Home
NHL 2K10 News Post

Looks like no demo for NHL 2K10.

Quote:
"The team has been hard at work rebuilding the NHL 2K franchise from the ground up. Because we’ve poured every resource we have into this game, we made a strategic decision not to release a demo."

Game: NHL 2K10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 adayinthelife @ 09/02/09 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Not releasing a demo sounds bad. But a bad demo like NCAA 10 can do more harm than good. If you do a demo you have to do it right.

Quite frankly, I think companies would be better off making a demo from the final build and releasing it a few weeks after the game comes out anyways. The people that will buy it will buy it regardless. And the people on the fence will have a high quality demo to judge the game with.
This is an excellent point and definitely something I think they should look at. A few of us will probably rent it on day one but most others will get NHL 10 and most likely forget 2k10 even exists - for that reason even doing a post-release demo would be a good plan. Also someone said earlier that if you don't have 8 bucks for a rental you shouldn't be spending 60 on a game. Logical yes, but in reality some people just think differently when spending money depending on what they're buying. Also some of us might have a nice cache of late fines built up..

# 42 18 eighty 5 @ 09/02/09 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
1) Come to our office in Novato, CA (just north of San Francisco) We are so ecstatic about this game that we will accept a visit any day of the week.
2) Check out the game at The Best Buy in New York City on 622 Broadway, New York, NY 10012
3) Check the game out at the NHL Store in New York City on 1185 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10036. You will get a special opportunity
Well how does this help me...I am in Australia!!! Arghhhhhhhhhhh! No demo come on, what year are we living in? This game doesn't release here again this year so no chance at renting it first either!

I bet if I even arranged to especially fly to the States and go to one of these places as soon as I walk in the door I would be told 'I'm sorry, we had to pull the game from showcasing for now. We assure you it will be back on in two weeks after the game is released. Sory about that, hope you didn't have to travel far, good day then, bye bye.'

This game should be released with two wooden forks so we can all poke ourselves in the eyes just to remember this is how 2k treats would be customers!

I am soooooooo annoyed. I just feel like 2k says one thing about listening to the fans and then does another thing to cause dissapointment.

OK, my rant is over. Yes I will still order this game because I love hockey too much and I do think they will have a better product than last year. Arrrghhhhhhh!

# 43 VanCitySportsGuy @ 09/02/09 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Not releasing a demo sounds bad. But a bad demo like NCAA 10 can do more harm than good. If you do a demo you have to do it right.

Quite frankly, I think companies would be better off making a demo from the final build and releasing it a few weeks after the game comes out anyways. The people that will buy it will buy it regardless. And the people on the fence will have a high quality demo to judge the game with.
As long as the pre-release demo isn't vastly different from the final build, I still feel like it's better for companies to release a demo before the release date.

If the demo is good, some people will go out and pre-order or at least set aside the money to buy it on Day 1. If you release a demo, let's say 3 weeks after the release date, the consumer may no longer have that $50-$60 to spend on the game even if they liked the demo.

By releasing a demo before release date, it also builds buzz (assuming it's good).

# 44 davep @ 09/02/09 07:17 PM
That's unfortunate. I used to play the 2k series and then switched over to EA 2 years ago and really enjoyed it.

This year I really dug the EA demo but was going to hold out until I played the 2k demo. EA is a known quantity for me and it's fun, while 2k is still an unknown. EA is getting my $60 this year since I only have time for 1 hockey game.

# 45 18 eighty 5 @ 09/02/09 07:20 PM
I think even if 2k10 is the better game Ea's will score higher in the reviews and will sell more units. The PR for 2k10 is just so scarce its hard to find anything new about teh all of the big promises apart from 2k team members saying they are all there.

What I would be looking for in the 2k10 demo beyond the intros would be the promises on graphical improvements but more importantly how the game plays! If the stick handling and skating are smoother, the smartness of the ai etc, etc.

# 46 adayinthelife @ 09/02/09 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierce Robot
I think even if 2k10 is the better game Ea's will score higher in the reviews and will sell more units. The PR for 2k10 is just so scarce its hard to find anything new about teh all of the big promises apart from 2k team members saying they are all there.

