Home
NCAA Football 10 News Post

EA has posted another NCAA Football 10 blog. This one covers more Season Showdown.

Quote:
"Last week we focused on the structure of Season Showdown and touched on a few of the ways you can earn Extra Credits. This week we will focus on one of the three main pillars of Extra Credits that center around gameplay, which is the Skills category.

Simply put, Skills credits are earned by showing off your skills on the sticks. Your ability to perform these skill moves will earn you and your school extra credits. You can’t rely on the CPU to perform these actions to get the credits, you must be the one that got the interception or forced the fumble if you want the extra credit. So if you are using the new Defensive Assist feature, which puts the player you have highlighted under CPU control as long as you are holding the A/X button down, you can let the CPU guide your player to where they need to be, but to earn the credit you will need to take back control of the player and make the play. As you will see in a moment, a majority of the Skills events are defensive based, so if defense isn’t your strong suit, Defensive Assist will be a great way to put you in a position to make plays and earn credits."

Game: NCAA Football 10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 61 - View All
NCAA Football 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 sportzbro @ 05/22/09 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZRr1275
Hopefully gameplay is awesome. I at least want that before they spend time on this stuff
They can't even get basic elements of the game such as refs or new equipment in...so do you really think gameplay is going to be that good.. no way. The vid looked like a sped up version of 09, and I was not impressed.

# 102 blLLD0 @ 05/22/09 10:54 PM
Its a gimmick. I hope they don't consider this a major addition to this edition of NCAA. I hope they did not spend those precious, finite development hours on a gimmick that has NOTHING to do with football when they could/should have been spending it on GAMEPLAY.

Tell me we didn't miss out on some of the things Madden is getting because NCAA has SS. Hopefully they have more big announcements and won't just ride the coat tails of the opening of the Team Builder website all the way to the release date.

# 103 exboxfan @ 05/23/09 12:40 AM
Hey EA

Gameplay Videos = good

Online play, dynasty and online dynasty gameplay enhancements = great

Season Showdown = lame

When will you guys get a clue, you already have your buyers here.

You don't have to suck in the casual crowd. They will listen to us. I guarantee.

EASports is supposed to be....

If it's in the game! - It's in the game! (What happened to that?)

Make it happen it NCAA 11.

Don't usually rant, but it is getting ridiculous with these major game publishers.

# 104 UtahUtes32 @ 05/23/09 02:12 AM
I have Bought NCAA every year since 2003. I will still buy it this year, but i am EXTREMELY disappointed in the fact that they decided to waste their damn time on this stupid Season Showdown, instead of maybe reworking the run blocking, or something that would freaking matter.

# 105 UtahUtes32 @ 05/23/09 02:14 AM
Also, on the very first play of the video, Julio Jones scores a TD. Than what does he do next? he stands straight up, and shows no emotion WHATSOEVER!!!! This is College Football!! This is Football, anytime you score a Touchdown, YOU FREAKING CELEBRATE!

# 106 floridagatorfan @ 05/23/09 03:21 AM
"There are a ton of great games released every year, and we have never had a feature that gives you a specific reason to keep playing months after we launch."

"In addition to all of this, the goal of every game is to reach as large an audience as possible, and a feature like Season Showdown reaches out to college football fans in general as well as the NCAA community of gamers. While your sisters/girlfriends/wives might never put a controller in their hands, you can get them involved in Allies & Rivals, while your old man might own a console, he may be willing to help out his school through the Trivia Challenge, and while you might not be interested in a mode like dynasty, but still want some persistent element to your gameplay, Season Showdown is a feature that allows you to be involved as much or as little as you want to."

This was from a post by Ben Haumiller on NCAA Strategies posting about SS that basically sums up why I have no faith in this game being good.

For the first part, MLB the Show doesn't have some feature to try and keep players playing their game, instead they make a game that has great gameplay, great presentation, and gives a fun, challenging experience. They do not need a gimmick to bring people back, or aim to the casual consumer. Instead they build a great game that gets played year round because it is a good game.

As for the second part, do we really need a feature that is catered to our girlfriends or "old man." How about making a game that aims to the hardcore as the cashual gamer is just going to play, play now games against the CPU on pro difficulty.

