Home
NCAA Football 10 News Post

EA has posted another NCAA Football 10 blog. This one covers more Season Showdown.

Quote:
"Last week we focused on the structure of Season Showdown and touched on a few of the ways you can earn Extra Credits. This week we will focus on one of the three main pillars of Extra Credits that center around gameplay, which is the Skills category.

Simply put, Skills credits are earned by showing off your skills on the sticks. Your ability to perform these skill moves will earn you and your school extra credits. You can’t rely on the CPU to perform these actions to get the credits, you must be the one that got the interception or forced the fumble if you want the extra credit. So if you are using the new Defensive Assist feature, which puts the player you have highlighted under CPU control as long as you are holding the A/X button down, you can let the CPU guide your player to where they need to be, but to earn the credit you will need to take back control of the player and make the play. As you will see in a moment, a majority of the Skills events are defensive based, so if defense isn’t your strong suit, Defensive Assist will be a great way to put you in a position to make plays and earn credits."

Game: NCAA Football 10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 61 - View All
NCAA Football 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Zuke @ 05/22/09 04:03 PM
Quote:
A lot of the offensive actions are based on the ratings of the players on the field instead of the skill of the person holding the controller
Ben Haumiller

I only score tuchdowns on offensive cause of my player ratings,not me the person that is controlling the players.

# 42 thmst30 @ 05/22/09 04:04 PM
Front page of the NCAA site now. http://ncaafootball.easports.com/home.action Oh NOOOOO. This video was Part 1 of 3. We still have two more videos and probably blogs taken up by nothing but SS. All the while Madden releases something new every week. Give us something other than SS, it's already been shoved down our throats enough. Damn.

# 43 DirtyJerz32 @ 05/22/09 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlw322
I love it, all this hate. anyways i do agree with all of you guys, if they would have spent this extra time creating and promoting SS on gameplay or presentation the game just might be little bit better. as far as the video, the game looks to play the same other then Oline blocking, new QB drop animation that still needs to be slow down and some new animations. well What can you expect from producers that looks like they've never played a down of competitive football in their life.

# 44 PantherBeast_OS @ 05/22/09 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baumy300
And not to be a jerk to Russ and Ben, but if you guys really want to "reward" us as the players, can you scrap the "points" we get and put more time into the gameplay rather than this junk? Really, reward us with a great game of football for our 65 dollars, not stupid credits that obviously no one cares about.
Yes think you very much. I mean at the end of the day. What does all this mean for the winner. What the winner gets a prize like microsoft points are something. This just a waste of people time.

# 45 mvb34 @ 05/22/09 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thmst30
Front page of the NCAA site now. http://ncaafootball.easports.com/home.action Oh NOOOOO. This video was Part 1 of 3. We still have two more videos and probably blogs taken up by nothing but SS. All the while Madden releases something new every week. Give us something other than SS, it's already been shoved down our throats enough. Damn.
You know not get anything new to until E3..

# 46 hollywood21 @ 05/22/09 04:11 PM
The player movement looks terrible. Playing FS and SS will be a breeze this year again. Its year 2009 and ncaa's weight and momentum means nata still. Hopefully this game holds me to Aug 14th

# 47 4solo @ 05/22/09 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJerz32
http://insideblog.easports.com/archi...ur-skills.aspx

To the poster who wanted it in.

My thoughts on this are... well let's just say...

My mom told me if I didn't have anything nice to say I should just keep my comments to myself.

Thanks man, but i meant could someone copy and paste it here in the thread b/c i can't open the site at work.

# 48 ChargerHawk @ 05/22/09 04:13 PM
Quote:
Wow, just wow... Guess I'll take a 2 week hiatus of checking the blog because I don't want to see anything more on Season Showdown. At this point, whether I want to use it or not I KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT IT, SO MOVE ON. I don't care for this blog turning into a SS thesaurus, how else can we say the same thing for the 4th time??? Seriously, right now I don't even care if they listen to our complaints or not, the point is they've covered everything about SS. Please, cover something new!!!

# 49 floridagatorfan @ 05/22/09 04:14 PM
Didnt read the blog but watched the video and though it looked pretty good.

One thing I noticed with the OL/DL on pass blocking is that the DEs still engage way to quick. If they want to have the pocket form better they need to have the DEs rushing up field in more of a loop rather then engaging and then forcing into a pocket.

Overall though it looks like an improvement. I guess now I am going to go back and suffer through reading the blog.

