Home
NHL 10 News Post

EA has posted another NHL 10 10 blog. Are you hardcore?

Quote:
"Do you really think you’re Hardcore? Well this year we’ve added a game style just for you. We’ve even called the Game Style ‘Hardcore’ (there are also three other game styles that I’ll elaborate more on a little later). Before I get into the details of Hardcore Mode, let me back up a little bit to pre-production of NHL 10 which was the phase in the project where we tried to determine all the features that we wanted to add and figure out how we can squeeze it all into one year. It’s at this time that we collaborate the ideas that we have with the ideas that the community has suggested through the various forums to form the feature set. We decided that this was the year we were going to give our hardcore users the gameplay experience that they’ve been asking."

Game: NHL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 28 - View All
NHL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Nickflyers @ 08/19/09 07:25 AM
......sweet!!!!! Well i know what i'm doing when i'm out to sea this fall/winter!!!!!!(US Navy)

# 22 tabulaRasa @ 08/19/09 07:53 AM
Awesome! Especially the penalties in start stops. ANd the new physics.

# 23 Qb @ 08/19/09 09:36 AM
So much good stuff. I hope we can play hardcore mode in custom unranked online games. If there was a hardcore-only mandatory 6v6 EASHL subdivision, I would weep tears of joy...

# 24 akula @ 08/19/09 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickflyers
......sweet!!!!! Well i know what i'm doing when i'm out to sea this fall/winter!!!!!!(US Navy)
do you have high speed Internet on board?

# 25 akula @ 08/19/09 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
So much good stuff. I hope we can play hardcore mode in custom unranked online games. If there was a hardcore-only mandatory 6v6 EASHL subdivision, I would weep tears of joy...

i would hope and assume the "pro" division of EASHL IS hardcore and casual is regular.. please EA!

# 26 Redshirt_EA @ 08/19/09 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlybygrace
My biggest concern about hardcore passing is that it seems like one-timer passing seems like it is going to be difficult if the strength of a pass is determined by how long you hold down the R-trigger.

Also...how accurate to you need to be with the R-stick to get a pass directly to a guy??? Seems like a lot of room for error....which is realistic.

Oh...and with the obvious amount of human error on hardcore mode passing, is the CPU just as likely to make errors???

Maybe Flyermania, Redshirt or Chase can say something about this???
It'll be interesting to see what the learning curve is like for the hardcore passing. For myself I learned it as the tuning of the system was being done, so it was changing day to day (and I got to tune it to my liking ) so I can't say how that will correspond to what most people experience. At first I was skeptical that it would be at all possible to play, but after a while I got used to it and now I can get into a flow where I'm hitting passes almost as well as with the assisted passing (which is quite a bit less forgiving too for NHL10 by default).

I don't think hardcore passing will appeal to everyone, which is why it isn't the default, but I think those who want the extra control will love it.

The CPU passing is no different if you turn on hardcore passing, however you can increase CPU pass error if you like to level the playing field.

# 27 Redshirt_EA @ 08/19/09 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by akula
i would hope and assume the "pro" division of EASHL IS hardcore and casual is regular.. please EA!
For online games the passing is not the full hardcore passing, but it is MUCH less assisted than 09's passing was. You will see a lot more passes go astray (at least until people master it) and have more ability to play the puck into space. I think you'll understand why when you see what the learning curve for hardcore passing is like.

# 28 onlybygrace @ 08/19/09 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshirt_EA
It'll be interesting to see what the learning curve is like for the hardcore passing. For myself I learned it as the tuning of the system was being done, so it was changing day to day (and I got to tune it to my liking ) so I can't say how that will correspond to what most people experience. At first I was skeptical that it would be at all possible to play, but after a while I got used to it and now I can get into a flow where I'm hitting passes almost as well as with the assisted passing (which is quite a bit less forgiving too for NHL10 by default).

I don't think hardcore passing will appeal to everyone, which is why it isn't the default, but I think those who want the extra control will love it.

The CPU passing is no different if you turn on hardcore passing, however you can increase CPU pass error if you like to level the playing field.

