Home
Madden 2010 News Post

Check out the new Madden NFL 10 blog.

Quote:
"Donny Moore here, designer for Madden NFL 10. If you've been following me on Twitter (donny_moore) you've likely noticed that I have been working on player ratings for the game, but what I've had to remain pretty tight-lipped on so far this year has been my involvement with Online Franchise. EA Sports president Peter Moore just recently announced this feature last week at the E3 press conference, and we knew going in that there would be all kinds of speculation and discussion over the feature among our fans. So this week we wanted to take the opportunity to answer some of the most common questions that we've been seeing from the community and from the gaming media. Not everyone has a 100% clear idea of what all is included in the mode, and we have also noticed that some folks have expressed frustration over missing features. With that being the case, we felt it imperative to explain a.) why we made the decisions that we did and b.) our plan for the future developing on this new platform. This feature is extremely important to me, especially as a die-hard Franchise guy (for those that don't know I worked on NFL Head Coach 09 along with fellow designer Josh Looman), so it has been an incredible experience to be a part of building a brand new Online Franchise experience - something totally new and different for the millions of Madden fans out there."

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 lgxjames @ 06/10/09 12:07 AM
#8 on the franchise list is exciting

Wings - 3
Penguin -........................3
 
# 82 Danimal @ 06/10/09 12:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade44
My issue is I have been working on my own site. I dont want to spend the next 2 months building my own thing and have it available via madden.

I am assuming what they will have is essentially useless other than adjusting depth charts and viewing stats, I mean they arent talking about it.

In order to keep the league running, I need dynamic content to keep owners involved.
I don't think it will be useless, I think it will just be limited in terms of user content. Ian did tell me via Twitter you'll be able to associate high lights from your online franchise to the web page for it. Who knows maybe they will knock this out, honestly all the data is already available so it's just getting good web programmers to work with it.
 
# 83 MrStray72 @ 06/10/09 12:30 AM
I'm thinking that I'm going to wait a month before I start/join an online franchise, just in case they add some little things like salary cap and trade logic.

Add me onto the list that wants SALARY CAP AND TRADE LOGIC... please. Until then, it seems that online franchise will just be run like a fantasy football league. Either way, I think it'll be fun.

Any word if WindowsMobile phones will have an app for Madden?
 
# 84 jrich730 @ 06/10/09 12:45 AM
Haven't read all the pages but one pain will be you have to cut players to add your draft class since players never really leave
 
# 85 MelMan1486 @ 06/10/09 12:58 AM
didn't ready through the other pages but what about offline franchise?... judging from last year and the years before that usually when you ignore a topic it's because you didn't really do much to it to warrant a discussion about it... but I have a feeling that's not true. Hoping to hear about offline franchise soon.


Idk I may be drunk (just got back from the bar) but for some reason on my comp it says I jumped from level 7 to 90...
 
# 86 FOREST007 @ 06/10/09 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelMan1486
didn't ready through the other pages but what about offline franchise?... judging from last year and the years before that usually when you ignore a topic it's because you didn't really do much to it to warrant a discussion about it... but I have a feeling that's not true. Hoping to hear about offline franchise soon.


Idk I may be drunk (just got back from the bar) but for some reason on my comp it says I jumped from level 7 to 90...
yea...online franchise is cute and all, but i want that offline info too. i swear online franchise is like a new kid, just lays there...poop and cry...but still gets all the love. but honestly, im happy many ppl have the option of online franchise, but since they nstarted blogs and stuff we've only had one blog on upgrades..."tweaks"...made to the mode
 
# 87 TyghtWork @ 06/10/09 02:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrich730
Haven't read all the pages but one pain will be you have to cut players to add your draft class since players never really leave
Yea that came to mind, bt everyone will be cutting the 0-60 overall players. But, if we came up with online madden leagues, we can work around this.
 
# 88 droopizzle34 @ 06/10/09 02:26 AM
well they said if the community clamors for a salary cap and free agents then they could add it since the online franchise is server based.....

well i think the community is clamoring.
 
# 89 ghostlight85 @ 06/10/09 04:08 AM
There seems to be some misconception that there are no free agents in the online franchise mode. This is incorrect. There is no free AGENCY in the off season, however players like Marvin Harrison will be in online franchise if they are in the game, you will just have to come up with some system for who gets who as far as free agents. It's not ideal, but seriously if you read a bit you'll see that it's not stagnant rosters that stay the same from year to year. You just might have to get creative at first to solve the free agency issue. The problem for me is that the CPU teams most likely will have to be handled by the commissioner or else they will pretty much keep everyone in place.
 
# 90 Palo20 @ 06/10/09 04:16 AM
The NFL may not have a salary cap soon.....Maybe just some foreshadowing.....
 
# 91 DLaren @ 06/10/09 04:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
To be clear...we're not being secretive on 'offline' franchise. We've just been working hard and haven't had time to talk about it. We will report more in the coming months...but to make sure expectations are clear, our franchise goals were:

1. Fix all the things that have been totally broken (progression, cap room, etc)
2. Make CPU teams actually manage their roster correctly (draft, FA, etc)
3. Make every game feel different through different presentation (and CPU AI)
4. Streamline the interface overall
5. Bring important news forward to the user (instead of burying it 10 layers deep in screens) via the Franchise Hub and via the Extra Point
6. Make scouting worth using
7. Make depth matter via ratings stretching and injuries
8. Make the draft interesting again
9. Do a bunch of other small fixes and additions.

