Home
NHL 2K10 News Post

Gamespot has posted their first look at NHL 2K10.

Quote:
"The demo of the game was brief but developers gave us a good sense of what the approach is this year. Since moving development away from the now-defunct Kush and bringing NHL duties to 2K's internal Visual Concepts studio, the focus has been two-fold. Last year, it was simply getting a playable hockey game out the door on a shortened development cycle. While that game was met with lukewarm critical reception, the focus for NHL 2K10's full year development has been to continue to lower the barrier of entry for more casual hockey fans.

With NHL 2K10, opening up the game to more players includes making the game more appealing for multiplayer. As producers put it, they're looking to put the "party" back in multiplayer hockey videogames, adding a sense of fun to the game while focusing on the essentials that will please the true puckheads. A big part of that focus has gone into the game's presentation--there's a new menu system that looks like an improvement from previous years (not that that would be hard--2K Sports in-game menus have been ugly for years). In addition, the game's character models have been tweaked, including more attention on accurate player faces this year."

Game: NHL 2K10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 ohyeahbaby123 @ 06/21/09 07:16 PM
^He really is the 2k police.

# 22 savoie2006 @ 06/21/09 08:08 PM
Quote:
Much like EA, 2k has never been close to being a true simulation of the sport of hockey either.
But, each do certain things right that the other does not. Just since moving to the 360 they have swapped places. EA is the one getting better and better, while 2K has been on a steady decline. I don't pick a favorite publisher, it's who makes the better hockey game overall. NHL2K for the Dreamcast through NHL 2K6 for XBOX/XBOX360, were the best to be had at that time. EA was crap. 07/2K7 were both subpar. NHL08 is when EA officially got my vote again, though I did play my share of 2K8, due to frustrations with 08. I will give 2K10 a shot, but I don't honestly see VC taking EA's title this year, maybe for 2K11.

# 23 Eddie1967 @ 06/21/09 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Have you played a 2k hockey game? Do you watch real hockey? Do you understand what positional play is? The AI on any level above pro gets speed boosts to compensate a challenge. (This isn't new either, its been there since 2k4 at least) Get a breakaway with a speedy foward like Phil Kessel be prepaired to get chased down by a slow Dman like Hal Gill. As for features that were in 2k8 and prior games that are now missing? How about a dedicated board pin button? Yeah thats right, 2k9's board play is pretty much like NHL09's board play. How about line chemestry? Yep thats gone too.

Its amazing to me that you jump all over certain people posting flaws in NHL2k, claiming 2k to be perfect, when those same people are very quick to point out the flaws with EA's game as well. Its really strange that you won't even acknowledge any of the bugs in 2k's title at all. Its like you put your fingers in your ears and hum la la la I can't hear you! Just really odd man. Honestly makes one wonder if you have some sort of agenda.

la la la, lol, that's a good one. Of course 2k has bugs, it's not perfect it just represents the game of hockey better than EA for me. It feels more organic while EA feels scripted. 2K's franchise mode is a disgrace with a game killing bug every year it seems. I never used the board pin button but I still see board play done pretty well in 2k9. I didn't miss the line chemistry option this year, If it's back for 2k10 great, if not well..... The A.I. could always stand to see some improvements but I don't see the speed boosts by the cpu. 2k9 was the best hockey game I have ever played. People will take that to mean that I'm saying it was perfect but that's not it, it is just better than any other hockey game I have played bugs and all. VC did a wonderful job of improving this game in such a short time, meaning one development cycle and I can only see it getting better. What people see in EA besides pretty graphics, I will never understand but hey to each his own.

# 24 Eddie1967 @ 06/21/09 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I'm hard pressed to call 2k9 anything close to sim either. The AI "D" leaves so much to be desired...it has a "hit first" philosophy and consistently goes for the hit and is out of position. This leaves the human player constantly trying to make up for his CPU-controlled teammates. Offensively the CPU likes to try to skate into the middle of the zone and shoot rather than pass or try and set up any offense. And the CPU still has issues in the shootout, something that has been in this series since 2k6 -- despite being "built from the ground up" with 2k9.

Much like EA, 2k has never been close to being a true simulation of the sport of hockey either.
The cpu controlled teammates could use an upgrade in the A.I. department. I disagree about the cpu always skating up the middle and shooting, yes it happens but it also cycles the puck and looks for opportunities to score. 2K9 definitely has flaws but it is much more realistic to me, maybe it's the little things, but to me it just feels more like the NHL. EA feels a bit arcade to me. I hope they both improve because I have no problem spending money on two games of the same sport.

# 25 kai123 @ 06/22/09 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
Couldn't agree more. EA puts out one-dimensional games with limited editing and gameplay options, and their NHL series is the worst of the bunch as far as that goes. Nice to look at, smooth controls, but ultimately a very shallow gaming experience.
Yeah i second what the both of you say. Ea games especially the NBA live and FIFA Series are 1-D. It's a good thing 2k is showing vast improvements because this will force EA to improve more and more. I can't wait to play both games.

