Home
Madden 2010 News Post

IndustryGamers seems to think so.

Quote:
"With publishers and retailers having come and gone to E3 this past week, having seen no sign of any console hardware price cuts, the industry is starting to get antsy. Sales in the U.S. are expected to drop yet again in May by as much as 17% and movement on hardware pricing can't come soon enough, especially on the still too expensive PS3.

The good news is that Sony may be preparing to lower the price on PS3 this August in order to take advantage of the launch of EA Sports' Madden, which is always an event unto itself. Sterne Agee analyst Arvind Bhatia reports in his latest industry note that “industry sources indicate Sony is planning a $100 price cut on the PS3 in mid-August, just prior the launch of Madden (8/18) and the start of the back to school shopping season. This will naturally be a positive for the industry."

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Netherscourge @ 06/10/09 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewto16
You should really work on your grammar and research before bothering to post anything.

PS3 games are $60, the same cost as 360 games. Have been the entire time. Sony never charged more for their games. Both charge $10 more than the Wii.

You say that MGS and Killzone were must have games for you, but then you say 360 is getting Metal Gear and KillZone isn't a must have. Which is it?

Your whole statement/paragraph is just jibberish. To think that you have posted over 200 times and they have all probably been this meangingful is fantastic.

There is no 60GB PS3 anymore....80GB and 160GB. Otherwise, your assumed price structure is correct.

Unless he's from another country where the price is +10 over the US dollar and he's speaking broken English because it's not his native language...

# 22 pfunk880 @ 06/10/09 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netherscourge
Unless he's from another country where the price is +10 over the US dollar and he's speaking broken English because it's not his native language...
I was thinking that too but his location appears to indicate that he is in Kentucky.

# 23 Matt Diesel @ 06/10/09 02:34 PM
Who buys there kid a PS3 for school?

# 24 ken986 @ 06/10/09 02:51 PM
I doubt they will lower the price for a game like Madden. Don't get me wrong, Madden is a huge franchise and all but it is advertised more on the 360 than anything. I mean c'mon... Peter Moore is head of EA Sports...

If there will be a price cut, it will be near the holiday season when they have a couple exclusives coming out.

# 25 Yankees_CT @ 06/10/09 03:40 PM
I believe a $100 price cut will definitely help the PS3 and with the long lifecycle of the current systems I don't think it is too late yet for Sony. I own the big 3 systems but only buy EA games for the 360, they just seem to run a little better, IMHO. However, no sport games comes close to looking or performing as good as The Show, running on my 60GB....had since launch.....backwards compatible....never had a problem with....knock on wood.....PS3.

# 26 goldrush @ 06/10/09 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRome
A blu-ray player for 299 with the ability to play one or two games I might like.

I'm in since I don't have a blu-ray player.
That's what I thought as well when I bought my PS3 at launch. However, it's only been a Blu-Ray player for me. I've only purchased one game for the PS3, MGS4, which was outstanding, and have rented a handful. But I always go back to my 360. I just like it more for playing games. I like the controller better, I like Xbox Live better, I like the dashboard better, and some other things.

Do I think the 360 is a more powerful system? No I don't, I also think it lost out when it did not include Blu-Ray or HDDVD. And I don't mean it from a movie viewing perspective (I could care less really, though honestly if it did come with a Blu-Ray drive, I would likely have NOT bothered purchasing the PS3 at all), I'm coming from a media storage angle.

Any way, I'm not some hardcore fanboy of any system. I just play where my experience is better. Last generation, it was PS2, this time around it's the 360. Hell I used to flip-flop between Sega and Nintendo for years.

# 27 SageInfinite @ 06/10/09 04:01 PM
PS3 is awesome. Glad to see it's cheaper. Not as awesome as some people would lead you to believe, but definitely worth it.

# 28 blklightning @ 06/10/09 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRome
Umm The PS3 is losing and sinking.

The NPD sales data for January has been released, and video game sales in the US remain strong. Overall, sales saw a thirteen percent jump from last year, proving that the gaming industry is one of the rare strong points in the US economy... even if individual developers are struggling. While both Nintendo and Microsoft have solid angles to play up this month, Sony is struggling with a significant drop in year-over-year sales as well as a lack of software titles in the top ten list.

