Home
Madden 2010 News Post

EA just posted part 2 of their Madden NFL 10 Franchise Mode improvements Q&A.

Quote:
"I’m Josh Looman, senior designer for Madden NFL 10 and the guy who had the privilege of tuning franchise mode this year. I thought I’d sit down and answer a lot of the questions I’ve received about franchise mode and the changes we made this cycle. As I’ve mentioned before (in this blog), my goal was to clean up the logic and get this mode back to where it needed to be. I’ll repeat my favorite analogy for those of you who haven’t heard it before: If you found out you had termites in your house, would you build on another addition or clean up the foundation so that you could build on the house in the future? That was exactly our attitude and my sole focus since I joined the Madden team halfway through the development cycle. I enlisted the help of one of my top programmers from NFL Head Coach ’09 (Jeff Keyek) and worked with the rest of the Madden team to address many of the core aspects of the mode that really needed fixing."

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 181 mwjr @ 06/18/09 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryBook
If you can't see Peyton Manning being a coach one day than I've got some beachfront property in Arizona to sell you.
He's certainly smart enough to do it, but Manning has a future on screen after he's done playing. He's as natural in front of the camera as any actor I've ever seen. Hell, if Keaneu Reeves can still get jobs in Hollywood...

# 182 mwjr @ 06/18/09 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sois
Yes, this interaction is new, but it actually may be the way companies and consumers communicate from here on out.
Actually, it's not that new. Developers from VC/2K would frequent an old 2K Football site, and they would take feedback from the posters there. Many of the suggestions were implemented in NFL 2k4 and 2k5.

# 183 Deegeezy @ 06/18/09 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwjr
Different era? Not sure I understand. All of those guys are current coaches.
By different era, I meant a different "breed" if you will, of players.

The old-school players of back in the day were more prone to go into coaching. The greats of today won't be going into coaching at the same rate because of money and time. I think the trend for today's athlete will be for broadcasting more than coaching in retirement years.

# 184 Finsfan46 @ 06/18/09 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegeezy
By different era, I meant a different "breed" if you will, of players.

The old-school players of back in the day were more prone to go into coaching. The greats of today won't be going into coaching at the same rate because of money and time.
Thats what I think too, on the money side.....If your saying some of the current coaches were great in their times, it may be true...thats a matter of opinion.
But what is true, is that they are prolly making more money coaching than they ever did playing, and that just wont hold true for todays stars.

# 185 IronRazor57 @ 06/18/09 11:31 AM
What was wrong with and what ever happened to "Importing Draft Classes from the (same year's) NCAA Football title"?

...AND, before I spend $500.00 of labored wages on purchasing a personal XBox 360 or PS3, can someone who knows P L E A S E answer my "deal/investment-breaker" question:

Will Madden 10 provide the custom options of Create a Coach, Create a Customized Playbook (including Created Plays - Offensive & Defensive) that can be utilized in multiple Game Modes?????!

...and yeah, it is that important to many Madden gamers who play Franchise, Tournament, and Head-to-Head Competitions - wherein our diverse strategies, philosophies and FOOTBALL KNOWLEDGE can be implemented & executed!

...can we finally controll our own team's X's and O's like we could way back in Madden 2004? ...when all of the above was possible on a PS2 (less advanced technology)...!

# 186 Broncos86 @ 06/18/09 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronRazor57
What was wrong with and what ever happened to "Importing Draft Classes from the (same year's) NCAA Football title"?

...AND, before I spend $500.00 of labored wages on purchasing a personal XBox 360 or PS3, can someone who knows P L E A S E answer my "deal/investment-breaker" question:

Will Madden 10 provide the custom options of Create a Coach, Create a Customized Playbook (including Created Plays - Offensive & Defensive) that can be utilized in multiple Game Modes?????!

...and yeah, it is that important to many Madden gamers who play Franchise, Tournament, and Head-to-Head Competitions - wherein our diverse strategies, philosophies and FOOTBALL KNOWLEDGE can be implemented & executed!

