Home
Tiger Woods 10 News Post

For those of you that purchased Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10, please post your impressions here.

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 N51_rob @ 06/10/09 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leebuchanan
Anyone figure out a rough formula for putting strength in the rain? I'm thinking it must be something like 2X, but it takes cajones to hit a 40-foot putt 80 feet. I"m not complaining. I'm glad the rain has a believable effect.
You are right, but I've been BSing in the rain for the limited amount of time that I've had with the game. It's about 2 or 2.5x in the rain, slightly less downhill, a little more up hill, trust me in this though once you start to get a feel for it, you will have no issues with firing that hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmeH
Did anyone do the Daily Tourney for today at Torrey Pines?

They definitely didn't spare anything with the difficulty. Long rough, slow greens, rain, and 20 MPH winds. The best I could manage is a 91 lol...good for 29th. I'd like to know how someone scored a -18 for that round...they're beating everyone else by at least 10 strokes. Hopefully the game doesn't get that easy once you master it lol
That gives me pauses, I really hope that isn't the case. I'm really looking forward to next Thursday and the online U.S Open and I don't want to see in ruined by some guy that goes -25 or something. While I may never win one I would like to at least think on Thursday that I have a chance before I go shoot my +9 in the first round.

# 82 kindella2 @ 06/10/09 10:34 AM
Havent played an online tourney but i am hooked so far...trying to get my skills up so i can dominate on the tour so the tournament challenge is where im at. But so far i love it, gotta some thing unlocked but still working.
the one thing i hate is that you have to buy the course when XBox has it free.

# 83 fpe @ 06/10/09 11:15 AM
Can you turn off the ball tracer? This really annoyed me in the demo.

# 84 daz @ 06/10/09 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpe
Can you turn off the ball tracer? This really annoyed me in the demo.
yep, you can turn it off.

# 85 Pappy Knuckles @ 06/10/09 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexmarkjen
I played this beast as well (with Jim Furyk, as my golfer "DerGar" is just nowhere near good enough yet to compete on his own). I only play Tour Pro like most of you guys; I shot 78, +6 with Jimmy and finished in 77th place. I hit the ball very well, but my putting was not good - and I am using the meter (for now).

Liking it early on, but my minor complaints would be:
1. Furyk's swing is not even close to his real swing
2. It was pouring rain at Torrey; can't the golfers and crowd be dressed in rain gear?

Back to building my guy; how in the heck is Onlooker putting without the meter so early on? Wow.

My gamertag is Xcommish
The best thing to do is jump right in. Like Onlooker, I turned the putting meter off as soon as I got it. Honestly, if you played tour pro last year, the putting really isn't that much different without it. You should be able to catch on pretty quickly.

# 86 mikemj23 @ 06/10/09 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
Just rented the 360 version. The last TW console game I owned and played was TW 06 for the 360 (I play the PC version). Now, given this is the fifth year on next-gen consoles, can someone please explain (justify?) why on earth EA STILL hasn't incorporated a tempo-sensitive swing ala Links 2004?

I'm truly baffled by this. This is supposed to by a golf simulation. The simple fact is, the ability to raise the club over one's head and hold it there indefinitely without losing power/accuracy, is arcade nonsense. The equivelent would be a video football game where one could drop back with their QB and scan the field for a receiver indefinitely without risk of getting sacked. And a football game like that would be considered laughable.

Anyway and as for the rest of it: the game strikes me as being developed for kids. What's with all the locked content, my god? And typical of EA and the restrictions they place on the user, I'm forced to carry a driver -- what's up with that? Also, the lack of authentic PGA atmosphere and presentation (don't these developers ever watch actual PGA tourneys on TV?), along with the cartooney player faces/models and the uber-bright color palette, all reek of an attempt to appeal to the gamer crowd as opposed to people who actually follow the PGA and who play golf themselves (and who live on earth and in world of muted, realistic tones and colors, lol).

I've been playing cyber golf for close to twenty years, and have been golfing and watching PGA golf on TV for four-plus decades. This game is neither representative of the PGA, or the skill and mechanics involved in hitting a golf ball correctly. It's a child's toy, is what it is.
good post that gives one of the first negative views of the game. I totally agree on the tempo sensitive swing part. My big problem with 08, 09 etc. was that against my better judgment I bought into the hype pumped out and was fired up to get the game year after year thinking things would be different. Problem was - year after year, after you get over the initial excitement of booting up a new game and you really peeled back the onion, it was still the same old same old with the core mechanics and game play. This is an issue that a lot of sports games run into IMO. Year after year developers say they come up with new "improvements and enhancements" to the games, when in reality it's just a bunch of gimmicky cosmetic and game play mode changes.

