Home
NHL 2K10 News Post

Gamespot has posted a new teaser trailer from NHL 2K10.

Game: NHL 2K10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Eddie1967 @ 07/31/09 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
To me it all comes down to "the little things" I think that is why I like this game.
Me too, introductions, specific arenas, crowd sounds, animations, grabbing pucks out of the air, the fighting engine, etc. Without these things I wouldn't be much of a fan. The word fun throws some people off but it really is a good way of making the game better.

# 62 Eddie1967 @ 07/31/09 07:57 PM
Quote:
Don't forget about the Faceoffs. I love that. It makes the game come alive.
Yes another thing that is done very well.

# 63 Money99 @ 07/31/09 07:58 PM
I don't want to derail this thread but I think the reason why some are 'flaming' 2K is because they teased with some very quality games back in the day but then took the series in a different direction.
I often harp on how great 2K3 was and how after Treyarch was removed from the picture the series really didn't improve like I wanted it to.
2K3 had it's issues but it was a darn good hockey game featuring some of the best AI ever seen. I, like many, felt that the series could only go up based on the terrific building blocks that 2K3 cemented.
So when 2K4 came out, it was a terrible disappointment. And from then on, the series stumbled and tripped getting some things right and others wrong.

So now here we are in 2009 hoping that 2K finally has gotten the ship righted. We're hoping that for the first time in a long time the game won't have numerous bugs, or have player models that don't look last-gen, or AI that is at minimum 50% as good as a 2K3 - a game that's nearly 7 years old.

At the same time, we see a company like EA, which seemed to do nothing but disappoint, get their heads out of their butts and renew the series big time with the introduction of the new consoles. We hoped that 2K could do the same.

Anyway, that was more long winded than I hoped.
I know that some here are harsh on 2K but there are reasons. Just like I know that some of 2K's biggest critics will be the first to lay down cash if 2K10 is a good hockey game.
I know I'm really anticipating 2K10 and I think it has terrific potential in VC's hands.

I can't wait for next Friday when we'll see more gameplay info and possibly videos.

# 64 Eddie1967 @ 07/31/09 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
I don't want to derail this thread but I think the reason why some are 'flaming' 2K is because they teased with some very quality games back in the day but then took the series in a different direction.
I often harp on how great 2K3 was and how after Treyarch was removed from the picture the series really didn't improve like I wanted it to.
2K3 had it's issues but it was a darn good hockey game featuring some of the best AI ever seen. I, like many, felt that the series could only go up based on the terrific building blocks that 2K3 cemented.
So when 2K4 came out, it was a terrible disappointment. And from then on, the series stumbled and tripped getting some things right and others wrong.

So now here we are in 2009 hoping that 2K finally has gotten the ship righted. We're hoping that for the first time in a long time the game won't have numerous bugs, or have player models that don't look last-gen, or AI that is at minimum 50% as good as a 2K3 - a game that's nearly 7 years old.

At the same time, we see a company like EA, which seemed to do nothing but disappoint, get their heads out of their butts and renew the series big time with the introduction of the new consoles. We hoped that 2K could do the same.

Anyway, that was more long winded than I hoped.
I know that some here are harsh on 2K but there are reasons. Just like I know that some of 2K's biggest critics will be the first to lay down cash if 2K10 is a good hockey game.
I know I'm really anticipating 2K10 and I think it has terrific potential in VC's hands.

I can't wait for next Friday when we'll see more gameplay info and possibly videos.
Good post. The biggest thing for me are the franchise/dynasty mode bugs. Hopefully that is a thing of the past this year. I guess the others don't express their reasons like you do. I tend to jump on them because it only seems like bashing but I get your point.

# 65 Flyermania @ 07/31/09 08:36 PM
As much as there is complaining about people "bashing" on the game and "having an agenda", I feel it is also taken to the opposite extreme. Some people spew the same "I love this game" and "It makes me happy" stuff in almost every post --- 2k could crap in your corn flakes and you'd still be happy. That's fine, but it doesn't make one person right or another wrong.

This is a discussion forum. People have different views. Such is life.

