAST year plus one generic one (meaning Favre and Garcia... not currently starters... were there... strangely, Alex Smith is the 49ers QB from last year to get in, not O'Sullivan or Hill).
Bummer although I dont plan on keeping Hill past 1 season in Madden. If would have been cool as sh!t to see his weird dropback and Release.

Overall Great Read! The review was fair. Things just continue to get better. Love the fact that there are alot of qb styles.

# 139 roadman @ 05/16/09 01:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONF
Food for thought and something you will remember for the rest of your life.

You ever wonder why Kirby vacuum cleaners do not sell in our local stores? I mean they are supposed to be the best vacuum cleaners in the world. Pick up the most dirt in comparison to any other!!

Well, Kirby executives chose to personalize themselves with the consumer. Go to their homes, create a bond and trust. Demonstrate to them the benefits of their vacuum cleaner over all other brands. Sell them the dream!!! And guess what, they sell a massive amount of vacuum cleaners by doing so. The real deal is their vacuum cleaner is no better than the top dollar vacuum cleaner at Walmart. The Marketing/advertising difference is the bond/trust created by the sales rep in your home.

Max your sales effort, use the forums (similar to our home), the rest is history.
Nice story, but I don't really feel the forums make a major dent into Madden sales.

# 140 JB0B0 @ 05/16/09 02:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by g2thecore
First of all, it was NOT a review. Second, how did he rip Madden?

He said great things about the game, and pointed out some obvious issues that are expected in a pre-beta build. How's that "ripping" Madden?
well i took a different view from reading it. it seemed to me like he bashed the game more than praising it. i still expect a good game this year though. everyone has their own opinions on games. just go check out the fight night round 4 boards for an example lool

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.