Home
Madden 2010 News Post

Early surprise this Memorial Day! Check out the new Madden NFL 10 blog. This one covers blocking improvements in the running game.

Quote:
"2 weeks back we took a look at some of the improvements we made to our pass blocking in order to make the game more realistic (and fun) overall. I encourage everyone to take a look at it here. This week I wanted to give everyone a deeper look at some of the improvements to run blocking as well. Run blocking is one of the trickiest areas to program and tune just because of the amount of variation that happens in the NFL. Pass blocking is definitely complicated as well, but at some level you’ve got some pretty common concepts that you can follow (i.e. the OL needs to stay between the defender and the QB, the defensive end needs to get up field if he’s not stunting, etc). With run blocking however, there are just so many variations of plays that it can take much more time to get every single concept down pat while still making it a) realistic, b) responsive, and c) fun. At the beginning of the year, when we sat down as a group and looked at some of the areas we wanted to address, we all unanimously agreed that there were a few major areas that we just hadn’t quite emulated as well as we would like to create an authentic NFL sim."

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 hayvis @ 05/25/09 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
It's practice mode, so no refs there.
I know, but why show us videos of practice mode? There's still no gameplay footage of all seven refs working at a smooth speed. I'm sure it'll be ok, but it's worrying that they wouldn't have had this all set by now. I'm convinced they're having problems with the frame rate after IGN commented that it was stuttering all over the place.

# 122 AndyBernard @ 05/25/09 05:52 PM
Andy didn't read the whole blog, so this might have been mentioned,

Quote:
Just like with pass blocking, we moved all of the “disengage / special move” controls to the right stick to make it easier to pull off. Based on the ratings of your player, he’ll choose either a finesse or a power move – it just didn’t seem to make sense to make you decide which one to choose if you don’t immediately know what he’s best at.
this sounds like a huge deal

Andy liked having the choice of what move to go to, is their anyway to make this an option?

Excellent blog, and the new hit stick looked sick

# 123 KANE699 @ 05/25/09 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayvis
I know, but why show us videos of practice mode? There's still no gameplay footage of all seven refs working at a smooth speed. I'm sure it'll be ok, but it's worrying that they wouldn't have had this all set by now. I'm convinced they're having problems with the frame rate after IGN commented that it was stuttering all over the place.
I guess you'll find out at E3 then.

# 124 hayvis @ 05/25/09 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KANE699
I guess you'll find out at E3 then.
Yep. I'm just hoping we see footage from both versions (Xbox 360 and PS3). I'm sure it'll be ok, but it is quite late in the day now.

# 125 g2thecore @ 05/25/09 06:09 PM
If those videos are supposed to be from practice mode, why do I see camera guys on the sideline in the "hitstick" vid? And why does it look like it's in an indoors practice facility? We have those now?

# 126 bowdown2shadi @ 05/25/09 06:09 PM
I try my best to resist coming to these boards, especially on Mondays. I come here, read the blog, now Madden 10 is the ONLY thing on my mind again. Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in!

# 127 LBzrule @ 05/25/09 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by g2thecore
If those videos are supposed to be from practice mode, why do I see camera guys on the sideline in the "hitstick" vid? And why does it look like it's in an indoors practice facility? We have those now?
I'm not saying the hit stick vid is but the rest of them are. Look for the stands/crowd. There is no one. The endzones are basic. Actually, I'd say the hit stick one is too, now looking at it again.

# 128 ex carrabba fan @ 05/25/09 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
Segagendude wonders if Andy is Ricky Henderson, with all the third person posts.
I had to look at that again thinkin "who the f is Andy, a developer?'

# 129 AndyBernard @ 05/25/09 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan
I had to look at that again thinkin "who the f is Andy, a developer?'
Pretty soon

# 130 AndyBernard @ 05/25/09 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boucher
Of what? Third person novels..
*crickets*

# 131 AndyBernard @ 05/25/09 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballSchemer
Just keepp copying APF, your game will be amazing!

So APF came up with the idea of having planes fly overhead?

or is that in real life?

or is madden not allowed to do anything that was in apf?

gtfo

# 132 Blitzburgh @ 05/25/09 07:24 PM
Best Blog to date IMO! great job and I think the blocking looke awesome. Great Job!

# 133 Sanchez_Mareno @ 05/25/09 07:40 PM
Might actually be able to pull off a 2 back inside outside system

# 134 Goffs @ 05/25/09 07:56 PM
looking good! so how bout some double team blocks? sorry didnt read through all thread if Ian responded about the double team blocks...

# 135 afro_dogg20 @ 05/25/09 08:01 PM
Nice blog, this games gonna be sweet.

# 136 K_GUN @ 05/25/09 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballSchemer
Just keepp copying APF, your game will be amazing!
too bad APF didn't have the NFL/NFLPA licenses

# 137 oozy09 @ 05/25/09 08:17 PM
Ok the the jet thing is awesome but i just have to say something off my chest.....the playermodels look awefulllll and the sleevless thing look horrible.....Ian ask yourself this does that actually look like what we see on Sunday? The DB's arent that thin and the shoulderpads arent that high as in the screenshots....look Madden 07 VISUAL-WISE was awesome but these aren't impressive but the other features are amazing!!! Just lettin you kno

# 138 MUSS @ 05/25/09 08:34 PM
Ian,

I really think you should have addressed how players run first. No matter what you change in the game, players are always running. Not having variable speed or realistic motions, to me, has been the reason I cant play Madden with immersion. If I cant run patient behind my blocks and move fluidly, it is almost like all the changes were made on top of very unrealistic movement.

All the engaging and action animations look amazing, but the running looks so robotic, unresponsive, and simply unrealistic.

I really do have faith in what your doing; i just wish you would have addressed my #1 issue. Variable speed should make the game MUCH more organic. For every different speed there are different options of animation engagement.

Oh well, I guess I can hope for next year. Looks like another year of renting Madden and going back to playing All Pro Online.

# 139 marcoyk @ 05/25/09 08:52 PM
the blocking looks amazing. plus that hitstick animation looked good (even though I'm a Skins fan). You just saw that elbow come out at the last second. cannot waaaaait!!

# 140 PantherBeast_OS @ 05/25/09 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayvis
Dude chill out. Plus IGN is full of suckers who would complain bout anything. I totally trust Ian to get the job done before it goes gold in a short time from now. Everything will be ok. You will see complete live game footage from E3 next week so you can be happy. I believe Ian will get the job done totally.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.