Thanks...good job this year.

1000 posts...I'd like to thank my wife, my parents, and God of course...couldn't have done it without you guyz...oh...and all my fans...loyal bastards you are...and...what?...im a loser?...

oh...okay...nevermind then.

# 29 mdgoalie37 @ 08/19/09 11:26 AM
My biggest issue with 09 is right there in that hardcore video of the missed check - it's showed 10 times in a row. The sticks seem to pass right through each other as the check misses. Is collision detection fixed?

# 30 onlybygrace @ 08/19/09 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgoalie37
My biggest issue with 09 is right there in that hardcore video of the missed check - it's showed 10 times in a row. The sticks seem to pass right through each other as the check misses. Is collision detection fixed?
Well...you need to get right over that, dude. NO hockey game has ever had stick collision as the hardware we are playing on probably couldn't even compute something like that...plus the programming that would require would be insane.

A lot of sports games have collision issues, and hockey has stick collision issues. Get over it.

# 31 Qb @ 08/19/09 12:14 PM
Quote:
Well...you need to get right over that, dude. NO hockey game has ever had stick collision as the hardware we are playing on probably couldn't even compute something like that...plus the programming that would require would be insane.

A lot of sports games have collision issues, and hockey has stick collision issues. Get over it.
Easy, man. He raises a valid point and I thought the same thing watching that clip. You might be right that collision detection on that level may be a stretch, but there's no need to jump on someone for pointing something out.

This demo needs to come out before we all lose our minds.

And Redshirt, thanks for the input. If you can't tell, we're all just a tad excited to get our hands on this puppy. Keep up the good work...

# 32 Nickflyers @ 08/19/09 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by akula
do you have high speed Internet on board?
HAHAHAHHAHAHA!!! .....sadly no

# 33 mdgoalie37 @ 08/19/09 12:39 PM
Quote:

Christ, lay off the attitude. I had tons of times when I saw collision issues with skates, legs, pucks and even the ice. I noticed this especially last year when they patched the penalty occurances. You would put yourself in position to stop the puck with your skate and the puck, your opponents leg and/or the blade of your opponents stick would pass right through your guy. It seemed, probably not reality, but seemed, to result in a goal against you 90% of the time.
If a stick passes through a stick on occasion or even the above happened once in 10 games I wouldn't have any issues with it, but it happened way too often last season.

# 34 Nickflyers @ 08/19/09 12:40 PM
Quote:
Thanks...good job this year.

1000 posts...I'd like to thank my wife, my parents, and God of course...couldn't have done it without you guyz...oh...and all my fans...loyal bastards you are...and...what?...im a loser?...

oh...okay...nevermind then.
HAHAHA

# 35 Money99 @ 08/19/09 12:58 PM
I think I just...

# 36 Money99 @ 08/19/09 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Now this is hockey. Guys losing control of the puck when turning too quick or an unskilled player trying to deke, total control of passing off the boards, the puck not automatically sucked to a player's stick when it goes near them. That little clip of a scrum along the boards was teh awesome as well. Very very impressed.
Agreed Realm!
This blog answered all my questions and concerns.

But I'm still TICKED that the demo is being released tomorrow. I'll be half way to Winnipeg instead of sitting on my couch playing this game myself.

All of you lucky SOB's better chime in with impressions as much as possible!

# 37 onlybygrace @ 08/19/09 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgoalie37
Christ, lay off the attitude. I had tons of times when I saw collision issues with skates, legs, pucks and even the ice. I noticed this especially last year when they patched the penalty occurances. You would put yourself in position to stop the puck with your skate and the puck, your opponents leg and/or the blade of your opponents stick would pass right through your guy. It seemed, probably not reality, but seemed, to result in a goal against you 90% of the time.
If a stick passes through a stick on occasion or even the above happened once in 10 games I wouldn't have any issues with it, but it happened way too often last season.
Sorry man...i was...iwas ...i ....was a total asshat.

I like your city...philly...kewl place...uhm...thats all.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.