Home
NCAA Football 10 News Post

EA has posted another NCAA Football 10 blog. This one covers more Season Showdown.

Quote:
"Last week we focused on the structure of Season Showdown and touched on a few of the ways you can earn Extra Credits. This week we will focus on one of the three main pillars of Extra Credits that center around gameplay, which is the Skills category.

Simply put, Skills credits are earned by showing off your skills on the sticks. Your ability to perform these skill moves will earn you and your school extra credits. You can’t rely on the CPU to perform these actions to get the credits, you must be the one that got the interception or forced the fumble if you want the extra credit. So if you are using the new Defensive Assist feature, which puts the player you have highlighted under CPU control as long as you are holding the A/X button down, you can let the CPU guide your player to where they need to be, but to earn the credit you will need to take back control of the player and make the play. As you will see in a moment, a majority of the Skills events are defensive based, so if defense isn’t your strong suit, Defensive Assist will be a great way to put you in a position to make plays and earn credits."

Game: NCAA Football 10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 61 - View All
NCAA Football 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 GoGiaNTS25 @ 05/22/09 04:34 PM
EA you have thousands of ncaa fans posting on forums (SEVEN PAGES OF FANS POSTING ON THIS THREAD ALONE AND MORE TO COME) and you are ****ting on them. we are not talking regular ****, we are talking diarreah **** that smells from miles away. is anybody over there even listening? i dare any EA worker or any pro-SS guy to find even 5 people who are happy with TWO MORE BLOGS ABOUT SS COMING OUT in this thread! over on the madden boards, ian is listening and working hard to make madden a better game all the way. better graphics, equipment, animations, pro-tak, ratings, and overall better gameplay. and dont even give me the "madden has more time" garbage. everyone knows if you spent all this SS time on gameplay and equipment and ratings, ncaa would actually be up to par with madden.

but no! instead you choose to put in season showdown. whoopee!! but hey, at least madden doesnt have internet-based CAS right?

# 62 Tengo Juego @ 05/22/09 04:37 PM
Game needs to be slowed down a bit. Player movement is WAAAY too fast. Guys are turning on swivels, a lot of sliding, probably some ball warps going on.

I'm disappointed with this blog. Very short video with a rather quick and unnecessary(we know what a "User Strip" is) write up.

# 63 KG @ 05/22/09 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2krules
I liked the "player lock" feature until I asked myself why we need a special feature for something we can do on our own anyway? If you only want to play one player during a play, it's simple: don't press your B button.
I like player lock as a feature too. The only difference is the camera angle.

# 64 Wet Bandit @ 05/22/09 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidice
they're not done with new info. they still haven't talked about the pre-game intros that are in. they haven't even broken down the game-planning feature much, just short stuff in videos. right now there are only 2 "marketable" features announced so far for NCAA 10. TeamBuilder and Season Showdown. the Marketing dept usually picks 6-7 "features" to market.

as much as we like it, OL/DL interaction, WR/DB interactions, and basically anything hardcore gameplay related are not "marketable". so we will not hear about stuff like that. it seems the NCAA 10 blogs are driven by the marketing dept.
But people who go online onto blogs run by developers regarding the game they're making are not the sort of casual fan they seem to be targetting with these blogs.

I get that they have to market the casual stuff to the casual crowd. But don't market casual stuff to the hardcore crowd, and the people waiting around for these blogs are obviously the hardcore crowd.

# 65 thudias @ 05/22/09 04:49 PM
Swing and a miss

# 66 Solidice @ 05/22/09 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet Bandit
But people who go online onto blogs run by developers regarding the game they're making are not the sort of casual fan they seem to be targetting with these blogs.

I get that they have to market the casual stuff to the casual crowd. But don't market casual stuff to the hardcore crowd, and the people waiting around for these blogs are obviously the hardcore crowd.
I'm with you on that. that one video of SS last week was more than enough, but I guess they feel they need to expand it. actually, all the info from the draft event was more than enough.

I wish they would go in-depth with something more useful that has already been announced. I know they are waiting for E3 to announce new things, but there are features that have already been announced that could use more detailed info. like the game-planning. they could break it down and show what each one does and the option for each category.

they could talk about other playbooks, blocking, animations in general, hell I'll enjoy more detailed info on changes/tweaks made to dynasty mode. I know I make sarcastic jokes about windsocks a lot, but to put it in perspective, I really do care more about the windsocks than Season Showdown. I'll probably never visit the SS menu and never select a team. I really don't want to see the +X to show up when I do things, especially when it covers the score bar.

having multiple blogs on the same feature is just not a good way to do it.

# 67 stylee @ 05/22/09 05:00 PM
They've got a lot of weird speed boosts in there, a lot of incredibly sudden change of direction stuff going on too.

Tried to glean something from the Georgia Tech-Georgia clip but couldn't. Dwyer's path looked too tight to be running the inside veer option, but that could simply be that the User cut him inside immediately. You don't see the offensive tackle at the beginning, so it's unclear if he's really giving a read to the QB on an option or not. He's blocking #52 when he comes into view, who I believe is an OLB. Not really sure what's going on.