Microsoft

The 360 sold a decent amount in January with 309,000 units moved. Microsoft's system also moved a ton of software with Left 4 Dead, Call of Duty: World at War, and Skate 2 taking the fourth, fifth, and sixth places on the software sales list. Lord of the Rings: Conquest is one of the rare new releases on the list, coming in at tenth place.

This continues the trend we see month after month: Microsoft falls way behind Nintendo in hardware sales, but the blockbuster console releases—aimed mostly at the so-called "core gamer"—find a home on the 360.
Sony

The PlayStation sold 203,200 units, more than 100,000 less than the 360, and the PSP and PS2 sold 172,300 and 101,200 respectively. Those are solid numbers, and all told Sony sold a good amount of each of its hardware in the family, but none of the systems took any kind of leadership role on the boards. PlayStation 3 sales are also down year over year—not a good sign for the continued growth of the system, especially when the Xbox 360 saw solid year-over-year growth from 230,000 to 309,000.

What does this mean. Developers are not making money producing Sony's games. Unless they get more units in homes you can expect the PS3 to be a great Blu Ray player.

If you paid 399 to 599 for a PS3 do you really feel as though the games are 100-200 dollars better on your system than a 360.

It's actually embarrassing that most of the games have been better on the 360. So if your a developer and you can make more money if your game is on the 360 why would you put so much time in getting a great PS3 game which will cause more to produce for less profit.

Like some have said. This price cut comes to late.

Didn't Microsoft do the same thing before Madden hit last year. What happened to the originality Sony. When did they ever expect to hit the sweet spot for selling systems 199.

Sony killed itself. But I would purchase that great Blu Ray machine for 299.
the 360 is more like a 1500 dollar system instead of a 300 dollar system. no built-in wireless. seriously? not to mention the console itself is basically an annual throwaway piece of garbage. but hey, if you like supporting companies that produce horridly unreliable hardware, then more power to you. personally, i always go for quality over what's cheap. because in the end, that is usually the cheapest route anyway. and the "who has the games argument" is now laughably in favor of sony's machine.

# 29 Brandon_c993 @ 06/10/09 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beefjohnson
yeah i was confused because I swear I thought ps3 and 360's games were the same price lol

As far as people saying whats better...eh..idk. Ive played both and theres not much difference as far as playing goes imo.

I will hand PS3 props though for lasting. Buddy of mine still has his first one he bought when they dropped.

Since then ive went through 3 xbox's bc of the ring which we do not speak of..its bad luck. So gameplay wise..to me..not much difference to matter...system quality hands down goes to ps3 for me. Ive been wanting to buy one but $400 isnt cutting it...ive been hoping they would atleast drop it to 300
Not to start a "flame war" but Sony doesn't need props for releasing a system that is actually stable Microsoft needs to be condemned for releasing an inferior(lifespan) console. just like they did for Windows Vista...

# 30 Brandon_c993 @ 06/10/09 05:19 PM
I am really suprised people haven't been more excited for MAG which is a PS3 exclusive...256 person online play!!! I am super excited for it

# 31 Bgamer90 @ 06/10/09 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning
not to mention the console itself is basically an annual throwaway piece of garbage. but hey, if you like supporting companies that produce horridly unreliable hardware, then more power to you.
lol and yet you support Sony after the DRE errors with the PS2 and having to turn the PS1 upside down to get it to read the discs?

Seems that a lot of people forget about the problems that Sony systems were known for in previous gens.

Also, both the 360 and PS3 have a good future in games which was shown at E3.

# 32 Brandon_c993 @ 06/10/09 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgamer90
lol and yet you support Sony after the DRE errors with the PS2 and having to turn the PS1 upside down to get it to read the discs?

Seems that a lot of people forget about the problems that Sony systems were known for in previous gens.

P.S. how do you know he even had a PS2 or PS1??? maybe he jumped over from Nintendo or Microsoft...

Also, both the 360 and PS3 have a good future in games which was shown at E3.
lol I always have the system that doesn't have these problems...lol I had and Xbox and Gamecube last gen and this gen have a PS3...

