Home
NHL 2K10 News Post

2K Sports has just posted another NHL Developer Insights. This one going over the improved AI in NHL 2K10.

Quote:
"I enjoyed reading the feedback from the first few insights by Abe and myself. I am back now to explain what is new with AI. One of the compliments our hockey series always gets is that it feels organic. You don’t get that “scripted” feel when playing it. However, it has often seemed too chaotic at the same time; too many players would end up in the same spot, d-men were too worried about attacking the puck carrier rather than staying in position. So this year our biggest goal was to keep that natural feel while also giving players better assignments on the ice at all times. Whether it is on the puck, off the puck, on offense or defense, everything you see AI players do will be much smarter this year."

Game: NHL 2K10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Eddie1967 @ 08/15/09 03:28 PM
It sounds fun to be able to play two games of hockey because they both look really good, but I think it would be a problem adjusting to the different control styles for me anyway.

# 22 Eddie1967 @ 08/15/09 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Really the only difference in controls is a speed burst in 2k, and button combos with the deking vs full analog deking controls. Other than that they seem pretty similar this year in terms of controls.
In EA is the right stick for shooting?

# 23 Flyermania @ 08/15/09 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie1967
Yes.

# 24 JimmyDeicide @ 08/15/09 04:46 PM
Quote:
My sarcasm meter is on the fritz but are you serious? Where do you think 2k got it from?
Take the blinders of man.

# 25 MizzouRah @ 08/15/09 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
The same place EA got the idea -- from a ton of other games that use the R stick.
Idea or not, when they put that into their hockey game, it changed everything. 2k adopted it because it was innovative and what most gamers wanted 2k to change their scheme to.

# 26 Eddie1967 @ 08/15/09 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDeicide
My sarcasm meter is on the fritz but are you serious? Where do you think 2k got it from?
Take the blinders of man.
oh boy, all I can is I am what I am. I have never liked the skill stick and I haven't played NHL 09 in quite some time, so that's why I asked. I'm not into all of this they stole it from that one and blah blah blah, if it works then that's all that matters. I also wasn't aware that 2k has added that for this year, which it sounds like you are saying.

# 27 original6 @ 08/15/09 07:13 PM
Once again, great info, Cups. I'll still be waiting before buying this year, but definitely looking forward to seeing some gameplay footage.

# 28 MizzouRah @ 08/15/09 10:20 PM
Quote:
Right. And using the R stick to shoot and swing had been used in many games, including sports games, for years prior to that. Which was my point. Hardly innovative; simply a matter of time before it became the control scheme of choice in hockey games.
I was speaking hockey games.. but I can't think of any sports games off the top of my head that used the R stick for swinging prior to NHL 07. It was innovative in the sports genre, although you might know games I just can't think of right now.

# 29 We Want The Cup @ 08/16/09 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
I was speaking hockey games.. but I can't think of any sports games off the top of my head that used the R stick for swinging prior to NHL 07. It was innovative in the sports genre, although you might know games I just can't think of right now.

NHL Hitz Pro had it. NHL 2K6 had it with a modifier. That doesn't mean they were implemented as well, but the idea had been used for sure.

# 30 BigH2k6 @ 08/16/09 08:02 AM
Quote:
oh boy, all I can is I am what I am. I have never liked the skill stick and I haven't played NHL 09 in quite some time, so that's why I asked. I'm not into all of this they stole it from that one and blah blah blah, if it works then that's all that matters. I also wasn't aware that 2k has added that for this year, which it sounds like you are saying.
Thay had pro evolution for 2k9. It wasn't very well implemented though

# 31 TIm @ 08/16/09 09:31 AM
I was wondering, Could we get some videos showcasing these developer Insight blogs?? This game sounds really good on paper but we haven't seen enough with our own eyes for the sim players. Next Developer insight maybe attatch a video if possible???

# 32 Eddie1967 @ 08/16/09 09:34 AM
Quote:
That you even had to ask that shows how little you played of NHL09 or 08 or even 07 for that matter.
I don't see why anyone would be surprised. I'm not a fan of EA hockey or their skill stick.

# 33 JimmyDeicide @ 08/16/09 10:45 AM
Quote:

Huh 2k9 had it as well as bigH just said im sorry but i have to ignore your opinions from now on as you dont even know the ins and outs of your favorite game, and you sure as hell cant comment on 09 if you didnt know it had skill stick for shooting.

Im sorry sounds like you just glossed over everything in both games.

# 34 MizzouRah @ 08/16/09 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by We Want The Cup
NHL Hitz Pro had it. NHL 2K6 had it with a modifier. That doesn't mean they were implemented as well, but the idea had been used for sure.
Haven't played either game.. but thanks for the information.. I figured there were games, but since not much has been praised since NHL 07's implementation, I didn't know of any off the top of my head. (baa mentioned golf, which I thought of, but I don't remember when that took the place of the tri-click)

# 35 MizzouRah @ 08/16/09 12:21 PM
Quote:
And both MVP and MLB 2K had a swing stick in 06. Plus the R-stick was a staple in golf games in years previous to that.
Thanks.. I figured there had to be a baseball game and TW did have that at some point. MVP 06 was their NCAA franchise, so I never played it.

# 36 Eddie1967 @ 08/16/09 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDeicide
Huh 2k9 had it as well as bigH just said im sorry but i have to ignore your opinions from now on as you dont even know the ins and outs of your favorite game, and you sure as hell cant comment on 09 if you didnt know it had skill stick for shooting.

Im sorry sounds like you just glossed over everything in both games.
What's with all of the emotion. I never said that I didn't know that NHL 09 had the skill stick for shooting. I said I didn't like it and I said I couldn't remember what stick was used to shoot. I know all I need to know about NHL2K9. But let's forget about all of that. That's twice you have attempted to engage me with mindless bashing. Please calm yourself down and put me on ignore.

# 37 Eddie1967 @ 08/16/09 04:23 PM
Quote:
If the shoe fits and all that.
It's not working Realm, but keep trying if you must. Your negativity is beneath me.

# 38 slickdtc @ 08/16/09 05:27 PM
Quote:
No I fully know that. I meant raw footage from the team themselves to go along with these Dev Insight posts. If Littman can go out of his way to do it why can't Cups or Bish or Shadow or whoever make the extra effort to do the same thing? Its not the end of the world obviously, but it would be a pretty nice gesture.
If there's one thing that could've totally cemented these Dev Insight Blogs, it would've been video evidence. When the developer (WWTC, Abe, Bish) was talking up the new feature, it would've been the icing on the cake to post a video link after each tidbit clearly showing that this feature is in and this feature works.

We'll have to take their word for it. I'm not too concerned with this just because it's WWTC. He's one of us! One of us! One of us!

# 39 Eddie1967 @ 08/16/09 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
lol If I was the maker of these games and saw all the MEAN post towards my company. I wouldn't show you nothing.
I would add him to the "can't rent or by the game list". 3 years of trolling and being on my tail (see his negative posts towards me today, yesterday and every other day but oh no that's not trolling)because I like the game and now he's in their corner.

Oh well, I like what we are seeing so far and there are 4 more weeks to get some more great info before the release. Looking forward to another week of solid information.

# 40 Flyermania @ 08/16/09 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
lol If I was the maker of these games and saw all the MEAN post towards my company. I wouldn't show you nothing.
I think all game developers expect to see positive and negative comments on the game...they can't improve without feedback. 2k doesn't get it any worse than EA, Activision, Sony, or any of the developers out there.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.