My issue with Tiger (as mentioned before) is that I want 65 to be an accomplishment. I know this is not everyone's cup of tea, but I think TW in the past has more than catered to the casual golfer. This is exactly why I hope fellow OS'ers will be honest and come back and post over the next few weeks to give REAL feedback after they have played and gotten some time with the game. I know now that many are reporting scores in the 80's and 90's on Tour Pro difficulty, but I want to hear what you are shooting once you improve your golfer. If 40's, 50's per round are the norm in both offline and online modes then it makes the game a very easy pass for me no matter how much I want to buy it.

# 87 sooner1 @ 06/10/09 01:51 PM
Yeah all you guys that are talking about the difficulty lol. Where? I dont see it. Its so easy to hit the ball straight. I like the game but 08 on my ps3 was harder to hit straight. Im on 360 this year. I just dont see where this increased difficulty is. The game seems way easier to me. Yes I play on tour pro.

# 88 mikemj23 @ 06/10/09 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
I hear you, bro. I've been playing TW 08 on the CPU for two years, and I can count on one hand the number of rounds I've broken 70. (Well, maybe two hands, but you get my drift.) No doubt this game would be somewhat fun to play online or whatever. But I brought the game home and fired it up, took one of the default pros, put the game on Tour Mode, and starting shooting. I think it was the third hole before I missed a fairway or green. I'm guessing scores in the 60's and 50's (and 40's??) will be the norm with this game.
Hmmmmm . . . maybe I will pick up TW 08 for PC.

# 89 starship @ 06/10/09 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadeus
This game is almost unplayable due to the difficulty. The idiots at EA made it so hard that I played the first challenge at St. Andrews, which is supposed to be easy, and Paula Creamer birdied every hole. Complete bull****. Have fun guys.
I lost to Paula in that challange on the second hole of Sudden Death. She didn't birdie every hole, but she was definitely tougher than I would expect from a 1 point challange.

Another thing: I seem to recall that in the past when you went to SD that you went back to the 18th tee and kept repeating that hole until someone won. Well, we went back to a different hole (I think it was 14) and after halving it, we moved on to hole 15--just like the real deal. That's a nice improvment that I didn't expect.

# 90 Zalf @ 06/10/09 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemj23
good post that gives one of the first negative views of the game. I totally agree on the tempo sensitive swing part. My big problem with 08, 09 etc. was that against my better judgment I bought into the hype pumped out and was fired up to get the game year after year thinking things would be different. Problem was - year after year, after you get over the initial excitement of booting up a new game and you really peeled back the onion, it was still the same old same old with the core mechanics and game play. This is an issue that a lot of sports games run into IMO. Year after year developers say they come up with new "improvements and enhancements" to the games, when in reality it's just a bunch of gimmicky cosmetic and game play mode changes.

My issue with Tiger (as mentioned before) is that I want 65 to be an accomplishment. I know this is not everyone's cup of tea, but I think TW in the past has more than catered to the casual golfer. This is exactly why I hope fellow OS'ers will be honest and come back and post over the next few weeks to give REAL feedback after they have played and gotten some time with the game. I know now that many are reporting scores in the 80's and 90's on Tour Pro difficulty, but I want to hear what you are shooting once you improve your golfer. If 40's, 50's per round are the norm in both offline and online modes then it makes the game a very easy pass for me no matter how much I want to buy it.
On Tour Pro with Lightening Fast greens 65 will be an accomplishment for most. Putting is a real challenge. Yes I can hit every fairway and most greens but that isn't good enough anymore. You have to hit greens in a spot to line up putts and you have to nail the putts when you get the chance. I was worried it would feel cheap and arcade like but so far it feels real and rewarding.

You feel like you have done something when you make anything over 10 ft and you clinch up on every 3 footer. It is all about Tour Pro. It is all about fast or lightening fast greens. It is all about making putts.

Today's Tour Pro Daily is a perfect example. Turnberry with mild wind conditions and lightening fast greens. There are a hand full of people breaking 60 but a 65 puts you around the top 10 and a 69 puts you around the top 15. Those scores will get pushed back some during the day but real scores have a real chance of breaking the top 20-25. That wasn't the case last year.

