Home
Madden 2010 News Post

EA just posted part 2 of their Madden NFL 10 Franchise Mode improvements Q&A.

Quote:
"I’m Josh Looman, senior designer for Madden NFL 10 and the guy who had the privilege of tuning franchise mode this year. I thought I’d sit down and answer a lot of the questions I’ve received about franchise mode and the changes we made this cycle. As I’ve mentioned before (in this blog), my goal was to clean up the logic and get this mode back to where it needed to be. I’ll repeat my favorite analogy for those of you who haven’t heard it before: If you found out you had termites in your house, would you build on another addition or clean up the foundation so that you could build on the house in the future? That was exactly our attitude and my sole focus since I joined the Madden team halfway through the development cycle. I enlisted the help of one of my top programmers from NFL Head Coach ’09 (Jeff Keyek) and worked with the rest of the Madden team to address many of the core aspects of the mode that really needed fixing."

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 KyGamerLT @ 06/16/09 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthreemafia
I give EA a ton of credit for the improvements the have made to franchise....but it doesnt mean its going to be where it needs to be. Franchise mode IMO is what gives the game so much replayability. Based on what I know along with what else I see wrong with the game, I just dont think its worth 60 bones.
I think it's worth it, I mean what good would new features be to us if you cant advance past 2 or 3 seasons? The new look should help out and now that the stuff they brought in last year is said to be fixed you get to enjoy them like it's a new feature.

# 82 ryby6969 @ 06/16/09 05:24 PM
In all honesty, I am glad they are fixing problems that have been in franchise mode for years with the little time he had to do it in rather than leaving those problems and adding in new features. What good are new features if the base for the whole mode is broken?

# 83 TyghtWork @ 06/16/09 05:25 PM
You can move a de to olb, for a 3-4.

They said it in the online franchise blog. You cant do it online but you can offline.

# 84 AndyBernard @ 06/16/09 05:25 PM
Quote:
Q: Will coaches effect progression? For example it seemed like the Ravens and Steelers could draft LBer after LBer and most of them would become at least solid players.
A: Coaches, especially elite coaches, do impact a player’s ratings in Franchise Mode. Coaches like D. LeBeau will give a constant increase to certain player ratings in-game and when games are simmed, effectively making players on their team better all the time. You can see the impact they make in the player management screen. You’ll notice a little plus sign and a number next to the ratings they are increasing.
awesome. it actually matters who you have as coaches.

next year, have it effect how you scout, and good to go.

Andy was very impressed with the blog, and really likes how they are focusing on the little things of franchise mode to make it enjoyable again.

# 85 mikeveli20 @ 06/16/09 05:27 PM
Just read the blog. Pretty much exactly what I was expecting. Some very good and in depth info about the improved AI logic in several areas, but no mention of any additions (aside from the UI) or requested features.

I highly doubt the answers for those were held back for marketing reasons and were simply left out just because the answer was no. It's not like by announcing in two weeks that you can get fired or change teams in franchise mode is going to sell an extra 50,000 copies of the game.

There were a bunch of questions compiled in FadeEmAll's post that could easily be answered with simply a yes or no answer so I don't think lack of time had anything to do with it either. The amount of time it took to write the last two questions/answers could have been used to say yes or no to things like IR freeing up a roster spot or whether or not there is dynamic attendance.

Overall it was a good read and I'm glad they fixed the foundation of the mode, but the fact that no new information/features were released in this blog leads me to believe that there isn't anything left to reveal. Can't say I'm not disappointed as I was hoping for big things for Madden's 10 franchise mode, but I'm sure the game will still be more enjoyable than it has been for the past several years and I look forward to playing it.

# 86 MattIntellect @ 06/16/09 05:28 PM
Quote:
You just had that fanboy attitude acting like everyone should be happy.

Im going to drop it. Im not bashing EA this year. They deserve credit. Im just saying this blog was a let down. (no, not because of the players-coaches thing either)
It's all about avoiding unnecessary arguments that have been occurring nearly every day here.

Also, I'm not really a "fanboy" of anything and everyone will NEVER be happy.

# 87 MattIntellect @ 06/16/09 05:34 PM
Quote:
Thats fine, but I wasnt bashing the game or EA. Just gave my honest thoughts on it.

And the people bashing me for talking about the players-coaches thing are the only ones making a big deal out of it. All I said was that part kinda irked me. Never said it was the end of the world.
I know that you weren't bashing the game, but you only stated that you wasn't going to buy the game because of your personal preferences. It's okay, but IMO, I would suggest that you at least rent it or give it a try.

*Not trying to persuade you and go back and forth on this, just my opinion.*

# 88 roadman @ 06/16/09 05:34 PM
Quote:
Look, here is the bottom line...

I dont REALLY care about the players-coaches thing. I brought it up because I dont want to see Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Ty Law as coaches in 2020. Not a game killer, but unrealstic and annoying. Randomly generated coaches would be much better IMO.

THat has nothing to do with why I wont buy the game. It just isnt where I think it should be, and if Im going to sink my time and money into a game, it better be up to standards. What I was looking for this year are some fixes in gameplay, presentation and franchise. Presentation, check. Gameplay and franchise, while they are both obviously better, still dont impress me all that much. And yes, you can tell quite a bit from just watching it.

