Home
NHL 2K10 News Post

IGN has uploaded some NHL 2K10 gameplay videos.

Game: NHL 2K10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 CarryTheWeight @ 08/10/09 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
Where does it say NHL I only see NBA?
There's an NHL button on the upper right hand corner of the window to the left of the NBA button. Cool to see that 2K is finally answering the call of the fans and going down EA's path of releasing information through blogs. I just hope these blogs are as substantial (or moreso) as the ones on EA's Inside Blog and not as shallow as the "developer diaries" we received in the past from 2K.

# 22 original6 @ 08/10/09 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
So we're getting 2k9 with awesome arena intro's and some snazzy "screen flashes" on goals.. Same corny old play by play script Bob Cole and Harry Neale style, still no replays on goals unless the guy playing skipped them, and the goalies look awful. I had said a few weeks ago that I was getting a 2k9 vibe from the early info and it seems I was right. 2k9.5 now with really awesome arena entrances.
Surprise, surprise, I actually have to agree with you on this one Realm. I've seen nothing but sharper graphics thus far in the vids. Gameplay, skating, and animations still look like 2k9 to me.

# 23 savoie2006 @ 08/10/09 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Its early and obviously playing it on a higher skill/slider set may change things but honestly, aside from the graphics finally at least looking next gen and great looking arena intros/presentation aspects, I'm not all that impressed, tape to tape passing, retreating dmen, lack of puck awareness on the cpu AI's part. Meh, c'mon VC don't let me down.
As you said though, slider settings and skill level most likely plays a big part in most of that, so why jump the gun at this point? It's IGN, who destroyed their gameplay vid of NHL10 as well. Of course nothing worse could happen for 2K, where the doubters are already in droves. Hopefully the Developer Insights will help remedy this.

# 24 TIm @ 08/10/09 10:47 PM
To me it remains to be seen. What we have heard so far about this game is that someone can pick up and play and have a fun time or if you up the level a bit it will cater to Simstyle play.. I take it that we saw a easy level that anyone can have fun with...Again my point why we need info on this game to come out a few weeks ago... It wouldn't have been too early but it would've caterd to all involved. We will see. But again I think we should have 2 solid games on our hands

# 25 tabulaRasa @ 08/11/09 06:30 AM
The areanas are stunning.

Gameplay must be set at an very easy setting. The gamespot preview vid looked more realistic.

Player faces looked awesome in that instant replay vid on IGN. NIce work.

# 26 slickdtc @ 08/11/09 08:37 AM
I'm really starting to like this game. After not being shown at E3, no videos, no nothing for a while, I was losing hope. But these videos have looked good to me. Yeah, some parts are kind of stupid (celebrations can look awkward, commentary is bad) but those weren't part of the actual gameplay. I think the gameplay is going to be very tight this year, especially with a few slider tweaks. I'm excited.

# 27 Shadow71 @ 08/11/09 10:44 AM
The game was played on default Pro settings; be sure to stay tuned in the coming days to the developer blogs on 2ksports.com which should shed some more light on how some of the sliders can help you have a more realistic or "sim" game.

http://community.2ksports.com/community/insights/

Just click the NHL tab at the top.

# 28 Vince @ 08/11/09 11:11 AM
not even worth watching...gonna wait till they post videos of higher difficulty levels..

You really can't make a good judgement based on these videos...

# 29 original6 @ 08/11/09 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow71
The game was played on default Pro settings; be sure to stay tuned in the coming days to the developer blogs on 2ksports.com which should shed some more light on how some of the sliders can help you have a more realistic or "sim" game.

http://community.2ksports.com/community/insights/

Just click the NHL tab at the top.
Thanks for the heads up on the vid, Shadow. However, I'm still concerned that the skating, animations, and puckhandling look just like 2k9. I was really hoping to see a significant improvement in these areas. There still seems to be a lot of 'awkwardness' to the players movements and lack of leading players with passes in the neutral zone.

# 30 CarryTheWeight @ 08/11/09 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
You're free to feel okay about the commentary of course. But excusing it is another thing. It's by far the worst commentary in any current video sports game, and has been for five years now (Cole and Neale were equally awful). There's simply no excuse for that. Whoever is responsible for writing, recording and programming the commentary in 2K's NHL series is apparently incompetent and shouldn't be working on the development team in that capacity. And the fact that 2K/VC continues to allow something that intregral and that poorly produced to be included in a game they're developing, tells me we're probably in for yet another half-effort on the part of 2K. NHL 2K9.5 as RealmK suggested.
Tom Hammond says hello. That guy sucks all the excitement out of Madden 09 and 10!

I don't think we should be making so many assessments on the commentary yet based on a few short videos because there may be more to it than what we've seen. Now, if we get more videos in the future or have the game in front of us then yes, I'll be in a position to agree or disagree. But right now it's way too early to tell.

And that last sentence not only applies to the commentary, but to the game itself. I learned a long time ago never to judge a game by videos only. Heck, I could even go out a limb and say that by videos only it looks like NHL 10 is the same game as NHL 09 (until you show the new goalie animations, passing, AI, forechecking, fighting, crowd and board play).

# 31 CarryTheWeight @ 08/11/09 03:55 PM
I'm just saying the "only a video" stuff because quite honestly, I haven't seen enough of the game yet to make a realistic assessment. If it seems like I'm blindly defending the game, I'm not. I just haven't seen enough.

# 32 savoie2006 @ 08/11/09 05:00 PM
Baa, why not wait until we read what all the developer have to tell us about the game and until we actually play the game, before making such statements as it will probably be 2K9.5. Ridiculous if you ask me. I can already tell you that based on the first developer blog I read, that the game will be much better than you or any other doubter thinks.