# 91 Zalf @ 06/10/09 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner1
Yeah all you guys that are talking about the difficulty lol. Where? I dont see it. Its so easy to hit the ball straight. I like the game but 08 on my ps3 was harder to hit straight. Im on 360 this year. I just dont see where this increased difficulty is. The game seems way easier to me. Yes I play on tour pro.
The difficulty is on the green. Hitting fairways and greens is still nearly automatic. Putts on fast+ greens aren't. It is only part of the solution but it is part.

# 92 mikemj23 @ 06/10/09 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalf
The difficulty is on the green. Hitting fairways and greens is still nearly automatic. Putts on fast+ greens aren't. It is only part of the solution but it is part.
I'm still not willing to concede yet ... ... that this game is dead for me, but the above comments about hitting fairways and greens has got me 99.9% there.

If you are hitting all the fairways and greens and putting is what makes scores more realistic now, then I fully expect scores to drop very quickly when people figure out the intricacies of the new putting.

# 93 mikemj23 @ 06/10/09 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave374
OK. I've played this game enough now to give it my highest recommendation.

A) It's hard enough
B) There are enough features and courses
C) The online component is excellent - though I wish there were tourneys designed for casual players (over 35) on the tour pro level. I really don't wanna beat "theworldzgreatestgamaeva"'s -35.

I would give this game a 9.4/10.
So is -35 the lead right now in an online tourney on tour pro level?

I can't recall if I read - can users create their own tourneys? I assume not, but thought I would ask because it would be sweet to just create tourneys with OS members.

# 94 Pappy Knuckles @ 06/10/09 03:51 PM
Quote:
OK. I've played this game enough now to give it my highest recommendation.

A) It's hard enough
B) There are enough features and courses
C) The online component is excellent - though I wish there were tourneys designed for casual players (over 35) on the tour pro level. I really don't wanna beat "theworldzgreatestgamaeva"'s -35.

I would give this game a 9.4/10.
-35 on tour pro? Wow, yesterday when I played the highest was -10, that's just crazy. I don't even know how that's possible.

I kind of wish they just capped everybody to level the playing field. I also wish there was a way to filter your friends scores because I don't care about the rest.

# 95 mikemj23 @ 06/10/09 03:55 PM
Quote:
Actually, I was playing a weekly tourney and the guy's score was -31 after 2 rounds on Oakmont. Very annoying.

I want to play tournaments with casual, older guys who play for fun ... not world domination. That's just me.
100% agree. Two things :

1. I hope single try tourneys alleviate this non-sense.
2. If they don't then it's just not for me.

# 96 bluengold34_OS @ 06/10/09 03:58 PM
We should just set up a nice casual league Dave...we did it with Hot Shots and it worked great. Dave send me a pm if you want to do this. I have like 5 or 6 guys who are interested...but we have not put it together. I was thinking of just playing 2 rounds 1 night a week and just keep track of our scores over the course of like 15 tourneys.

# 97 Pappy Knuckles @ 06/10/09 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34
We should just set up a nice casual league Dave...we did it with Hot Shots and it worked great. Dave send me a pm if you want to do this. I have like 5 or 6 guys who are interested...but we have not put it together. I was thinking of just playing 2 rounds 1 night a week and just keep track of our scores over the course of like 15 tourneys.
I'd be interested in this. I still haven't broken par on Tour Pro so I won't be much of a threat, but it would be fun to have a little OS group to compete against.

# 98 ronnyballgame @ 06/10/09 04:04 PM
I preordered this bad boy, but from the demo and everyone on here, their early impressions on the demo were bad. So I was like, nice, saved myself some money. Not quite, now I am reading all of these positive reviews and I love golf, and I need my fix. I am pretty sure, unless I change my mind in Gamestop, I will be playing this game tonight, thanks to you all. The only thing I am hung up on is Baa's opinion on this game, other than that, it seems like people are genuinely having fun and enjoying it.

# 99 mikemj23 @ 06/10/09 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34
believe it or not, this could sway me to buy. Keep me in the loop if you guys are gonna put this together.

# 100 bluengold34_OS @ 06/10/09 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
I'd be interested in this. I still haven't broken par on Tour Pro so I won't be much of a threat, but it would be fun to have a little OS group to compete against.
The best I have done with my created player is +3 and still missed the cut.....so don't worry.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.