Home
Madden 2010 News Post

Joystiq has posted their hands-on preview of Madden NFL 10.

It's a pretty standard article, with two interesting tidbits.

1.) They mention that Madden 10 plays EXACTLY like past iterations, just with Pro-Tak. As a site that doesn't really specialize in sports gaming, I'll take that with a grain of salt. It's still worrisome.

2.) They mention that there will be an "enhanced franchise mode" and a new presentation mode called "The Emotion of the NFL". I haven't heard anything about either of these, so it is interesting.

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 spankdatazz22 @ 05/18/09 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrville
BTW what is a site that you guys would trust when giving an opinion about Madden 10?
For many, any site that reaffirms what they want to believe - be it positive or negative

# 42 PlatooN @ 05/18/09 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlyrzNumber1
When somebody with the game, claims that the game feels exactly like last years version (Joystiq), and another poster questions the credibility of that site, the natural course of conversation will be about the sites credibility.

Then wait for a blog, or somebody to post something with more details about those particular areas of the game.
your rite..my mistake..i guess i'll just have to wait for the blog and i extend my most sincere apologies to you for showing interest in those 2 M10 features and not talking about who has the best site. thanks for showing me the light

# 43 Colladie @ 05/18/09 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netherscourge
I hope so too - but it seems like it's not going to get there yet. I mean, they're still dragging their feet about extra camera angles... The fact that they had to post a thread with a Poll asking our opinions means they dont' really feel like working on it for some strange reason... as if the poll was to try and justify NOT wanting to work on it.

But they do the easy stuff like cleat colors for the freaks who make noise about it.

How can you have "Emotion of the NFL" if you don't have a TV-style Broadcast camera as an option?

I don't know... hopefully, E3 will reveal everything and some surprises. At this point, I'm 100 % focused on presentation and I don't even care about game modes or anymore gameplay gimmicks. Gameplay can get boring too if it's not spiced up with solid presentation.
It was a thread about multiple gameplay camera angles not about multiple presentation angles. Those (supposedly) are being looked into.

# 44 Furq @ 05/18/09 08:09 PM
What I will say and have alluded to in other threads, is that EVERY year we hear about the new improvements. Then for the past few years that I can remember, preview sites like IGN have said how the game is unchanged.

People at OS go nuts and start saying how these are just sites for casual guys who don't know the sport, but guess what we've been disappointed time after time while the previews who said the game is unchanged have essentially been right.

Again we have no idea if that's true this year, but people seem to forget that we go through the exact same cycle every year and we've been disappointed each time.

# 45 NYyankz225 @ 05/18/09 08:20 PM
Quote:
Is that a negative against me?
Not a negative but you've admitted yourself that you're extremely hard on the game. It's not bad because it counters some of the people that are always extremely positive about the game. Maybe cynical is a better word. I'm just saying you look for the differences and call them out.

# 46 imthedan @ 05/18/09 08:27 PM
Well looks like nothing will change. Here's holding out for NFL2k12. :/

# 47 dougdeuce @ 05/18/09 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
The magazines say silly stuff every year about Madden. A number of them praised Madden 08 as "the one"... the generation-defining Madden. a couple huge mags gave that game a 9.0. I just saw a recent article where some reviewers from the big mags were putting Madden 08 on it's all-time Madden great's list... But Madden 08 was flaming garbage as it was a broken mess with weak graphics... I can't even respect a reviewers view on football games after they've put that piece of junk in high esteem.

My point is that the magazines for the most part have very casual players reviewing these football games. They don't look for all the little nuances nor do they care. They don't care about the stuff we care about. So it's not a stretch to fathom that they wouldn't pick up on the difference in feel between 09 and 10... well, I think something would have to be wrong with a person's nervous system to not pick up on it, but given the mags track records on Madden reviews I can still believe they'd miss it. But when I tell you they're wrong, they're so dead wrong... they've become dust blown away in the wind; that's how dead wrong they are about this. If it weren't for their track records, I'd actually be stunned at hearing them say this. The only way they could be right is if EA completely changed everything about how the players moved, gamespeed, etc. since we left, and I sincerely doubt that happened.

Bottom line, when you get the game you'll see that it does feel different and does not play the same just in terms of feel alone... and it's tweakable to your liking. And nothing influenced me to feel that way, lol. I can tell the difference between a game that defied the laws of physics on every down (Madden 09) to one with weight and momentum playing a factor (Madden 10) and if didn't I would've said so. I spent all Winter talking about this and it was at the top of my agenda for Community Day.

