Home
NHL 2K10 News Post

IGN has uploaded some NHL 2K10 gameplay videos.

Game: NHL 2K10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Russo @ 08/10/09 06:27 PM
If anything, they sound more enthusiastic. The EA NHL broadcasters are far from exciting though. So far, I like what i see, and as someone pointed earlier, it was played on an easy setting. Every shot was a goal lol.

# 2 Panther84 @ 08/10/09 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
Jesus, where to start... Well, the ice is nice and shiny. Goalie player models are terrible again. The announcing is horrible again. The weird cut scenes of players raising their arms and celebrating long after the goal is scored are still in the game. This game went from #1 to #2 on my interest list after watching that.
Ya i agree, i was a huge 2k fan from the dreamcast days but absolutely hated 2k9 and 2k10 seems to be headed the same way. I'll definetly rent it but i dont think it has a chance against nhl10 this year.

# 3 CarryTheWeight @ 08/10/09 07:00 PM
Very interesting. Arenas are mindblowing as always. Presentation has improved but I still don't see any replays during stoppages (not that there even were stoppages in those videos). Sound effects and crowd responses are a lot better than 2K9. Commentary sounds better than last year's game but there's still some lines from years past ("you can spread those goals out over a few games!"). Celebrations seem improved but not perfect. Why couldn't Stamkos hug both of his teammates instead of leaving one teammate skating around pumping his fists?

The Intermission Report now features highlights during John's analysis (an idea I presented in the "Developers Are Listening" thread to give the game an NFL 2K5-like approach). HOW John analyzes, though, is another story since the video capturer skipped over the report.

Nice two-man celebration after Thornton's goal but Joe just seems to skate it off and doesn't respond to the teammate draped over his back. It seems similar to the random two-man celebrations that trigger after touchdowns in NCAA 09 and 10 for some reason.

Wings Arena Intro - amazing. If that doesn't get you pumped for a game, I don't know what will. Amazing lighting effects there, one of the true graphical high points of the game.

Player faces are head and shoulders above 2K9's but I'm not quite sure if they'll be as impressive as 2K8's were. The best thing is, though, that they look a lot more like human beings and not like something you'll see on Celebrity Deathmatch.

Finally, is it just me or are the slapshot animations a bit too over the top? It seems like they're swinging the sticks with reckless abandon. May be a nitpick, though.

I'm pretty excited to see more from this game as many of my questions have not been answered. But it's easy to see how much improvement has been made. How substantial those improvements are, though, are going to be measured by how much info comes out in the next few weeks.

# 4 onlybygrace @ 08/10/09 07:21 PM
The game has some positives, but EA has got em whipped, IMO.

Especially when it comes to the atmosphere of an NHL building after the home team has scored a goal.

Listen to the crowds in 2k9 vs the crowd in EA's game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5NbmXlYgxA

EA's is way better.

# 5 CarryTheWeight @ 08/10/09 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlybygrace
The game has some positives, but EA has got em whipped, IMO.
I don't disagree with you but it's NOT that way on the presentation front. Honestly, I'm tired of EA's bland presentation, it's the same as it was in 08 and it gives me the feeling that every game is exactly the same as the one before it. 2K offers something a lot better in that department and until NHL 11's rumored presentation overhaul happens, it's the best we're going to get.

# 6 mgoblue678 @ 08/10/09 07:47 PM
I personally think those videos look a lot better than 2k9 and the graphics including the player models are vastly improved. They really put 2k9 to shame. Some of those player faces are pretty dead some others aren't. The arenas look flat out gorgeous. The presentation looks pretty good and that intro for the Red Wings was pretty amazing.

Game play wise it looks like movement and the animations are very solid. Obviously the defense was lacking and too many shots were going in, but keep in mind that was on an easy difficulty with no sliders adjusted. The gameplay when played on a harder difficulty with sliders adjustments looks like it has a chance to play a pretty good game of hockey.

Also I was somebody who thought NHL 09 wasn't as good as people made it out to be especially from a sim perspective. To be perfectly honest I thought neither game last year was that close to representing the sport. It does look like NHL 10 made alot improvements towards being more sim but NHL 2K10 looks like it will be improved alot as well. I may have to buy both as they both look like they have the potential to be pretty good.

Also can we at least wait until the games are out and we played them both before we say one is whippin the other.

# 7 TIm @ 08/10/09 07:56 PM
I really hope that was on rookie mode. Because I saw alot of one-timers that were a goals and quick rebounds that looked like it was a slapshot from the defense. Presentation looks great... I need to see alot more because the gameplay didn't impress me. No cycling of the pucks, people taking the pucks down ice without really getting challenged, and the faceoffs to me looked wrong. Faceoffs after puck was dropped had a couple second delay before someone touched the puck.... Announcing was fine to me. I love the arena sounds and that Wings Intro was just amazing...

# 8 Avizzv92 @ 08/10/09 08:00 PM
I thought the announcing was fine, I mean it can't be easy make it sound completely authentic given it's scripted and pieced together. Goalies are still a little off IMO, but It's looking good!

And as many said before, the intros are amazing!

