Home
NHL 2K10 News Post

2K Sports has just posted another NHL Developer Insights. This one going over the improved AI in NHL 2K10.

Quote:
"I enjoyed reading the feedback from the first few insights by Abe and myself. I am back now to explain what is new with AI. One of the compliments our hockey series always gets is that it feels organic. You don’t get that “scripted” feel when playing it. However, it has often seemed too chaotic at the same time; too many players would end up in the same spot, d-men were too worried about attacking the puck carrier rather than staying in position. So this year our biggest goal was to keep that natural feel while also giving players better assignments on the ice at all times. Whether it is on the puck, off the puck, on offense or defense, everything you see AI players do will be much smarter this year."

Game: NHL 2K10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 funky_chicken @ 08/14/09 05:42 PM
Really like what I read. The fact that the CPU is not going to be so hit happy is great to read. Position play as opposed to hit at all costs hockey. Really psyched for this game after reading this article.

# 2 slickdtc @ 08/14/09 05:54 PM
Really liking what we're being told. But of course, you won't really know for sure until you get the game (damn it!).

I'm really digging the new sliders. Hopefully the extremes (0 and 100) are really extreme. If I put stick lifting frequency on 0, I don't want to see ANY stick lifts. On 100, I want to see a ridiculous amount of stick lift attempts. Stuff like that.

Definitely love what I'm hearing. Sounds like this game will be very tweakable.

# 3 Eddie1967 @ 08/14/09 07:57 PM
Very nice. This game sounds like it will be incredible. Can't believe the overflow of information in the last week. September can't get here quick enough.

# 4 Flyermania @ 08/14/09 07:58 PM
If the sliders actually work like they say, this is showing a lot of promise!

# 5 Money99 @ 08/14/09 08:00 PM
These blogs have been incredible.
GM Personalities that shape what kind of team you'll face; better defensive AI, contextual animations reflective of players attributes...it all sounds awesome!

# 6 Eddie1967 @ 08/14/09 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
These blogs have been incredible.
GM Personalities that shape what kind of team you'll face; better defensive AI, contextual animations reflective of players attributes...it all sounds awesome!
It really does sound like a brand new game. So many different ways to make the game as sim/fun as possible.

# 7 savoie2006 @ 08/14/09 08:22 PM
This game is gonna be killer, bottom line!! I'm seriously questioning even buying NHL10 at this point. Of course I won't make that decision until I play the game, but still.

# 8 Money99 @ 08/14/09 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
This game is gonna be killer, bottom line!! I'm seriously questioning even buying NHL10 at this point. Of course I won't make that decision until I play the game, but still.
I know I'll be getting both.

But with each passing developers blog, my excitement level for 2K10 gets higher and higher.

# 9 Eddie1967 @ 08/14/09 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
NHL 10 is now a rental for me. I have to stay within my budget. 2k10 sounds unbelievable. Why anyone would have doubted them after seeing what VC did with their NBA game is beyond me, but it looks like they have created an incredible game of hockey. This game sounds like a huge improvement from top to bottom.

# 10 Flyermania @ 08/14/09 09:48 PM
As usual, I will get both...no way to properly evaluate either game on a rental or demo. Besides, I have no problem supporting hockey games as they are what I play 90% of the time.

# 11 onlybygrace @ 08/14/09 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
As usual, I will get both...no way to properly evaluate either game on a rental or demo. Besides, I have no problem supporting hockey games as they are what I play 90% of the time.
Same here...if its not hockey in my 360...well...my 360...

is probably off.

# 12 renatus @ 08/15/09 12:49 AM
i will get 1 game and i was almost sure it would be nhl10 but now... i´m torn..

still, i would like to know more about board play. EA seems to have got it done pretty well and this is a huge part of any self called NHL sim game

# 13 onlybygrace @ 08/15/09 01:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatus
i will get 1 game and i was almost sure it would be nhl10 but now... i´m torn..

still, i would like to know more about board play. EA seems to have got it done pretty well and this is a huge part of any self called NHL sim game
I would be torn if it weren't for NHL 10's atmosphere. The arena, while not as pretty as 2k, just sounds better and the crowds are really awesome.

Plus...scoring with the skill stick is really rewarding to me.

# 14 savoie2006 @ 08/15/09 02:43 AM
I'm not really torn anymore. Now I'm just anxious to play this game. If all these new sliders are effective and work properly and the Pro Stick is smooth, this game will be the one and only for me. The amount of ways to change how the game plays is simply astounding. I'll take odd looking Goalies and jerky Player Celebrations in exchange for this kind of depth. I'm sure 2K11 will smooth out those issues and others that may exist.

# 15 slickdtc @ 08/15/09 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Well talk is just that talk. 2k's now talking a good game, now that they've decided we're finally worthy of some actual info. I think raw footage on sim settings/higher difficulty along side the write ups would have gone a much longer way to sway me back, but I won't knock that the're finally saying something at the very least. Yeah it is astute or shrewd I suppose.
We're never going to see higher difficulty, simulation style settings gameplay videos pre-release (especially not from IGN, GameSpot, etc). So I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.

# 16 JimmyDeicide @ 08/15/09 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
Sounds like one will be able to create different CPU sliders settings for every CPU opponent, depending on their team's style of play. I'll be interested to see if the strategy settings are available to edit for CPU teams. It's the one thing missing from video hockey, as all teams typically play exactly the same.
Doesn't one of the blogs say that teams will have different personalities? will be interesting just how noticeable it will be.

I would think you would be all over this due to all the tweaking possibilities, you may even wait a week before you edit player ratings

# 17 We Want The Cup @ 08/15/09 02:30 PM
Not only can you edit each teams' strategies, but you can edit each lines' strats for all NHL teams and created teams.

# 18 We Want The Cup @ 08/15/09 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
couldn't you do that last year too.
Yes, but it almost didn't matter because the strategies were not as well implemented.

# 19 kai123 @ 08/15/09 02:51 PM
Quote:
Yeah 2kshare should be a really awesome addition. Not only slider sharing but rosters as well I thought I read.

Don't forget CAP's and draft classes!

# 20 MizzouRah @ 08/15/09 03:14 PM
Quote:
Well talk is just that talk. 2k's now talking a good game, now that they've decided we're finally worthy of some actual info. I think raw footage on sim settings/higher difficulty along side the write ups would have gone a much longer way to sway me back, but I won't knock that the're finally saying something at the very least. Yeah it is astute or shrewd I suppose.
I'm with you RealmK.. it all sounds good, but I'm going to hold off on 2k10 until I read impressions and reviews from places and people I trust.

I have no problems buying and playing two hockey games though!

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.