I have nothing to lose by being truthful and nothing to gain by pretending. It is what it is and you'll see August 14th.

I like this review better...

# 48 KANE699 @ 05/18/09 08:53 PM
PlyrzNumber1******** type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_2039583796", true); :

You are a joke.......... that is all.

Seriously I have no problem saying a good or bad thing about the game, there are plenty of errors and things that need to be fixed and for once you know what?

They are actually listening to me.

# 49 CreatineKasey @ 05/18/09 08:56 PM
Good post, Watcher. I hope you are right about momentum. That is a massive sticking point for me, as I'm sure it is for you being a fellow 2k5 player.

# 50 viewtifuljoe71 @ 05/18/09 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
The magazines say silly stuff every year about Madden. A number of them praised Madden 08 as "the one"... the generation-defining Madden. a couple huge mags gave that game a 9.0. I just saw a recent article where some reviewers from the big mags were putting Madden 08 on it's all-time Madden great's list... But Madden 08 was flaming garbage as it was a broken mess with weak graphics... I can't even respect a reviewers view on football games after they've put that piece of junk in high esteem.

My point is that the magazines for the most part have very casual players reviewing these football games. They don't look for all the little nuances nor do they care. They don't care about the stuff we care about. So it's not a stretch to fathom that they wouldn't pick up on the difference in feel between 09 and 10... well, I think something would have to be wrong with a person's nervous system to not pick up on it, but given the mags track records on Madden reviews I can still believe they'd miss it. But when I tell you they're wrong, they're so dead wrong... they've become dust blown away in the wind; that's how dead wrong they are about this. If it weren't for their track records, I'd actually be stunned at hearing them say this. The only way they could be right is if EA completely changed everything about how the players moved, gamespeed, etc. since we left, and I sincerely doubt that happened.

Bottom line, when you get the game you'll see that it does feel different and does not play the same just in terms of feel alone... and it's tweakable to your liking. And nothing influenced me to feel that way, lol. I can tell the difference between a game that defied the laws of physics on every down (Madden 09) to one with weight and momentum playing a factor (Madden 10) and if didn't I would've said so. I spent all Winter talking about this and it was at the top of my agenda for Community Day.

I have nothing to lose by being truthful and nothing to gain by pretending. It is what it is and you'll see August 14th.
That was beautiful man!! (tears of joy)

# 51 Valdarez @ 05/18/09 09:16 PM
I never visit Joystiq, but that impressions article is weak, at best.

# 52 roadman @ 05/18/09 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlyrzNumber1
Can you reference why you don't feel they did their due diligence before they commented on the game?

I think Joystiq has a pretty good track record with their commentary.

I am an avid gamer, and their opinion is usually well thought out, and spot on about a number of games in quite diverse genres.
Sure, no problem. Here's my issue with preview.

1. Not once did they mention a pocket forming, but their first picture has a pocket forming.

2. They mentioned EA is mode crazy. Maybe in the past, that was true, but Pro-Tak, franchise mode and Emotions of the NFL is going mode crazy. Plus, they didn't even go into depth about either mode.

3. No mention of refs on the field, chain gang, etc....

4. No mention of hand towels, SB art etc....

5. No mention of presentation upgrades in depth, for instance, new play screens, cleaner score interface, etc.......

Those are just off the top of my head.

Grade= incomplete job by a contributing writer.

# 53 lint @ 05/19/09 12:22 AM
Quote:
Another one.
Very Selective posting. Here is the piece you so appropriately left out.

Quote:
In terms of executing a play, Madden NFL 10 feels similar to last year’s game. Those who have played the last few Madden games will have no troubles jumping in and running an offense or defense. The results of these plays in Madden NFL 10, however, are often different than in its predecessor.
Selective reading is fun.

# 54 roadman @ 05/19/09 01:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONF
So funny how folks just don't want to take the word of people who actually played the game. It is what it is. This was said last year about 09 with a few additions. What Madden has not felt like the past game??
I am. I'm taking the word of the CD folks from OS vs questionable internet sites. No, sites like IGN gave Madden 8's and 9's, so, with your logic, how can you take these sites seriously?

# 55 KingsRock91 @ 05/19/09 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by imthedan
Well looks like nothing will change. Here's holding out for NFL2k12. :/

Honestly, in my opinion, Joystiq, Gamespot, IGN etc. can make comments on previews of the game, but there are two glaring issues:

1. Incomplete observations on new stuff (i.e. what roadman pointed out)
2. The game is still in Alpha

And I don't want to seem as a kiss ***, but what Ian and co. has revealed to us so far, does this comment really hold any merit?

