Home
NBA 2K10 News Post

2K Sports has just posted another NBA Developer Insight, this one featuring the player tendencies in NBA 2K10.

Quote:
"Rob Jones here. You guys have known me for years as the game play voice behind NBA 2K and College Hoops. I haven’t been this excited about what we have achieved this year for NBA 2K10 in terms of Player Tendencies, since introducing you guys to Signature Style in NBA 2K7. I am truly excited about the huge step up in Tendencies that we are incorporating into our Signature Play feature. This year, we have allowed for unprecedented depth in our players from a different system of ratings, attributes, plays, and decision-making in AI. Let’s get into it."

Game: NBA 2K10Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 74 - View All
NBA 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 TreyIM2 @ 09/12/09 01:49 AM
Not trying to hate cuz I rocked on 2K9, only, but yea, they were already headed in this direction with that weak Living Rosters as an answer to DNA/365. This is good but I need a demo, 2K, because if the DC is serving as that demo, as fun as it is but seemingly more of the same, and I end up liking the Live 10 demo better? I say no more. U've been dominating my basketball game dollars since the Dreamcast with my only buying 3 Lives in that time span but u guys gotta bring it, this year, and I don't mean a billion more animations I cannot break out of. That's getting a bit tired.

And someone said something about human skin in 2K10 - Not flaming, but just calling at it is cuz I HATE when people get their facts wrong yet try to sound off as if they know what they're talking about but to get you corrected, Live since Live 08 has had better, human skin texture than 2K. That's coming from an objective eye.

Gimme the goods, 2K. Make me want 2K10 is all I ask cuz right now, I have nothing to go on but the DC which is 2K9.5 and hasn't even corrected the issues from 2K9, as far as I can see....but, again, the DC is still mad fun. Just keepin it real.

# 22 STLRams @ 09/12/09 10:15 AM
Thank you 2K for implementing some new tendencies software, this was one of the things I cried about so much in NBA2K9, and how great NBALive+Synergy was. Also im so excited that they reassigned the 2K Insider to the draft combine and he is not involved in the ratings and tendencies. Finally it seems the game will have some dynamic offensive and defensive tendencies throughout the season that are true to life.

# 23 GSW @ 09/12/09 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewaat
You can now assign any play to each and every position.

Loving it
so when you are playing someone and they have mehmet okur running thru screens to get open like rip hamilton will you still love it?

# 24 Mintsa @ 09/12/09 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSW
so when you are playing someone and they have mehmet okur running thru screens to get open like rip hamilton will you still love it?
Good point GSW.....Bargnani is a "perimeter" player. But he can't run plays that Rip or Ray Allen would run.

Well just have to wait and see how well this works.

But I do see exactly what your getting at.

# 25 Hotobu @ 09/12/09 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSW
Good point. Hard to argue with this.

# 26 Melman @ 09/12/09 11:14 AM
Well I think it could also depend on the players speed and quickness if u want to run a certain play for another player. I mean by all means you should be able to run whatever play for whatever player you want. But I'd laugh at someone doing this with okur. I'd sniff that play out and get a steal if I saw okur running around. I think player ratings will play more of a role when it comes to this though so it won't look cheap if somebody does this. It will look true to life, especially with turbo not being abused like it has in the past. Okur would be pretty tired after running thru screens all day like Rip LOL

# 27 DC @ 09/12/09 11:27 AM
Why would getting a steal be any easier just because Okur will be the recipient of a pass coming off of a screen?

# 28 marcoyk @ 09/12/09 02:37 PM
Damn D-Fish is looking ripped.

# 29 The 24th Letter @ 09/12/09 03:31 PM
assuming they take away the players individual speed ratings and such...i could definitely see okur coming off screens like rip being a problem lol

# 30 The 24th Letter @ 09/12/09 03:37 PM
wasnt being sarcastic btw.....

# 31 NINJAK2 @ 09/12/09 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSW
I guess we will have to actually PLAY the game to find out..........

# 32 GSW @ 09/12/09 04:43 PM
im not saying not to play it.. im just bringing up something that could possibly happen...and most likely will

# 33 eko718 @ 09/12/09 05:30 PM
The pics on that insight look good. The courts look alot better than from prior footage/pics and the players look good too. D Fish does look ****-diesel...lol.

# 34 Eddie1967 @ 09/12/09 07:06 PM
Great writeup, brilliant ideas from VC for 2k10. This looks like it will be a great game for offline play which is all that matters to me.

# 35 Sinner @ 09/12/09 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSW
What type of game does he have? I've heard the name and know he plays center for Utah but other than that I honestly dont know much about him. I would think that if he doesn't have the game for it *speed and a consistent jump shot* he's not going to be as effective playing the way Rip does. Is he a good spot up shooter? quick release? Get someone to rotate over and get in his face and it could render him not as effective as he would be playing the way he normally plays. With 82games it seems like they put all of that information into having a player play the way he's supposed to.

# 36 nogster @ 09/13/09 01:49 AM
great news.

my work here is done.

i think this will be the 1st game in a decade where i dont use my own customised rosters.
i dont have the time to do them anymore now im a dad.
so this is great news to me.. i hope it is as good as it sounds.

# 37 ZoneBlitz @ 09/13/09 09:14 AM
Notice he stated that it looks at what a player wants to do. So if someone is not a jump-shooter or normally doesn't shoot immediately off the screen, then he won't try to do that.

Now, if a human wants to try, that's up to him/her. Then the hypothetical player not suited for a play will fail at it. Imagine trying to bring Shaq off the screen to shoot from 15 feet out. Good luck.

# 38 Smirkin Dirk @ 09/15/09 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneBlitz
Now, if a human wants to try, that's up to him/her. Then the hypothetical player not suited for a play will fail at it. Imagine trying to bring Shaq off the screen to shoot from 15 feet out. Good luck.
Initially I was very happy, because I could finally put some of my players where I want them to go (e.g. post up some SGs and have some C's just hang on the arc)

BUT then, that poster made a good point that it could be exploited by the likes of Memo being Rip

BUT then, someone else responded with the use of player ratings and speed affecting that possibility

BUT then, I remembered how some players in 2K9 (especially dirk) would get sucked into a coming off screen animation where he'd get to the arc from under the bucket in half a second flat.

So...I'll just wait to see on this one

# 39 kenzil @ 09/15/09 09:02 AM
So how will player tendencies work in association with rookies and 'created draft classes'?

Seems like they would only have the tendencies of current players in the nba...

# 40 Hotobu @ 09/15/09 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Kidd
Initially I was very happy, because I could finally put some of my players where I want them to go (e.g. post up some SGs and have some C's just hang on the arc)

BUT then, that poster made a good point that it could be exploited by the likes of Memo being Rip

BUT then, someone else responded with the use of player ratings and speed affecting that possibility

BUT then, I remembered how some players in 2K9 (especially dirk) would get sucked into a coming off screen animation where he'd get to the arc from under the bucket in half a second flat.

So...I'll just wait to see on this one

EXACTLY. A lot of the people who play sports games seem to try to inject way too much of what should happen into what happens in reality. When every player reaches from the same animation pool stuff like this becomes problematic. Unless this is changed then it'll be a huge problem because a big player will benefit from the speed boost on offense whereas the defender wont get this benefit because he doesn't have a special animation for playing screen defense.

This potential problem is analogous to how every player in the game had that hesitation dribble and guys like Yao could explode from the FT line to the basket with one move.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.