Home
NHL 2K10 News Post

NHL 2K10 redefines the sports gaming experience with a new emphasis on social gaming. Whether you're a die-hard NHL fan or a casual player, NHL 2K10's pick-up-and-play controls, true-to-life authenticity and variety of on- and off-line multiplayer modes promise hours of entertainment for any gamer. Among the new features that will make this the must-have hockey game of the season include:

New Gameplay Mechanics - Completely rewritten AI, enhanced defensive controls and stick lifts, stumble shots, a new defensive skating model and new incidental contact and small animation systems

Enhanced Presentation - All-new rink intros for each arena, improved goal celebrations, enhanced visuals, and greatly improved, true-to-life character models, with San Jose Sharks commentators Randy Hahn and Drew Remenda returning with new broadcast commentary

Improved Franchise Mode - NHL 2K10 features a new contract/free agency system, improved roster management, an updated financial model, dynamic player progression, and fantasy drafts

New Franchise Co-op Play - Play a franchise season game with or against a friend on- or offline, or play a traditional game against the CPU

Franchise Blog / 2KSports.com Integration - Publish your franchise stats and standings, and upload game highlights and screenshots to your personal page at 2KSports.com

Enhanced Online Modes - New seamless online integration connects players in Team Up games, tracks your progress with My Player Card, and offers full league, leaderboard, tournament and 2K Share support

Create Team Mode - Create a persistent team with friends by designing your uniforms, developing a unique team identity, and then competing against other created teams online, offline and in Franchise mode

Wii SPECIFIC FEATURES:

New Control Scheme - Choose between fun, easy-to-use Wii Remote and Nunchuk controls and Sideways Wii Remote support, or plug in a Wii Classic Controller for three ways to play

Full Online Modes - For the first time, enjoy full online support for Wii, including multiplayer and multi-console match-ups, downloadable rosters, online leagues, tournaments, leaderboards and Team Up mode featuring persistant created teams and regular Pick-Up Games

WiiMotion Plus and WiiSpeak Support - Enjoy online voice chat capabilities via WiiSpeak and precise one-to-one control with WiiMotion Plus

NHL 2K10 launches on September 15th for Wii(TM) system, Xbox 360(TM) video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, and PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system.

For more details visit http://www.2ksports.com/games/nhl2k10.

NHL 2K10 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 2K10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NHL 2K10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 savoie2006 @ 07/27/09 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Guess what, I'm going to make an on-topic post -- if I could ever get my friend online, we could relive the good ol' days of bachelorhood by playing a co-op season. Nice addition...

# 62 savoie2006 @ 07/27/09 01:10 PM
Supposedly all features, except those exclusively for the Wii, apply to all consoles.

# 63 savoie2006 @ 07/27/09 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
If I sold you a new car each year knowing full-well that the odometer was broken, the gas tank leaked and the brakes always seized up, would I deserve a bad rap or not? This is not a tough question, really.
No. If I continue to buy a product knowing there is a history of problems it's my own undoing. That doesn't make it right to sell half a** merchandise, but really the consumer needs to be more educated on what they are buying before wasting their money.

Truth of the matter is though, cars and sports video games are two completely different things. Being that most all software is going to have glitches and bugs. They may not be as bad as sports games often have, but they are still there. Sports video games have a short development cylce compared to most games as well. When you take into consideration of all the wants from us gamers, it can't be easy to pull off.

What is lacking though is the support for such glitches and bugs. EA was solid with this last year with their hockey game, 2K offered none. Part of this could be due to budget and or man power, but hopefully it's there this year. In any case, being that VC just took the reigns with 2K9, they get a pass from me. 2K10 is where their judgement officially begins.

# 64 Eddie1967 @ 07/27/09 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDeicide
Underneath the badly implemented controls and the quirky animations and the mediocre player models there is a really awesome game of hockey to be had with 2k9, i still play it every day and every game still has a reelmaker moment in it, in fact i took one from my last 4 games and uploaded them so i could post them here just to show some people what it can be like only to find my gamertag 2k link thingymagig is all screwed up which is why i wasnt able to play in an online league also.