The pocket looks improved, but, as a few have said, it still develops kinda slowly because the ends are kinda crawling straight into the OTs and then getting outside to "form the pocket."

I don't like to nitpick - I understand that these guys do something I could never ever do in programming a game, but it's also crucial to my enjoyment of the game for it to play realistically.

# 68 J-Unit40 @ 05/22/09 05:01 PM
Sorry fellas, but I liked the video. It's looks to be way better than NCAA 09. Way better. If they manage to not screw up the CPU AI (QB Choice or Read anyone ) and not make this a turnover fest like some of the previous titles. This sucker will get a ridiculous amount of time in my PS3.

We still have 7 weeks left for information and blogs. Relax. Season Showdown is a back of the box marketing and promotion feature that's just inevitable. Has there been a little more coverage on it than I would like? Sure, but we still just got 2 minutes of videos. I'm cool with that for now.

I love a lot of the new animations (except that crazy stiff-arm by the tailback). The lack of player momentum is a little eye-opening though. Especially, after getting back into APF2K8 recently. Oh, and playing as the DE does look like more of a battle than ever before. Giddy up!

I am still amped!

# 69 thudias @ 05/22/09 05:06 PM
The last fumble in the video looks odd to me.

# 70 Pokes404 @ 05/22/09 05:11 PM
I posted this in another thread, but I figured I'd put in my 2 cents over here, as well.

I think there are people out there who will enjoy this feature. Now, am I one of them ... no. Are there enough people out there who will participate in SS to validate resources being spent to implement it into the game? We'll see. However, I do like where EA is going with keeping track of how people play. I like the idea of being able to see someone's SS stats before I play them online. If I can see that they're sportsmanship rating is low and they don't have any underdog wins, I can safely assume that they probably use Florida every game and cheese like crazy. I wish that EA would do something more along those lines as opposed to this season long tournament thing.

In short, I like the ratings, especially if I'm able to see my opponent's ratings before playing them online. But I think the tournament aspect is a bit of a waste.

BTW, I liked the video but the pass rush still seemed a little ineffective (but not as bad as 09) and I can't quite figure out that fumble by the Miami QB. Not sure how a QB would get hit high and then fling the ball straight into the air. Everything else looked good to me though.

EDIT: Looking back at that fumble, the Miami QB had his arm cocked to throw a pass. It still looks a little weird to me, but at least I understand the reasoning behind the ball going in the air like that.

# 71 Rivers17ncsu @ 05/22/09 05:12 PM
atleast got to see a small clip of NC State intercepting UNC lol

# 72 firktaf @ 05/22/09 05:13 PM
Here's what I don't get about them trying to encourage sportsmanship through Season Showdown. Football teams don't punt the ball on 4th down out of sportsmanship. They punt because there's a low chance of converting and would rather not risk giving the other team good field position. If teams could go for it in real life on 4th down and convert 80+% of the time, then teams would go for the 1st down the majority of the time. If the video game could accurately represent the difficulty of achieving this, then most people would play the game correctly. This just seems like an unnecessary addition to influence playing the game correctly instead of making the game play more realistically.

And, the other sportsmanship areas that I can think of(excessive onside kicks, running up the score, celebrating...any other ones?) won't be as much of a factor as the 4th down punts.

....oh, and it was nice to see the some of the game in the video.

# 73 boritter @ 05/22/09 05:22 PM
Did I miss the announcement that NCAA is now a gimmicky game for casual fans? Give us gameplay improvements first, then add window dressing.

# 74 boritter @ 05/22/09 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by firktaf
If teams could go for it in real life on 4th down and convert 80+% of the time, then teams would go for the 1st down the majority of the time. If the video game could accurately represent the difficulty of achieving this, then most people would play the game correctly. This just seems like an unnecessary addition to influence playing the game correctly instead of making the game play more realistically.
Well said. Instead of fixing the gameplay issue they put a "good sportsmanship" band-aid on to try to hide the flaw.

# 75 Gossennator @ 05/22/09 05:26 PM
Player lock looks interesting..but thats about it.

# 76 jello1717 @ 05/22/09 05:39 PM
I didn't read all of this thread so I'm sure someone mentioned this already, but I searched for this quoted phrase and it didn't show up.

For those of you who're sick of season showdown, here's a lovely quote from the beginning of the blog.

Quote:
This week we will focus on one of the three main pillars of Extra Credits that center around gameplay
I wonder what the next 2 blogs will be feature.....

# 77 Lava @ 05/22/09 05:41 PM
I hate SS as much as the next guy, but I do have a question.

Can you play online without selecting a school? If you can, how will the game determine their sportsmanship/skill ratings? Or will it simply not show up?

# 78 ChargerHawk @ 05/22/09 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet Bandit

I couldn't agree more with this. Well put.

# 79 SHO @ 05/22/09 05:49 PM
We had this a couple years ago - it was called profile points.

SMFH.

# 80 MSchneider84 @ 05/22/09 05:52 PM
I'm going to go insane if Season Showdown took time away from putting in Formation Subs.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.