I have no problems with people pointing out faults in EA's game...if it's done constructively, I'm all for it as EA reads this forum and it can only help improve things. But don't offer a hollow opinion if you haven't bought the game in years, or didn't try the game after the multiple patches that were released,

Back on topic, I am glad to read Bishop's comments on the AI and returning to the series' roots. A sim-style game is what got the praise for the 2k series in the past and also the high ratings --- and also lit a fire under EA to turn things around.

Now the tables have turned...2k has a lot of work to do to win back their old fan base. And that old fan base is not someone who doesn't tweak the sliders or cares a lot about the arenas. It's the fan that loves hockey and invests a lot of time tweaking and customizing the game to simulate the sport. THAT is what made this series great and what will bring people back. The longer it goes without it happening, the closer this series is to the grave. They simply do not have the marketing know-how or budget to compete with EA and win the casual fan. The skill stick essentially put the nail in that coffin back in 07.

The teaser video was nothing. Regardless of an early demo, more gameplay vids, or whatever else, the proof will be in the proverbial pudding come September.

# 66 Flyermania @ 07/31/09 08:56 PM
I am always open to a friendly debate. Feel free to initiate one here or via PM.

# 67 savoie2006 @ 07/31/09 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
As much as there is complaining about people "bashing" on the game and "having an agenda", I feel it is also taken to the opposite extreme. Some people spew the same "I love this game" and "It makes me happy" stuff in almost every post --- 2k could crap in your corn flakes and you'd still be happy. That's fine, but it doesn't make one person right or another wrong.

This is a discussion forum. People have different views. Such is life.

I have no problems with people pointing out faults in EA's game...if it's done constructively, I'm all for it as EA reads this forum and it can only help improve things. But don't offer a hollow opinion if you haven't bought the game in years, or didn't try the game after the multiple patches that were released,

Back on topic, I am glad to read Bishop's comments on the AI and returning to the series' roots. A sim-style game is what got the praise for the 2k series in the past and also the high ratings --- and also lit a fire under EA to turn things around.

Now the tables have turned...2k has a lot of work to do to win back their old fan base. And that old fan base is not someone who doesn't tweak the sliders or cares a lot about the arenas. It's the fan that loves hockey and invests a lot of time tweaking and customizing the game to simulate the sport. THAT is what made this series great and what will bring people back. The longer it goes without it happening, the closer this series is to the grave. They simply do not have the marketing know-how or budget to compete with EA and win the casual fan. The skill stick essentially put the nail in that coffin back in 07.

The teaser video was nothing. Regardless of an early demo, more gameplay vids, or whatever else, the proof will be in the proverbial pudding come September.
It doesn't bother me if people want to point out the shortcomings of the game. Though I feel the way people shred game pics is obsurd, oh well, it's something do when the forums are slow. What bothers me is the fact that really no other 2KHockey titles previous to 2K9 have to do with VC developing the game. Yet that is always an argument as to why the series has gone downhill. 2K9 was basically VC's version of NHL07. The foundation is there, but the game was incomplete, even VC states this. So do, to Kush trashing the series, and VC wanting rebuild the game, starting with 2K9, they get only skepticism.

If you ask me, much like with EA after 07, people need to just wait for 2K10 and see what VC has done for improving upon 2K9. Alot of people jumped on the EA bandwagon with NHL07 and it was just as incomplete and flawed. Just give VC the benefit of the doubt until they show otherwise, as Kush did. I mean the graphics with VC at the helm already look the best the series has looked on the 360. That should say something for them, right?

# 68 Eddie1967 @ 07/31/09 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
It doesn't bother me if people want to point out the shortcomings of the game. Though I feel the way people shred game pics is obsurd, oh well, it's something do when the forums are slow. What bothers me is the fact that really no other 2KHockey titles previous to 2K9 have to do with VC developing the game. Yet that is always an argument as to why the series has gone downhill. 2K9 was basically VC's version of NHL07. The foundation is there, but the game was incomplete, even VC states this. So do, to Kush trashing the series, and VC wanting rebuild the game, starting with 2K9, they get only skepticism.

