Home
NBA 2K10: Draft Combine News Post

Check out the first NBA Developer Insight, featuring NBA 2K10: Draft Combine.

Quote:
"Erick Boenisch here, Lead Feature Designer for NBA 2K10. Some of you guys may know me around the various forums as SimBaller. I’m here today to talk to you about NBA 2K10: Draft Combine. By now, I hope you’ve read through the previews that have come out via TeamXbox, Gamespot, etc. If not, don’t worry, I’ll give you the scoop below. If you have read them, you’ll find plenty of new details below to tide you over until the game is released. Before I get started, special shout out to Derrick Rose who was announced as cover athlete for NBA 2K10 Draft Combine earlier this afternoon!

So, first things first, who wants to get their hands on core NBA 2K10 game play before anyone else? If you fall into that category, we’re giving you that opportunity. As announced earlier today, you will be able to get your hands on NBA 2K10: Draft Combine on August 26 on Xbox LIVE Arcade for the Xbox 360 and September 3 for the PlayStation Network.

What we’re doing here with NBA 2K10: Draft Combine is something that no other sports game has ever really attempted. We’re letting you begin your My Player career by creating your player and participating in the NBA Draft Combine at the Attack Athletics gym in Chicago, Illinois. Once you complete the Combine, upload your player to our servers in preparation for the launch of NBA 2K10. Then when you pop in the NBA 2K10 disc and plug in your Gamertag, your player is going to be waiting for you at the NBA Draft The only question at that point will be did you perform well enough to get drafted? That question will have to wait until October 6th when NBA 2K10 is released. In the meantime, let’s see what the Draft Combine is all about, and what you can do to get yourself drafted."

Game: NBA 2K10: Draft CombineReader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 2 - View All
NBA 2K10: Draft Combine Videos
Member Comments
# 41 HeavenlyTouch @ 08/12/09 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptnKirk12
Do you have any statistics to prove me wrong?

Pretty sure Live advertises more than 2k does, it definitely shows when you walk into a store and see Live banners everywhere (they pay for that). Also when you turn on an NBA game, there is usually some Live commercials, 2k really didn't do that until a couple years ago.

I know I've converted a handful of friends who used to love Live, and they'd buy it because they though 2k sucked because they never saw commercials.
T-mobile commercials with Wade and Barkley show them playing 2k.

Last few years they've had a handful of 2k commercials, they played the KG ones on tv and over the internet on different gaming websites.

Just saying "this company advertises more!" based on your personal perception doesn't support who bought more copies of which game.

Again, it's baseless to say that. I will believe you if you showed me fact or statistics, until then I stand impartial on this matter.

# 42 jmood88 @ 08/12/09 12:10 PM
It's crazy that with how bad 2k games are marketed they've been killing Live in sales the past couple of years.

# 43 HeavenlyTouch @ 08/12/09 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
It's crazy that with how bad 2k games are marketed they've been killing Live in sales the past couple of years.
Consumers are much smarter nowadays.

Word of mouth over the internet, forums, facebook videos with comments, and so on. People often type "Insert here review" on the internet and get people's feedback before even buying anything.

Advertising alone won't be the difference maker nowadays.

# 44 dlane0087 @ 08/12/09 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenlyTouch
That's exactly how I feel to sum it up.

Live is showing their fans, "hey, you guys told us these things are problems, so let us give you a few videos showing you that we've addressed those problems".

2k could only do so much for their loyal fan base by showing a vid or two which highlight similar things or gameplay features; again, imho, no one here needs to be convinced to buy this game. I just don't think many people care for this wishy washy Draft Combine info, which seems like an excuse to 'hold us off for a while' and give them more time.
I think what 2K is doing is awesome from a marketing stand point they are talking about little things building it up to a good finale. Live is going through this whole video blowout because they do need to prove to their fanbase and the basketball community as a whole that they are changing and kudos to them for doing that. Doing these blogs shows me that 2K does see Live as viable competition this year, which means they are stepping up. Hopefully, both games deliver this year, but I am buying 2K10 and renting Live as of right now.

# 45 Behindshadows @ 08/12/09 12:22 PM
Quote:
Consumers are much smarter nowadays.

Word of mouth over the internet, forums, facebook videos with comments, and so on. People often type "Insert here review" on the internet and get people's feedback before even buying anything.

Advertising alone won't be the difference maker nowadays.
Yeah I agree, its a different ball game this season when it comes to game purchasing. Consumers do their homework and they just don't go out and buy things based off name recognition. They purchase based on what they read up on and what is marketed and flashed enough times in their face.

