Home
FIFA 10 News Post

For those of you that can grab the FIFA Soccer 10 demo, please post your impressions here.

FIFA Soccer 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view FIFA Soccer 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: FIFA Soccer 10Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 9 - View All
FIFA Soccer 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 KG @ 09/18/09 08:45 AM
Only played 3 matches but I thought normal speed felt a lot slower than last years normal. I also think that on "semi" passing there were more erratic passes which is a good thing.

There are still times when you have no control over your back line and can't fight for the ball but I think the 360 movement helps the CPU defense out much more. No more cheesing the CPU with diagonal runs or stopping on a dime and switching angles that was so effective against the CPU last year.

I had a ton of fouls called vs me but not as much against the CPU which is good and bad. Good because last year there were matches when the CPU went all out slide tackle crazy and got 2-3 men sent off but bad if you play a more physical style of play.

Playing vs Barca it was good to see them take off Henry and bring on an extra defender (Maxwell) to preserve the 1 goal lead BUT they still played him in the same spot .

Hopefully we'll get some leagues/BAP going again like in '08

# 122 Tomasperez9 @ 09/18/09 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgx2thez
I had a ton of fouls called vs me but not as much against the CPU which is good and bad. Good because last year there were matches when the CPU went all out slide tackle crazy and got 2-3 men sent off but bad if you play a more physical style of play.

Playing vs Barca it was good to see them take off Henry and bring on an extra defender (Maxwell) to preserve the 1 goal lead BUT they still played him in the same spot .

Hopefully we'll get some leagues/BAP going again like in '08
I've yet to see a computer red card, but they average a yellow card every other game against me. Then again, I've been trying to draw fouls at the edge of the area (to work on my set pieces) by turning my back to the defender (RT) right before he comes in for a challenge.

Maxwell seems to be the backup LW for Barca. Down a goal they may bring in Maxwell for Henry. I was under the original impression that substitution logic is better, but I may have been completely wrong. One game, the computer took off Ribery for Tymoschuk when down a goal. A DM for a AMR/L? Questionable...

# 123 Bruins @ 09/18/09 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomasperez9
One game, the computer took off Ribery for Tymoschuk when down a goal. A DM for a AMR/L? Questionable...
Ribery plays centrally now. They have him lined up at CAM in FIFA.

# 124 KG @ 09/18/09 09:40 AM
Quote:
I've yet to see a computer red card, but they average a yellow card every other game against me. Then again, I've been trying to draw fouls at the edge of the area (to work on my set pieces) by turning my back to the defender (RT) right before he comes in for a challenge.

Maxwell seems to be the backup LW for Barca. Down a goal they may bring in Maxwell for Henry. I was under the original impression that substitution logic is better, but I may have been completely wrong. One game, the computer took off Ribery for Tymoschuk when down a goal. A DM for a AMR/L? Questionable...
I think that's pretty realistic. I don't have stats to back it up but I'd venture that there's at least 1 yellow dished out a game per match.

Is Maxwell's position LW in the game? I didn't check it.

In the PK shootout I had it felt like the goalie was more responsive.

Also, when I was Juve Buffon was a lot more aggresive than Cech. GG was fired up back there on big saves.

# 125 mebby @ 09/18/09 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaa1980
I have played both demos, FIFA and PES; while FIFA definitely better in many ways as been mentioned before; why does playing the PES AI seem more realistic. Actual midfield play in PES, FIFA seems always the same? Anyone else play both demos and see difference?
Yea - I do see what you're saying here. Maybe I'm just too materialistic and/or shallow when it comes to gaming, but for me, the horrible presentation of PES just really turns me off. I'm a big fan of sim-like sports games and this is first and foremost (usually) on my list of requirements and while FIFA doesn't get an A+ here they at least get a B to B+ and that's good enough to win me over.

Back in the day, I was all about PES b/c it beat out FIFA on the realism scale by a LONG shot. But today they are pretty close but FIFA has so much more to offer visually. Even the sound is better - I mean, what is up with the horrible sound that PES makes when coming into contact with the ball? Ever collide with two players and have the ball bounce in between them? When this happens it sounds like a 1980's arcade shooter game. It's just ridiculous.

Sorry - didn't mean to turn this into a PES rant. I used to love that game but I can't stand it now.

# 126 mebby @ 09/18/09 10:07 AM
Quote:
Really? That's something I think all of us wanted out of the game. I think the majority of us still think there are too many cut scenes still in the game. I guess in matters of opinion, no one can be wrong.
I'm definitely in the camp of wanting less cut scenes. I want the game to flow a little better. But it would be cool if they'd give us the option - more or less cut scenes. Sometimes it's cool to play with the cut scenes but 9 times out of 10 I'd prefer to just play the game without them.

# 127 mebby @ 09/18/09 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad 69
After playing both the PES and FIFA demo's, I have to say I like the PES one better. PES does feel a bit unresponsive, but I'm hoping the demo is from an early build of the game and the final will be more polished.

FIFA looks the same as 09 graphics wise, while PES looks light years better than last year. The pace of FIFA still seems off, its still basketball on grass, PES pace feels just right. Once again the camera angles suck in FIFA - I want to throw up after playing - trying to use the Pro view which has been terrible for the past couple of years, I can't understand how Konami can get the Pro angle perfect and EA can't even come close.

This will probably be the first year I won't buy FIFA - maybe I will get it further down the road, I have bought and played it for years and only got into PES in the last few months. PES looks and plays more like a soccer game is supposed, even without offical licenses,
I prefer to edit the game myself anyway.
I always find it interesting how different the opinions of FIFA versus PES can be from person to person. There really is no right or wrong - it just comes down to what each person enjoys more I suppose.

