Home
NBA 2K10: Draft Combine News Post

Game: NBA 2K10: Draft CombineReader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 2 - View All
NBA 2K10: Draft Combine Videos
Member Comments
# 21 bigballa21 @ 08/21/09 06:05 PM
the animations are so fluid and these are just created players.... i think i saw a alley-oop layin that was nice...the trailer overall didn't really tell us anything we didn't know already but it was nice to delve a little deeper...i think... no i hope this is the last video on the combine so that we can finally get to the meat and potatoes cause 2k is really squeezing every last drop of marketing this combine and i'm kinda getting tired of it lol

# 22 Jano @ 08/21/09 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbleweed
Of course it's more fluid... it's 2K who has piled animations on top of animations for the last 4 years, it's a pre-made and rendered trailer showing the things they want you to see... the Live video was some German dudes playing like morons on the lowest difficulty setting. Not a fair comparison in the least. Until amateur GamesCom videos leak for 2K10, that comparison is apples to oranges.

Anyway, looks good, same smooth animations as last year. Can't tell anything about user control until I play the game though... videos always look nice for 2K games, but that doesn't mean the game plays nice.
I get what your saying stumble and I agree there is a huge difference between looking good and playing good.

Last year I felt like 2K looked great but in terms of control and overall gameplay it was okay. While Live looked downright terrible at times I felt it played a solid game of bball.

Having smooth animations is nice but if it doesn't translate well when I'm actually playing it won't matter to me.

This is why I was able to enjoy Live last year because it played well imo. I will take playing well over looking well almost every time.

Because that is what will keep me playing over the course of a year. Nice animations will only hold me for so long if the gameplay itself isn't that hot which was the case in 2K9.

# 23 NINJAK2 @ 08/21/09 06:10 PM
Quote:
Well until they give us a real video, not a trailer, that'll be my stance, which is perfectly reasonable given how disappointing 2K9 was for me. I had the same skepticism about Live, but they're provided a TON of information over the last 2 months and 95% of it has eased my mind and I get the indication that it will be a good-to-great game this year. The movement looks better from that 2 second clip of the cone drill, but again, it's a developer video -- they're not gonna show a guy skittering past the cones and spinning in place like he would have in 2K9. Gotta apply a common sense lens to some of these things as well as a critical eye.

No offense taken. I think everyone should be looking at the videos with a skeptical eye though, since every 2K game on next-gen has these buttery animations but have performed to varying degrees of success when it comes to the final product... animations don't mean it's a great game. People who loved 2K9 are probably in heaven watching these vids, but 2K9 was incredibly disappointing to me.
Alright Stumble. I'll leave you alone on this. You certainly were way more dissapointed with 2k9 than I so that explains your pessimism. I certainly had my issues with it as well but not nearly to the point of frustration as you and others.

You can say it was a developer showing off the cone drill as the reason it looked better, but again there is no way a dev could have done that with 2k9. i'd love to see it...that tells me that something may have changed "under the hood" with 2k10.

You continue to be doubtful and I'll continue to be optimistic and we will balance each other out man.

# 24 Stumbleweed @ 08/21/09 06:11 PM
@Jano

Exactly, and the under-the-hood stuff (from DNA feeding into 60 ratings to authentic playsets to being able to choose how you cover the pick and roll with an OTF menu) has really impressed me for Live. Until 2K starts talking specifics, I'm leaving my judgment open -- they haven't given us much of anything, so it would be unfair to compare the two right now.

# 25 SageInfinite @ 08/21/09 06:13 PM
Quote:
Well until they give us a real video, not a trailer, that'll be my stance, which is perfectly reasonable given how disappointing 2K9 was for me. I had the same skepticism about Live, but they're provided a TON of information over the last 2 months and 95% of it has eased my mind and I get the indication that it will be a good-to-great game this year. The movement looks better from that 2 second clip of the cone drill, but again, it's a developer video -- they're not gonna show a guy skittering past the cones and spinning in place like he would have in 2K9. Gotta apply a common sense lens to some of these things as well as a critical eye.

No offense taken. I think everyone should be looking at the videos with a skeptical eye though, since every 2K game on next-gen has these buttery animations but have performed to varying degrees of success when it comes to the final product... animations don't mean it's a great game. People who loved 2K9 are probably in heaven watching these vids, but 2K9 was incredibly disappointing to me.
Totally agree. With that said I can't wait until this thing comes out so we can focus on NBA 2K10.

