Home
NHL 10 News Post

The NHL 10 demo is available for the Xbox 360. Post your impressions here. The PS3 demo will be available next week.

NHL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NHL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 28 - View All
NHL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 TeamLogo @ 08/20/09 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Visualizer
Like someone else said they act weird in the neutral zone, constantly turning around when you dont let them carry over the blue line. They do this at least twice before trying to dump it if you have everything defended well.
Sounds like a good play to me. No reason to give it away unless you need a line change. Definitely no reason to walk into a trap. Circle back and get your attack together. Make the other team take it. Smart CPU play.

# 42 Qb @ 08/20/09 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamLogo
Sounds like a good play to me. No reason to give it away unless you need a line change. Definitely no reason to walk into a trap. Circle back and get your attack together. Make the other team take it. Smart CPU play.
It's usually called a "regroup" and teams like Detroit do it more than most. It's becoming more common again in the NHL with the latest fad empasis of being a "puck-possession" team. The real test will be if skilled lines/players are more likely to regroup while the grinders would just chip & chase.

On a related note, have any of you guys messed with the team strategies yet? I imagine they'll be the same, only more effective if the AI is indeed more active. It would be sweet if they expanded them to include more tendencies for team playing style, but I'm sure we would've heard about that kind of feature. Hopefully we can at least change a team's default settings, but again, I'm not too optimistic...

# 43 Spanky @ 08/20/09 10:55 AM
Are sliders the same as last year. I always thought they needed to be beefed up.

# 44 18 eighty 5 @ 08/20/09 10:58 AM
To the person who asked there does seem to be some recycled cut scenes.

But let me say boys, this really feels like a hockey game!!! I am really impressed. The passing is a thing of beauty, banking passes off the boards to get passed the cpu just opens up a whole world of creativity on the fly, just like real hockey!

That is probably one thing I am discovering more as I play this demo, it is far less predictable in terms of how the game plays out. Its the closest equivalent hockey has come to being a open world sandbox game that gives you the options to play the game how you want. I guess what I am banging on about is that this game allows you to get really creative. Wohooooooo creativity is a big part of skillful hockey!!!!

Ok, ok I am way pumped...

# 45 18 eighty 5 @ 08/20/09 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejacketsfan
Anyone know why this isnt on the PS3 yet? Just checked demos and it only had NHL 08 and 09.

Is it hard to score and do cross crease? Is fighting hard? Is board pinning hard? Ugh so many questions that I can't find out myself
Yeah I am finding it hard to score because the cpu ai is much smarter. You just can't walk it up the ice and ding a couple of shots at the goalie. The neutral zone has to be navigated. To be honest I am still in 'charge up the ice' mode and am finding that you really have to dump and chase and learn to pin and even on penalties, clearing becomes imperative.

It is just heaps of fun.

Pinning some fools on a dump in and battling is all so smooth, its really impressive.

Last year 2k9 killed 09 in board play but it was stilted, this feels quite organic and there is no warping or suction, just feels and looks the goods. On that note hitting is much better, not warping either and not all hits put skaters down.

I never do the cheese stuff so I can't comment but the goalies seem smarter and the new animations seem to give them more options to protect the net.

# 46 18 eighty 5 @ 08/20/09 11:06 AM
Arrgghhh I have to go to sleep, have to work in the morning (Australia)...but I want to keep playing and typing my thoughts hehe...

# 47 Ridgeberg @ 08/20/09 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
It's usually called a "regroup" and teams like Detroit do it more than most. It's becoming more common again in the NHL with the latest fad empasis of being a "puck-possession" team. The real test will be if skilled lines/players are more likely to regroup while the grinders would just chip & chase.

On a related note, have any of you guys messed with the team strategies yet? I imagine they'll be the same, only more effective if the AI is indeed more active. It would be sweet if they expanded them to include more tendencies for team playing style, but I'm sure we would've heard about that kind of feature. Hopefully we can at least change a team's default settings, but again, I'm not too optimistic...
I don't think there is anything wrong with the strategy, but something about it just doesn't look right. I think it has something to do with the skating/momentum engine. A CPU player will be steaming along and as a defender, whilst playing good position, you go to meet him at the blue line, the CPU player will spin on a dime to regroup. Then he'll start to run into some of the back-checking forwards and do a couple more spins and then dump the puck in.

I haven't messed too much with strategy, but I will do that now. I think it might play a bigger part in gameplay this year. For example, the CPU will forecheck HARD. Don't try to gather the puck behind your net and sit for a second, a forechecker will be right on you trying to create a turnover (which is AWESOME). I DARE you to try to skate the puck out of your own zone with Lilja or if you are even more daring, try making that first pass out of the zone with Lilja.

# 48 CallCenterZombie @ 08/20/09 11:14 AM
Guys, I'm stuck at work and have 1 question...Can you be a GOALTENDER in the prospects game and play with him like the litty video?

# 49 sweetjones @ 08/20/09 11:22 AM
In BAP Mode, can u change your line strategies at all? Either, on-the-fly or pause menu? Last year u was stuck on Overload, Behind the net, or Crash, ect. I hated that.

