Home
NBA 2K10 News Post

Joystiq has the scoop.

Quote:
"2K Games is opening up a very dangerous door, apparently, as a source close to Joystiq has passed along info on the company's new game for PSN and XBLA, called NBA 2K10: Draft Combine. Set to release alongside NBA 2K10, the spinoff game will allow players to take potential draftees through a rigorous training routine, boosting their stats before being drafted into the retail game.

We call it a "dangerous door," because, frankly, it is. Many criticize sports titles for offering little variety or improvements in each yearly iteration, and Draft Combine sounds like it could be a way to milk sports fans for even more dough. Of course, not knowing further details about the rumored game, this is just speculation, and should be taken as such."

Game: NBA 2K10Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 74 - View All
NBA 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Hassan Darkside @ 07/08/09 04:55 PM
Frankly, as long as it's not expensive, I don't mind. I'm guessing it'll be about $5-10. I have 1200 MS points right now that I got from doing a promotion just sitting around, so I'd shell out the points without thinking. I'm a big association guy myself.

And I remember Simballer saying "I got you guys" when we were discussing editing the prospects and passing around the spreadsheet. But yea, it is kinda frustrating that it isn't in the game though, but what's in there better make up for it.

I'll understand completely if this is good enough to be considered a separate game (game mode?) rather than a "lost" part of association.

# 42 orrkl2002 @ 07/08/09 06:53 PM
Im hype for it honestly, I think this is the best way to give the college hoops heads the next best thing especially if they have 2k share on there for the roster makers. I wouldnt mind playing the summer league games and doing the workouts for all the good college prospects. At least their trying to give us longevity with NBA2k10 to actually play through a season and then add the real rookies and play the following season too.

# 43 kenzil @ 07/08/09 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsolidus
How about this, they make a game where you play as the draft prospect through his college season, making his skills better by playing good in the season and getting drafted into the NBA.

Oh I'm sorry they already had this game College Hoops but cancelled it. I hate stupid CEO's that sign off on this crap.
so true...

# 44 JBH3 @ 07/08/09 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBH3
I've got no problem purchasing this if once details are out it's something that interests me.

I assume that given the precious amount of space on a 360 DVD disc that some stuff gets cut on the chopping block of what they can add etc.

Maybe adding this idea on disc wasn't manageable given space limitations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican
The franchise freaks don't appreciate it not already being part of the game that is being shipped. THAT is why the franchise freaks are bothered
I'm a franchise freak...

# 45 luv_mist @ 07/08/09 11:06 PM
I would also say I'm a franchise freak too. I'm still torn about this whole thing. I want the depth but I want to NOT be screwed because they decided to add a feature but get paid a little more for it. It's been since I could remember that I wanted to have more depth in my season/Association mode. Every year it was a "maybe next year" feel that I always hated. I just hope that whatever they DID add to the Association is so great that this isn't even needed but could be used.

I could really see more college hoops freaks getting into it and tossing great draft classes for us. I'd also wonder if we could delegate between what number a player "should" go. That would be sweet. So far, from the rumor, we know that their are draft events they're doing right? I hope more surfaces on this soon.......

# 46 nosaints26 @ 07/09/09 12:23 AM
I'd really just rather them improve the draft presentation and the workouts instead of having a type of 'superstar' mode as rumored. As well as some hand-made prospects and more editing power (i.e. weights, appearance).

Maybe they could create gyms and put your team's coaches and scouts on the sidelines and have the prospects of your choosing visit, like such:

Then, as coach, or GM, you could not only watch (or control, whatever you'd like) the players, but also ask them certain questions that would clue you into their personalities, skills etc. You could schedule shoot arounds, layup drills, 2 on 2 etc with that group you bring in. Just a little something to add to the presentation of the process.

# 47 LilRick110 @ 07/09/09 04:05 AM
If true i kinda hope it is a little like Superstar mode on Madden, but kinda not. It sounds like a good building block, especially since they won't be able to use the NCAA license for a several years now.

# 48 Hassan Darkside @ 07/09/09 09:27 AM
I think they probably could have got a pass if they weren't trying to release it side-by-side with 2k10. If it was more of an idea and didn't get executed until a couple months after release, I don't think there'd be as much of a fuss. As it is right now, it almost looks like something that should be in the game but they're purposely excluding to make a few extra dollars.

