Home
Madden 2010 News Post

Joystiq has posted their hands-on preview of Madden NFL 10.

It's a pretty standard article, with two interesting tidbits.

1.) They mention that Madden 10 plays EXACTLY like past iterations, just with Pro-Tak. As a site that doesn't really specialize in sports gaming, I'll take that with a grain of salt. It's still worrisome.

2.) They mention that there will be an "enhanced franchise mode" and a new presentation mode called "The Emotion of the NFL". I haven't heard anything about either of these, so it is interesting.

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 KANE699 @ 05/18/09 05:20 PM
Bwahahahahahaha plays the exact same.

God some of these tools I swear.

I also have not heard about the emotion of the nfl.

# 2 Bgamer90 @ 05/18/09 05:26 PM
"This year is no different and besides Pro-Tak we'll be seeing an enhanced franchise mode, and a presentation mode called "The Emotion of the NFL," which we'll be taking a look at down the line, but we'd like to see Madden take some risks with their engine and possibly try a new approach to the game. But since this is a cash cow for EA, we doubt they'll risk the loss in development time to really innovate."

Wow...

I know that people have their own opinions about the game but how could you say this after the game speed drop, pro-tak, real pockets, etc...

If that isn't a "new (sim) approach", compared to previous years then I don't know what is...

# 3 MelMan1486 @ 05/18/09 05:26 PM
That's why I don't even bother to go to that site.

# 4 blocknose @ 05/18/09 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgamer90
"This year is no different and besides Pro-Tak we'll be seeing an enhanced franchise mode, and a presentation mode called "The Emotion of the NFL," which we'll be taking a look at down the line, but we'd like to see Madden take some risks with their engine and possibly try a new approach to the game. But since this is a cash cow for EA, we doubt they'll risk the loss in development time to really innovate."

Wow...

I know that people have their own opinions about the game but how could you say this after the game speed drop, pro-tak, real pockets, etc...

If that isn't a "new (sim) approach", compared to previous years then I don't know what is...
if its like what we saw when jimmy fallon played the game and dropped back 30 yards and threw a bomb that was caught over 2 players it hasnt changed

# 5 Bgamer90 @ 05/18/09 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blocknose
if its like what we saw when jimmy fallon played the game and dropped back 30 yards and threw a bomb that was caught over 2 players it hasnt changed
They set it that way on rookie/pro for the casuals.

You don't want to alienate a lot of the people who played previous years of madden...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrville
This isnt the only website to say it plays like the past games.
G4 said it too...

Joystiq/G4 are more overall gaming news sources. They don't have a certain person that reviews sports games and they don't go in depth either in terms of talking about them (that is, when they do which in itself is rarely).

# 6 Deegeezy @ 05/18/09 05:54 PM
The people saying Madden plays the same as last year are people that played less than 10 games of Madden '09. I guarantee it.

Places like G4 and Joystiq are not the most reliable when it comes to sports gaming. They're better for analyzing World of Warcraft type stuff or "The Sims."

# 7 TDogg09 @ 05/18/09 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlyrzNumber1
I think it's a bit funny that somebody who never played the game before, is criticizing Joystiq's impressions of the game (a site that actually played the game, that has been on point about a number of gaming matters over the years).
KANE699 played it.

# 8 Bgamer90 @ 05/18/09 06:04 PM
Quote:
I think it's a bit funny that somebody who never played the game before, is criticizing Joystiq's impressions of the game (a site that actually played the game, that has been on point about a number of gaming matters over the years).
I've never played the game before but still, to say that the game isn't taking any new approaches and feels the same is just in a way kinda mind blowing to me since this has to be the biggest change in madden that I can ever remember.

I'm not saying that they should get all positive and stuff but when a site says something like "The game feels exactly the same as 09.", it shows me that they probably didn't spend that long with previous maddens due to all of the additions being made to the gameplay of Madden 10.

# 9 roadman @ 05/18/09 06:06 PM
Quote:
This isnt the only website to say it plays like the past games.

The "sim" improvements won't be noticeable to Joe Causal Gamer, they should be to OSer's and the hardcore.

If you are referring to IGN and Joystick, they aren't considered sports game reviewers or previewers.

# 10 roadman @ 05/18/09 06:07 PM
Quote:
Sorry, Kane already played it. I'll take his word over some gaming ragtag.

Oh, but that rights, I forgot, he was wined and dined, so, he will have bias.

# 11 CreatineKasey @ 05/18/09 06:09 PM
Quote:
+1

It's too early to jump on websites for something you've never seen, only heard from developers who MAKE THE GAME. You guys will discredit yourselves by criticizing something you know nothing about. We are better than that here at OS.