I give EA a TON of credit. Unlike past years when Ive been furious at their lack of effort, I think they did the best they could, but sadly, it just doesnt meet expectations just yet. If it meets other peoples, so be it and I respect that.

I believe the game will be fun and a step in the right direction. But worth $60 and an investment of time...not from what Ive seen, at least not this year.
I would think you might give it a rent, at least. That way, you can form your opinion better than on the net. Small investment for a week and you can return it vs huge investment and let down.(not saying you can't form an opinion by just watching on the net, but for me, I need it in my hands before I let something or someone else decide)

That's just my opinion, though.

# 89 Glenn33 @ 06/16/09 05:35 PM
I love these changes. Really I do. I wasn't expecting a complete overhaul - I just wanted changes that weren't cosmetic...and the team delivered. I am REALLY excited for Madden this year.

# 90 Phobia @ 06/16/09 05:40 PM
I am disgusted with how sad the madden boards are. People over here do nothing but just complain complain complain. Waste of time even coming here reading the post after post after post of just flat out crying over the smallish crap.

In my opinion Franchise looks great by what they are showing and talking about.

He even made a point to say they are working on the FOUNDATION first. So not to expect major changes, just simple fine tunings.

But hey keep on crying guys...............

# 91 ryby6969 @ 06/16/09 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
I am disgusted with how sad the madden boards are. People over here do nothing but just complain complain complain. Waste of time even coming here reading the post after post after post of just flat out crying over the smallish crap.

He even made a point to say they are working on the FOUNDATION first. So not to expect major changes, just simple fine tunings.

+1

# 92 T9R @ 06/16/09 05:44 PM
Quote:

The cynicism comes from the fact that they said they fixed the franchise logic last year too. Remember last year's blog with all the simulated stats?

Now I personally have faith that they actually did kill all the "cockroaches" in the logic this year, which should make franchise playable, but it's getting a little absurd that with so many years development being put into to franchise mode that we still can't do something simple like trade a future draft pick.

# 93 Phobia @ 06/16/09 05:46 PM
Quote:
Its people like you that make these boards "sad".
Me??????????

Dude I have not bought madden since 05 on PC......But I also say constructive criticism. But going on and on about something that was mentioned IN the blog about it being a TUNING year is just pointless.

So while you waste your time and energy posting I will laugh at you.

# 94 ghostlight85 @ 06/16/09 05:46 PM
These boards weren't always like this, were they? At least, it didn't feel like it a few months ago. It felt like there were real conversations about how gaming could and should be. Now there's just whining. And

"ZOMG why cant we has XX feataure. 2k woulda had it by now. ZOMG, IAN = SO SLOW LIKE A TURELT.

GAME KILLERZ, you wont be get my $60"

# 95 idesign2 @ 06/16/09 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
Bart Starr became a Head Coach (Packers)... he was a great player (HOF'er)...

Norm Van Brocklin, Head Coach (Eagles)... great player (HOF'er).

There are probably a lot more stories at the Collegiate level of great College players becoming College Head Coaches though.
Chuck Noll played for 6 years with the Browns.
Tony Dungy played 3 years with the Steelers and 49ers.
Herm Edwards played 10 years in the NFL.
Mike Ditka was a standout TE for the Bears and Cowboys.
Tom Flores played 10 years in the AFL and NFL.

The list goes on and on. The obvious point is that players often go on to become head coaches.

# 96 blklightning @ 06/16/09 05:48 PM
that interface alone is an awesome improvement. i never really found out much about last year's franchise mode because the interface was so uninviting. looks like madden might finally be a year round title this year.

# 97 Deegeezy @ 06/16/09 05:49 PM
Quote:

Who is crying?

What is sad is that people can't post anything negative on this board anymore without being labeled as crying.

We are all buying the game dude and we are all impressed. But the game is far from perfect and there will always be things to critique.

I loved the blog.

But are we really at the point on O.S. that in order to post something negative you have to preface it with everything you liked about something?

# 98 blklightning @ 06/16/09 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlight85
These boards weren't always like this, were they? At least, it didn't feel like it a few months ago. It felt like there were real conversations about how gaming could and should be. Now there's just whining. And

"ZOMG why cant we has XX feataure. 2k woulda had it by now. ZOMG, IAN = SO SLOW LIKE A TURELT.

all your base are belong to me.

lol.

# 99 Broncos86 @ 06/16/09 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlight85

It's because of the communication that EA opened with the community. Suddenly, people gained a false sense of empowerment. What was originally a great bonus to talk to the devs turned into a method of demands. Once you open the channel of communication, and people get over the "new toy" effect that it caused, empowerment kicked in.

# 100 18manning18 @ 06/16/09 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning
that interface alone is an awesome improvement. i never really found out much about last year's franchise mode because the interface was so uninviting. looks like madden might finally be a year round title this year.
Now that you mention it the interface really does make it seem like a completely different experience. It was so bland last year, now it has some life and all the info really is easily accessible. I can't wait, hopefully ncaa is gonna be good so that can hold me for a month.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.