# 50 18 eighty 5 @ 08/20/09 11:23 AM
Realm how are the puck physics mate!!! Especially when a wicked shot has been wired on goal, it just seems to come alive after hitting the goalie. Not every shot mind (goalies certainly glove shots) but the loose puck physics at the goal are leaps ahead of 09.

I scored a great goal in desperation by just firing on net, the goalie had it tracked but it hit the leg of the only defender in the crease took a deflection and went in and it all looked like the real thing.

Alright, time to sleep.

# 51 Qb @ 08/20/09 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgeberg
I don't think there is anything wrong with the strategy, but something about it just doesn't look right. I think it has something to do with the skating/momentum engine. A CPU player will be steaming along and as a defender, whilst playing good position, you go to meet him at the blue line, the CPU player will spin on a dime to regroup. Then he'll start to run into some of the back-checking forwards and do a couple more spins and then dump the puck in.
That does sound kind of goofy and I think I remember seeing something similar in one of the gameplay vids. I'm not going to bother talking about the skating & momentum again and will save it for a more appropriate time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Agreed 100%. I'm also noticing that player seperation is there big time. Smaller players aren't going to floor guys to the ice on a regular basis and even with a larger checking player you really need to line up a hit well or you still just may graze the guy. Its the same thing with puck handling, unskilled puckhandlers WILL lose the puck if you try to turn too fast or deke too much.
Are you seeing that with CPU players as well? Will CPU Lilja turn it over on quick moves or a difficult break-out pass (to use Ridgeberg's example)?

# 52 onlybygrace @ 08/20/09 11:32 AM

I want live...

Uhm...so the impressions are really great. Glad to see Realm fallin' in love with it.

I have a question...I'm not gonna have Live for a week or so, but my neighbor has Live. I was wondering if I took MY hard drive over to his house, could I DL the demo onto my hard drive???

# 53 TerryP @ 08/20/09 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejacketsfan
Anyone know why this isnt on the PS3 yet? Just checked demos and it only had NHL 08 and 09.

Is it hard to score and do cross crease? Is fighting hard? Is board pinning hard? Ugh so many questions that I can't find out myself
I don't know anything about the rumor for the 27th on PS3, but I do know the Thurs. updates for the Playstation Store aren't usually 'til about 5PM Eastern.

# 54 onlybygrace @ 08/20/09 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlybygrace

I want live...

Uhm...so the impressions are really great. Glad to see Realm fallin' in love with it.

I have a question...I'm not gonna have Live for a week or so, but my neighbor has Live. I was wondering if I took MY hard drive over to his house, could I DL the demo onto my hard drive???
HEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOO!!!!

Anyone???

# 55 nyisles16 @ 08/20/09 11:52 AM
I don't see why not as it has your account on it-- actually you may need to "recover" your GT first... but it should work

Anyway.. I like it. Neat little touches have been added - like taking shots at the goalie after the whistle, the AI players will go after you.. just had one where I hit a guy after my goalie covered the puck - his teammate came in and pelted me.. needless to say, there was offsetting penalties called..

# 56 Nomah5 @ 08/20/09 11:56 AM
I'm enjoying the demo allot. I'm a new hockey fan and nhl 09 was the first game since the genesis days i played hockey. the show 09 and every other game has taken a back seat to nhl 09 since I bought it. With that said nhl 10---HELL YES. LOVE it. The best part---Cant score!! I have played 3 games and only scored an empty net goal. LOL. The physics are great and so love board play.
The only concern I have--it seems there is so much talk of dump and chase plays. The cpu does that allot as well. Is that the only way to play the game this year? Maybe too much emphasis was put on that? I know I am no longer able to play nhl 09 from this day on!

# 57 onlybygrace @ 08/20/09 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorismary
Yes it should work just like a memory card
*clears throat*

Thank You.

# 58 onlybygrace @ 08/20/09 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
In a word? The best they've been in the NHL series thus far imo. I can't count how many goal mouth scrambles in front of the net I'm seeing with the puck making crazy deflections off skates, sticks, posts etc.

Being able to wind up and blast away on a loose puck without first gaining control of it was so desperately needed as an addition as well. Whats even more satisfying? almost getting hauled down on a breakaway, stumbling and wiring it top shelf. Just had it happen to me after a good 20 or so games, Dupuis got nearly hauled down on a breakaway where I was able to make a breakout pass while catching the CPU on a bad line change and he stumbled to his knees and wired it over Osgood's glove. Next face off the CPU gets it deep into my zone, gets a great shot on goal on the ensuing rebound Kopecky tries to bat it in, and Fluery spins around with the blocker to knock the puck to the corner.

Every game I'm seeing little plays like that its just unbelievable how good the game feels this year.
Realm...this is more than I can take...not being able to play this game.

# 59 ezio @ 08/20/09 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorismary
thanks I didnt know the TIME but I did it last year with nba live.
I just checked the list for the UK and it is not there for the ps3.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2009/...h-august-2009/

# 60 sweetjones @ 08/20/09 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetjones
In BAP Mode, can u change your line strategies at all? Either, on-the-fly or pause menu? Last year u was stuck on Overload, Behind the net, or Crash, ect. I hated that.
In BAP Mode, can u change your line strategies at all?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.