They write about SS as if school pride is on the line and that will draw all NCAA fans in when in reality it is a stupid video game contest that I could care less if my favorite team wins or finishes dead last in. Where is the motivation that will bring people back playing it to keep there team above the NCAA rankings. Unless they add the ranking onto the BCS (which probably wouldn't hurt the system) there is not much point in having this.

Instead, make a game that plays great and people will continue playing it throughout the year. Online dynasty is a great mode they added last year that keeps people coming back but it sounds like they barely did anything to improve upon it.

Right now I personally hope Madden blows NCAA at of the water in the hopes that EA sees what focusing on the community can do and they decide to put a guy with the passion that Ian Cummings has as the lead designer of NCAA '11.

# 107 SHO @ 05/23/09 03:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagatorfan
[i]"There are a ton of great games released every year, and we have never had a feature that gives you a specific reason to keep playing months after we launch."
Actually, you guys did. It was called quality gameplay.

# 108 rudyjuly2 @ 05/23/09 07:06 AM
Some of the dev comments about this thing just baffle me. They truly think this is great while 99% of the hardcore community sees it at a complete waste of time. No formation subs - we were too busy adding points for Season Showdown! OMT had said they didn't put the new qb ratings system in because they focused their efforts on other things. Obviously this new SS was one of those reasons. I just don't understand why the NCAA team's focus was on non gameplay stuff while Madden is focusing on core gameplay. I will never agree with this decision.

# 109 MelMan1486 @ 05/23/09 07:50 AM
Look ok but with the improvements I'm seeing in Madden I think this years a rental for me with Ncaa.

# 110 TexasBorn1 @ 05/23/09 08:15 AM
Gameplay looks fun which is all that matters to me. Yeah the players still turned on a dime but it will hold me till Madden

# 111 countryboy @ 05/23/09 08:35 AM
LOL....for people that don't give a rat's behind about a feature, you guys sure are talking the hell out of it.

But I do have a question, and I'm sure I'll get an answer. I've seen this posted quite often on this forum...but how does the implementation of Season Showdown equate to poor gameplay? What does one have to do with the other?

I already know the answer...and it will come in the form of "time spent"

# 112 4solo @ 05/23/09 09:31 AM
YESSS! They finally added the the stat tracking, space taking, so we can't have better gameplay, or realistic atmosphere, or....(just too much stuff to name), casual gamer attention getting, so my whole fam will want to sitdown and answer college triva questions together (esp DAD), so we can have braging rights b/c we kicked the **** out my rivalry by earning more credits b/c i punted on 4th down, over hyped minigame!

You guys read our minds! Can't Wait. WTF!?!?

# 113 thmst30 @ 05/23/09 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
LOL....for people that don't give a rat's behind about a feature, you guys sure are talking the hell out of it.

But I do have a question, and I'm sure I'll get an answer. I've seen this posted quite often on this forum...but how does the implementation of Season Showdown equate to poor gameplay? What does one have to do with the other?

I already know the answer...and it will come in the form of "time spent"
I'm going to give you a different answer. The implementation of Season Showdown further proves the direction that the NCAA team has decided to go. Instead of doing like Madden and focusing on absolutely nothing but pure realism and actual football, they continue to work on fluff (thats what SS is to me). So in regards to gameplay, if the majority of what the NCAA team seems to be doing is to add fluff and go a more casual based route, then how can any of us expect the gameplay to be significantly better (read, more sim-like) than 09,08,07,etc. So it's not so much the time spent on SS to me, it's the whole viewpoint and direction of the dev team that it demonstrates. That's why people are the most upset.

# 114 countryboy @ 05/23/09 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thmst30
I'm going to give you a different answer. The implementation of Season Showdown further proves the direction that the NCAA team has decided to go. Instead of doing like Madden and focusing on absolutely nothing but pure realism and actual football, they continue to work on fluff (thats what SS is to me). So in regards to gameplay, if the majority of what the NCAA team seems to be doing is to add fluff and go a more casual based route, then how can any of us expect the gameplay to be significantly better (read, more sim-like) than 09,08,07,etc. So it's not so much the time spent on SS to me, it's the whole viewpoint and direction of the team that it demonstrates. That's why people are the most upset.
but we've heard of the gameplay improvements (pocket forming, OL/DL interaction, pursuit angles, amongst others). I just don't see how adding something like SS automatically equates to arcade gameplay.