I think 2k10 is going to be a rally great game for me as i love 2k9 still.
I really liked 09 as well but for season play 2k cant be beat in my book, every game was/is different even down to the speed at some arenas its almost as if the ice is quicker in some arenas but it may be due to fatigue , dont care tho it all adds up to a great time. Im on my 8th season.
Ive only made the playoffs once with my kings and that was because i simmed to them lol.

Just wanted to show some support for 2k as they are getting a bad wrap i feel.
So true. It's a complete game IMHO. It has a lot to offer and besides the gameplay it has a lot of the bells and whistles to keep you playing for a long time. Like you I am still playing 2k9.

# 65 Eddie1967 @ 07/27/09 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
No. If I continue to buy a product knowing there is a history of problems it's my own undoing. That doesn't make it right to sell half a** merchandise, but really the consumer needs to be more educated on what they are buying before wasting their money.

Truth of the matter is though, cars and sports video games are two completely different things. Being that most all software is going to have glitches and bugs. They may not be as bad as sports games often have, but they are still there. Sports video games have a short development cylce compared to most games as well. When you take into consideration of all the wants from us gamers, it can't be easy to pull off.

What is lacking though is the support for such glitches and bugs. EA was solid with this last year with their hockey game, 2K offered none. Part of this could be due to budget and or man power, but hopefully it's there this year. In any case, being that VC just took the reigns with 2K9, they get a pass from me. 2K10 is where their judgement officially begins.
That is one area for me that I feel 2k needs to step up big time, well come to think of it they need to step up period. If there is a bug in the dynasty or franchise mode etc.(as there have been for the last few years) they need to patch it like they do with their other games. The patches did a lot for MLB 2K9. I agree a lot of it might have to do budget as far as how much attention they are able to give to their games. I can't imagine them purposely ignoring the free agent bug from last year. But since this is ONLY VC's second year with hockey I'm am willing to give them a pass. They said themselves it was 2 year project so that's good enough for me.

# 66 Eddie1967 @ 07/27/09 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorismary
Hi Eddie,
I really enjoy reading your and Scotts honest impressions of NHL2k10 .
I hope Scott gets the real Shark tank experience but can you tell me what excites you most about 2k10 .
If true im impressed by legit player behavior something that was really lacking in the other game .
I'm excited by the player models. They look like they have received a major upgrade. I'm with Scott as far as the goal celebrations, etc. I'm also looking forward to team specific introductions.

# 67 Eddie1967 @ 07/27/09 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
That is what is sick. If it has the real Arens specifics even better, but if they don't as long as they make each one different that is all I want. They change these things in real life so much. But if 2k10 can make each arena different then I will be very happy.
I would like to see the real time atmosphere that they have in MLB incorporated into NHL 2K10. For instance, when a fight happens have the players on the bench and on the ice react like they really would in a game and have the players recover after the fight by fixing their uniforms and show their teammate bring them there sticks and gloves, elbow pads, etc. to the penalty box. I hate seeing the players just pop up after a fight and having their gloves and sticks just magically reappear. I know it's silly but I like detail like that.

# 68 CarryTheWeight @ 07/27/09 07:19 PM
I'm going to be honest with you and say that I've equally played both games for the past two years (I was a 2K-only gamer from 2K3-2K6, an EA-only gamer in 07 and played both games almost equally in the 2008 and 2009 seasons). 2010 shouldn't be any different since both games have seemed to have made enough improvements in needed areas.

With that being said, I liked both games last year. Both had strengths and weaknesses. No one game was inferior or superior to the other IMO. In fact, if you combined 09 and 2K9 you'd probably get the best hockey game ever made. I don't see what people say on these forums and on other sites about 2K9 being "the inferior game" because it played (IMO) an entirely different brand of hockey with many things that EA neglected or ignored in their title.

