Home
Madden 2010 News Post

Gameshark has posted a Q&A with the Ian, Josh and Donny, as they talk about Madden NFL 10.

Quote:
Gameshark: "I know that the team is very upfront about wanting player ratings to really matter this year. The fact that you guys chain Donny Moore to a chair and make him rate every player -- is pretty amazing when you think about it. But in terms of gameplay, how will we see a difference in say -- quarterbacks? It's been one of my pet peeves with football games for years: it's terribly hard to tell a difference between the QBs outside of arm strength and running speed. Will a quarterback with lower accuracy actually be off target with more throws?"

Donny: "First off, it is a really comfortable chair. Now to your question.

I think we have captured the strengths and weaknesses of each one of the quarterbacks in the league like never before for Madden NFL 10. No longer is every QB rated 80+ in throw accuracy. We now see guys covering a wider spread, rated anywhere from 50 to 99. This meant totally re-tuning the passing game, but it was something that we felt had to be done.

You can see immediate differences just by taking the Dolphins into practice mode and checking them out. First, we have Chad Pennington. He is rated amongst the best QBs in the game in short and intermediate accuracy. However, he has a sub 75 rated arm (Throw Power), so you do not want to take too many chances deep with Pennington. Throwing the deep out across the field with Chad Pennington = not a bright idea in Madden NFL 10.

Now, sub in the electric backup Pat White. Notice that he is almost like a running back or receiver in terms of quickness and agility. He has a stronger arm than Pennington (low to mid 80’s). So he is capable of making more throws. But you will quickly notice that his accuracy is nowhere near Pennington’s level. White is rated in the low 70’s to low 60’s for accuracy. Finally, sub in 3rd string Chad Henne. He has a laser arm (90+ THP). His accuracy is somewhere in between White and Pennington. Factor all these changes in, and I promise you will feel a significant difference this year. Not just with the Dolphins, but with each and every quarterback in the league."

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Ian_Cummings @ 06/29/09 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_larry
this game is gonna be sweet! so Ian its been a few weeks since i heard from you on these boards, what have you and the team been up to in the office?
Crunch time.

# 42 thmst30 @ 06/29/09 08:33 PM

Holy crap that is insane. I thought it was real at first. I've been to BofA Stadium probably more than 100 times and the realism and attention to detail in this pic is crazy. If you've ever been there you know that this is EXACTLY what the outside of the stadium looks like and EXACTLY what those statues look like. Even the little white signs in the background are authentic with the black stripes. However the one negative thing I will say is that if they got this part to be so damn identical to real life, how come the inside of the stadium is about 4 years out of date. So much missing from the screens and videos we've seen. That being said I still cannot get over how awesome this shot is. Hell I wonder if you can even read my name on one of the plaques?

# 43 PacMan3000 @ 06/29/09 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
Most definitely. Lots of these scenes show fans from the back and they use the name as well - not just the number.
Incredible. Thanks Ian.

# 44 carolina_boi @ 06/30/09 01:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thmst30

Holy crap that is insane. I thought it was real at first. I've been to BofA Stadium probably more than 100 times and the realism and attention to detail in this pic is crazy. If you've ever been there you know that this is EXACTLY what the outside of the stadium looks like and EXACTLY what those statues look like. Even the little white signs in the background are authentic with the black stripes. However the one negative thing I will say is that if they got this part to be so damn identical to real life, how come the inside of the stadium is about 4 years out of date. So much missing from the screens and videos we've seen. That being said I still cannot get over how awesome this shot is. Hell I wonder if you can even read my name on one of the plaques?
haha EXACTLY ! BEAUTIFUL ! Hopefully are stadium will be upgraded to the fullest next year if it doesnt make it this year *which i doubt* but we will see .

# 45 texbuk84 @ 06/30/09 02:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJerz32
Sorry about that mods. He must have made his the same time I was making mine. He won. NO Worries

What about presentation? Ian, you told me at the show that you wanted the stadiums to all feel unique. How are you doing that?
Ian: One of the most common pieces of feedback from the community (and internally from our own time playing the game) was that every Franchise game really felt the same. There was no real sense of a “journey” through the season since every game was presented in a similar fashion. Since we had committed to a huge investment in re-vamping our cut-scenes (and their respective systems), Mike Young, Tavis Kahler, and crew did a bunch of research to pick out some of the most recognizable pieces that you see in various stadiums around the league.
This addition alone in pre-game (and cuts to these types of scenes throughout the game) was a nice way for us to give you (the fan) the feel of each stadium and location being different. We realize that many people skip through pre-game cut-scenes once they see them a few times, so by making every intro feel different it gave people a reason to at least give a second look and keep the game feeling new and fresh.
The most exciting thing for me is that we will be able to keep building on this for the future, since a huge chunk of our time this year was spent actually just getting the tech in place. Expect community polls and wishlist threads soon. (smile)
To add to this, we have all kinds of stadium-specific chants in the game as well – so now you’ll hear the chants that make you feel like you really are in that hostile opposing environment – such as “J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!” and “E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!”

