Home
NHL 2K10 News Post

IGN has uploaded some NHL 2K10 gameplay videos.

Game: NHL 2K10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 davep @ 08/13/09 07:51 AM
Not bad....but it just seems too twitchy to me for some reason. And the announcing was a little underwhelming, I guess I was hoping for a bit more this year.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but EA is going to get my money this year and I have a feeling I'll be very happy with it.

# 62 Flyermania @ 08/13/09 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
It is not the fact that they have not done commentary in real games before.. It is the reading of lines that get you. When they do it for real they don't read a script, they Ad-Lib. So yes it does make a difference. Thorne and Clement have had a lot of experience in reading lines, so they are more comfortable doing it. Randy and Drew have done it twice now. I think they will be better this year, but I don't think it will be much better. Try acting. It is actually a lot harder than it looks. Reading lines and trying to make it looks like you aren't is not easy. And yes I was in big play productions as a kid and a teen in San Francisco. And it is not easy.
But they are reading lines about hockey...a sport that they watch and one that generates their income 82 times a year. I was in theatre through my first two years of college...it's really not that difficult of you have an ounce of talent.

# 63 DaveDQ @ 08/13/09 08:20 AM
I'm not crazy about the puck physics, especially when the puck is on the stick. It looks too "stuck" to the stick, especially on breaks to the net. It looks like a cursor instead of a puck.

# 64 BigH2k6 @ 08/13/09 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
But they are reading lines about hockey...a sport that they watch and one that generates their income 82 times a year. I was in theatre through my first two years of college...it's really not that difficult of you have an ounce of talent.
Flyer, I think what the point Scott is trying to make is that these lines are imposed on them and not necessarily lines that they would say in their normal TV broadcasts.

Maybe it is because I don't understand how commentary is added to a videogame, but would it not give better results if the recordings were done with a demo of the game and the commentators describing what is happening in the actual game? I think that this would make the best commentary for the specific game. Maybe what they should do for 2k11 is to get them in early to ad-lib a 2k10 game and then have them come again later in development to record new things that the devs would have added. I think it would sound less canned that way.

And have both of them ad-lib a game together at the same time. I know for the time Bob Cole and Harry Neal did the commentary for 2k6, 7 and 8, they had them come to the studio seperately to record lines. That results in no chemistry between the 2 commentators

# 65 BigH2k6 @ 08/13/09 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
I think a huge difference is EA's script just sounds far more authentic to begin with while 2k's aside from pretty much being 5 years old to begin with has a ton of corny lines that you just wouldnt hear during a real NHL broadcast.
Agreed. I am just wondering if EA had Thorne and Clement in the studio at the same time??

# 66 slickdtc @ 08/13/09 09:06 AM
The commentary thing baffles me because we know NHL 2k can do better. Everyone points to NHL 2k5 as not only the best commentary in this series, but possibly in any sports video game. Personally, I feel like MLB 09: The Show does the best job, especially with the play by play and seamless lines where they add in that variable (when they have to say a player's name, it doesn't sound robotic even though it's just added in depending on who the player is).

But we also know Visual Concepts can do a great job with commentary. I have to look no further then ESPN NFL 2k5 to show this. Though that commentary can be repetitive, it always sounded great. I don't get why NHL 2k can't get this right.

# 67 Flyermania @ 08/13/09 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH2k6
Agreed. I am just wondering if EA had Thorne and Clement in the studio at the same time??
Quote:
While I don't know for certain I would imagine so. They flow and play off each other so well I can't see that being possible without being there at the same time. Either that or EA has some really talented audio engineers.
I believe I read somewhere that they were recorded separately, but I could be mistaken.

BigH2k6, I understand your point about Drew & Randy having a script and that it is different than an actual broadcast. But they should at least be able to show improvement...heck, they ad-lib on TV so why not do the same while recording the script to make it sound more lively? I don't see how they or 2k could be overly pleased with how it sounds. The commentary goes a long way towards enhancing the presentation.

# 68 Keirik @ 08/13/09 01:08 PM
Besides, lets not make it sound like 2k never had good commentary in the first place. They actually HAD Thorne and Clement in the series before.

But whatever, it's just another area 2k is lacking in recent years.

# 69 slickdtc @ 08/13/09 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
I play golf games without the commentary because I prefer birds chirping anyway. But I don't play baseball, soccer, football or hockey without the commentary. For me, it's part of the gaming experience. I find it hard to get into these team sport games unless the overall atmosphere --the commentary, crowd and on-ice/on-field sounds -- are all solid.
You must be disappointed a lot, then. Not many games get commentary, crowd, and in-game sounds right. I have to go to MLB 09: The Show again to say that's the one game where I think they really nailed it. Audio is great in that game from the crowd (love the constant 'buzz'), commentary (color is a little weak, but the PBP is best I've heard), and in-game sounds (you can hear guys footsteps running the bases... maybe a little too detailed ).

# 70 CarryTheWeight @ 08/13/09 03:44 PM
Visual Concepts has done commentary right this year: MLB 2K9. Gary Thorne and Steve Phillips have one of the best commentary tracks I've ever heard in a sports game and I actually prefer it to The Show's (although The Show has many, many more incidental lines due to the Blu-ray Disc's space).

Supposedly the commentary track for NBA 2K10 has been overhauled. If it's anything like MLB's, then I think NHL should receive the same treatment ASAP.

But you have to admit, in the presentation department, 2K10 crushes 10. Hands down. To me, this is one of the biggest oversights EA made this year. 11 has to ship with TV styled presentation similar to Madden's...because I have had enough of the stale cutscenes we've seen since 07 and 08 on every stoppage of play.

# 71 BigH2k6 @ 08/13/09 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
I believe I read somewhere that they were recorded separately, but I could be mistaken.