I mean dang, it was inevitable that sports games would go this route. Every other game does. I don't think this is any more ridiculous than paying $5 or $10 for a few new maps for a game like Halo.

# 49 DaoudS @ 07/09/09 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruff Ryder
I think they probably could have got a pass if they weren't trying to release it side-by-side with 2k10. If it was more of an idea and didn't get executed until a couple months after release, I don't think there'd be as much of a fuss. As it is right now, it almost looks like something that should be in the game but they're purposely excluding to make a few extra dollars.

I mean dang, it was inevitable that sports games would go this route. Every other game does. I don't think this is any more ridiculous than paying $5 or $10 for a few new maps for a game like Halo.
+1. This is just the new grimy business of video games. This obviously should be included in the game. Let's be honest - the last few years of NBA 2K games have not had anything in terms of a new mode. It has just been the same modes with a different paint scheme. For them to charge users for this...

# 50 Kully @ 07/09/09 12:26 PM
I'm gonna wait and see if/how much they charge first. We know next to nothing about this mode actually lol.

# 51 NuclearPalsy @ 07/09/09 03:10 PM
You must not remember them charging us to download 2k Reelmaker for 2k8... What a waste of money!

# 52 luv_mist @ 07/09/09 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearPalsy
You must not remember them charging us to download 2k Reelmaker for 2k8... What a waste of money!
They learned the next year by getting someone to "sponsor" it for use. Just wait and see. If it's not your cup of tea, then just hold out on downloading it.

# 53 DaoudS @ 07/09/09 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_mist
They learned the next year by getting someone to "sponsor" it for use. Just wait and see. If it's not your cup of tea, then just hold out on downloading it.
its not a matter of holding out on downloading it - its a matter of principle. Are we close to the days where we have to pay for roster updates? Patches? Tickers at the bottom of the screen? Once a flood gate like this is opening, it won't stop. Before we know it, we'll be coughing up $100+ for a game that should be priced at the maximum $60

# 54 luv_mist @ 07/10/09 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaoudS
its not a matter of holding out on downloading it - its a matter of principle. Are we close to the days where we have to pay for roster updates? Patches? Tickers at the bottom of the screen? Once a flood gate like this is opening, it won't stop. Before we know it, we'll be coughing up $100+ for a game that should be priced at the maximum $60
Know the best way to tell the developer to shove it, HOLD YOUR MONEY!! Don't buy the crap. I'm sure that roster updates won't be charged. We won't get charged for tickers. Patches either. We're in a day and age where the consumer is more sensible with their cash flow. I won't go defending 2K because I'm not them. I'm very wise enough to know that they're not THAT dumb. In all honesty, they're tweaking gameplay, updating rosters, fooling a little with adding/subtracting in the Association, and adding a few bells and whistles. This rumored add-on is honestly not taking away from the game. It's a take it or leave it. I'll leave it alone until I see a reason to add more cash to my account. If it's what I think it is, then I'm all for it.

Heck, I'm still waiting for a Head Coach NBA title from either company to go alongside my NBA game with cross-compatibility and extensive options. I'd pay a pretty penny for that. I want to have the depth. As long as they're not taking away from the experience so far, then I'm a fan. My supporting them with this add-on would be my admission that I'd pay more for more of a all-around game that I feel they're lacking. I'd support a few more developers to sit around and put out some nice codes for me to feel a few more hours of gameplay. Of course, it's not out yet so I'll hold my final judgment. I'm still geeked about the possibilities though.

# 55 BOSsTOwN @ 07/10/09 10:38 AM
I call bull****

# 56 Tha_Kid @ 07/11/09 04:04 AM
I show my disdain for gouging by not buying it.

And that DLC = NCAA is a horrid comparison. Impressive that it got a co-sign.

# 57 Gabeking17 @ 07/11/09 10:16 AM
First thing; look again at the title of this thread and say out loud the words. "RU-MOR, RUMOR" Secondly, if this rumor does become fact and is correct in it's allegations then you do not have to buy it! It will be something that the hardcore gamers and NBA fans could buy to increase their enjoyment. I have heard people complain about 2k doing this solely for the money... everything they do is for the money!!

Personally I would use this feature because after a while a sports game can become boring, and also because I am a hardcore sim gamer.

# 58 Whaaaazuuuuup @ 07/13/09 03:57 AM
i think this is a way for 2k to get a vibe on this feature...

« Previous 123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.