What I would be looking for in the 2k10 demo beyond the intros would be the promises on graphical improvements but more importantly how the game plays! If the stick handling and skating are smoother, the smartness of the ai etc, etc.
I'm not sure NHL 10 would score higher if it's not truly the better game; the past iterations of 2k's NHL series got very high ratings (and higher than EA's) when they deserved them.

Gameplay is definitely the key which is why there's all this complaining regarding the no demo. You can make pretty much any current gen game look good via screen shots..

# 47 Eddie1967 @ 09/02/09 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
Not that this really surprises me, but you're really going to judge a game on a 5-minute period demo where you can't adjust any of the sliders? Wow.

Unfortunately for 2k, not releasing a demo can also serve a purpose and send a message to gamers who were on the fence about buying the game in the first place. Just look at some of the responses in this thread.
First of all I think it takes guts to not put out a demo at all. Instead of being negative about it, I believe it's them showing what confidence they do have in their product. It sounds like their plan is to sell the game by word of mouth from the fans and the gaming site reviews, plus the 10 dollar discount doesn't hurt. I think that's a good way to do things myself.If I have said it once I have said it a thousand times, EA is the king of marketing, demos, blogs, etc., but they also IMHO put out the most mediocre sports games. Just think about the absolute hype that madden had pre release (just like every year) and go read the complaint thread or whatever it's called.

By the way, what's the problem with judging NHL 10 by their demo. Isn't that what people here are talking about, having the 2k demo so that they can make a choice. Why would YOU call it a bad marketing decision (AND YOU DID) for 2k not to release a demo (because having a demo can sell the game) but question my decision not to purchase NHL 10 because I played that demo? Make up your mind.

By the way I'm not concerned about the game-play in NHL 10, that seems fine, but the generic arena's and sub-par presentation really took away the interest I had in purchasing that game. Generic equals boring to me. I need true presentation with all the bells and whistles.

# 48 Keirik @ 09/02/09 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
1) Come to our office in Novato, CA (just north of San Francisco) We are so ecstatic about this game that we will accept a visit any day of the week.
2) Check out the game at The Best Buy in New York City on 622 Broadway, New York, NY 10012
3) Check the game out at the NHL Store in New York City on 1185 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10036. You will get a special opportunity

This is real close to me. I might do this. Oh yeah I will do this. It sounds like a lot of work to make this happen. I don't know if I am going to go through all that. But I am sure we will get some good feedback.
yeah, tons of work. 3 places in all of North America can showcase this game.

Hats off 2k! ugh

# 49 Keirik @ 09/02/09 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie1967
Hey I feel what your saying but who's to say they won't steal EA fans even without a demo. Some people purchase games based on the gaming site reviews and everything we had read so far has been nothing but positive. I have a feeling the final version will have positive reviews too. If that's the case then I don't see why that alone won't increase sales. Heck Madden (and I have to go there) gets glowing reviews year after year and I believe that has a definite impact on whether people purchase that game or not.

People are so quick to take negative 2k reviews as gospel, well let's see how they react to positive reviews. I'm not saying the demo is worthless, but it's not happening this year so the fence sitters have to rent the game and/or read the reviews to see if it's worth buying.
1. who's to say?
How about the majority of people who don't even know 2k has a game, let alone purchase anything besides the conglomerate EA has become

2. people are so quick to take negative 2k reviews as gospel
-how about this is just yet another bullet in the arsenal for the ney-sayers. Great job by 2k.
3. the fence sitters
- The fence sitters are not the majority of gamers. The majority of gamers do NOT do rent before buy. If you're trying to say the 2k sales pitch was to not put out a demo to force people to rent before buying or go on positive feedback, then god help 2k once again.

for the love of god, 2k every year takes one more step in the grave with both this series and their mlb game.

# 50 Eddie1967 @ 09/02/09 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keirik
1. who's to say?
How about the majority of people who don't even know 2k has a game, let alone purchase anything besides the conglomerate EA has become

-how about this is just yet another bullet in the arsenal for the ney-sayers. Great job by 2k.
3. the fence sitters
- The fence sitters are not the majority of gamers. The majority of gamers do NOT do rent before buy. If you're trying to say the 2k sales pitch was to not put out a demo to force people to rent before buying or go on positive feedback, then god help 2k once again.

for the love of god, 2k every year takes one more step in the grave with both this series and their mlb game.