# 26 onlybygrace @ 06/22/09 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
LOL, well put.

I'll be passing on NHL 10 this year, at least initially. I'm much more interested in 2K's game, to see if they finally got their act together. In all seriousness, the PS2 version of NHL 2K9 was the best hockey game released this past year. I'm hoping 2K can get back to putting out a product that matches the customization and sim gameplay of their last-gen game.
I bought 2k9 for the ps2 and really liked the flow of play also...but found that my shots were often delayed...not sure if it was the game or my controller.

did you have this issue?

# 27 kai123 @ 06/22/09 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
AI, stick lifts, defensive controls that actually are responsive, and the EASHL. Yep NHL09 is just pretty graphics.

I totally think its very possible 2k10 will make positive strides this year, and could quite possibly be actually worth a full price purchase, for me though it hinges on AI. If 2k10's ai is as bad as NHL2k9's I won't even bother to rent it this year.
All the defensive controls were too effective, especially stick lift and occasional poke check.

# 28 Qb @ 06/23/09 09:50 AM
READ THIS AND TAKE HEED:

I have absolutely no patience for yet another pointless 2K/EA 'debate', and I use the word in the loosest sense. Cut the bull**** -- calling someone a troll, saying they're on a publisher's payroll or the like, repeatedly bringing up negatives about 'game B' when 'game A' is criticized, and repeatedly making the same point over & over -- because it's not going to fly. And "j/k" and/or smilies don't make it OK to insult others...

I don't care which forum this crap happens in, it's not going to be tolerated.

# 29 Qb @ 06/23/09 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorismary
Fair enough so just to make it clear we only talk 2k in the 2k forum and EA in the EA forum likes and dislikes correct ?
Just wanna know the ground rules as I purchase both games each year ?
Thanks
For a simple answer, yes, but simply mentioning "the other game" in a respective forum isn't the problem. The problem is when nothing can be said about one game without someone shooting back with a negative about the other in a seemingly endless cycle. Well, that and the on-going insults (direct or implied) hurled around regarding who's on what side of the fence.

But if we can't discuss what we feel is lacking in one series without constantly putting down the other, then perhaps "we only talk 2k in the 2k forum and EA in the EA forum" will have to suffice...

# 30 jyoung @ 06/23/09 04:20 PM
Who cares what's sim/not-sim, just give me a game that's fun to play.

NHL '94 is still the best-playing hockey game to date IMO, and it's hardly what one would call a "simulation" of the sport.

# 31 original6 @ 06/23/09 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
Who cares what's sim/not-sim, just give me a game that's fun to play.
Good point. I don't think we can ever expect a truly 'sim' game from any game publisher. What we should expect though is one that is fun, challenging, balanced, appeals to the senses, and represents the important aspects of the game. Trying to condense 60 minutes of hockey into 15 to 20 minutes of actual gameplay on a console without sacrificing or omitting some 'sim' aspects is not realistic, IMO.

# 32 onlybygrace @ 06/23/09 07:19 PM
Thats why i love 2k8...fun as hell...sim? uh no...thats virtually impossible.

What I really want to know is who made it the almight precident that these games totally reflect reality?

# 33 Cardot @ 06/24/09 10:10 PM
Quote:
Alot of gamers myself included now I dont wanna see goons score 30 goals but thats why I liked 2k slogan Fun and sim in theory
I am with you guys. People on this site tend to think there are two types of gamers...Hard core sim guys that want games to last 2.5 hours with every nuance of reality....and "casual" gamers that want scores in the teens where players literally catch on fire. I am somewhere in between.

# 34 Eddie1967 @ 06/24/09 10:54 PM
Quote:
Alot of gamers myself included now I dont wanna see goons score 30 goals but thats why I liked 2k slogan Fun and sim in theory
Good point and I agree. 2k is definitely fun and sim too.

# 35 JAYMO76 @ 06/25/09 02:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlybygrace
Thats why i love 2k8...fun as hell...sim? uh no...thats virtually impossible.

What I really want to know is who made it the almight precident that these games totally reflect reality?

Yeah, I found I had the most fun of any hockey game with 2k8. I really want 2k10 to get back to focussing on franchise mode like it did in 2k8.