# 33 bcgudely @ 08/11/09 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
I understand. I'm just saying those vids no doubt represent the finished product that we'll be looking at and listening. Me, I don't think I'm interested in the game if the visual and audio shortcomings and issues that have plagued this series for years still haven't been addressed. I'm interested in gameplay like anyone else, but I don't have much use for games that I have to shut off the commentary and continually overlook visual issues, in order to enjoy.
Exactly. If this was shown to us 5 months ago, then ok.. but the game comes out in a month. Nothing major is going to be changed, if anything at all. Likely going to be polishing up some areas and trying to make sure the product ships as bug-free as possible.

I'll still give it a rent, as I did 2K9. There were some things I liked about 2K9, but I thought it needed a ton of work. This doesn't really look like it got the work in the right areas. It seems to me like the visual appeal and presentation got a lot of love, while the basic hockey gameplay remains essentially the same. I haven't played it yet though, so we'll see how it turns out when the game comes out. Still hoping this one turns out to be good.. I've always liked 2K since the DC days.

# 34 savoie2006 @ 08/11/09 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgudely
Exactly. If this was shown to us 5 months ago, then ok.. but the game comes out in a month. Nothing major is going to be changed, if anything at all. Likely going to be polishing up some areas and trying to make sure the product ships as bug-free as possible.

I'll still give it a rent, as I did 2K9. There were some things I liked about 2K9, but I thought it needed a ton of work. This doesn't really look like it got the work in the right areas. It seems to me like the visual appeal and presentation got a lot of love, while the basic hockey gameplay remains essentially the same. I haven't played it yet though, so we'll see how it turns out when the game comes out. Still hoping this one turns out to be good.. I've always liked 2K since the DC days.
Well no one in their right mind would argue that the visual appeal and presentation needed the love they got.

Take a look at EA's series. It's visual appeal is what gets noticed the most. The game is beautiful and it's fun to play. Alot of people though seem to overlook the games flaws due to its visual appeal. That's what I've noticed at least. NHL 09 had more than its fair share of gameplay flaws.

Now take a look at NHL2K9 which also had its fair share of gameplay flaws, but it's visual appeal lacked heavily and I think that magnified peoples opinions of the game, on top of its flaws.Also I don't think the gameplay will be anything like 2K9 once you get into the sliders and past the defaults. The same goes for NHL10, which I think will play way better than the videos have shown, once you adjust some sliders.

# 35 savoie2006 @ 08/11/09 06:48 PM
Well, sorry not everything is the way you like it. I agree with what you are complaining about to an extent. I just don't see commentary in a video game as anything to take so seriously. I mean Thorne and Clement have been basically using the same lines since they were doing commentary for the 2K games. Also the post goal and other cutscenes are a minor deal to me as well and would much rather have the gameplay issues resolved before either of those.

The goalie models are rather off, but improved at least. I can live with that as well, since the skaters look much improved overall. I think the player models will be in top form for 2K11. Again though, while having beautiful graphics is nice, I'll take the gameplay first. They greatly improved the visuals over 2K9 so I'm happy the effort was there.

# 36 Keirik @ 08/11/09 07:07 PM
Quote:
First off Baa, you are wrong. Experience plays a big factor in delivering lines. Randy and drew has not done the reading of lines as long as Thorne and Clem has. Trust me that makes a huge different. Plus EA still has the same old script too. The only difference is the EA guys know how to read their lines better. Also, this NHL 2K 9.5 is funny. They have better graphics and new gameplay things and you call that just a touch up. That is all EA did. But that is cool you are free to have your opinion. I can't for both games.
i'm assuming you're career is somehow related to commentating, reading script, et al since you're using terms like "you're wrong" and "trust me" as if you have some inside knowledge on the topic that the rest of us dont.

Let me know, im curious how many years you've been in the announcing business?

# 37 Eddie1967 @ 08/11/09 07:17 PM
Quote:
First off Baa, you are wrong. Experience plays a big factor in delivering lines. Randy and drew has not done the reading of lines as long as Thorne and Clem has. Trust me that makes a huge different. Plus EA still has the same old script too. The only difference is the EA guys know how to read their lines better. Also, this NHL 2K 9.5 is funny. They have better graphics and new gameplay things and you call that just a touch up. That is all EA did. But that is cool you are free to have your opinion. I can't for both games.
I agree Scott. Besides who cares about how good the announcing is anyway when you have great game play. I love the announcers in NHL 2k9. NFL 2k5 had generic announcers and that was the best announcing team in any sports game created, but whether it's thorne or clement or whoever it not going to make or break a hockey game. Like EA fans used to say the only thing that matters is game play.

# 38 Epiffani @ 08/11/09 07:50 PM
Not that much of a hockey fan (altho I do like the Dallas Stars), but this game looks pretty impressive. This may very well be the first hockey game I buy since the original NHL 2K (change it up a little from the other sports games that I regularly play). Time for me to go find some info on this game.

# 39 onlybygrace @ 08/11/09 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epiffani
Not that much of a hockey fan (altho I do like the Dallas Stars), but this game looks pretty impressive. This may very well be the first hockey game I buy since the original NHL 2K (change it up a little from the other sports games that I regularly play). Time for me to go find some info on this game.
Since this game is aimed at casual fans, it should be perfect for you.

# 40 savoie2006 @ 08/11/09 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlybygrace
Since this game is aimed at casual fans, it should be perfect for you.
It's aimed at both hardcore and casual, which if you ask me is the way games should be. They should be realistic and authentic enough for the hardcore fans, yet still accesible and easy to pick up and play out of the box for the casuals.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.