2K9 was no NHL Rivals 2004 (what I think is the worst hockey game I've ever played). I thought the game played a fairly realistic game of hockey despite its quirks. But both games had a great year last year and despite the flaws I think 2K10 will be just fine this year. Hearing people complaining about why we aren't getting "NHL 09 from 2K Sports" is silly and just ridiculous if you ask me, because both games offer two distinct experiences that are great alternatives to one another. If 09 gets stale for me, I'd play 2K9 for a while and then go back when the experience started wearing off.

Honestly, I'd like two good hockey games every year. Those who say either game is horrid just doesn't know what hockey gaming should be. I, on the other hand, feel fortunate enough that we've had two great games on the market. Because I'd give my left arm for that same kind of competition in the football, baseball and college sports markets.

# 69 Eddie1967 @ 07/27/09 07:21 PM
Quote:
Wow Eddie you are a lot like me! I love all those little things too.
Yeah, the little things holds my attention. Sure game play is important but I already feel challenged in NHL2K9, although the rewritten A.I. is welcome news as it can only make the game better.
That's why I loved MLB2K9. The real time atmosphere bought that stale series to life.

# 70 Eddie1967 @ 07/27/09 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryTheWeight
I'm going to be honest with you and say that I've equally played both games for the past two years (I was a 2K-only gamer from 2K3-2K6, an EA-only gamer in 07 and played both games almost equally in the 2008 and 2009 seasons). 2010 shouldn't be any different since both games have seemed to have made enough improvements in needed areas.

With that being said, I liked both games last year. Both had strengths and weaknesses. No one game was inferior or superior to the other IMO. In fact, if you combined 09 and 2K9 you'd probably get the best hockey game ever made. I don't see what people say on these forums and on other sites about 2K9 being "the inferior game" because it played (IMO) an entirely different brand of hockey with many things that EA neglected or ignored in their title.

2K9 was no NHL Rivals 2004 (what I think is the worst hockey game I've ever played). I thought the game played a fairly realistic game of hockey despite its quirks. But both games had a great year last year and despite the flaws I think 2K10 will be just fine this year. Hearing people complaining about why we aren't getting "NHL 09 from 2K Sports" is silly and just ridiculous if you ask me, because both games offer two distinct experiences that are great alternatives to one another. If 09 gets stale for me, I'd play 2K9 for a while and then go back when the experience started wearing off.

Honestly, I'd like two good hockey games every year. Those who say either game is horrid just doesn't know what hockey gaming should be. I, on the other hand, feel fortunate enough that we've had two great games on the market. Because I'd give my left arm for that same kind of competition in the football, baseball and college sports markets.
Great post. I would love to be forced to buy two hockey games this year. I plan on giving NHL 10 more of a chance this year myself.

# 71 Eddie1967 @ 07/27/09 07:31 PM
Quote:
I just hope it is better AI for Realm and some others. I feel their pain even though I can't relate. I am still learning the sport. It has become my favorite sport though. But to get back on track I hope they have a vid this week. I am pumped about the better graphics.
I have a feeling we will be blown away when the videos are released. I can't wait. I too hope realm and the others get what they want in this game. They see things with a more critical eye than you or I when it comes to A.I.

# 72 Eddie1967 @ 07/27/09 09:09 PM
Quote:
But then you'd have to use your nose or feet to play them. I don't see that as a reasonable tradeoff. Give me crappy games and two hands for my controller!
Only Baa, lol.

# 73 CarryTheWeight @ 07/27/09 09:41 PM
Quote:
But then you'd have to use your nose or feet to play them. I don't see that as a reasonable tradeoff. Give me crappy games and two hands for my controller!
I take that back. The left leg may work a bit better...

# 74 TracerBullet @ 07/28/09 05:22 AM
Reading posts in this forum makes me so much less frustrated than reading the football forums. So much hate and anger over there. They could learn something from you guys. Like how to type actual sentences.

Anyway, I'm not the biggest hockey fans, but I do enjoy the sport. I'd probably like it a lot more if I lived in an area where it was a prominent sport. Unfortunately I live in WA and you never really hear about it. I'm hoping that both games are great this year. I bought NHL 09 last year but I give both at least a rental. It's weird though, I enjoy playing 2k hockey with friends and EA hockey by myself. I like the visual improvements to 2k10 from the previous years. Like I said I hope they are both great.

