Home
News Post

EA REVEALS FIRST DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT PLANS FOR FIGHT NIGHT ROUND 4

Free New Game Content Coming by Early August; Button Controls Included In Additional Summer Update

July 7, 2009 – Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) announced today its initial Downloadable Content (DLC) plan for Fight Night Round 4. Recently named the Game Critic Awards “Best Sports Game of E3 2009”, Fight Night Round 4 has been winning over reviewers since its release on June 23rd.

The first DLC pack, which will be available for free to both Xbox 360® and Playstation®3 users by early August, will include a new training gym, new gameplay sliders, as well as a host of new equipment that can be used for outfitting boxers. Xbox 360 users will also receive an exclusive alternate version of Sugar Ray Leonard in their first DLC pack, courtesy of Pizza Hut.

EA SPORTS™ will also be releasing a free downloadable game update by early September that will allow gamers to use face buttons on the Xbox 360 and PS3 game controllers to throw punches, hooks, uppercuts and haymakers.

“The depth and variety of new content we have planned this summer is going to make one of the most critically acclaimed games on the market even better,” said senior producer, Dean Richards. “Among the new content in development, our new button control scheme will give fans a choice for how they want to throw punches in the game. We strongly believe that the refined Total Punch Control is the most intuitive way to throw punches in Fight Night Round 4, but we also want fans of the franchise to have an option.”

Fight Night Round 4 is currently available for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and Xbox 360® video game system from Microsoft. This game has been rated T for Teen by the ESRB, and 16+ by PEGI. For more information, log onto http://fightnight.easports.com.

Fight Night Round 4 screenshot gallery - Click to view Fight Night Round 4 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Fight Night Round 4Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
Fight Night Round 4 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 teambayern @ 07/07/09 08:07 PM
Just got this game tonight, so hopefully I'll be on Live with it soon. Hope when this patch drops they sort the lobbies to allow for stick only (or make it the default for ranked). Everyone should be on the same page.

# 22 parker002 @ 07/07/09 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teambayern
Just got this game tonight, so hopefully I'll be on Live with it soon. Hope when this patch drops they sort the lobbies to allow for stick only (or make it the default for ranked). Everyone should be on the same page.
I'm guessing they've considered this before deciding to add buttons.

Then again, it is EA.

# 23 acarrero @ 07/07/09 08:33 PM
Good news, though disappointing that there's no news of new boxers. I wonder if they will ever release new licensed boxers for this game. Seems like it might be difficult to sign a new fighter to be released as an add-on, and the boxershare features a pretty good library of fighters that stack up pretty well with some of the licensed ones.

As to the new botton controls, I'll assume you can't use them online. It would suck if online gets filled with button mashers. There is a big difference between mashing a stick and buttons - for hooks and uppercuts, it's hard to throw the same punch over and over again quickly wth the stick. With buttons you just press the button that corresponds to the hook or uppercut and no problem. Makes it too easy to throw punches, when in reality it's hard to throw back to back hooks with that speed. The buttons must be banned from online!

# 24 Complex @ 07/07/09 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelwig14
I assume, but it is EA, that the sliders dlc will be fatigue based.

Disappointed that there isn't any info on more DLC fighters.
agreed

# 25 vision @ 07/07/09 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by acarrero
Good news, though disappointing that there's no news of new boxers. I wonder if they will ever release new licensed boxers for this game. Seems like it might be difficult to sign a new fighter to be released as an add-on, and the boxershare features a pretty good library of fighters that stack up pretty well with some of the licensed ones.

As to the new botton controls, I'll assume you can't use them online. It would suck if online gets filled with button mashers. There is a big difference between mashing a stick and buttons - for hooks and uppercuts, it's hard to throw the same punch over and over again quickly wth the stick. With buttons you just press the button that corresponds to the hook or uppercut and no problem. Makes it too easy to throw punches, when in reality it's hard to throw back to back hooks with that speed. The buttons must be banned from online!
Na, just have separate rooms for button users online. End of story. It's only been recommended 24,159,697,978 times.

