Home
NCAA Football 10 News Post

EA has posted another NCAA Football 10 blog covering the strategy of Season Showdown. There is also a new video clip, right here.

Quote:
"It used to be that you could sit back, call the same play over and over again, and just "out athlete" your opponent. It used to be that you could hop around the playbook jumping from I Form, to Ace, to Shotgun without a care in the world for creating an offensive identity. And it used to be that you could know exactly what your opponent was going to know, know exactly how you would stop it, but didn't have a way to tell your players that that without a doubt the next play is going to be a run to the right, go shut it down.

Thankfully those days are behind us. With NCAA Football 10 strategy takes on a huge role with three new gameplay features that put the emphasis on out thinking your opponent instead of just out maneuvering him on the sticks. By gameplanning, setting up plays, and keying in on what you think the offense will be running you can affect the outcome of the game just based on your coaching decisions."

Game: NCAA Football 10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 61 - View All
NCAA Football 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 kdeal4 @ 05/29/09 04:44 PM
I don't think it makes it pointless. You're not going to have your team play pass every play. For example, if it's 3rd and 1 and they've been running it basically all game, you're most likely not going to call for your defense to play the pass, therefore, if they run a PA Setup play, then there's a good chance for it to be successful. And like Cvhsalumni said, even if it is 100% it doesn't mean the play will be successful because if you're throwing towards a start CB, he won't necessarily bite on it, there's just a "higher" possibility.

# 142 boisejames @ 05/29/09 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
So doesnt that make it pointless?
No... How is anyone going to KNOW exactly when you will run a set up play? Just because it's at 100% doesn't mean you have to run it... Plus, it makes user vs cpu better because it actually gives the cpu somewhat of a brain.

# 143 kdeal4 @ 05/29/09 04:51 PM
And I can't get the damn quote thing to work... can someone help me? I'm clicking the blue/yellow quote balloons, and it says quote (person's name) in reply and I check it, but it keeps posting without quoting.... Grr

# 144 da ThRONe @ 05/29/09 04:54 PM
I meant user vs. user. Dont get me wrong I love the idea of gameplanning but I dont like the fact they show you the % number.

# 145 kdeal4 @ 05/29/09 04:58 PM
I agree with the % number on the setup play. But then again, at least we'll know it's working when we see the % go up.

# 146 jbdeuce @ 05/29/09 08:24 PM
First off, the gameplan strategy for the defensive side of the ball is a GREAT ADDITION and nicely implemented! Good job there. But I'm not impressed with the gameplan strategy on the offensive side of the ball. It sounded good until I watched the video. Why should I pick "break a long run?" for a strategy...wouldn't I sub in a back who I think is capable of breaking a long run? Why do I need a percentage number telling me when the playaction pass will work? I should figure that out on my own. Linking plays and hinting when they might work is dummying down the game to me, so how is that strategy. I can go on & on but I think yall get my point whether you agree or disagree. When I'm on offense playing human or cpu opponents, I have my own strategy and style of play already. Its on me whether my style is effective or not.

On the other end, I love the gameplan strategy for defense because that's excatly what teams do in real life....they make adjustments to the gameplan during the game when they need to.

# 147 PantherBeast_OS @ 05/29/09 09:54 PM
Gameplay looks good. But still ain't sold on SS. SS is just not my kind of thing I like to fool with.

# 148 jagsfan82 @ 05/30/09 12:53 AM
will we be able to use this outside of season showdown like in a dynasty or is season showdown the only mode that it will be used in?

# 149 Solidice @ 05/30/09 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagsfan82
will we be able to use this outside of season showdown like in a dynasty or is season showdown the only mode that it will be used in?
well, Season Showdown is not exactly a mode. you can earn credits in any game mode(dynasty, play now, etc.)

but yes, the Gameplanning, Defensive Keys, and Set-up plays are still there if you never sign-up for Season Showdown.