I don't believe that's true, I believe plenty of gamers know that 2k has a hockey game, but EA has a following like no other (repeat statement yes but true).

I don't think that 2k is looking for rentals to sell their game but if the game is well received by the gaming sites then that will go a long way in selling the game IMHO. There is a game play video up right now, and no it's not like having the game in your hands but it does show a lot of what the game has to offer, not to mention the person playing seems to know what he is doing. Check it out and see if it does anything for you. The fence sitters have to stop making excuses. There is no demo coming out period, end of story, so rent the game and read the gaming sites make a decision from there.

I know money is tight for a lot of folks and 8 bucks to rent is nothing to sneeze at for some but if you are looking for a game to buy, and are considering spending 60 dollars then why not rent and possibly save your self some money in the long run. That's what I would do. Fortunately for me, my mind is made up.

# 51 Flyermania @ 09/02/09 09:39 PM
Quote:
First of all I think it takes guts to not put out a demo at all. Instead of being negative about it, I believe it's them showing what confidence they do have in their product.
Most people would feel the opposite...that they don't have the confidence to put their product on display on a risk-free free demo basis.

Quote:
If I have said it once I have said it a thousand times, EA is the king of marketing, demos, blogs, etc., but they also IMHO put out the most mediocre sports games.
But what are you basing your opinion on? You've said yourself you haven't purchased EA's hockey game in years. You and I both know a demo is not a fair way to judge a title...same goes for 2k's games. A demo just isn't deep enough and doesn't give enough options.

Quote:
Why would YOU call it a bad marketing decision (AND YOU DID) for 2k not to release a demo (because having a demo can sell the game) but question my decision not to purchase NHL 10 because I played that demo? Make up your mind, you seem confused.
I'm not confused at all. You're missing the entire point on casual gamers...people that are on-the-fence about buying the game were looking at the demo to help them make their decision. You haven't purchased an EA hockey game in years, so the odds of their demo swaying you to purchase the game was slim.

I still stand by my statement that no demo is a horrible marketing decision. More times than not, a demo can have a positive impact on the decision making process. You and I will both buy 2k10 regardless, but at this point 2k needs to win over as many consumers as they can to keep the series afloat. Just take look at the feedback in this thread...most people are unable to rent the game, and won't plunk down $50 on the game sight unseen.

Word of mouth alone will not do the trick...2k's series had better reviews 4-5 years ago, but they still were dominated in sales. I guess you, Scott, and I will need to buy multiple copies.

# 52 CarryTheWeight @ 09/02/09 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keirik
1. who's to say?

3. the fence sitters

What if the game, God forbid, happens to be great? Yes, they probably won't get sales right away but if word of mouth spreads we could be talking about...

....wait. Here I go with the "word of mouth" stuff again. Highly, highly unlikely. Groundbreaking titles like Portal, "cult games" like Psychonauts and older NHL games like Hitz Pro thrive and survive on word of mouth. So far, we haven't seen if 2K10 has the "it factor" the games I listed above have. Heck, we don't know what kind of "factor" it has going for it in the first place!

So, to make a long story short, who knows what's going to happen. I used this line in a post about 5-6 months to a year ago, but Jerry Cantrell of Alice In Chains opened the song "Grind" with the line, "don't plan my funeral 'til the body dies". I say we wait to conclude how good or bad 2K10 is. Yes, the marketing leaves a heck of a lot to be desired...but we don't know whether or not this game or series will fail until it does. I'm certain many people here are upset but are still willing to give the game a shot. If you don't want to, don't bother. But you can't say it sucks until...it sucks. God forbid the game actually surprises you! And no, that wasn't a "fanboy statement", it's an optimist's statement. I'm just that kind of person.

# 53 Eddie1967 @ 09/02/09 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
Most people would feel the opposite...that they don't have the confidence to put their product on display on a risk-free free demo basis.

But what are you basing your opinion on? You've said yourself you haven't purchased EA's hockey game in years. You and I both know a demo is not a fair way to judge a title...same goes for 2k's games. A demo just isn't deep enough and doesn't give enough options.