# 9 Eddie1967 @ 08/10/09 08:01 PM
WOW OH WOW! That Redwing intro is truly amazing. I can't get over how the arena is so lively and colorful and the outstanding attention to detail. I truly hope this is a regular season and playoff thing and that every arena is different. I am salivating.

The graphics are superb. Did you see the players faces. What a major upgrade.

Everything about those videos says upgrade. It doesn't look or sound like 2k9 to me.

I have always liked the announcers and they seem to be improved this year too.

Scott was that a 5 man hug?

# 10 mgoblue678 @ 08/10/09 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIm
I really hope that was on rookie mode. Because I saw alot of one-timers that were a goals and quick rebounds that looked like it was a slapshot from the defense. Presentation looks great... I need to see alot more because the gameplay didn't impress me. No cycling of the pucks, people taking the pucks down ice without really getting challenged, and the faceoffs to me looked wrong. Faceoffs after puck was dropped had a couple second delay before someone touched the puck.... Announcing was fine to me. I love the arena sounds and that Wings Intro was just amazing...
It most likely was on a easy mode with no slider adjustments, so I wouldn't worry to much about the gameplay looking off.

# 11 18 eighty 5 @ 08/10/09 08:04 PM
Looking real good! In the Lighting vs Sharks vids I am sure it is two humans playing against eachother. The guy in control of the Sharks is either really, really bad is deliberately getting out of position to allow for some gameplay goals for highlights.

Watch how the Sharks have a blue circle highlighting the player being controlled, it switches just like it was a human controlling it...but it looks like someone who has never played video game hockey is in charge of the controls.

Good to see 2k responding with gameplay and the kind of stuff the fans want to see.

# 12 TIm @ 08/10/09 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue678
It most likely was on a easy mode with no slider adjustments, so I wouldn't worry to much about the gameplay looking off.
just what I saw that's all.. I will take both games in before I make a decision. All I know both look to be good games. I want more blogs and developer videos like EA has done explaining the videos. Plus you have to take into consideration that it might be human controlled players... Just the presentation alone is pretty impressive. But man I wish 2k still had Thorne and Clemente....

# 13 mgoblue678 @ 08/10/09 08:07 PM
^^^That is what I noticed as well.

# 14 Eddie1967 @ 08/10/09 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue678

Yeah it looked a little slow and easy so I'm thinking it was on an easier mode myself.

# 15 savoie2006 @ 08/10/09 08:08 PM
Why IGN? They have butchered both NHL10 and 2K10 with their awful gameplay videos. VC needs to release one of their own, because those do the game NO JUSTICE in the gameplay department. The arenas and graphics look geat. The rest is probably gonna have to wait until I buy the game.

# 16 savoie2006 @ 08/10/09 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
So we're getting 2k9 with awesome arena intro's and some snazzy "screen flashes" on goals.. Same corny old play by play script Bob Cole and Harry Neale style, still no replays on goals unless the guy playing skipped them, and the goalies look awful. I had said a few weeks ago that I was getting a 2k9 vibe from the early info and it seems I was right. 2k9.5 now with really awesome arena entrances.
I think you're jumping the gun, but if that's the way you see it.

# 17 savoie2006 @ 08/10/09 08:25 PM
Developer Insights Coming, Starting Tomorrow:

http://community.2ksports.com/community/insights/

# 18 CarryTheWeight @ 08/10/09 08:26 PM
Quote:
Same corny old play by play script Bob Cole and Harry Neale style
I caught a few instances of repeated lines from that era but it's too early to tell - these videos don't give us enough.

Quote:
no replays on goals unless the guy playing skipped them
At least one of those goals had a replay on it. The capturer skipped over many things in the video including the Intermission Report I brought up earlier so I hope the presentation goes beyond what we saw.

Apart from those two points, I agree, there are many grey areas still left uncovered. Also the frequent one-timers and general novice play of the people playing doesn't help this game's case at all.

# 19 Flyermania @ 08/10/09 08:34 PM
Overall I thought the clips were good and it is definitely an improvement over 2k9. What more can you say about the arenas and intros --- they are fantastic! The commentary needs more work, but it sounds more lively than last year. The graphic overlays are very cool too.

I know it was probably played on an easy skill level, but I do have some concerns about the AI. I can tolerate stupidity from the IGN player (I expect as much from them), but the CPU offense and defense AI was questionable. The d-men seemed to skate away from the puck carrier, and offensively there wasn't any setting up of an offense once in the zone. Hopefully this is due to the skill level they were on.

Looks a ton better than 2k9...keep these video coming!

# 20 Money99 @ 08/10/09 08:38 PM
The game's looking good. I'm also very pleased that the 2K marketing team finally emerged from their cave and allowed some media to be released.

At this point, I have to echo TIm's comment about too many one-timers.
On Malone's, it looked like the pass was behind him but he still wound up and fired it from the wheelhouse.

I want one-timers to be hard. If the pass isn't perfect the one-timer should be highly inaccurate or at the very least cause force the player to re-adjust to scoop up the puck and negate the one-timer.

But there was a lot to like in there. There even seemed to be some decent neutral zone pressure.

It looked to me that this was a game of two human users playing one another. It would explain the one-timer happy fest. Or at least I hope it explains that.

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.