But we really wanted to make this mode fun to play again, and make it a totally different experience while traveling around the league and playing week to week. We do that through a number of different avenues whether it is commentary, stat banners, cut scenes, or whatever.


 
# 92 mjgill85 @ 06/10/09 04:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelysk
Why not? I have played Head Coach 09 a hell of A LOT more then Madden 09 on my 360! They did a hell of a job with it even though it was broken on many areas. Madden 10 improvements + Head Coach 09 = dream football game. I am still buying Madden 10 but I hope I can see more of the good things of head coach on Madden 11. Tell Josh Looman that he should make another head coach game, if he does I will preorder it in a heart beat.
You have to remember that Josh wasn't on the Madden team for the full development cycle. Long after Head Coach was released he was on the forums interacting with us, fixing bugs and putting out a patch.

The fact that in less than 6 months(ish) he's implemented all the fixes that Ian mentioned (which means we have a working and interesting franchise mode this year) is a great start.

Hopefully next year, with a full cycle to work through and a franchise mode with solid foundations, we'll get a few more bells and whistles that we saw on Head Coach (trading future draft picks, training camp rosters and subsequent roster cuts, undrafted FA, in-depth staff roles/hiring/development, team philosophy specific player ratings etc.)
 
# 93 JBH3 @ 06/10/09 08:52 AM
What Ian posted (quoted above) is very promising.
 
# 94 Broncos86 @ 06/10/09 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FadeEmAll
I'm going to post this and then be done with the Online Franchise debate, we all know I"ve devoted too much time to it. I'm glad they put some semblance of an Online Franchise in the game but as for the current state of it, I don't think it's worth my purchase and I'll just stick with NCAA. The minute the "Online League" turns into a complete "Online Franchise" the game is sold to yours truly.

One things upsets me though. Donny mentioned in the interview that it's up to the consumers/fans demand certain features be added in to Online Franchise. You mean we have to beg to get trade logic, salary cap, and free agency put into an "Online Franchise" mode?!?!?! Maybe it's just a marketing ploy or the way he said it came off the wrong way, but I find it a little disconcerting when you claim your goal is to make a "Sim" game, yet the fans have to "demand" basic elements of the the game be put into it. It's already bad enough, though acceptable, the features aren't in the mode, but now it should just be a matter of correcting them and putting them in on the server, not a response to consumer demand. I've said from the get go "Developers intentionally leave things out to generate interest for next year". Online Franchise is beginning to look like a victim of this theory.
 
# 95 GQman2121 @ 06/10/09 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FadeEmAll
Well since Salary Cap and Trade Logic for Online Franchise will be added based on community demand. Allow me to be the first to say "Please implement Salary Cap and Trade Logic as fast as possible"
QFT.


I also think the work around mentioned about dropping players rated 70 and above is ridiculous. That is a sure fire way to start unnecessary conflicts between owners.
 
# 96 GQman2121 @ 06/10/09 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marktg30

The ONLY fun thing I see for Online Franchise is the off-season draft.
With cpu generated players...........

Have fun with that. :P

In all seriousness though, no cap really kills the off-season part of the mode. And it's blatantly obvious that its omission is damaging.

They will do something about it. I highly doubt they would be making all of these server side changes if needed claims if they did not already have something in the cards.
 
# 97 dave731 @ 06/10/09 12:39 PM
Salary Cap Added along with Free Agency in Online Franchise - Madden 2011

NCAA Draft Class Integration in Online Franchise - Madden 2012

CPU Trade Logic in Online Franchise - Madden 2013

All of the above via spawn game feature - Madden 2004

I just need one thing to function properly in order to run an effective online franchise and that is spawn game not corrupting after week 4 every season.

http://www.madden04.com/maddenplanet/newsdata/files/EEkuFVpuAujXETxUnL.shtml

I'm still buying Madden but I'm disappointed at the stripped down online franchise that we are getting...
 
# 98 TDKing @ 06/10/09 12:52 PM
My order of must haves...
1. Salary cap/Player contracts! Needs to be in this year asap! please....
2. Trade Logic
3. Extra Point stuff/presentation
4. Import Draft Classes (don't really care about this one)
I just hope stuff isn't being purposly left out to sell madden 11. If that's the case then use 3 and 4 for that. LOL ...
 
# 99 TyghtWork @ 06/10/09 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDKing
My order of must haves...
1. Salary cap/Player contracts! Needs to be in this year asap! please....
2. Trade Logic
3. Extra Point stuff/presentation
4. Import Draft Classes (don't really care about this one)
I just hope stuff isn't being purposly left out to sell madden 11. If that's the case then use 3 and 4 for that. LOL ...
The only thing i really want, is Salary/ Player contracts. Trade logic for a cpu team, dont really care about that. Its online so it should be all real people, why need the cpu to have trade logic?
Importing draft classes? Thats only good if your playing in both, Online Franchise and Online Dynasty. Only 12 out of 32 players in the franchise, will know the in coming draft class from ncaa. The extra point stuff will only be good for the 1st season. Then most of us will skip it. I want to play the game not look at it, but thats just me. Im happy with what they added, very happy. But ill love it, if they can get the cap in. Just my $0.02.
 
# 100 CapnKill @ 06/10/09 03:37 PM
Did we get an answer as to what happens if a disconnect occurs during an on-line franchise game?
 


Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.