# 150 adembroski @ 05/30/09 01:48 AM
The strategy thing is a gimmick... but it's the right kind of gimmick. I'm 100% in favor of anything that gives you more control over your team's personality on the field, and I like this feature a lot. It was a very creative and intelligent way of making the game deeper, and putting more control in the users hands.

For all the negativity on this forum, and I've been a part of it, this was a nice idea, it looks well implemented (still, yet to be seen of course), and kudos to whoever designed it.

# 151 rudyjuly2 @ 05/30/09 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
The strategy thing is a gimmick... but it's the right kind of gimmick. I'm 100% in favor of anything that gives you more control over your team's personality on the field, and I like this feature a lot. It was a very creative and intelligent way of making the game deeper, and putting more control in the users hands.
I know. How many times would you get frustrated late in a game and you are losing but your players play conservatively all the time. Take a chance on the pick you bum! Now I can make him!

# 152 Sven Draconian @ 05/30/09 11:56 AM
This isn't "strategy" it's just silly. Nobody is going to tell their team to "Go for the Big Hit" or tell the Running Back not to try and break a long run.

The reality is that NCAA hasn't had penalties called in years and it's moving more and more towards non-football fans. Does anybody really think there is going to be any penalties for going for the strip, jumping the snap, impact block etc. ect.

People have abused the strip button for years with no effect.

This is going to be another tool to "cheese up" the game. Everybody is going to pick the aggressive options (most of them). In fact, they should. The penalty for going after a strip isn't a "facemask penalty" that doesn't really make sense. The Penalty should be you only have about a 15% chance of making the tackle. Nobody lines up in the openfield and tries to strip the ball.

As for plays setting each other up, meh. It more or less proves that it was a placebo effect in previous versions, but I'm worried it will be too powerful. I'd rather it play out on the field (You can see the defense playing the play more aggressively) then as a % on the screen, but it's alright.

# 153 Watson @ 05/30/09 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven Draconian
. The Penalty should be you only have about a 15% chance of making the tackle. Nobody lines up in the openfield and tries to strip the ball.

#20 at :22

# 154 Sven Draconian @ 05/30/09 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatsonTiger
#20 at :22

Huh? All the defender did was dive for the QB and hit an uncovered ball. Just as much luck as anything. What exactly did this prove?

# 155 fincane @ 05/30/09 04:56 PM
George Teague stripping Lamar Thomas in the '93 Sugar Bowl is a better example. But the point is made. Defenders go for strips in the open field plenty.

# 156 SHO @ 05/30/09 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by granddogg
It's come to my attention that ppl on here BITCH about every and anything.
It's come to my attention that some people love to bitch and moan about the bitch and moaning. It's actually counterproductive.

# 157 Sven Draconian @ 05/30/09 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fincane
George Teague stripping Lamar Thomas in the '93 Sugar Bowl is a better example. But the point is made. Defenders go for strips in the open field plenty.
Bull.

I'm sure in the history of football it has happened, but it's hardly a regular occurence. Certainly players fumble in the open field, players fumble on just regular tackles all the time. (Another silly aspect of this system). If a player wants to be aggressive, the broken tackles should increase a ton. Make the penalty worth it.

# 158 Potatoes002 @ 05/30/09 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints21
Can we have confirmation that "Chew Clock" is NCAA's version of accelerated clock!!!!
This better be in, last year on ncaa stradegies they said they would .......Besides pursuit angles this was my number one priority (not wants or wishes) to be added to this years game

# 159 Potatoes002 @ 05/30/09 07:28 PM
I have a question, how can people tell if someone is sim from season showdown?

# 160 superjames1992 @ 05/30/09 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoes002
This better be in, last year on ncaa stradegies they said they would .......Besides pursuit angles this was my number one priority (not wants or wishes) to be added to this years game
You got that right. Pursuit angles destroyed last year's game.

And, yes, accelerated clock would be a huge addition!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.