Home
NBA 2K10: Draft Combine News Post

2K Sports has just posted another NBA Developer Insight. This one featuring NBA 2K10 Draft Combine - My Player Mode.

Quote:
"Hey NBA 2K fans, this is Erick Boenisch, and I’m back for another exclusive developer Insight. Today I’m going to talk about our all-new My Player career mode. Before we get into the meat and potatoes of the mode, let me take a few sentences to show you the design process we went through as a development team in creating this new mode.

Early in the production cycle, we identified three key concepts that we wanted to mold My Player around:

1) Authenticity. We don’t believe that starting you off at the end of the bench on an NBA team is a realistic, fun, OR rewarding experience. Where is the sense of progression if your career starts off in the NBA? You deserve more than that.

2) NBA is a Team Sport. Piggybacking off of the Authenticity point, we felt that emphasizing team play over ‘me first’ play was very important in our design. Players who try to overly-dominate the ball and/or otherwise play in a fashion that is detrimental to the overall success of their team will not reap the rewards this mode has to offer. On the other hand, those who respect their teammates, set picks on offense, box out for rebounds, double team when called for, will earn a much larger amount of Skill Points in addition to better grabbing the attention of the NBA scouts who are looking to fill their teams.

3) Pace/Dynamism. With all of the depth that we have added to this mode, we didn’t want you languishing in any one aspect of it for an unnecessarily long period of time. A key element to this is targeting what you want to do when you play the mode, and making sure that’s what you’re doing. From the time you create your player, every single game you play means something; every game can make or break where your career takes you next. When you talk to your friends about their career, it likely will have taken a completely different path from yours. We love that!"

Game: NBA 2K10: Draft CombineReader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 2 - View All
NBA 2K10: Draft Combine Videos
Member Comments
# 21 pilonv1 @ 08/25/09 10:32 PM
So does this mean then that you can improve your My Player from online Pick-Up games? What's to stop someone playing Pick-Up online constantly and improving? Am I missing something?

# 22 Parasight @ 08/25/09 10:33 PM
I don't think this was ever covered: Can we change positions in the midst of our career? I mean if I'm a SG, I should be able to easily slide over to SF. I know they mentioned that if we land in Golden State and we're SF, we may have to play PF. But I was moreso wondering if we could change our position manually, for online purposes.

# 23 DirtyJerz32 @ 08/25/09 10:37 PM
Sold. Actually I was sold before but, I'm ALL in now.

# 24 nykfan11 @ 08/25/09 10:38 PM
So if your an important part of the team(like 6th man) and have a stretch of bad games, you can get sent to the D-league?

# 25 Onpoint17 @ 08/25/09 10:43 PM
Okay, I must officially be a 2K fan. I just got chills from reading that insight. I wasn't really gonna play that mode cause I love my Association. But this really sounds like its gonna be fun and challenging and really give you an appreciation of how hard you have to work to be in the NBA.

# 26 thereginator28 @ 08/25/09 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykfan11
So if your an important part of the team(like 6th man) and have a stretch of bad games, you can get sent to the D-league?
I'm assuming you'll see a decline in minutes before you get sent down.

On another note, he also said that teams will look to the D-League if injuries occur pr if the waive someone. Any chance we see the CPU do this in Association?

# 27 jr2424 @ 08/25/09 10:48 PM
This mode will add so much replay for 2k10. There are certain times I don't always want to play my association and this is the perfect option. Between this and association, my free time is over.

# 28 Fiasco West @ 08/25/09 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr2424
This mode will add so much replay for 2k10. There are certain times I don't always want to play my association and this is the perfect option. Between this and association, my free time is over.
If the gameplay is good, and everything is solid...think of the replay value.

5 positions and all those different styles, each (supposedly) with different goals.

This may take considerable amount away from my association playing.

# 29 BroMontana82 @ 08/25/09 11:05 PM
so tomorrow will we be able to play team up with 9 other people online??

# 30 Pared @ 08/25/09 11:05 PM
...just crazy.

Sounds like the best career mode we've seen.

Now, let's see how the execution goes...

# 31 akiracy @ 08/25/09 11:12 PM
i wanna know how the graphics will be in bench cam, will the other bench players have higher poly counts, while the on court players have lower? or is it the same as it is normally

# 32 tehova @ 08/25/09 11:12 PM
this might be the end of franchise mode for me

OS League, My Player

# 33 Bornindamecca @ 08/25/09 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehova

OS League, My Player
You ain't lyin', dude.

# 34 bigballa21 @ 08/25/09 11:20 PM
it just keeps getting better and better it will be hard for any one to find something negative about this...it sounds amazing

# 35 Pared @ 08/25/09 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehova

OS League, My Player
Just wait until we get an OS Crew.

No one will be getting their league games in.

# 36 bowdown2shadi @ 08/25/09 11:37 PM

Amazing. Can't wait to try this mode.

# 37 Stumbleweed @ 08/25/09 11:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornindamecca
I'm so psyched about this mode its not even funny.
Yep, it's the main selling point of 2K10 for me right now actually. Nothing else has really grabbed me, but it sounds like they put a lot of thought into the mode... having the D-League and Summer League really makes a difference in the authenticity level. I'm happy an NBA game finally did this... hopefully it's well-done on the first attempt (few things are, but I have my fingers crossed because I'm very interested in this).

EDIT: Also, if I can't create my player with customizable dance moves on the bench, I'm not buying this game.

# 38 youvalss @ 08/25/09 11:45 PM
Stern probably has this line saying: "No, I don't think you're going to help the NBA sell more merchandises in China. See you on the D-League!".

# 39 DirtyJerz32 @ 08/25/09 11:54 PM
I'm really pumped up for the game. My Player may take over the way sports games are played on video games. If the online issues are taken care of this may go down as the best sports game feature in history. Not saying the reinvinted the wheel or anything. But, it sound like it's gonna be the real deal.

# 40 pilonv1 @ 08/25/09 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thereginator28
On another note, he also said that teams will look to the D-League if injuries occur pr if the waive someone. Any chance we see the CPU do this in Association?
Would be great if they do keep D-League stats and this happens.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.