# 50 ChargerHawk @ 05/22/09 04:15 PM
Last week we focused on the structure of Season Showdown and touched on a few of the ways you can earn Extra Credits. This week we will focus on one of the three main pillars of Extra Credits that center around gameplay, which is the Skills category.

Simply put, Skills credits are earned by showing off your skills on the sticks. Your ability to perform these skill moves will earn you and your school extra credits. You can’t rely on the CPU to perform these actions to get the credits, you must be the one that got the interception or forced the fumble if you want the extra credit. So if you are using the new Defensive Assist feature, which puts the player you have highlighted under CPU control as long as you are holding the A/X button down, you can let the CPU guide your player to where they need to be, but to earn the credit you will need to take back control of the player and make the play. As you will see in a moment, a majority of the Skills events are defensive based, so if defense isn’t your strong suit, Defensive Assist will be a great way to put you in a position to make plays and earn credits.

Defensive Assist isn’t the only new gameplay feature that will help you earn Skill credits. Player Lock is a new addition that allows you to lock your control to one player for a play. This is your chance to basically pick and choose when you want to have a Campus Legend like experience during a normal game. Since you don’t have the ability to switch the player you are controlling after the snap, your ability to make the play while locked on one player will earn you a Player Lock bonus.

Here is the complete list of events that will earn you Skill credits:
User Tackle for Loss – Getting into the backfield and disrupting the other team’s running game is a key way into forcing your opponent to run a one dimensional offense. Time your defensive move with the right analog stick to get past the offensive lineman and wrap the ball carrier up to earn some Skill credits. With the addition of branchable tackles the ball carrier will have the ability to break free from a tackle by performing a move even after the defender has wrapped him up. You can also stop a ball carrier’s momentum and have another defender help complete the tackle.
User Big Hit – it’s pretty difficult for a ball carrier to spin out of a tackle when you’ve planted them into the turf. By this point everyone knows what Big Hits are all about and how effective they can be. They can even lead to the next Skill category.
User Forced Fumble – Knock the defender silly and try to get him to give up the rock. One thing to remember with Skills credits is that you can get multiple events on the same play. So if you Big Hit a running back in the backfield for force a fumble you will get credits for all three events.
User Sack –Since we have added the ability for QB’s to release the ball after a sack animation has started this one is going to be a little tougher than in years past. Previously the QB would always tuck the ball once a sack started, but before you cry foul and think that you are going to see a QB fire a laser while getting blindsided by a linebacker, you will see the ball is definitely affected by the impact of the defender, which could lead to a big turnover by the defense if you launch a duck. Disrupting the offense like this could lead to the next Skills event:
User Pick – Ah User Pick, the one that started it all. Longtime fans of the series will remember User Pick as the first “User” event to get called out in an NCAA game, helping to end the age old replay debate to determine if you actually made the play, or let the CPU make the pick. Some new updates to the WR/DB interactions will go a long way into determining the positioning the defensive back will have when they go to make a play. The updates to press/release at the line will allow a defender to jam the receiver and throw him off of his route. If the WR gets the upper hand, watch out, unless you have closing speed or safety help the WR will be in the clear. But it’s not just the play at the line, animations have been added while the routes are being run so you will see WR’s and DB’s jostling for position throughout the play. If your DB is able to take advantage of an opening and get positioning they will be in great shape to either go for a swat or pick the ball off.
User Swat – While it may not have the same chance to break the back of your opponent as an interception, a well timed swat can be another nail in your opponent’s coffin. There have been some additions to swats this year, in addition to the sellout animations where it’s all or nothing defenders will now attempt to wrap a receiver up and knock the ball out of the opponent’s hands before he is able to secure the catch. There are also new “knockout” animations where the defender will drill the receiver and knock the ball out of his hands before he is able to come down with it. Finally, the defensive linemen are getting into the action as well. QB’s will need to pay attention to their passing lanes if they don’t want to find their pass getting swatted down by the big paw of a defensive tackle. The defenders won’t always just knock the pass down; if they only get a piece of it they will wind up tipping the pass which could lead to a big turnover. Performing any of these actions will help your defenses cause and earn you some Skills credits.
User Catch – I’ve already talked about the new WR/DB interactions, but one other addition that will be a great addition for the passing game is catch steering. If you catch the ball near the sidelines the catch animations will try to turn you up field instead of forcing you out of bounds. You will also see some great new catch animations including new over the shoulder catches, so when you get past the pressing DB, and there’s no safety support as you are streaking down the sideline you won’t have to break stride to haul in the pass. Weather will affect your route running; wet conditions may cause your receiver to slip while making cuts, which could hurt your changes to make a user catch until you recover.
User Passing TD – In the User Sack section I talked about what happens when you attempt to pass the ball while getting hit, and in the User Swat section I talked about defensive linemen getting their hands up and forcing you to recognize your passing lanes, but another key improvement that will affect the passing game is the addition of offensive linemen steering defenders. This allows the tackles to fan the defensive ends out and create a true pocket. If you are a guy that scrambles as soon as the ball is snapped, you are going to find yourself scrambling right into a defensive end that has been pushed out wide. With all of these additions, before the ball has even left your hand you have to read the defense, keep an eye on the pass rush and step up in the pocket, identify your receiver, find your passing lane, and get the ball off before a defender gets a hand on you. If you are able to do all of that and convert for a touchdown, you deserve some Skill credits.
As I mentioned earlier, most of the skills are defense based. This was done intentionally as a lot of the offensive actions are based on the ratings of the players on the field instead of the skill of the person holding the controller. We wanted the skill credits to reflect your game skills, which are on display the most when on defense.
Just like every other credit category, we will track the number of Skill credits each person has earned, and display the player’s ability in each category through a leveling system. When you are looking to play a random opponent online you will be able to view their Season Showdown ID card, here you will be able to see who they represent, their total credits earned, and their levels for Skills, Strategy, and Sportsmanship. This gives you a snapshot of what type of player your opponent is, so if you see a high Skill level, you will know your opponent is well versed at the art of the “user” actions.
Sorry for the delay in the blog and video this week. We ran into some technical issues with the video. You can watch it below and we'll have a hi-res version on the NCAA Football 10 product site soon.