# 36 texbuk84 @ 06/29/09 01:12 AM
I don't know what the problem is but I think we need to be appreciative of what 2k is bringing to the table man. 2k have been making great sports gms for the longest and honestly we need to give them a break. Have anyone played any EA SPORTS TITLES LATELY!!!! No offense but EA has been putting out alot of crap over the yrs and while 2k have minimal resources, a smaller studio to work with and a smaller fan base, THEY HAVE CONTINUED TO PUSH THE BAR WITH THEIR GMS!!!!! Sometimes things like this upset me when we jump to conclusions before we ever get the chance to play the gm. EA has put 2 quality sports titles in the last 6 yrs Tigerwood Series and Fifa. NHL just came back to its sense with a great showing last yr man and if we look at 2k series, they have been very consistant with putting out bar pushing innovation over the yrs. We need to be thankful that they are doing the right thing( i.e. getting rid of Kush to bring in VC for their gms and we've seen what VC can do i.e, espn 2k5 NBA 2k series, College Hoop series etc....). I read in an article by EA CEO that he stated in an interview that Our shareholders don't give a **** about quality gms, they only care about our share prices and that's who they please!!!!!! 2k is at least giving the gamer the option of having a quality game man. Please learn to appreciate greatness when it's in your midst because it might not always be there for you to enjoy!!

# 37 Eddie1967 @ 06/29/09 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grydnt Vektr211
I don't know what the problem is but I think we need to be appreciative of what 2k is bringing to the table man. 2k have been making great sports gms for the longest and honestly we need to give them a break. Have anyone played any EA SPORTS TITLES LATELY!!!! No offense but EA has been putting out alot of crap over the yrs and while 2k have minimal resources, a smaller studio to work with and a smaller fan base, THEY HAVE CONTINUED TO PUSH THE BAR WITH THEIR GMS!!!!! Sometimes things like this upset me when we jump to conclusions before we ever get the chance to play the gm. EA has put 2 quality sports titles in the last 6 yrs Tigerwood Series and Fifa. NHL just came back to its sense with a great showing last yr man and if we look at 2k series, they have been very consistant with putting out bar pushing innovation over the yrs. We need to be thankful that they are doing the right thing( i.e. getting rid of Kush to bring in VC for their gms and we've seen what VC can do i.e, espn 2k5 NBA 2k series, College Hoop series etc....). I read in an article by EA CEO that he stated in an interview that Our shareholders don't give a **** about quality gms, they only care about our share prices and that's who they please!!!!!! 2k is at least giving the gamer the option of having a quality game man. Please learn to appreciate greatness when it's in your midst because it might not always be there for you to enjoy!!
An outstanding post, which I agree with wholeheartedly. 2K makes the better sports games for my money. I can only imagine what 2k football would be like considering that madden looks like it is still behind 2k5 and APF in many areas. VC is indeed the best and they have proven that with their baseball and hockey games this year. Both made a huge leap from the previous KUSH products. I can't imagine what it would be like if EA had indeed bought out 2k. My video sports gaming days would have been over. I am very thankful and have the utmost confidence that all of the titles will continue to get better. And the less resources is sooooooooo true, and they seem to know how to make a realistic sports game with or without fan input.

# 38 JAYMO76 @ 06/30/09 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie1967
An outstanding post, which I agree with wholeheartedly. 2K makes the better sports games for my money. I can only imagine what 2k football would be like considering that madden looks like it is still behind 2k5 and APF in many areas. VC is indeed the best and they have proven that with their baseball and hockey games this year. Both made a huge leap from the previous KUSH products. I can't imagine what it would be like if EA had indeed bought out 2k. My video sports gaming days would have been over. I am very thankful and have the utmost confidence that all of the titles will continue to get better. And the less resources is sooooooooo true, and they seem to know how to make a realistic sports game with or without fan input.
Hey I agree, dollar for dollar I prefer 2k sports games. BUT... don't be too quick to bash KUSH. With the exception of the dynasty glitches, NHL 2K8 was the best hockey dynasty I have ever played. The depth was amazing. Will VC do the same things with franchise? I don't know. All we hear about is pick-up-and-play... and that's not what I'm looking for. As a gamer I want to get lost in a deep option heavy franchise/dynasty mode. EA won't give this too me... we all know that!

# 39 Eddie1967 @ 06/30/09 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYMO76
Hey I agree, dollar for dollar I prefer 2k sports games. BUT... don't be too quick to bash KUSH. With the exception of the dynasty glitches, NHL 2K8 was the best hockey dynasty I have ever played. The depth was amazing. Will VC do the same things with franchise? I don't know. All we hear about is pick-up-and-play... and that's not what I'm looking for. As a gamer I want to get lost in a deep option heavy franchise/dynasty mode. EA won't give this too me... we all know that!
Yeah I don't to totally dismiss KUSH since I was playing and liking both 2k hockey and baseball long before VC took over. Hopefully they add the things that were in their previous hockey games to 2k10. I didn't get into the dynasty mode at all in 2k10 because of the annoying free agent bug. They can't allow that to happen this year. I really believe 2k10 will improve because of the developers making this a 2 year project. Last year was a bit hollow as far as options.

# 40 Flyermania @ 07/01/09 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie1967
They can't allow that to happen this year. I really believe 2k10 will improve because of the developers making this a 2 year project. Last year was a bit hollow as far as options.
How do you figure it is a two year project? They worked on and released 2k9, and 2k10 will only be 2k9 with whatever changes they have made. It's only one development cycle (as usual).

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.