# 33 HitDoctor @ 06/10/09 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turfguy23
I owned a 360 until it crapped out with the RODeath. I have no plan to buy another one "so I don't really care." I'm sure the PS3 version will be just as much FUN TO PLAY as the 360.

continue on earthlings.......
Red Ring of death was the final blow for me as well. No regrets moving over to ps3 for over a year now (same console NO problems) and didn't have to worry about a-la-carte accessories!

# 34 Triathlete_201 @ 06/10/09 05:50 PM
My 360 lasted over a year before it got RROD, but MS fixed it free of charge. My PS3 lasted 3 months -the disc eject stopped working. Both are great systems, but I use my xbox 360 99% of the time..I prefer the controller and online setup much more. I'll turn on the PS3 again when Uncharted 2 comes out, which looks absolutely phenomenal.

# 35 marshallfever @ 06/10/09 10:45 PM
I don't think so, this is not the ideal cut Sony is thinking of. In my guess, they're probably cut the price right before the release of Uncharted 2. Even though Madden is still a big contender, i don't think it can move consoles like it could of/did for the ps2 era.

# 36 Brandon_c993 @ 06/11/09 12:30 PM
I have seen multiple people say that the PS3 doesn't have great exclusives....well you have InFamous, MLB 09, MAG(256 player online) The Uncharted series, the GOW series, MGS4, Killzone 2, Buzz TV is very fun, LittleBigPlanet, The Motorstorm series is pretty popular, Grand Turismo 5, Heavenly sword was supposed to be pretty good(haven't played) The Ratchet&Clank series, Resistasnce 2, Resistance: fall of man, Socom: confronation(hugely underated due to early game bugs fixed by patches) Now tell me again that they don't have good exclusives...it's not about quanity it is about quality with exclusive games and these games sure do have that...

# 37 ewto16 @ 06/11/09 12:31 PM
PS3 for $50 off at Amazon today. Take advantage of this price cut and pick one up.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...=operasport-20

# 38 Bender18 @ 06/11/09 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theant1h3ro
Lol the PS2 LOST!!!!! WTF are you talking about I dont feel like looking up the sales figures ATM but I do know that the PS2 is the best selling console of all time(off the top of my head I believe it has sold around 125-126 million units in its lifetime). As a matter of fact this year alone there have been months where the 9 year old system outsold the current gen 360. Im sorry but anyone thinking Sony is losing this gen or lost last gen is delusional.....Sony's console didn't come out till a year after the 360 did meaning that the 360 had almost a full 365 days to sell consoles before the PS3 even hit store shelves. A quick check at NPD sales for 2005 and 2006 shows that the 360 sold roughly 5 million units before the PS3 came out. A look at the NPD sales now shows that the 360 is roughly 8 million units ahead of the PS3 and thats with all of the AAA titles for the 360 already being out. A ton of heavy hitters for the PS3 are still to come ie. Gran Turismo 5, God of War III, the first PS3 iteration of Final Fantasy as well as Final Fantasy Online, the just announced Rockstar North exclusive The Agent etc etc. Also add in the fact that the PS3 is nowhere near full potential yet, just look at games like the first Uncharted compared to Killzone 2 and Uncharted Among Thieves the games are only going to get better in every aspect where the 360 games are going to have marginal improvements graphically and physics related at best. Oh and to the ludicrous comment about the Dreamcast beating out the PS2, the PS2 is the reason that Sega is focusing on making Sonic at the olympics games instead of still making consoles. Rest assured this console gen is far from over and with the hardware inside the PS3 it easily is capable of outputting the best games on the market for some time to come.
You got it exactly right. The PS3 is full of potential. As Sony has stated in its press releases before, it makes its systems to have a really long life cycle. Coupling this with the fact that the hardware itself is really well built, you have yourself an amazing system.

# 39 Jamin23 @ 06/11/09 03:46 PM
I don't get how people get RRD. I haven't not gotten it since I bought my first 360(knock on wood). I don't think I will get it anytime soon.

# 40 Ed O'Neil @ 06/11/09 03:50 PM
I've had my 60GB PS3 since launch .. so no concern to me ..

Plus I'm sure BOTH games on BOTH systems run the same .. so it doesn't matter what console you get it for ..

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.