I'm always more harsh to 2ksports because they have the most brokeback-marketing I've ever seen when it comes to their games. Not to mention 2k10 comes out in less than 2 months and we still haven't really seen any gameplay on the title at all. No videos, bull**** screenshots and marketing of a feature only a 3rd of us give a damn about. I mean we buy the games to play 5 on 5 basketball, and the first thing they announce and continue to talk about is stupid Draft Combine. We are glad they have a new feature, yaaaaaaah!

Now show us what matters and that is the 5 on 5 game not this mess they've been showing. We want the meat and potatoes when it comes to their marketing, not the salad bar with lite dressing.

# 46 The 24th Letter @ 08/12/09 12:54 PM
IF your brokeback marketing style has outsold the comp over and over.....I dont see why you change it...

# 47 ProfessaPackMan @ 08/12/09 01:41 PM
To some people, it ain't all about sales though...

# 48 The 24th Letter @ 08/12/09 01:44 PM
including me...lol
im saying from 2ks view

# 49 TMagic @ 08/12/09 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
IF your brokeback marketing style has outsold the comp over and over.....I dont see why you change it...
I think I would attribute it more to them just having a better game than the comp than anything.

Just my

# 50 ProfessaPackMan @ 08/12/09 02:01 PM
Oh trust, I know and agree. No need to change your marketing style if it's been proven it's been successful for the last 3-4 years lol. This year seems to be a bit different from year's past because compared to the last 2 years, were getting more info NOW at this point in time than any other time in this same timespan. Hell, what did we know about 2K9 one year ago today other than the fact KG was going to be on the cover lol...

# 51 Altimus @ 08/12/09 02:04 PM
Not much until that French site leaked all those videos and pictures.

# 52 aholbert32 @ 08/12/09 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows
Yeah I agree, its a different ball game this season when it comes to game purchasing. Consumers do their homework and they just don't go out and buy things based off name recognition. They purchase based on what they read up on and what is marketed and flashed enough times in their face.

I'm always more harsh to 2ksports because they have the most brokeback-marketing I've ever seen when it comes to their games. Not to mention 2k10 comes out in less than 2 months and we still haven't really seen any gameplay on the title at all. No videos, bull**** screenshots and marketing of a feature only a 3rd of us give a damn about. I mean we buy the games to play 5 on 5 basketball, and the first thing they announce and continue to talk about is stupid Draft Combine. We are glad they have a new feature, yaaaaaaah!

Now show us what matters and that is the 5 on 5 game not this mess they've been showing. We want the meat and potatoes when it comes to their marketing, not the salad bar with lite dressing.
You completely overrestimate the buying public. Most people dont watch videos or screenshots. They dont come to OS or IGN or the 2k forums and chat about backdoor screens, tattoos and the D league. They treat video games the same way as they do movies. They see a trailer or commercial and decide to buy the game or not. Or they wait for reviews and then decide to buy the game. Or they go strictly off of name recognition.

They dont care about the game until we get closer to release. But you guys know that already because we do this every year. You guys complain about the lack of videos until September and then 2k releases it and sends Steve a beta copy. Then you complain about the lack of a demo, until 2k releases it. Every year its the same dance and for the past 4 yrs 2k has outsold the competition with this approach.

They seem to be the only ones who realize that advertising in August doesnt equal sales.

# 53 NINJAK2 @ 08/12/09 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
You completely overrestimate the buying public. Most people dont watch videos or screenshots. They dont come to OS or IGN or the 2k forums and chat about backdoor screens, tattoos and the D league. They treat video games the same way as they do movies. They see a trailer or commercial and decide to buy the game or not. Or they wait for reviews and then decide to buy the game. Or they go strictly off of name recognition.

They dont care about the game until we get closer to release. But you guys know that already because we do this every year. You guys complain about the lack of videos until September and then 2k releases it and sends Steve a beta copy. Then you complain about the lack of a demo, until 2k releases it. Every year its the same dance and for the past 4 yrs 2k has outsold the competition with this approach.

They seem to be the only ones who realize that advertising in August doesnt equal sales.
QFT. I agree with this 100%.

Guys are just impatient right now with Live flooding the gates with info on their game. People just want their fears put to rest about 2k and I certainly get that standpoint as well.

# 54 HeavenlyTouch @ 08/12/09 04:06 PM
Quote:

You are suggesting there is a correlation between lack of advertising in August and increased game sales, there is no truth to the matter.