Oh and amen to whoever it was that said they just want a game that's fun even if its not 100% sim. I wish more people were like that. I'm sure they would have more fun with sports games.

# 75 Mikey88 @ 07/28/09 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufgators253
Reading posts in this forum makes me so much less frustrated than reading the football forums. So much hate and anger over there. They could learn something from you guys. Like how to type actual sentences.

Anyway, I'm not the biggest hockey fans, but I do enjoy the sport. I'd probably like it a lot more if I lived in an area where it was a prominent sport. Unfortunately I live in WA and you never really hear about it. I'm hoping that both games are great this year. I bought NHL 09 last year but I give both at least a rental. It's weird though, I enjoy playing 2k hockey with friends and EA hockey by myself. I like the visual improvements to 2k10 from the previous years. Like I said I hope they are both great.

Oh and amen to whoever it was that said they just want a game that's fun even if its not 100% sim. I wish more people were like that. I'm sure they would have more fun with sports games.
Great post, ufgators253. I think for the most part, people want a fun game but when it comes to major league sports gaming they want autheniticity. Hockey video gaming and gaming in general has come so far so fast that it's hard to accept sub-par AI, weak player models, skating engine etc that NHL2K9 was guilty of. It looks like they've come full-cricle though, 2K10 is looking great! NHL09 on the other hand was a decent sim, and was very fun to play and it looks like NHL10 will be even better. I cant wait for these games to be released!
BTW, i always wondered why there isn't an NHL team in Seattle, you think it could work?

# 76 TracerBullet @ 07/28/09 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey88
Great post, ufgators253. I think for the most part, people want a fun game but when it comes to major league sports gaming they want autheniticity. Hockey video gaming and gaming in general has come so far so fast that it's hard to accept sub-par AI, weak player models, skating engine etc that NHL2K9 was guilty of. It looks like they've come full-cricle though, 2K10 is looking great! NHL09 on the other hand was a decent sim, and was very fun to play and it looks like NHL10 will be even better. I cant wait for these games to be released!
BTW, i always wondered why there isn't an NHL team in Seattle, you think it could work?
Oh I agree with a game still needing good A.I. at least. It has to be somewhat challenging and make you earn a win. It also shouldn't force you to lose a game though. But it is looking good so far this year.

But I think it could. We have had a minor league hockey team up here for years. The city also talked about attracting one after the Sonics left but there hasn't been much about it since. I think our fans could get behind supporting them. I know I would seeing as my two favorite teams are in the east (Montreal and Philedelphia).

# 77 savoie2006 @ 07/28/09 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgalv
some of you 2k guys should just permanently tape a "kick me" sign on your back.

there is absolutely no reason to be excited. you're just going to end up eating the manure that's being piled your way for another year.
If that's how you see it, fine. If we want to be excited about the game sounding and looking better than 2K9 so be it. You don't have to try to ruin it for everyone. Videos and more features are coming. Think about the excitement then. Bye bye now.

# 78 CarryTheWeight @ 07/28/09 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgalv
there is absolutely no reason to be excited. you're just going to end up eating the manure that's being piled your way for another year.
Here we go again...maybe there isn't a reason for you to be excited, but many posters around here want two great hockey titles and are optimistic that both franchises will deliver this year. This "2K is inferior" banter makes no sense to me, as I've said earlier. Both games have their advantages and disadvantages...those who can't see that are drinking a ton of kool-aid.

# 79 savoie2006 @ 07/28/09 07:06 PM
It just baffles me that people assume that NHL2K10 will suck. Ok, 2K has had a few less than stellar years, it happens. VC took over last year and put out the foundation for the series they want to rebuild. This year, it appears they are building nicely onto that. Will it be perfect? Of course not, but I'm positive it will be much improved. If EA can bring their hockey series from the dumps to glory, I see no reason that VC can't repeat the task. Given their stellar history with sports games and all.

# 80 Eddie1967 @ 07/28/09 09:34 PM
Another troll who is mad because people like a game that he hates. Mindless noise at it's finest.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.