Quote:
we're glad to see that it's still moving forwards, even if it's only by inches.
Sure there are a select few who have actually played '10, but leaving out key, specific improvements as detailed by the main developer in a preview. I have faith in Adem, LBZrule, KANE, Joborule and all the rest who went to CD because as of recently, they have all been very critical of Madden. With similar interests in making Madden a more authentic football experience, word from those guys are more weighted to me than Joystiqs and IGNs.

I know for one I used to not be on OS and had no idea what was meant by the all familiar, vague term "enhanced graphics and animations". So my final opinion is to don't listen to websites. Read what the team reveals in the blogs, look at all the videos and screenshots, and formulate your own opinion.
You can put stock in game previews, your choice, I can't stop you.
Just my two cents.

# 56 spankdatazz22 @ 05/19/09 02:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Sure, no problem. Here's my issue with preview.

1. Not once did they mention a pocket forming, but their first picture has a pocket forming.

2. They mentioned EA is mode crazy. Maybe in the past, that was true, but Pro-Tak, franchise mode and Emotions of the NFL is going mode crazy. Plus, they didn't even go into depth about either mode.

3. No mention of refs on the field, chain gang, etc....

4. No mention of hand towels, SB art etc....

5. No mention of presentation upgrades in depth, for instance, new play screens, cleaner score interface, etc.......

Those are just off the top of my head.

Grade= incomplete job by a contributing writer.
Some of the things you mention - by many forum members' own admittance - long should've been in the game anyway. So these things deserve mention now that they're being done? The argument could be made that these things should be expected on some level and don't necessarily deserve special notice.

Either way, come review time people will look to have their views reinforced. Despite IGN's history at overrating the game, I'm sure if they give Madden a 9+, those that feel the game deserves that rating will view their opinion as legitimate. If IGN gives it a sub-8 score, those same people will say IGN's full of idiots. And the same vice versa for people that aren't that enamored with the game. As someone else mentioned earlier though, it will be interesting if various gaming sites finally start taking a look at the game with more scrutiny - a trend that sort of started last year with '09

# 57 Valdarez @ 05/19/09 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
If IGN gives it a sub-8 score, those same people will say IGN's full of idiots.
Can't speak for others, but I have stated for the record on multiple occasions, across multiple sites (not just here on OS), that IGN's reviews are not to be trusted. Their staff has a track record of failing to complete games prior to reviews, using partial game evidence to provide whole reviews resulting in uniformed view points that are typically biased one way or another depending on the reviewer.

# 58 spankdatazz22 @ 05/19/09 02:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Can't speak for others, but I have stated for the record on multiple occasions, across multiple sites (not just here on OS), that IGN's reviews are not to be trusted. Their staff has a track record of failing to complete games prior to reviews, using partial game evidence to provide whole reviews resulting in uniformed view points that are typically biased one way or another depending on the reviewer.
I gave up on IGN years ago in part because their sports games reviews were so off-base for so long. But you really could go down the line with these sites. TeamXBox said Madden '08's gameplay "was a 9.8" back in the day. The folks at Gametrailers seem to give mostly thoughtful video reviews, but when you watch them play it's head-scratching. Gamespot is always all over the place.

# 59 Valdarez @ 05/19/09 03:21 AM
I tend to find reviewers whose opinions I trust rather than trusting a game site carte blanche. IGN though, as a whole, seems to be fairly lenient with the quality of the reviewers they employ.

# 60 spankdatazz22 @ 05/19/09 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
I felt that even OS scores were inflated for the Madden series. When Madden was really bad this gen where were the bad scores. Game play takes a back seat relative to features and graphics. Just read and watch the reviews for APF. Great game play takes a longer time to evaluate and most reviewers don't have the time.
I'd agree; I'm not quick to take OS reviews as gospel either. Back in '07 some of us went back and forth with the way OS reviewed Madden '08 and APF2K8. Granted different reviewers are sometimes going to have different approaches to reviewing games but the way those games were reviewed I would've expected it would've occurred in reverse given the situation (licensed vs. unlicensed; 2K8's first iteration vs. Madden's 3rd, etc.). There was far more expected of APF than of either Madden or NCAA that year, and far more detail in the APF review versus the other two. The reviews were all well written; it was just interesting to see the starkly different expectations of each

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.