Home
NHL 2K10 News Post

2KHockey.net has posted a 14 minute gameplay video from NHL 2K10.

Quote:
"2KHockey.net is humbled and excited to give you an exclusive first look at a teaser trailer full game of raw NHL 2K10 gameplay, played with custom sliders for all you sim hockey fans out there. Here is the first period of action (14:31).

** PLEASE NOTE **
Due to some issues with our Flash streaming this afternoon, I am posting the raw video file. So this is a hi-res WMV and is a very large download, but we’ll have some additional streaming & download options available tonight.

Stay tuned for more footage after the first intermission…"

Game: NHL 2K10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Money99 @ 09/03/09 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kai123
I think those of you who still enjoy Hockey gaming after NHL 08/2k8 must be dreaming. Hockey games are nothing comapred to the days where there were 5 different companies making Hockey games. Now that were down to 2, its almost like Madden. I don't need to explain Madden.

Anyways. The video cannot determine a buy, a rent or a no buy. We need to get the game hands-on/ community or OS review to see how the game is. I don't know alot about this game yet, because 2k didn't market it enough. I am still going on my word. WAITING, until NHL 10 and 2k10 come out and I will read unbiased reviews and play the game before I determine if I wil buy a Hockey game this season.
That's a very safe and intelligent approach.
I wish I had that kind of sense. I just basically buy every game first day and repeat each year despite the empty promises I make to myself.

# 42 MizzouRah @ 09/03/09 03:19 PM
I'm the opposite of you baa.. game play AI does look better, but I still see robotic movements and game play looks very similar to 2k9.

Where is the board play?

# 43 texbuk84 @ 09/03/09 03:26 PM
am i the only one who thought that the arena was jumping and the commentary was on point. man this is shaping up to be good

# 44 wheels2121 @ 09/03/09 03:39 PM
the arenas are stunning. The commentary? No, it sounded plain and choppy like something from the early 2000s.

# 45 LIGHTNING @ 09/03/09 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
I too know now why there's no demo. 2k9 v2. While I see some improved AI behavor with cycling and dumps I'm certainly not seeing much else that would confirm the "AI rewritten from the ground up" remarks and blogs and what not. If WWTC wanted to show the game off in a sim setting you'd think he would have actually used some sim sliders or a higher difficulty level.

Pros
Some nice cycling and dumps by the AI at various points
Good puck physics
Crowd sounds noisy
Some nice collision animations
stick lifts
Over all better positioning/less CPU charging the puck carrier
Cons
Passing is still arcady fast
Tape to tape passing, seriously its worse than NHL 08-09
Defensive CPU AI same ol back track collapsing to the net. No neutral zone pressure
Comentary is still awful
While theres some nice collision animations the actual collision detection is still terrible

The gameplay itself doesn't look all that improved, the AI was very disappointing. Certainly a far cry from WWTC's AI dev blog. Sliders may make it play a better game but theres no way I'm buying without renting first now.

The CPU defenders back tracking to the net is a huge problem. That is my big concern.
I cannot understand why they do not fix this. This has been a problem for a very long time.

# 46 SoxFan01605 @ 09/03/09 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
Has to be the worst commentary/sound editing in a sports video game on next gen. That, or it ties for worst with Cole and Neal.
Tom Hammond from Madden says hello.

Commentary was bad, but lighting, graphics, and animations all look improved. I don't know that it's better looking than EA's title, but the gap has certainly closed a bit. Agreed on the momentum too, although I'd have to have my hands on it to be sure about the weight. I think that's more of a "feel" aspect, but I get your drift.

Anyway, as you said, now we just have to see how it plays.

# 47 Eddie1967 @ 09/03/09 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
The second vid is up at 2khockey. It looks real nice in my opinion.
Thanks going to check it out now.

# 48 Eddie1967 @ 09/03/09 06:54 PM
Man, this game looks great. Again, I love the aggressiveness of the cpu on offense and defense. The crowd sounds are second to none. Animations are very well done. Overall it looks like a major upgrade in all areas over 2k9. Just a little over a week Scott.

# 49 Eddie1967 @ 09/03/09 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grydnt Vektr211
am i the only one who thought that the arena was jumping and the commentary was on point. man this is shaping up to be good
No your not, definitely loved the commentary. It is very well done. A sim yet fun experience is what this game looks like in motion. Can't wait.

# 50 Flyermania @ 09/03/09 07:02 PM
2nd video looks good, but the CPU AI still looks questionable at times. Visually a huge upgrade over 2k9.

# 51 Eddie1967 @ 09/03/09 07:24 PM
Quote:
I'm... speechless... after reading that. I can't... think... of anything to say... not even... something... witty.

