Home
Madden 2010 News Post

EA just posted part 2 of their Madden NFL 10 Franchise Mode improvements Q&A.

Quote:
"I’m Josh Looman, senior designer for Madden NFL 10 and the guy who had the privilege of tuning franchise mode this year. I thought I’d sit down and answer a lot of the questions I’ve received about franchise mode and the changes we made this cycle. As I’ve mentioned before (in this blog), my goal was to clean up the logic and get this mode back to where it needed to be. I’ll repeat my favorite analogy for those of you who haven’t heard it before: If you found out you had termites in your house, would you build on another addition or clean up the foundation so that you could build on the house in the future? That was exactly our attitude and my sole focus since I joined the Madden team halfway through the development cycle. I enlisted the help of one of my top programmers from NFL Head Coach ’09 (Jeff Keyek) and worked with the rest of the Madden team to address many of the core aspects of the mode that really needed fixing."

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Deegeezy @ 06/16/09 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thudias
Dick Jauron (Buffalo Bills) was a defensive back with the Detroit Lions (1973-77) and Cincinnati Bengals (1978-80).
Tony Dungy (Indianapolis Colts) was a safety for the Pttsburgh Steelers (1977-78) and San Francisco 49ers (1979).
Jeff Fisher (Tennessee Titans) was a defensive back and kick returner for the Chicago Bears (1981-85).
Jack Del Rio (Jacksonville Jaguars) played linebacker for the New Orleans Saints (1985-86), Kansas City Chiefs (1987-88), Dallas Cowboys (1989-91), and Minnesota Vikings (1992-95).
Gary Kubiak (Houston Texans) was a quarterback for the Denver Broncos (1983-91).
Herm Edwards (Kansas City Chiefs) was a cornerback for the Philadelphia Eagles (1977-85), Atlanta Falcons (1986) and Los Angeles Rams (1986).
Ken Whisenhunt (Arizona Cardinals) played tight end for the Atlanta Falcons (1985-88), Washington Redskins (1989-90), and New York Jets (1991-93).
Sean Payton (New Orleans Saints) was a quarterback with the Chicago Bears (1987).

I'm not saying...I'm just saying..
Again...That was a different era. And yes, those guys became head coaches after years and years of working up the ranks. They didn't become NFL head coaches or coordinators two years after retiring.

# 42 bcruise @ 06/16/09 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanesFan5
Wait where's part 1?
Pretty sure that was the online blog.

# 43 Von Dozier @ 06/16/09 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sois
That's it?

DOES IR WORK THIS SEASON OR NOT!!! It's a yes or no answer, and has been broken forever.
If you had done your homework at all, you would know this question has already been answered before.

# 44 Deegeezy @ 06/16/09 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hova57
bill cohwer,washington coach,dallas offensive coordinator
Both scrubs in the NFL.

The scrubs are the ones that become coaches most often, not superstars (which is what will be the case in Madden I bet).

# 45 djp34 @ 06/16/09 04:41 PM
Im pleased with the improvements there is still some ways to go to make it great but at least we can play franchise now and next year will be even better good job josh.

# 46 xanmank @ 06/16/09 04:41 PM
Quote:
I don't know why they would go through the trouble of making a blog post for 14 questions. With all the build up, I would have guessed for a lot more. That amount of questions could have been answered in one forum post.
Agreed.

# 47 Sven Draconian @ 06/16/09 04:43 PM
Are the hand crafted rookes going to have random names? I don't want to run into the same draft class if I do two diferent franchise or read somebodies posted chise.

# 48 jzal8 @ 06/16/09 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthreemafia
And what you are SAYING is wrong.

We said great players. None of them were much more than average.
Actually alot of those guys were great players.

# 49 Finsfan46 @ 06/16/09 04:46 PM
Quote:
Can someone please tell me how many former players become coaches? I can understand as positional coaches, but Ive always hated that you seen top players become head coaches in the game, when that never really happens.
My idea for this, (say wish list for 11) would be when you get the list of players that retired, you could mark some (5 or so) for potential coaching spots.....then like 2 of them become coaches.
If done right, they would be lower rated, so you wouldnt want them in a HC position, but over time they can progress.

That way you are kinda controlling the players that become coaches.....and most of us know it's very seldom the Superstars, so pick who YOU want.