If you ask me, much like with EA after 07, people need to just wait for 2K10 and see what VC has done for improving upon 2K9. Alot of people jumped on the EA bandwagon with NHL07 and it was just as incomplete and flawed. Just give VC the benefit of the doubt until they show otherwise, as Kush did. I mean the graphics with VC at the helm already look the best the series has looked on the 360. That should say something for them, right?
Exactly. Kush is gone, VC is at the helm, it was a 2 year development cycle for this game, rebuilt A.I., superb looking graphics, etc. Just like some of you did with EA after 3 years of crappy games, give 2k the same benefit of the doubt.

# 69 kerosene31 @ 08/01/09 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
2K9 was basically VC's version of NHL07. The foundation is there, but the game was incomplete, even VC states this. So do, to Kush trashing the series, and VC wanting rebuild the game, starting with 2K9, they get only skepticism.
Yes, that's how I look at 2k9. Just like rebuilding a real sports team, rebuilding a sports game takes time.

People forget how bad NHL07 was. The AI was laughable (remember how you could get the CPU d-men to skate themselves into the boards), and the game overall was very rough around the edges. NHL08 was better, but still lacking. It took them until 09 to get things going.

2k9 was a very solid effort, given VC's limited development time.

The whole EA vs 2k thing is kind of pointless anyway. EA's sports games are very different than they used to be. For the offline player, many of us want something different. That's where VC needs to come in with a good offline hockey sim.

# 70 savoie2006 @ 08/01/09 07:50 AM
Quote:
Just like some of you did with EA after 3 years of crappy games, give 2k the same benefit of the doubt.
Yep

Kerosene I agree with everything you said.

# 71 Keirik @ 08/01/09 12:23 PM
Quote:
And yet they say they want to get back to their true sim roots and you still hate on them. I guess after you guys play this game you can then go back to other game and then this forum will be quiet again. Until next year when the same guys come back and hate on the game.
you know, it gets tired real quick with this whole "hating" concept. I don't even know who you are, let alone start making assumptions of your intentions with anything. I'd assume you don't know anything about me as well, so enough with trying to tell me what i think and feel.

It's about how i've bought every 2k game since 03 only to watch the game go the gimmick route the last few years and ditch the actual fanbase. Add in how they waste resources on dumb ideas, market the game terribly if at all, and give an overall amateurish approach to the entire game.

# 72 Keirik @ 08/01/09 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie1967
Nothing will get them back because IMHO I don't think they want to like the game. I'm far from an EA fan, but I don't go to that forum, ripping and bashing at any and all info about that game. There is an agenda here folks and that's all there is to it.
Quote:
Bravo Scott. Dare I say we might have some stalkers among us. I'm joking of course, but as I said, it's all a matter of maturity my friend.

actually, i'd say its time for you to practice what you preach. An agenda and maturity level? Come on, this is a site to discuss sports games, so that's what we're doing both good and bad.

Agenda, lol. Are you trying to say that myself or any other person's opinion is so vital to influence thousands of people on a website into either buying or not buying a game? lol, you give far too much credit. Stop pointing fingers and jumping to conclusions about nonsense. We're discussing a video game. No conspiracy theories going on here. Heck, i own more 2k games than EA games anyway.

# 73 Keirik @ 08/01/09 01:14 PM
Quote:
Maybe you guys don't have an agenda, but someone that praises EA's hockey all the time and then comes in here and rips this game a new one. It kinda gets old. I don't mind people ripping this game, but sometimes it is pretty obvious what they are doing. If you want to talk bad about the game and then go in to the EA's forum and see nothing wrong with that game. Then that is when I laugh. But it is cool. It would be nice to see people say what they don't like and what they do like about this game. Instead of this just becoming a bitching session. Just as you are free to debate with us we are free to debate with you.
well, by all means, feel free to search my user name on the board and see how i've said bad things about EAs game as well. Honestly, me saying negative things about this game in no way equate to being in love with EA's game. We're discussing 2k. I don't really see anyone bringing EA up in the argument except the same people who defend this game as if it were a personal attack. Very odd to be honest, very odd.

