Home
Madden 2010 News Post

EA has just posted another Madden NFL 10 blog. Ian talks about revamping how injuries work.

Quote:
"Welcome back Madden faithful, it’s Monday and that means it’s time for another blog! This week we wanted to go into some depth about a new feature you can expect to see in Madden NFL 10: our revamped injury system. Hopefully this new addition is just one (of many) that continues to prove that we are focused on delivering an authentic NFL experience to our fans – and that while we are still ensuring to innovate in every single iteration, that innovation has to come inside of what’s core to NFL simulation football. As we said in our [mission statement] way back in January, we aren’t about gimmicks, we are here to create an authentic representation of the sport. “Everything You See On Sunday, See It In Madden NFL”…injuries are a major part of that.

Along with the obvious concern for the well-being of the athlete, there are also typically very major ramifications to the team when a player gets hurt. How serious is the injury? Can the player continue to play hurt even with the risk of re-injury? How well can his backup fill in if he is out? How will the team adjust to continue without him? Will their opponent exploit the loss of the starter? We wanted to emulate all of this strategy, suspense, and emotion behind injuries in Madden NFL 10."

Madden NFL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 d3athb4dishonor @ 05/18/09 10:56 PM
Hopefully this means if you have a knee injury your player isn't holding his shoulder.

# 122 lgxjames @ 05/18/09 11:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattIntellect
Great blog!
2nd

# 123 83evans @ 05/19/09 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Autumn Wind
Really cool stuff this week. I love:
--the decision making process, this stuff is core to football and so must be in
--the independent rendering and sequencing of injuries (knees work on their own, shoulders on their own, and all tie to in-game ratings that affect the area
--the importance this places on depth

For further consideration:
--it would be cool for toughness to matter, so that some guys will play hurt to varying degrees and others won't play with even relatively minor dings. Emmitt's playoff game vs. NYG with a separated shoulder would be one extreme, Tony Romo with the finger would be another (I just, 'Boys fans, but only slightly).

Great blog and great feature!

Donte Whitner had a seperated shoulder for half of last season and he played through it. Realy, Emmits game was nice, but its happened before. Leftwhich in Marshall also

# 124 ridemooses @ 05/19/09 02:57 AM
I'm LOVING the new injury additions in addition to the mention of Jim Sorgi, that dude is a BALLER as Peyton Manning's back up. Representing the 608, also was kind of concerned when I saw Aaron Kampman at LOLB thought he would be a ROLB guess not tho. Excited to see the finished product of this year's game.

# 125 Exonerated @ 05/19/09 03:05 AM
There's not enough love for Jim Sorgi. He runs the exact same offense as Peyton Manning. Give the man his props.

# 126 g2thecore @ 05/19/09 04:08 AM
What kind of props does Jim Sorgi deserve? The guy never did nothing in the league.

# 127 BrianFifaFan @ 05/19/09 06:56 AM
They've added stomachaches as a new injury to replaced Bursitis! "Dang a brotha need to take a dump!" Burrito is killing me!

# 128 lint @ 05/19/09 07:39 AM
Here would be a nice easter egg....

If a player gets injured and you hit a few buttons in a certain order you are treated to the cart from madden 93 (or whatever year the cart was in)

Ok nm that was a bad idea, but this is a nice edition.

# 129 brza37 @ 05/19/09 08:07 AM
Looks good. Definitely an improvement but I was also a bit disappointed not to hear that the career tracking of injuries like in HC 09 wasn't mentioned.
For those not familiar with Head Coach 09 for each player they had different health ratings per body part. So if a player had multiple right knee surgeries his health level for his right leg would be lower than other body parts and more susceptible to re-injury even after it had healed.
It would be nice to get some confirmation on whether this made its way to Madden 10 too but just wasn't discussed in the blog.
It really added to the strategy in FA and the draft. You had to weigh the talent of a player against his injury history and sometimes decide to go with a player with lesser talent just because you didn't want to take the risk that the more talented player with an injury history would spend most of his time hurt.

# 130 countryboy @ 05/19/09 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
They've added stomachaches as a new injury to replaced Bursitis! "Dang a brotha need to take a dump!" Burrito is killing me!

LMFAO!!! Only you BriFi...only you.

# 131 AllenRulz00 @ 05/19/09 08:17 AM
OMG, This game is going to be freaking awesome

# 132 TDKing @ 05/19/09 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgod8
HUGE CONCERN - after reading this article one thing leapt off the page at me....." Re-injury risk is increased for online and play now (since people won’t have to worry about long term injuries, we still wanted to add a risk to playing with someone that’s hurt)"

- No online franchise????
I thought the samething when I read that line.

# 133 greenegt @ 05/19/09 09:39 AM
I continue to be in awe at the changes this year. Fantastic stuff.

# 134 C the Lyte @ 05/19/09 09:42 AM
I gotta say Madden 10 is looking very promising. Past couple games on the 360 have been good, but not great by no means, which, in my book, is NOT Madden worthy. Madden has been the premiere NAME in sports games for quite a while, hopefully it will now be the premier GAME

# 135 Da Bears @ 05/19/09 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetaa6
So with Rewind still an option in the game this year (I THINK it is?), in that Peyton Manning example the user could choose Rewind to undo Manning getting injured??? Or does an injury prevent Rewind??

**And I'm fully aware...not everyone uses the Rewind feature.
I never did like the rewind feature theirs no do overs in football.only if their is a flag down or something.

# 136 green94 @ 05/19/09 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by madchuck
BIG IAN...I have a suggestion. In the old Maddens PS2, when you put a injured player in that player would have equipment representing that injury. For example, if the player had a rolled ankle, it will be taped when he came back in. If a player blew out his knee he will come back with a Knee Brace. I even believe they had the "club" for offensive lineman one year. If you can get that in it will be good. REAL TALK!
Wow, completely forgot about this. That would really take it to the next level.

# 137 Da Bears @ 05/19/09 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by green94
Wow, completely forgot about this. That would really take it to the next level.
I did to, if we can get that with the new injury features.it would be really sweet.

# 138 Eman5805 @ 05/19/09 11:11 AM
I haven't bought a Madden game since 2007, and it disappointed me so bad. None of the Maddens after that looked anywhere near as good as this does. I'm a lil stoked right now...

# 139 brza37 @ 05/19/09 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krioniq
The only question that I leave this blog with is this: is there any sort of concept of player health over the course of his career in franchise mode beyond the player's injury rating, a la the body part health thing in NFL Head Coach 09?

Other than that, this is a nice add.
I see I'm not the only person interested in this. Hope we get an answer.

# 140 xanmank @ 05/19/09 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
I like all the of details about the injury system. The progressive injury is awesome. Good to see new injury animations occur if you play with a hurt player.

My only issue is if there isnt a health system in M10(something like Head Coach) then its all really pointless. If I tear my ACL IRL my knee is not going to be as strong when I return. I will in fact have an increased chance of rehurting my knee. Even if I do the proper rehab and "fully" recover my knee will never be the same.

I hope there is a health system and yall are just waiting to release it at a later time. I just figured now would have been a great time to release it with the injury system because of how closely they relate to each other.

I was a little dissapointed they didn't mention a health system like HC, but like you said, hopefully they mention it at a later time.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.