# 12 Bgamer90 @ 05/18/09 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
+1

It's too early to jump on websites for something you've never seen, only heard from developers who MAKE THE GAME. You guys will discredit yourselves by criticizing something you know nothing about. We are better than that here at OS.
We have heard more impressions from people outside of just the developers...

# 13 roadman @ 05/18/09 06:20 PM
Quote:
+1

Maybe you were not around the forums in early April, but Ian chose 8 folks to come down and pick apart Madden. They were all from OS and gave out constructive criticism of the Madden series.

I've know of these posters for a least 2 years, some more than that,and a few less than that.

I'll take those that I know here at OS over any gaming site on the net.

# 14 CreatineKasey @ 05/18/09 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Maybe you were not around the forums in early April, but Ian chose 8 folks to come down and pick apart Madden. They were all from OS and gave out constructive criticism of the Madden series.

I've know of these posters for a least 2 years, some more than that,and a few less than that.

I'll take those that I know here at OS over any gaming site on the net.
I was. I just don't like seeing this criticism. It feels unfounded to me. Yes, we had people come play the game and say they liked it. The people that are talking down any criticism aren't these people.

Were these opinions discussed constructively? nope... just junk like "This is why I hate such and such site".

How about constructing a thought? Let's see... maybe from what we've heard they don't appreciate the intricacies we look for a in a football game. Gleaning from what they said, maybe the casual player will not fully acknowledge changes that we find game changing. That could be an interesting perspective to keep in mind as the game's information is released. The reviewer probably doesn't know football, and to the common player it might feel the same.

That's a valid observation. No need to hate. Maybe casual fans won't think it's different. Again - we are better here at OS. I go here for stimulating discussions on football and Madden, not silly comments like these. I'm just a bit disappointed.

# 15 Bgamer90 @ 05/18/09 06:29 PM
Quote:
How about constructing a thought? Let's see... maybe from what we've heard they don't appreciate the intricacies we look for a in a football game. Gleaning from what they said, maybe the casual player will not fully acknowledge changes that we find game changing. That could be an interesting perspective to keep in mind as the game's information is released. The reviewer probably doesn't know football, and to the common player it might feel the same.

That's a valid observation. No need to hate. Maybe casual fans won't think it's different. Again - we are better here at OS. I go here for stimulating discussions on football and Madden, not silly comments like these. I'm just a bit disappointed.
That's basically what I said in my post.

I don't know if you are referring to me though...

# 16 Bgamer90 @ 05/18/09 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brnto4life
Jeez, I was hoping people would comment more on the fact that Joystiq talked about these new updates to franchise and this supposed "presentation mode". I should have known better though...
The new updates to franchise mode have been known for a while now. The new presentation mode seems interesting, but since they didn't say anything about it I can't really comment on it...

# 17 Bgamer90 @ 05/18/09 06:34 PM
Quote:
Again, that begs the question: If you were one of 8 (out of thousands of people), to be flown in to Madden's development studio, to play an early version of the game (some people drive hundreds of miles, and pay hundreds of dollars over retail price to play the game 24 hours before it's available at a local retailers), and give your feedback -- do you think you could come back to the message board, and be 100% unbiased with your opinion of what you played?

As truthful, fair, and unbiased that I believe I am; If I were one of the lucky "8", I'd have a hard time being frank about my impressions of the game, even if I didn't see a single improvement. Maybe this is a personal problem, but I can only trust my intuition on the matter. The lucky 8's opinion (outside of maybe LBzrule, as he hasn't been as dedicated an apologist as some of the others), IMO, is clumped in with the rest of the Madden/EA team, whose word is on questionable merit with me given their track record.
They have all gave a bunch of things that were still wrong with the game in its stage during the time...

Please don't turn this into another "question the credibility of the testers" thread.

# 18 CreatineKasey @ 05/18/09 06:38 PM
Quote:
BTW what is a site that you guys would trust when giving an opinion about Madden 10?
One that says madden is the best game ever?!

Really I'm interested to read this response too, I'm aware of any good game review sites. I go to gamefaqs.com sometimes and read user reviews, but I rarely trust published website reviews.

# 19 roadman @ 05/18/09 06:39 PM
Quote:
BTW what is a site that you guys would trust when giving an opinion about Madden 10?
Os and me.

That's it.

# 20 roadman @ 05/18/09 06:40 PM
Quote:
I was. I just don't like seeing this criticism. It feels unfounded to me. Yes, we had people come play the game and say they liked it. The people that are talking down any criticism aren't these people.

Were these opinions discussed constructively? nope... just junk like "This is why I hate such and such site".

That's basically what I said in a post prior to this one you quoted, but that one goes ignored.

It slices both ways.

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.