# 51 PantherBeast_OS @ 05/22/09 04:16 PM
Quote:
LOL knowing ncaa Dev they have shown everything. And all ncaa fans will get at E3 will be a rerun of stuff tat has already been said before. Why the madden team gives new info. I love ncaa 10 and I am getting along with madden 10. But I have been a long time fan of madden. I am saying that madden 10 is blowing ncaa 10 out of the water this year. I can't wait until E3 so I can get more new info onmadden 10lol.

# 52 ChargerHawk @ 05/22/09 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4solo
Thanks man, but i meant could someone copy and paste it here in the thread b/c i can't open the site at work.
I got the text of the blog up for you, but someone will have to help with the video at the end, I'm not sure how to do that part. Sorry man.

# 53 4solo @ 05/22/09 04:16 PM
Thanks chargerhawk!

# 54 ChargerHawk @ 05/22/09 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4solo
Thanks chargerhawk!
No problem.

# 55 moylan1234 @ 05/22/09 04:22 PM
dang i've been trying to defend this feature only because we do have the option to ignore it, but I have to agree with everyone else it's just an enormous waste of time and a clear example of EA selling out and not listening to their customers. very sad.

# 56 countryboy @ 05/22/09 04:26 PM
@ all the hate for Season Showdown.

I don't intend to use it either nor do I care much for it, but damn you guys are rough.

# 57 eritraj @ 05/22/09 04:27 PM
This blog helped me realize how awesome SS is...Good job guys, I'm sold on it now!

# 58 mjussawalla @ 05/22/09 04:29 PM
The only way I would care is if the top players got some prizes. And I don't mean a can of Coke Zero.

# 59 NEW_ORLEANS @ 05/22/09 04:29 PM
He talks too fast in his interviews makes him sound suspicious.

# 60 Solidice @ 05/22/09 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherbeast
LOL knowing ncaa Dev they have shown everything. And all ncaa fans will get at E3 will be a rerun of stuff tat has already been said before. Why the madden team gives new info. I love ncaa 10 and I am getting along with madden 10. But I have been a long time fan of madden. I am saying that madden 10 is blowing ncaa 10 out of the water this year. I can't wait until E3 so I can get more new info onmadden 10lol.
they're not done with new info. they still haven't talked about the pre-game intros that are in. they haven't even broken down the game-planning feature much, just short stuff in videos. right now there are only 2 "marketable" features announced so far for NCAA 10. TeamBuilder and Season Showdown. the Marketing dept usually picks 6-7 "features" to market.

as much as we like it, OL/DL interaction, WR/DB interactions, and basically anything hardcore gameplay related are not "marketable". so we will not hear about stuff like that. it seems the NCAA 10 blogs are driven by the marketing dept.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.