I'm not confused at all. You're missing the entire point on casual gamers...people that are on-the-fence about buying the game were looking at the demo to help them make their decision. You haven't purchased an EA hockey game in years, so the odds of their demo swaying you to purchase the game was slim.

I still stand by my statement that no demo is a horrible marketing decision. More times than not, a demo can have a positive impact on the decision making process. You and I will both buy 2k10 regardless, but at this point 2k needs to win over as many consumers as they can to keep the series afloat. Just take look at the feedback in this thread...most people are unable to rent the game, and won't plunk down $50 on the game sight unseen.

Word of mouth alone will not do the trick...2k's series had better reviews 4-5 years ago, but they still were dominated in sales. I guess you, Scott, and I will need to buy multiple copies.

y

Yeah we might have to. I'm such a fan no one would believe a word I said about the game anyway. At least not in these forums.

I do understand the fence sitters not wanting to just throw away 50 bucks and finding the game at rental places is very hard to do nowadays. I said that the demo wasn't totally useless, but I guess the game play vids and the gaming sites will have to do.

I also understand that demos don't always do sports games justice. In the case of EA, I really like the game play but they haven't put enough into the presentation for me. If it was based just on the game play that demo would have sold it for me.

# 54 MizzouRah @ 09/02/09 11:05 PM
To me, it makes me think they are not confident in their product.. that maybe something about the game just isn't right.

I hope I'm wrong... at this point though, I'm going to wait on impressions and reviews before putting down my $50.00. So much for my pre-order. I'm just not confident the game play is going to keep me interested.

# 55 TIm @ 09/02/09 11:15 PM
Wow...Eddie and Scott... From this thread to the Video thread you guys are amazing... I recall someone creating a vid for you guys ... A series called the Love boat... You to should start your own thread and talk amongs yourselves in it.... Both of you are all over people who are mad, don't like 2k hockey, all kinds of things... You guys truthfully especially in these last couple of threads are really sickening... The lovefest is simply amazing to me... I'm all for a good product and you say not having a demo isn't a big deal.. Because Both of you seam to think this 2k10 game is amazing and it took guts for 2k not to release a demo...Even with this vid today how can anyone take 2k serious... You have had all talk so far with no vids.. Had developer insights and now vids showcasing what they are talking about...

# 56 squaremarker @ 09/03/09 12:20 AM
hahaha, yes great strategy, don't release a demo when your competition does. very strategic.

# 57 SoxFan01605 @ 09/03/09 12:53 AM
More horrible marketing from 2K...lol. It's become as synonymous with their brand as over-hyping is with EA

It doesn't effect my desire to give this game a try (I've always preferred the 2K brand of hockey) or my somewhat positive outlook for it, but it's a flat out sad state of affairs for 2K IMO.

# 58 savoie2006 @ 09/03/09 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorismary
Same here but this is getting silly next 2k will say the dog ate the demo
In a day where companies are giving more with there demos 2k isnt giving less their giving nothing
Why would anyone who loves hockey or on the fence even buy this untested game .
This must be another stategy to corner the Wii hockey market .
Well from 2k past demo history all games , this is a RED FLAG not to touch this game intil reviews.
or you watch the gameplay footage from 2KHockey.net

# 59 savoie2006 @ 09/03/09 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
And still not be sold unless you were buying it anyway. I'm sorry Savoie but 2k doesn't deserve blind faith at this point.
Give me a break. Hardly "blind faith" based on the Gameplay footage that's there and still coming. Seriously, a demo wouldn't have given any better idea of what the AI was capable of. In fact it would have most likely been worse, so I don't see this as blind faith. Now if you want to rent it first and play with sliders, fine, but personally I'm sold that this is going to be the best 2K Hockey game in many years.

# 60 savoie2006 @ 09/03/09 06:18 AM
Quote:
Its pretty ironic that the only guys saying demos don't matter are the same guys who were going to buy it regardless and generally are those same guys who have this huge chip on their shoulder about EA.
No chip here.I think if anyone has the chip it would be you, but not for EA. Demos do matter, but they are usually default settings with no slider access, so really they do sports games little justice. Of course ideally a demo with slider access would be great, but the same could be said regarding NHL10. We take what we can get though and go with it. Whatever though, it's your thing. My is pre ordered as of tonight and yes NHL10 will follow shortly after release most likely, on blind faith even.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.