It's about time EA. Finally I can hear the greatest crowd chant in football!

I like I like. Welcome to the bird nest!!!!!!!!

Eagles 12-4 this yr first SB Ring he we come!

We have 3 championship rings does this count!!!

# 46 beefjohnson @ 06/30/09 02:05 AM
knowing my luck I would get tazed by security if I stood on the statue to get my picture taken

# 47 texbuk84 @ 06/30/09 02:07 AM
dudes where are the eagles pictures

# 48 texbuk84 @ 06/30/09 02:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beefjohnson
knowing my luck I would get tazed by security if I stood on the statue to get my picture taken

lol. me too probably. and I'm a black guy too. lol

# 49 43Chargers4Now @ 06/30/09 03:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creed200569
They shouldnt make DQ drop backs automatic. Even in a 5 WR spread you should be able to do a QB sneak if you want to anyway to try and trick the defense plus it gives you total control of the QB. Auto drop backs should only happen if you dont touch anything. Presentation playing the game looks great. Its just the Pregame,halftime,and post game that looks stupid.
The reason they have auto drop backs is because it adds realism to creating the pocket. Auto drop backs make it so the players don't run backwards 20 yards and throw a lob to Randy Moss for a touchdown. Also, it automatically does three, five, and seven step drops which adds so much realism to each individual passing play you do. (Tip: You'll also be able to go through your progressions WHILE the Qb is dropping back)

# 50 beefjohnson @ 06/30/09 03:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel
lol. The only time security is on patrol is when those Falcons fans come to BOA Stadium.

yeah those ATL games draw a crowd..the I-85 rivalry..haha

# 51 Ian_Cummings @ 06/30/09 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickdalewood
When this is all over, I think we should get an apartment together...

Lol, keep up the good work dude... AWESOME stuff.
Just had to give kudos for the excellent Anchorman reference. Well played.

# 52 bababooey76 @ 06/30/09 12:15 PM
I have to say I am really looking forward to the release of the game. I am also not going to get my hopes up given the last two years of Madden but if the game is close to how Ian and crew have described then I think I am finally going to have fun playing Madden again

# 53 C the Lyte @ 06/30/09 12:27 PM
Great read. Can't wait for this to drop.

# 54 splff3000 @ 06/30/09 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Chargers4Now
The reason they have auto drop backs is because it adds realism to creating the pocket. Auto drop backs make it so the players don't run backwards 20 yards and throw a lob to Randy Moss for a touchdown. Also, it automatically does three, five, and seven step drops which adds so much realism to each individual passing play you do. (Tip: You'll also be able to go through your progressions WHILE the Qb is dropping back)
They had auto-drop back in 09 as well. You weren't forced to do it like you will be in 10, but if you didn't press anything after the snap the QB would drop back for you. There was a problem that happened sometimes with that and I hope it's been fixed. The problem was sometimes, when the D is blitzing, the QB took a 1 step drop. That 1 step drop would seriously mess things up, especially if you were looking to go deep before the snap. Most of the time it was totally unexpected and you pretty much got sacked when it happened unless you had some good/quick stick skills. Now that we are forced to let the cpu drop back, I hope this problem has been fixed. It was really a pain in the arse, but there was no reason to complain because I always had the choice of dropping back on my own if I wanted to. Now I don't have that choice, so I hope this problem has been fixed.

# 55 thescoop @ 06/30/09 01:41 PM
One question that has gone an answer is what is the effect of imported draft classes on rookie ratings? Any? I'm curious what it does to the ratings you talked about in this article.

Also, any custom music for stadiums this year? Like Packers playing the working song after a touchdown? That would be awesome.

Thanks, Ian. I'm actually pump for this game. Looks like you guys actual listen to us.

# 56 WolfpackJk @ 06/30/09 02:19 PM
Do any one know if the plays show what drop step you doing? To me that's stupid to have a auto drop back and not know is it's 1 3 5 or 7

# 57 DirtyJerz32 @ 06/30/09 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildthing2022000
The Jets chant was in previous Maddens, it's not new.
Actually it was in last gen Madden's and then never made it to cur gen. I have a 360 & ps3 and have bought Madden on cur gen systems when they came out.

So, thanks for the comment but, those chants neve made the cut to cur gen.

# 58 DirtyJerz32 @ 06/30/09 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boooey
nice.. LOL
Ian has sure become a polished Marketing exec now as well
It wasn't in cur gen last year. Maybe the ps2 & Wii versions but, not cur gen. So, Ian is doing what we have asked him to do.

# 59 DirtyJerz32 @ 06/30/09 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufgators253
The jest chant was wrong if I'm not mistaken. It may not be new but I do remember a thread where tons of jets fans said it didn't sound right. Maybe that's what he was trying to portray with that statement about the chants. could be wrong though.
The J E T S! Jets! Jets! Jets! chant was not in Madden 09 for the ps3 or 360. It was in the ps2 and Wii versions though.

# 60 Jamin23 @ 06/30/09 02:34 PM
I don't remember hearing the e-a-g-l-e-s eagles chant either. I can't wait to hear it this year.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.