Home
EA Sports MMA News Post

MIXED MARTIAL ARTS HALL OF FAMER
RANDY COUTURE BOLSTERS EA SPORTS MMA

Jay Hieron Also Joins Hard-Hitting Fighter Roster

REDWOOD CITY, Calif., - August 15, 2009 – Electronic Arts Inc., (NASDAQ: ERTS) announced today that Randy Couture, one of the most popular fighters in MMA history, will co-headline EA SPORTS™ MMA alongside recently announced, Fedor Emelianenko.

“I have been a part of MMA for over 10 years and I am excited about the global visibility that a game like EA SPORTS MMA will bring to the sport,” said Randy Couture. “Like my fighting career, I look forward to taking on all comers in EA SPORTS MMA.”

Randy Couture, a 6’1”, 220 pound heavyweight, who currently holds a 16-9 record and is a five-time MMA champion. Couture, a living legend in the MMA world, utilizes his wrestling expertise to take down and control opponents before finishing them off with ground and pound strikes. Couture is scheduled to fight at the end of this month against former Pride World Heavyweight Champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. In addition, this is not Couture’s first foray into the world of video games, as he was featured in EA’s Command & Conquer™: Red Alert™ 3 as Commander Warren Fuller.

Jay “The Thoroughbred” Hieron, a high-profile fighter, joins the EA SPORTS MMA roster and will be taking on Jesse Taylor in tonight’s STRIKEFORCE fight on in San Jose, California.

Hieron currently holds a 17-4 record and the Long Island native utilizes his wrestling prowess as his primary fighting style but has become a formidable striker as well. He fights out of Xtreme Couture in Las Vegas and was the last Welterweight Champion of the International Fight League.

EA SPORTS is sponsoring three fighters in the STRIKEFORCE event, including Jay Hieron, Gegard Mousasi, and Renato Sobral.

EA SPORTS MMA will feature the most authentic, intense and broad mixed martial arts experience to date – complete with a vast array of top fighters and fighting styles from around the world. EA SPORTS MMA will be available on the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system and the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system.

For more information about EA SPORTS MMA, visit http://www.easportsmma.com or follow the game on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/easportsmma.

EA Sports MMA screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: EA Sports MMAReader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
EA Sports MMA Videos
Member Comments
# 1 kennyacid @ 08/15/09 10:36 PM
Ive been thinking and this game might just be good. If they do it right. I just cant wait to see the full roster. If they didnt take a dump on Dana white and UFC when they first came up to them, they would have had an even better roster but hey, there are still alot of good fighters that arent in the UFC..and see that Randy Couture has signed on to be on the game I guess hes no longer in the UFC because Dana said if anyone signs..they gone.

# 2 Bona Fide @ 08/15/09 10:39 PM
Pretty sure Randy had already signed on before he came back to the UFC.

# 3 Wet Bandit @ 08/15/09 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyacid
Ive been thinking and this game might just be good. If they do it right.
Every game might be good if it's done right.

# 4 Whitesox @ 08/16/09 06:50 PM
I just want somethign similar to the Boxer Share. As long as that's in, I don't care if we get any roster...

# 5 aholbert32 @ 08/17/09 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesox
I just want somethign similar to the Boxer Share. As long as that's in, I don't care if we get any roster...
Couple of issues with that. One I can see Dana lining up his lawyers if he sees EA hosting CAFs of UFC fighters on its servers. I'm surprised that none of the boxers have sued EA about Fight Night. Two, maybe I'm the only one but I prefer developer created fighters over user created fighters. I've seen over 100 fighters on Boxer Share and maybe 8-10 have really looked like the fighters. Still havent seen a good Bernard Hopkins or a Mayweather.

# 6 ggazoo @ 08/17/09 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Still havent seen a good Bernard Hopkins or a Mayweather.
There's a picture-perfect Mayweather on the PS3. Too bad that we can't trade boxers between the consoles.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.