...can we finally controll our own team's X's and O's like we could way back in Madden 2004? ...when all of the above was possible on a PS2 (less advanced technology)...!
You can import draft classes, you cannot create a coach, cannot create a playbook.

# 187 1WEiRDguy @ 06/18/09 11:48 AM
There must be a distinction between franchise and owner b/c i havent seen any news on how you will actually RUN the team...ticket prices, food, upgrades to stadium, etc...

# 188 skudplayr @ 06/18/09 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronRazor57

Importing draft classes - In.

Create a coach - Out

Create a play/playbook - Out

Your last question - I don't think it's going to be as in depth as you like.

# 189 dave731 @ 06/18/09 03:34 PM
I would love a port of Madden 2004 with updated rosters and the spawn game feature fully functioning...slap 2010 on the cover and I'd be more than happy!

# 190 Broncos86 @ 06/18/09 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1WEiRDguy
There must be a distinction between franchise and owner b/c i havent seen any news on how you will actually RUN the team...ticket prices, food, upgrades to stadium, etc...
There is no "owner" mode. You get "franchise mode." There, you play owner/GM/Coach. The owner section lets you dabble with some of the pricing, stadium upgrades, etc. But you can ignore this entirely, and it really isn't going to affect your game.

# 191 cam780 @ 06/18/09 09:06 PM
Kind of disappointed. I have to say after I read the termites comment I pretty much lost hope for anything that will make this a 12 month game for me. I agree with the poster who said that its irritating to have a former player automatically become a head coach.

In real life there is a usually a progression, position coach, coordinator, head coach but since Madden doesn't have position coaches that's impossible. No future draft picks. No word on restricted free agency.

Progression and AI tweaks seem promising but these are the type of additions that can go horribly awry if they're not implemented correctly which makes me skeptical.

I usually buy NCAA to generate draft classes and then hit the store for midnight madden but this year I think I'm skipping NCAA completely and renting Madden for as much as I played 09 it'd be more economical.

# 192 football5680 @ 06/19/09 02:29 PM
The madden 09 draft sucked really bad. every single QB was picked before the 3rd round and it didn't matter how good they were. their were no steals. the only players who were worth anything deep in the draft were Offensive guards and Tightends.

# 193 Broncos86 @ 06/19/09 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam780
Kind of disappointed. I have to say after I read the termites comment I pretty much lost hope for anything that will make this a 12 month game for me. I agree with the poster who said that its irritating to have a former player automatically become a head coach.

In real life there is a usually a progression, position coach, coordinator, head coach but since Madden doesn't have position coaches that's impossible. No future draft picks. No word on restricted free agency.

Progression and AI tweaks seem promising but these are the type of additions that can go horribly awry if they're not implemented correctly which makes me skeptical.

I usually buy NCAA to generate draft classes and then hit the store for midnight madden but this year I think I'm skipping NCAA completely and renting Madden for as much as I played 09 it'd be more economical.
NCAA 10 is pretty screwed up, in terms of rosters. At least, for now. I'm not sure what you were expecting for Madden 10, but to bring up things like position coaches? With what you seem to be expecting, I would just not worry about Madden until 2020.

# 194 JB0B0 @ 06/19/09 04:05 PM
as long as the cpu logic is good (and that goes for free agency, trades, and the draft) - then i will be pleased with the franchise. In madden 09 i couldnt go for more than 5 years in a franchise...this year i might just go the whole 30 years.

btw its good to be back

# 195 StankyCheeZ267 @ 06/30/09 07:27 PM
Will offensive linemen have more impact in the draft because most of the time the first offensive lineman wont come off the board until the 3rd round unless you make a beast in NCAA 09 and export him over to madden. They probably have fixed this because of the recent trends of lineman going very high in the first round. (Joe Thomas, Jake Long, D'Brickshaw Ferguson, Jason Smith, Orlando Pace, Ryan Clady, etc.) This would add a great level of realism to the game.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.