Aren't we like 5-6 weeks away from releasing the game and have not seen one video yet of the actual game? THATS what this discussion is about, not EA.

# 74 savoie2006 @ 08/01/09 03:55 PM
Quote:
Aren't we like 5-6 weeks away from releasing the game and have not seen one video yet of the actual game?
Yeah, that's frustrating, but we'll see one, and before the demo even comes probably. In any case, it has nothing to do with the possible quality of the game. Same with previous 2K games. They have nothing to do with 2K10 and it's quality, but they sure are used to throw a black cloud on it.

# 75 slickdtc @ 08/01/09 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerosene31
This is all that is important to me.

An realistic offline hockey sim with great AI is what we need.
You're right. There's really no way to know how good a game is going to be just by watching videos, viewing screenshots, or hearing about features. All those things can certainly help, but until you have the controller in your hand you won't know just how it feels to be playing the game. Of course, you can pick out flaws, improvements, and things along those lines before playing the game, but to really judge a game you have to play it.

If only we could do so before putting down any money (whether that means you're buying or renting the game).

# 76 Eddie1967 @ 08/02/09 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorismary
Its sad the NHL forums have a unfair biase at times reguardless of likes or dislikes or even quality of games which is all opinion anyway.
And the Bottom line if anything like the last few pages here happen in the EA forum well you know what would happen and thats just not fair IMO for people to be able crap here directly or creativly indirectly is wrong.
I agree, way too much bashing allowed here under the fake "I owned 2003 to 06 and I want it to get better". If those who hate 2k hockey just stayed away from this forum it would definitely improve.

# 77 savoie2006 @ 08/02/09 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgalv
there's a difference between not wanting 2k hockey to be good and recognizing when the game isn't good and hasn't had much effort put into it.

i hope 2k10 is awesome but i don't see how people think that's going to be the case when the track record says otherwise. they have released practically nothing about the game which is red flag #1. whenever i read the the 2k developers talking about their past version of the game they sound far less enthusiastic about them than a lot of the posters in this forum, which is strange.
Yes, but Kush released 3 of them. VC has released 2K9 and yes it was flawed and incomplete, but it was their building block for rebuilding the series. Given that the graphics have greatly improved for 2K10, in fact they best they have looked for the 360/PS3, I would say there's reason for a little optimism. I mean VC accomplished bettter graphics in two years than Kush could ever accomplish. I'm sure the gameplay will follow suit.

# 78 savoie2006 @ 08/02/09 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
The're better but still not at EA's level of polish which I'm 99.999% sure is due to engine limitations. Quite honestly that seems to be 2k's whole motif the last few years, average to solid titles that severely lack polish and thats not limited to just Kush's titles. Just because VC is now the developer doesn't mean they should get an automatic pass. I think alot of people forget that Bish was still a producer for the game during the Kush days and I'd imagine his team at VC at the time still had a say in the direction the game took.
I'll give them a pass on 2K9, but I believe going forward that polish will improve and I think 2K10 is showing that, at least graphically so far. Oh and I don't think polish just concerns graphics.

# 79 Eddie1967 @ 08/02/09 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Others have just as much right to state their displeasure with the series as you do to state your man crush for 2k. If you can't handle what forums are for stop reading right now and go hug your copy of 2k9. Seriously dude noone has an agenda, we genuinely want the series to get better.
I'm not surprised that you get infractions realm. But hey just a few more to go and this forum will get a welcomed break from your trolling.

# 80 Flyermania @ 08/02/09 06:11 PM
Quote:
I'm not surprised that you get infractions realm. But hey just a few more to go and this forum will get a welcomed break from your trolling.
You're just as guilty as anyone Eddie...accusing others of having "agendas", etc. Everyone is entitled to express their opinion just like you are. You have a serious problem with anyone who posts any negative criticism on this game...without good AND bad feedback this series would spin its wheels in place and never move forward. Let it go and try to keep things on topic.

In an effort to get things on topic, it's great to see some news finally trickle out on the game. We're starting to see videos, interviews, screen shots, etc. which is a very good thing. If the game truly makes some strides to get back to its sim-style roots, this series could finally be getting back on track.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.