Home
Madden 2010 News Post

I was a bit concerned with the E3 build (like most of you probably were) that were a lot of times where defenders would just bounce off instead of wrapping up. I am happy to say it is much improved...just played a full game against Donny (I was Vikings, he was Cardinals - he killed me BTW), and it was WAY better ... much more predictable and reliable than the E3 build.

I dug deeper to see what happened and found out that before E3 there was some tuning being done to dictate when gang tackles could be triggered, and the primary criteria was the angle of the ballcarrier in relation to the ground. Meaning, if a player was about to fall / touch the ground, he shouldn't be able to be gang tackled (obviously because he would warp back to upright). Apparently there were a few bugs in this calculation though, so often times it would think he was leaned over when in fact he wasn't. Now it has been tuned much more appropriately, and the gang tackles are really looking great.

As a side note, the momentum in PRO-TAK is also much more pronounced as well (and also finally doesn't stop when the players engage...it keeps moving throughout the tackle) Both Beanie Wells and Peterson really felt like they were carrying those first 2 defenders when they had a head of steam...which looked and felt great. Unfortunately I don't have vids but I'll try to get some soon.

Thought you'd like the update...on to looking at everyone's other favorite issue - the pass rush!

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Mr_Riddick @ 06/06/09 07:27 PM
Ian, any chance on you guys adding an interactive sideline for this year. You know players knocking over coaches and other players on the sideline. By the way great job on gameplay and presentation thusfar...

# 62 adembroski @ 06/06/09 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FadeEmAll
Isee ya Adembroski that was some good double teaming. So is the 3-4 finally effective?
Defense in general was not effective against the run at CD (hence the toning back of momentum), so it was hard to say. This wasn't because of the D-Line, but the linebackers, so it was easy to see how improved d-line play was. I expect the 3-4 is going to feel much better than before... especially now that there are really two major styles of it in the game (Fire Zone and Hybrid).

Speaking of which, I need to go back through some videos and look at linebacker play, see if that got shored up.

# 63 Valdarez @ 06/06/09 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
I was a bit concerned with the E3 build (like most of you probably were) that were a lot of times where defenders would just bounce off instead of wrapping up. I am happy to say it is much improved...just played a full game against Donny (I was Vikings, he was Cardinals - he killed me BTW), and it was WAY better ... much more predictable and reliable than the E3 build.

I dug deeper to see what happened and found out that before E3 there was some tuning being done to dictate when gang tackles could be triggered, and the primary criteria was the angle of the ballcarrier in relation to the ground. Meaning, if a player was about to fall / touch the ground, he shouldn't be able to be gang tackled (obviously because he would warp back to upright). Apparently there were a few bugs in this calculation though, so often times it would think he was leaned over when in fact he wasn't. Now it has been tuned much more appropriately, and the gang tackles are really looking great.

As a side note, the momentum in PRO-TAK is also much more pronounced as well (and also finally doesn't stop when the players engage...it keeps moving throughout the tackle) Both Beanie Wells and Peterson really felt like they were carrying those first 2 defenders when they had a head of steam...which looked and felt great. Unfortunately I don't have vids but I'll try to get some soon.

Thought you'd like the update...on to looking at everyone's other favorite issue - the pass rush!
Welcome back to the forums Ian.

# 64 LBzrule @ 06/06/09 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Defense in general was not effective against the run at CD (hence the toning back of momentum), so it was hard to say. This wasn't because of the D-Line, but the linebackers, so it was easy to see how improved d-line play was. I expect the 3-4 is going to feel much better than before... especially now that there are really two major styles of it in the game (Fire Zone and Hybrid).

Speaking of which, I need to go back through some videos and look at linebacker play, see if that got shored up.
I need to look at it too. I do notice that for the backers that have been adjusted to line up 5 yards deep, they seem to play better. But for the guys lining up in the line they are out of the play.

# 65 lolfalconsbeatu @ 06/06/09 08:00 PM
anything official on rocket catching?

# 66 Danimal @ 06/06/09 08:03 PM
Ian -

Any comments on the procedural awareness? I don't expect every play to be perfect but there were a few examples of defenders not turning and running right by the man they were on, the worst one I saw was in the Packers vs Bears video from the Game Stop review.

It's my birthday so maybe you can throw this 43 year old curmudgeon a bone and let me know if this was just a quirk.

# 67 poster @ 06/06/09 08:07 PM
Thanks for the update Ian. Very glad to hear as I was worried.

# 68 Sanchez_Mareno @ 06/06/09 08:09 PM
Great work ian

# 69 Da Bears @ 06/06/09 08:17 PM
No cap,no trade logic and no contracts.

# 70 g2thecore @ 06/06/09 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Bears
No cap,no trade logic and no contracts.
Way to stay on topic dude....Why must people troll?

# 71 titansftw @ 06/06/09 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA

Thanks Ian. As usual you are oozing with awsome.

# 72 Da Bears @ 06/06/09 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by g2thecore
Way to stay on topic dude....Why must people troll?
I try my best.

# 73 carolina_boi @ 06/06/09 08:26 PM
lookin 4ward to more updates !

# 74 SHO @ 06/06/09 08:30 PM
Good stuff.

# 75 Steve_OS @ 06/06/09 08:45 PM
My man!

Ian, thanks for the updates!

# 76 adembroski @ 06/06/09 08:46 PM
Quote:
See man that's why I never get excited. Nobody mentions isht like this during E3 reviews all they do is talk up the good aspects of the game
There is no way I could give anything close to an accurate evaluation of the game in those circumstances. On top of that, what we saw at CD was expected. They hadn't even released a screen shot at that point. The game is going to be broken that far from release.

# 77 titansftw @ 06/06/09 08:51 PM
Quote:
See man that's why I never get excited. Nobody mentions isht like this during E3 reviews all they do is talk up the good aspects of the game

but bro, they obviously werent playing with a complete game. in order to make your statement, you have to be assuming that nothing has changed in the running game since the CD, right?

# 78 Football4lyfe @ 06/06/09 08:51 PM
Nice to know

# 79 The Art Shell Face @ 06/06/09 08:59 PM
Ian Cummings is the man. He took a heck of a beating on these boards, came back anyways, and is still looking to improve the main issues.

This is Ian's "The Man" trophy between all the people who appreciate his work. Cheers Ian!

# 80 marcoyk @ 06/06/09 09:07 PM
Thanks a lot. The only thing I'm worried about now is the pass rush. I'm not sure I've seen the QB getting pressured by the defensive ends yet in everything that I've watched. That was my main concern with last year's gameplay. I'd HAVE to blitz or just try to sprint around the O-Line if I wanted to get any pressure on the QB on All-Madden.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.