# 50 turfguy23 @ 06/16/09 04:47 PM
Quote:
I don't know why they would go through the trouble of making a blog post for 14 questions. With all the build up, I would have guessed for a lot more. That amount of questions could have been answered in one forum post.
They didn't make this blog just for us here at OS. Josh was kind enough to ask for any questions, but he didn't have to do that. He could have just written a blog. Remember, this is a privilege to be a part of this community. EA doesn't need our input. They give us the opportunity to ask questions.

Perspective. This blog was not written JUST FOR US. People from outside of OS are allowed to read it. They (EA) give us the respect here at OS knowing that were hardcore gamers. But that doesn't entitle us to demand more answers for a blog. It's like they give you $20 bucks and you say it isn't good enough. You want $40.

# 51 TheWatcher @ 06/16/09 04:48 PM
Well, one thing is for sure; the interface looks fantastic. If we just had highlights, or at least pics for now (arrrggggghhhh), but it appears it will have a nice look at least.

# 52 roadman @ 06/16/09 04:49 PM
Quote:

Avg players?

Jauron, Dungy, Edwards, Del Rio, Fischer and Singletary were avg players?

One is HOF and the others were good to great players.

# 53 SoxFan01605 @ 06/16/09 04:53 PM
Quote:

I'm sorry, but this is all semantics. I agree that it's usually lesser known/skilled players becoming coaches, but I'm okay with it being bigger names in Madden. He never said head coaches either...he just said coaches. In the past, they were mediocre at best and generally had one peak skill related to the position they played. Seems fine to me.

I've seen a lot of arguing about this and zero suggestions. How would you propose it's done? Should it just arbitrarily spit out low rated guys or should there be a formula in place? Base it on awareness, perhaps (but, then again, high awareness is usually for the higher ranked player, leading to the same issues, I'd imagine).

I'm not saying anything is wrong with preferring lesser players or HOF types becoming coaches in Madden (It IS more realistic that way after all, I agree). I just don't understand the utter disappointment in how it's being presented. It's something that no game has done differently, and I'd imagine it's an "easier said than done" type features.

Remember, the game doesn't know these characters as actual people, just a jumble of data. Maybe assign certain guys a "future coach" type logic or tag of some sort...I dunno. I guess I don't personally get why this has become the talking point of the franchise blog (I mean, there are, IMO, more pressing concerns, right?)...lol. Everyone has their thing though.

# 54 Deegeezy @ 06/16/09 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FadeEmAll
Are we seriously arguing over the players who become coaches in franchise mode. How is this even remotely crucial? I understand the concept of to each his own, but can you seriously be tripping about Deion being a coach?!?!
Why can't people discuss anything on this board without someone thinking that a person is "tripping" or "panties are in a bunch?" It's a message board for crying out loud.

It's not that serious. Geesh

# 55 18manning18 @ 06/16/09 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FadeEmAll
Are we seriously arguing over the players who become coaches in franchise mode. How is this even remotely crucial? I understand the concept of to each his own, but can you seriously be tripping about Deion being a coach?!?!
I guess whiners and going to whine. If i was EA though i'd chalk this one up as a win if the coach thing is all we can come up with to complain about.

# 56 SHO @ 06/16/09 04:53 PM
Aww, no word about converting DEs into 3-4 LBs.

# 57 roadman @ 06/16/09 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echopax
So, the logic has been fixed and we got some bells and whistles.

Uh, ok.
Uh, better than nothing and a sharp stick in the eye, ok.

# 58 roadman @ 06/16/09 04:56 PM
Quote:
I already said Singletary was a great HOF player.

Edwards and Del Rio were good to great. Dungy wasnt that great. Jauron and Fisher were average at best.
If you say, so.

It's all subjective.

Jauron 1 Pro Bowl in 8 seasons and his career cut short because of a knee injury.

Good player.

# 59 thudias @ 06/16/09 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBLE
Aww, no word about converting DEs into 3-4 LBs.
It's mentioned right next to the section about draft presentation, just below trading future draft picks and right above the mentioning of the importance of team finances.

# 60 KyGamerLT @ 06/16/09 04:58 PM
Quote:
That logic is incredibly flawed.

We have been asking for more info on franchise for awhile now. The only thing this blog really did was go into more detail about what they said they were going to fix in the first blog.

NOTHING new came out of this blog really. Some decent info, but nothing new.

Its not about them not telling us enough. In fact, I think they told us just about everything, and while chise should be improved. I think its pretty obvious its not as in depth as many hoped it would be.
This year was to clean it up and they did that so i wasn't expecting tons of new stuff. Like he said would you rather have them add new stuff ontop of the old problems or go back and fix the old problems then only have to worry about to New features.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.