I tried typing that ^ in my best Randy Hahn impression Eddie, just so you'd enjoy it.
I know, I know, but I honestly like the way they deliver their lines. I like the EA announcer's too but I think they get the nod because they have a better delivery and are more well known. I just don't see anything wrong with Randy Hahn at all. Guess I'm easy to please.

# 52 NINJAK2 @ 09/03/09 07:36 PM
Could some of people's complaints be due to the fact that they are playing with custom sliders?

# 53 Eddie1967 @ 09/03/09 07:51 PM
Quote:
No, where is it posted? Same link?

http://www.2khockey.net/content/

# 54 davep @ 09/03/09 08:06 PM
In the 2nd video, I just heard Phoenix playing in the background during a break in action...probably won't buy the game, but I dig their taste in music!

# 55 TIm @ 09/03/09 09:32 PM
This is sooo weird for me... The graphics look good for the most part, The AI is o.k, Skating looks smooth however, There are a couple of things that got on my nerves... The stick handling seems way to easy.. I guess how I mean is a player will do a complete 180 or more and shoot the puck or do a 180 to get away from a defender or spin on a dime..... Also the speed of the game is just to quick...I hope that is adjustable. The flow just isn't there for me...Puck friction needs to be turned up.. The Puck slides way to fast across the ice... Passes all look the same.. The puck stays the same speed unless its a dump pass or a drop pass.. I will have to see more... All in all the game looks ok...

# 56 original6 @ 09/03/09 09:34 PM
Ugh, still no boardplay.....?

Goal by the cpu scored because WWTC's defender just collapsed back to the net instead of playing his man. As a result a man was left wide open in the slot for a onetimer.

Bing-bing-bing.......Riccochet Rabbit! (pinball passing again)

No penalties...........?

Good grief, I can't take much more of the constant laser beam backhand passes anymore.

Not a very impressive vid, sorry. This just isn't oozing "sim" to me. C'mon, Anthony. You can do better.

# 57 onlybygrace @ 09/03/09 11:00 PM
That second period was much much better than the 1st. Nice.

Still NHL 10 is the game for me, but I will definitely pick this up at some point, full price or not.

I'd really like to see the Caps score so I can get a load of the arena atmosphere on a home goal...hopefully in the 3rd period WWTC gets his head outta his ***.

# 58 CarryTheWeight @ 09/03/09 11:04 PM
Anyone finding the goalscorer stat overlays popping up during the replays annoying? I saw this in the IGN Team-Up vids as well. Shouldn't they pop up during the close up of the goalscorer celebrating (like last year's game)?

Obviously a pet peeve but kind of sloppy-looking.

# 59 tabulaRasa @ 09/04/09 03:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by original6
Ugh, still no boardplay.....?

Goal by the cpu scored because WWTC's defender just collapsed back to the net instead of playing his man. As a result a man was left wide open in the slot for a onetimer.

Bing-bing-bing.......Riccochet Rabbit! (pinball passing again)

No penalties...........?

Good grief, I can't take much more of the constant laser beam backhand passes anymore.

Not a very impressive vid, sorry. This just isn't oozing "sim" to me. C'mon, Anthony. You can do better.
There was a penalty atleast in the first Video. ANd the D AI played good positional play there, and instead of being overly aggressive they played the positional play which is good.

BTW The cpu passing have the same issues in NHL10, where despite you playing hardcore, the cpu in NHL10 pass tape to tape.

Also:
The Cpu pass around and actually plays in the Off zone, dump around the boards, passing cycles and go to the net. Sure enough improvements, and btw, just as much Offensive AI as NHL10.

On D, The cpu pressures the opponent on the played side out to the boards, keep good position.

Passing by the user had alot of missed passes and it was obvious when he missed a few when he cut away from the lane.

Alot of missed net , nice to see, I guess we won´t see 70 shots on net in one game.

Checks we realistic and varied, one funny thing was when to players got check over the boards though I like the half checks, looks good.

Also collision "bumps" looked nice.

Don´t like the players moving on a spline look during break cutscenes. For next year zoom in on the player upper body and have a follow cam, problem solved and realistic a broadcast shot, and you won´t see that they move on a spline.

BTW, heard MGTM in the background, nice. Seems like 2k have alot better music now!

# 60 tabulaRasa @ 09/04/09 04:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmay
You can pretty much do this in any 2k hockey game with sliders. I've always made it so there was no assist, and the puck was very loose. I'm sure that's still in the game.
And also you could also change puck retention in previous 2k games. So you can change how "sticky" the puck is, and it worked good.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.