One can argue that Live advertising in August has also helped them capture a market share which they may not have had otherwise if they tried to compete head to head in September.

# 55 aholbert32 @ 08/12/09 04:14 PM
Quote:
You are suggesting there is a correlation between lack of advertising in August and increased game sales, there is no truth to the matter.

One can argue that Live advertising in August has also helped them capture a market share which they may not have had otherwise if they tried to compete head to head in September.

I never suggested any of that. I stated that 2k has an advertising budget and marketing plan and that its worked the last 4 yrs. Its basic common sense. Only the hardcore fans care about videos/screenshots in August and what do you guys do when you get them. You overanalyze them and nitpick them to death.

Look at the Live threads. They post a video, 10-15 people say they like it and then the next 200 posts are people complaining about hunched over backs, animations occurring too much, the speed of the game etc. Thats not good press. So if I'm 2k why would I waste money and man power creating videos and shots for people who will probably buy the game anyway. I would release the vids in September giving you less time to nitpick everything.

You can argue that advertising in August leads to better market share but you dont have any proof to back that up. Live advertised in August for Live 08 and 09. 2k didnt start until September for their games that year. 2k outsold them both years and increased its share. My point is the average consumer isnt even thinking basketball right now....they are playing Madden and NCAA. Or NHL. Or Tiger Woods.

# 56 HeavenlyTouch @ 08/12/09 05:15 PM
Quote:
I never suggested any of that. I stated that 2k has an advertising budget and marketing plan and that its worked the last 4 yrs. Its basic common sense. Only the hardcore fans care about videos/screenshots in August and what do you guys do when you get them. You overanalyze them and nitpick them to death.

Look at the Live threads. They post a video, 10-15 people say they like it and then the next 200 posts are people complaining about hunched over backs, animations occurring too much, the speed of the game etc. Thats not good press. So if I'm 2k why would I waste money and man power creating videos and shots for people who will probably buy the game anyway. I would release the vids in September giving you less time to nitpick everything.

You can argue that advertising in August leads to better market share but you dont have any proof to back that up. Live advertised in August for Live 08 and 09. 2k didnt start until September for their games that year. 2k outsold them both years and increased its share. My point is the average consumer isnt even thinking basketball right now....they are playing Madden and NCAA. Or NHL. Or Tiger Woods.
Did you ever try to think that they outsold them because of superior gameplay?

You did suggest it in the final statement in your post.

"They seem to be the only ones who realize that advertising in August doesnt equal sales."

And again in your second rebuttal:

My point is the average consumer isnt even thinking basketball right now....they are playing Madden and NCAA. Or NHL. Or Tiger Woods.

People will likely try both demos before making a decision anyhow on which to buy, that's the real hands on experience prior to buying a video game.

I love how people's comeback on this board are "you cant prove otherwise, so that means I'm right!", this is an appeal to ignorance.

People have become accustomed to presenting their opinions as facts online.

# 57 aholbert32 @ 08/12/09 06:38 PM
Quote:

"They seem to be the only ones who realize that advertising in August doesnt equal sales."

My point is the average consumer isnt even thinking basketball right now....they are playing Madden and NCAA. Or NHL. Or Tiger Woods.

People will likely try both demos before making a decision anyhow on which to buy, that's the real hands on experience prior to buying a video game.

I love how people's comeback on this board are "you cant prove otherwise, so that means I'm right!", this is an appeal to ignorance.

LOL. Its really simple. Your argument is that August advertising can effect sales. I asked you to show it by statistics or game sales and you cant. My counter is that Live has been doing this for the past 3 yrs and its had no effect on market share or sales. Thats it. Dont try to complicate it.

People (like you) complain about the lack of info in August when there is no business reason why 2k should release info this early.

# 58 KaptnKirk12 @ 08/12/09 07:09 PM
Quote:

Irony. You don't have any stats to back up your opinions either.

Nobody has said they were 100% right, it's just what they believe to be true based off their experiences and common knowledge of how advertising and marketing works.

# 59 gluck24 @ 08/13/09 10:28 AM
i have an important question im not really an xbox live guy but iwent out bought 1600 microsoft points... now if i create a new xbox live account and get a free month gold membership will i be able to download this demo? i need help please answer!!

# 60 Pared @ 08/13/09 10:31 AM
The Draft Combine is not a demo. It's a stand alone game.

It will cost 400 points, so you're good. Just add the points to your account and download it when it is released the last week in August.

You would only need XBL Gold for online play or the NBA 2k10 demo, which a date has not been finalized as of yet.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.