Anyway - For me... I think the pace in PES is off a bit and the players don't seem attached to the environment. It's almost like their legs are moving but they are just sliding across a background. The ball physics and player movement all seem off to me compared to FIFA.

But I do remember the first time I played PES and thought "Holy ****! Someone finally go this game right!" But somehow along the way I feel they either lost it or FIFA caught up.

# 128 Tomasperez9 @ 09/18/09 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins
Ribery plays centrally now. They have him lined up at CAM in FIFA.
I understand, but it still seems weird. A DM for an AM when down a goal?

# 129 Matt10 @ 09/18/09 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mebby
... I think the pace in PES is off a bit and the players don't seem attached to the environment. It's almost like their legs are moving but they are just sliding across a background. The ball physics and player movement all seem off to me compared to FIFA.
I think this is the best description of what PES nexgen has become, and why FIFA seems to be overlapping game-play wise.

It's sad to realize that PES might not be the choice for me because I am a long time player, PES6 is by far the best ever created, and I still play it to relive old memories - I'm still seeing goals that I have never seen before.

PES6 = NFL2k5 - the game that you just can't put down and wish every game was based off of it.

PES10 = At the rate it's going, could be Madden 09. The worst EA football game ever created in my opinion.

# 130 Krebstar @ 09/18/09 11:58 AM
As I always do in these demo's, I play a great team against the worst team, hoping to dominate them, as it should go. Well, here is an example of a shot that just didn't happen last year. Amazing to see the ball go in with force and not rise in an instant. Especially when shooting from distance.

# 131 CX1329 @ 09/18/09 12:23 PM
I'm really surprised with the fouls in the game. Whereas they were few and far between in FIFA 09, they seem to be spot on in this installment. Also, all the fundamentals like shooting, passing and crossing have GREATLY improved, and the movement is brilliant. Plus, the set pieces are much better.

It doesn't even feel like I'm playing FIFA, it feels like an entirely different series.

# 132 Bruins @ 09/18/09 12:54 PM
Quote:
I understand, but it still seems weird. A DM for an AM when down a goal?
Oh okay, my bad. I misread and thought you said they were up a goal.

# 133 Tomasperez9 @ 09/18/09 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins
Oh okay, my bad. I misread and thought you said they were up a goal.
It's all good. The substitutions are actually pretty annoying. Maxwell at LW is the worst. The computer should be able to switch formations in the middle of a game so that if you take off Henry, you shouldn't have Maxwell playing at forward or down the wing. Instead, he should be moved to LM or LB and the formation should be switched accordingly.

# 134 mebby @ 09/18/09 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
PES6 = NFL2k5 - the game that you just can't put down and wish every game was based off of it.

PES10 = At the rate it's going, could be Madden 09. The worst EA football game ever created in my opinion.
I agree completely. I definitely remember playing my first game of PES 6 and my first game of NFL2K5 and being blown away by both. Hell - I even toted my Playstation 2 all the way to Vegas with me for a conference so I could play NFL2K5 and I was in VEGAS (like there's nothing else to do there).

But PES development has all but stalled while FIFA is growing leaps and bounds.

# 135 sportsdude @ 09/18/09 02:50 PM
played Marseille against Bayern yesterday and I liked the demo a lot. I like the control shots more, the through balls aren't as deadly and I felt the spacing was a bit better than it was last year. One thing I also really liked was that the players felt like they had bit more momentum to them, I know that's not necessarily the right word but it's all I could think of. Kind of feels like a mix between 08 and 09, and I liked that.

I'll give the PES demo a try here either later today or tomorrow. I've only got room one soccer game this year so unless the PES demo blows me away I'll be getting FIFA 10.

# 136 CX1329 @ 09/18/09 04:59 PM
The way the AI players actually move the ball around as opposed to just going forward without any regard to strategy has not gone without my appreciation.

# 137 Krebstar @ 09/18/09 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CX1329
The way the AI players actually move the ball around as opposed to just going forward without any regard to strategy has not gone without my appreciation.
I agree. I was counting back passes in the last game. Something I could never do in FIFA 09 or previous years.

# 138 mdbussen @ 09/18/09 06:31 PM
I've been really impressed by the demo so far but I do have a large niggling concern that has already been voiced here - the CPU always plays the same way no matter which team it is. And that style of play generally consists of working it up the field as quickly as possible with passes/dribbling between the forwards and wingers and then a cross/shot from distance.

There's no semblence of build-up play from the CPU and I have very rarely seen them play a ball BACKWARDS to a player who is under less pressure. Hopefully this will be addressed by the time the game ships (or at the very least can be adjusted on a per-team basis by the tactics sliders) but I think even with this problem I'm enjoying the demo so much that FIFA 10 is a must buy for me this year

# 139 Mad 69 @ 09/18/09 07:55 PM
I have been seeing back passes - to the goalie especially, in FIFA for the last few years, I stopped playing FIFA 09 after a month and went back to 08, I prefer the pace of that game. My big problem has always been the camera angle, it was impossible pulling off moves/tricks using the dynamic camera angle. I could not get used to the pro view no matter how many times I tried it.

Once I tried PES 09, I never went back to FIFA. As already stated by anumber of posters, the AI in PES is excellent compared to FIFA. Have you ever watched/specatated a PES game? Its a thing of beauty to watch the CPU move the ball around the pitch. If I could get PES with the FIFA graphics and team licenses - I would probably never play any other video game.

# 140 mebby @ 09/18/09 10:17 PM
I've been going back and fort between FIFA 09 and FIFA 10 and the more I do this the more I appreciate 10. The game play and freedom of movements and runs are head and shoulders above 09.

So far the only thing I don't like about 10 is that I can't play a full game yet.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.