In my eyes, Season Showdown is no different then TeamBuilder and Campus Legend, which are things I consider built for a more casual audience. Yes, I understand that TeamBuilder will be used by diehards in regards to online dynasty and such, but in my opinion its a casual feature.

# 115 J-Unit40 @ 05/23/09 09:56 AM
Quote:
but we've heard of the gameplay improvements (pocket forming, OL/DL interaction, pursuit angles, amongst others). I just don't see how adding something like SS automatically equates to arcade gameplay.

In my eyes, Season Showdown is no different then TeamBuilder and Campus Legend, which are things I consider built for a more casual audience. Yes, I understand that TeamBuilder will be used by diehards in regards to online dynasty and such, but in my opinion its a casual feature.

Agreed.

People who think Madden is going to be "the most realistic football video game experience ever" are probably going to be disappointed. The game is still going to have the same EA feel. It's pretty much the same engine with add-ons and improvements (which NCAA already has except PRO-TAK).

# 116 rudyjuly2 @ 05/23/09 09:57 AM
Quote:

Season Showdown does not automatically mean poor gameplay. But it does indicate some things.

1) They lack the direction and focus I would prefer.
2) They allocated serious resources to this mode rather than spend it elsewhere - like formation subs, in-game saves, and the new qb ratings.

The new QB ratings Madden is getting DO impact gameplay. OMT directly said in an earlier thread (when I was really bitter about not having the QB ratings) that they didn't do the QB ratings because they didn't have time to implement it due to focusing on other things. I'm going to assume SS was one of those. So yes - Season Showdown has led to inferior gameplay. That doesn't mean bad gameplay but it could have been better if they chose to spend their time more appropriately.

# 117 rudyjuly2 @ 05/23/09 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Unit40
Agreed.

People who think Madden is going to be "the most realistic football video game experience ever" are probably going to be disappointed. The game is still going to have the same EA feel. It's pretty much the same engine with add-ons and improvements (which NCAA already has except PRO-TAK).
I hope you are right and that the NCAA gameplay isn't inferior to Madden (or at least close). But yesterday's interview didn't sit well with me.

# 118 J-Unit40 @ 05/23/09 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Season Showdown does not automatically mean poor gameplay. But it does indicate some things.

2) They allocated serious resources to this mode rather than spend it elsewhere - like formation subs, in-game saves, and the new qb ratings.

The new QB ratings Madden is getting DO impact gameplay. OMT directly said in an earlier thread (when I was really bitter about not having the QB ratings) that they didn't do the QB ratings because they didn't have time to implement it due to focusing on other things. I'm going to assume SS was one of those. So yes - Season Showdown has led to inferior gameplay. That doesn't mean bad gameplay but it could have been better if they chose to spend their time more appropriately.
I do wish the new QB ratings were in NCAA this year. That sure would have been nice.

Oh, and not having formation subs is just lame. No excuse.

# 119 countryboy @ 05/23/09 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2

I'm almost positive that their are separate departments working on features and gameplay. Maybe they could've scrapped SS for in-game saves or even formation subs, not sure who actually would handle that, but you can't say with certainty that if they scrapped SS that these other things would've been implemented.

I honestly believe that more has been done to this game(speaking improvements) then what they are being given credit for because for whatever reason the addition of SS has become a focal point and is now the reason for every and anything that is not added into NCAA '10 and will be the reason for any shortcomings that people find within the game.

# 120 J-Unit40 @ 05/23/09 10:15 AM
Quote:
I'm almost positive that their are separate departments working on features and gameplay. Maybe they could've scrapped SS for in-game saves or even formation subs, not sure who actually would handle that, but you can't say with certainty that if they scrapped SS that these other things would've been implemented.

I honestly believe that more has been done to this game(speaking improvements) then what they are being given credit for because for whatever reason the addition of SS has become a focal point and is now the reason for every and anything that is not added into NCAA '10 and will be the reason for any shortcomings that people find within the game.
Yep. Just like people think Mascot Mash-Up took away time from OL/DL interaction in NCAA 09.

OK that's an extreme example, but you get my point. Features,gameplay and art are all different departments of the game if I am not mistaken.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.