# 26 DaveDQ @ 07/07/09 08:58 PM
I'm happy about the sliders, but they won't have an effect online. Factor in the buttons for punches and online will simply be a mess. They have to fix the stamina via a patch.

# 27 BOSsTOwN @ 07/07/09 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by acarrero

Question, if I'm controlling a world class boxer why shouldn't it be easy to throw a punch.

# 28 HotSauce2k3 @ 07/07/09 09:43 PM
Button/Stick-mashers shouldn't be a problem as long as they address the real issue for online fights-STAMINA.

# 29 TreyIM2 @ 07/07/09 10:01 PM
acarrero - I feel u a little on the DLC for new boxers. What I find strange is that De La Hoya is in the commercials for FN4 and done promotional things for FN4 but he's not in the game. I was thinking that he and others would be added in time.

As for this DLC, overall, I don't like to play games online with random people because of the lack of maturity levels in MANY gamers and that being said, I am completely happy with TPC. It's just a challenge to get discipline in pushing the stick correctly to get the correlating punch u want.

The patches are cool for the sliders but they need to patch the TPC. Sometimes, there is NO response to my right analog movement when punching. I noticed it in the demo but didn't think it would still be in the final code. It's rare but still can be annoying especially when the opponent is WIDE open after whiffing a punch and u move the stick but your guy just stands there.
Anyway, I LOVE this damn game.

# 30 stizz @ 07/07/09 10:32 PM
I wonder how you will clinch.

# 31 LingeringRegime @ 07/07/09 10:35 PM
LOL at the buttons DLC. Now people will be forced to pay money to be able to push buttons.

Just give me everything else in the DLC except that and I will be straight.

# 32 parker002 @ 07/07/09 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFTFUNDAMENTALZ
LOL at the buttons DLC. Now people will be forced to pay money to be able to push buttons.

Just give me everything else in the DLC except that and I will be straight.
Both announced downloads will be free.

# 33 parker002 @ 07/07/09 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stizz
With a trigger or shoulder button modifier most likely.

# 34 jvalverde88 @ 07/07/09 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stizz
Would have to be up on the D-Pad, that's how it was in FN3.

# 35 LingeringRegime @ 07/07/09 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by parker002
Both announced downloads will be free.
Wow, missed that. Thanks man.

# 36 parker002 @ 07/07/09 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalverde88
Would have to be up on the D-Pad, that's how it was in FN3.
Yeah, I forgot that the d-pad is not currently in use.

# 37 65South @ 07/07/09 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA Sports Inside Blog, Mahar Q&A
We didn’t want to put them in the game without extensive testing and tuning to ensure we avoided the mistakes of FIGHT NIGHT Round 3 where some users perceived there to be an advantage to using buttons versus theTotal Punch Control. It took some time, but we’ve accomplished that goal.

In FIGHT NIGHT Round 4 it is just as easy to throw fast punches and combos with TPC as it is with the buttons. Gamers will not notice any difference or advantage versus the AI or playing against users online.
Don't know how they plan to pull that off. I guess I'll believe it when I see it.

# 38 jvalverde88 @ 07/07/09 10:42 PM
I'm a little disappointed that I have to wait for the buttons but it still won't prevent me from enjoying the game. As for the sliders, really digging that. The main bummer for me is no new fighters via DLC(except Sugar Ray Leonard) and the wait for the buttons, don't understand why they didn't release the buttons with the sliders.

# 39 DLaren @ 07/07/09 11:12 PM
Thank you EA Team for listening and acting on our requests.

While I don't have a problem with TCP, there are still times when I try to throw a left hook and end-up throwing an uppercut because I didn't exaggerate the stick enough in the heat-of-the-moment. So when the button-config arrives, I will definetely make the switch.

I too would have liked to see more boxers added to the roster via DLC, but I understand that we have been given the tools to create/download our own fighters, so I'm not surprised that the Fight-Night team put extra-boxers on the backburner for awhile. All I ask in this regard is to have more CAB slots. I've already downloaded the maximum of 40 boxers and there are still more boxers I would like to have.

More CAB slots please! And thanks again...

# 40 shavane @ 07/07/09 11:17 PM
Know this TPCers...I'm coming see you chumps in September

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.