BigH2k6, I understand your point about Drew & Randy having a script and that it is different than an actual broadcast. But they should at least be able to show improvement...heck, they ad-lib on TV so why not do the same while recording the script to make it sound more lively? I don't see how they or 2k could be overly pleased with how it sounds. The commentary goes a long way towards enhancing the presentation.
I hear what you are aying Flyer, but to me, trying to say something that is unnatural is very difficult. I will give you an example: I am fluently bilingual, French and English. Sometimes, when I try to get too fancy in conversations in either language, I will stumble in my words because it just isn't me. It's not natural for me.

Now I get a feeling it is the same thing for commentary. What 2K and VC should do is put Hahn and Remanda in front of a game with no commentary and no preset lines and just let them fly with the commentary. I mean, it could not get anymore natural than that. That would also be indicative whether Hahn and Remanda can do this sort of thing

# 72 Flyermania @ 08/13/09 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH2k6
I hear what you are aying Flyer, but to me, trying to say something that is unnatural is very difficult. I will give you an example: I am fluently bilingual, French and English. Sometimes, when I try to get too fancy in conversations in either language, I will stumble in my words because it just isn't me. It's not natural for me.

Now I get a feeling it is the same thing for commentary. What 2K and VC should do is put Hahn and Remanda in front of a game with no commentary and no preset lines and just let them fly with the commentary. I mean, it could not get anymore natural than that. That would also be indicative whether Hahn and Remanda can do this sort of thing
I see your point...it just seems like a shame since everything else in the presentation aspect of 2k10 seems top notch. 2k5's commentary was ahead of anything else back in the day, but since then the commentary has steadily gone downhill IMO.

# 73 savoie2006 @ 08/14/09 02:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
For hurting someone? Or just for being a beast! I disagree about presentation that is where EA can't hold a candle to 2K's in my opinion. Go score a goal in 2k9 and go score a goal in 09 and be honest and tell me which one has more of an alive vibe to it.
Fixed for ya Scott. I do agree that the crowds will most likely be better in EA, but I think the overall Presentation 2K will have the edge. Too much of EA's will be just like last years, including the intermissions and post game.

# 74 CarryTheWeight @ 08/14/09 04:45 AM
Quote:
Really? 2k has playoff specific commentary and story tracking? Dynamic crowds that boo opposing teams star players or boo a player that injured one of their players? Whiteouts, glass bangers, towel wavers? Fan appropiate reactions on goals? Meaning when the home team gets scored on the crowd won't cheer like they do in 2k9? Sure 2k10's arena's look fantabulous but presentation to me is a whole hell of a lot more than how the arena's look.
This is all fine and good from an overall standpoint but I'm talking about broadcast presentation features in my original post. Guess I should've clarified that. There's no doubt the atmosphere in 10 is top-notch. They just need some major improvements to the amount of repeated cutscenes, bare-bones replays and banners and an overall lack of a broadcast feel apart from the commentary.

# 75 Money99 @ 08/14/09 03:42 PM
Quote:
I hardly consider herky jerky real time celebrations and a robotically delivered intermission report anything to be overly excited about personally.
Yeah, the transition between animations definitely looks jerky. I hope it's been smoothed out in the final build.

I think both games can have better celebrations.
In a real game, after a player scores they'll continue to cost by the net and then their teammates join them in a big 5-man group snuggle fest.

In EA's game the player always stops on a dime after scoring regardless if they were screaming in on a breakaway.
In 2K's game they break into a goal scoring celebration animation immediately after scoring.

If you play a game of NHL2004, you'll see that players will actually continue to skate after scoring while putting their hands in the air. And then their teammates mob them.
Why on earth this was change for the EA series is beyond me.

I like 2K's real time celebrations but like RealmK stated, the transition needs to be more fluid.

# 76 CarryTheWeight @ 08/14/09 04:09 PM
Quote:
I hardly consider herky jerky real time celebrations and a robotically delivered intermission report anything to be overly excited about personally.
Of course, I didn't say I was happy about celebrations or commentary. Realm, you've been around long enough to know that while I appreciated the myriad of "little things" last year, I'm no blind fanboy of this series by any means. I enjoy EA's game but it's been getting very stale in my opinion and that's why I leaned toward 2K9 last year for a while. Now, this year may change that, who knows. But I think there's an element of personality in 2K's title, through all the ugliness, that EA doesn't have.

Like I said, this year may be different. I don't show my face much on the EA forums but I'm putting my 60 dollars down this year again for the game, there's no question about it. Here there's a lot more interesting conversations because we don't quite know the direction of the game and there's a lot to speculate, plus there's a good level of mature discussion on this board that can't really be found in the NBA or NFL forums.

There's a lot of elements of last year's title that I felt were excellent ideas but were executed horribly...check my post in the "Developers Are Listening" thread. I loved the idea of playoff beards and an interactive Cup celebration but both features were embarrassing. So no, I'm not giving them a pat on the back here. 2K's been great for little details but the big details haven't been given enough TLC, whereas with EA, it's the other way around (although they've been VERY guilty of messing up big features in NCAA the past two years).

Long story short Realm, I agree. The game still looks sloppy in places but I won't make any major assessments until I play the game. That may just be my view of things but that's how I'm doing it...and doing the same with NHL 10 as well.

# 77 Eddie1967 @ 08/15/09 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
Ha-ha! That's exactly how I look at it and what I'm trying to keep in mind. I couldn't have put it any better. And moreso now that it's been made clear we can edit CPU strategy and behavior via strategy edits and sliders.
I agree personality is a good way to describe 2k hockey. I always felt that way about it, but with the editing you can do this year it should be even better. Behavior strategy is something I am looking forward to along with the GM's causing teams to behave like they normally would.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.