# 26 GSW @ 08/21/09 06:15 PM
You know what... Im a totaly unbias personand last year i was dissapointed with 2k9

but this looks hot.

aint no future in my frontin

# 27 NINJAK2 @ 08/21/09 06:17 PM
Quote:
@Jano

Exactly, and the under-the-hood stuff (from DNA feeding into 60 ratings to authentic playsets to being able to choose how you cover the pick and roll with an OTF menu) has really impressed me for Live. Until 2K starts talking specifics, I'm leaving my judgment open -- they haven't given us much of anything, so it would be unfair to compare the two right now.
82 games.com (utilizing stats that tell how often players shoot off dribbles, screens ,etc.), 36 new player tendencies, new playcalling dynamic. There is info out there, 2k just needs to expand on it which is what you are waiting on. Be cool Stumble.

# 28 Stumbleweed @ 08/21/09 06:19 PM
Heh, but the 2K Insider and his goons are still doing the ratings. In any case, all those things are incredibly vague and tell us next to nothing, so I'm waiting for real info, which will be pouring out in the next 2 weeks I'm sure.

# 29 kurt2134 @ 08/21/09 06:20 PM
Looks really good. The animations are all perfect so I can't even imagine what the full game will look like.

# 30 Jamin23 @ 08/21/09 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcxiv
Well, i been told that OS is in the offices right now. Sooo. THey may have more info for ya.
Today or Monday?

# 31 Goffs @ 08/21/09 06:23 PM
Quote:
Heh, but the 2K Insider and his goons are still doing the ratings. In any case, all those things are incredibly vague and tell us next to nothing, so I'm waiting for real info, which will be pouring out in the next 2 weeks I'm sure.
im hoping the questions that we sent be answered today! hmm we're talking west coast time no? still early then...

# 32 NINJAK2 @ 08/21/09 06:26 PM
Quote:
It tells us that they are changing their approach and using new tools to determine ratings/tendencies. You think that's nothing? Especially when tendencies and ratings were one of 2k's biggest flaws. of course we don't know how well they will be implemented, but the fact that they went out and aligned themselves with a company many were saying they should have hooked up with long ago says something. Atleast it should imo.

# 33 noshun @ 08/21/09 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
It tells us that they are changing their approach and using new tools to determine ratings/tendencies. You think that's nothing? Especially when tendencies and ratings were one of 2k's biggest flaws. of course we don't know how well they will be implemented, but the fact that they went out and aligned themselves with a company many were saying they should have hooked up with long ago says something. Atleast it should imo.
Also to add, this Draft Combine should help a lot of people learn the game instead of running around the court like mad men trying to do anything. Its helping those that know how to play improve, and those that may not know enough to learn how to play, be effective and efficient.

# 34 cam21224 @ 08/21/09 06:38 PM
Liked what I saw, well everything except the return of that ugly block animation(at the beginning of the vid), nice to finally see alley-oop lay-ins make a return.

This combine needs to hurry up and come out, so we can get that good ol 2k10 news.

# 35 Bornindamecca @ 08/21/09 06:39 PM
That stop and pop midrange jumper was a sight to see. I hope that's as fluid and tight to control as it looks. if it is, it's gonna be a good year.

# 36 tanner99 @ 08/21/09 06:58 PM
cant wait for the demo of the combine. im still killing myself to decide between 2k and live

# 37 The 24th Letter @ 08/21/09 07:08 PM
looks great imo.....the game definitely looks more fluid...i seriously doubt that the dribbling drill was cgi lol unless "evil same engine pile animation something something mike wang" 2k fooled us again.....

# 38 shindiana @ 08/21/09 07:18 PM
Cyberfaces!!!

This is great, not only for myplayer mode but for custom draft classes as well!

# 39 Stumbleweed @ 08/21/09 07:19 PM
24th, if you're referring to me, I said nothing of the sort. I just said that it's an edited trailer (which it undeniably is), so they're not going to show a player skittering around, they'll show a perfect take of the drill. It's not CGI... that would be completely obvious.

I'm not really concluding anything from the 2 seconds of dribbling through cones they showed, I'm just saying that people proclaiming the end to movement issues are probably jumping the gun since it's a cherry-picked video, not an off-screen shot of someone playing the game. Until we play the game ourselves or see someone who isn't a developer playing it, then we have no clue how the movement is.

Glad OS is in the offices -- should be getting some real info finally!

# 40 Muzyk23 @ 08/21/09 07:20 PM
is the Combine representative of what 2k10 will play and look like? ANYONE?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.