Home
News Post

GET INTO THE DRIVERS SEAT WITH NEED FOR SPEED SHIFT

Award-Winning SHIFT is Heralded by Game Critics as
One of the Best Need for Speed Games Ever

REDWOOD CITY, Calif. – September 15, 2009 – Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) today announced that Need for Speed™ SHIFT hits retail stores today in North America and across Europe on September 17. Receiving high marks from the top videogame media including a nine out of 10 from IGN PlayStation: The Official Magazine and Official Xbox Magazine. Need for Speed SHIFT delivers a true driver’s experience with a stunning cockpit view, deep career mode and amazing car roster.

Need for Speed SHIFT redefines the racing genre with the combination of real world physics with perception based G-forces. The game includes a brutal first person crash dynamic to create an immersive cockpit view. When combined with the all-new driver profile, which gives each player a unique persona based on their driving skill and style, Need for Speed SHIFT is the most realistic and intensive authentic racing game ever.

“Without a doubt, Need for Speed SHIFT is the first racing game that accurately delivers the physical and emotional sensation of being behind the wheel of a race car,” said Patrick Soderlund, Senior Vice President of EA Games Europe. “I’m confident this game not only reinvigorates the entire Need for Speed franchise but it actually changes the way people will view and appreciate racing games.”

Need for Speed SHIFT is available for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system, PC, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system and iPhone. More information can be found at www.needforspeed.com or follow us on Twitter at NeedforSpeed.

Need for Speed Shift screenshot gallery - Click to view Need for Speed Shift screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Need for Speed ShiftReader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PSP / Xbox 360Votes for game: 10 - View All
Need for Speed Shift Videos
Member Comments
# 41 kennytomson @ 09/19/09 08:19 AM
Pro:
- cockpit view is best around. your cockpit blurs when going faster than 110, sense of speed and physics really felt. movement of head / view is the evolution I feel this game will add to the genre for all future releases.

Con:
- big bright arrows telling you when to turn
- arcadey environments
- not enough HUD options, basically either all or none
- Dirt / Dirt 2, GRID, (most likely Forza 3) > Shift. Hard to justify purchase when stronger competion already out or on the horizon

# 42 LingeringRegime @ 09/19/09 11:38 AM
^ Totally agree about the HUD options. They need to have something about the laps and the placement of the race on the limited HUD. You can turn the racing line off by the way.

# 43 ODogg @ 09/19/09 04:39 PM
Thanks for the heads up about installing to the hard disk, i was about to do that today.

Listen up, here is the bottom line - this is a FUN racing game, if you're at all a fan of racing then you have to own this game. I liken it to Forza and Burnout combined into one killer CD. Unfreakin-real!

# 44 lnin0 @ 09/19/09 05:39 PM
Using the simple tuning options set your bar all the way to 1 for oversteer. You can do this on all the cars you own and for some reason it massively improves the twitchy feeling. No luck with all the loaner car races though since it doesn't let you tune them before the race.

# 45 Glenn33 @ 09/19/09 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goh
Oh and don't bother installing it to the hard drive to reduce these long load times. I did that and it crashed 2 of the 3 times I tried to play it.
Hmmm - I did this the first day I got the game and haven't crashed ONCE.

# 46 Glenn33 @ 09/19/09 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg

Listen up, here is the bottom line - this is a FUN racing game, if you're at all a fan of racing then you have to own this game. I liken it to Forza and Burnout combined into one killer CD. Unfreakin-real!
Good call.

# 47 LingeringRegime @ 09/19/09 07:19 PM
I agree ODogg. It does a wonderful job merging sim/arcade, and you can always adjust to what you like better. Career mode is one of the more addicting game modes I have played in the last few months. GT is still king, but Shift does raise the bar in areas like speed and intensity. Definitely, worth a purchase for those who are even remotely interested in the racing genre, and will prove a nice hold over until Forza/GT.

# 48 Shadymamba @ 09/19/09 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb24
2 questions. Do you customize your car? Does tuning your car make a big difference?
yes and yes...not much to customize though a lot more tuning

# 49 bubba4 @ 09/20/09 12:42 AM
Just got the game and after a bit of time with it, it is clear to me that this game is no competition for Forza or GT5. The game looks to me as if they are going after the PGR crowd, which of course if no more, and the GRID gamer. The game is nice and is surely an improvement in the series. Is it the best NFS game? IMO, it is not. Porche Unleashed still reigns supreme in my mind. But I do like what EA is doing here. I am enjoying the game.

One tip I have for the PS3 version.... if you want to get rid of the horrid music during replays, go into your Audio options and turn off MENU AMBIANCE. That will take care of it. This may work on the 360 as well.
Keep Racing!
Bubba4

# 50 ExtremeGamer @ 09/20/09 06:58 AM
FYI, I have had my game installed to the HDD since Tuesday, and have had zero issues. It still has long load times though.

# 51 LingeringRegime @ 09/20/09 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba4
One tip I have for the PS3 version.... if you want to get rid of the horrid music during replays, go into your Audio options and turn off MENU AMBIANCE. That will take care of it. This may work on the 360 as well.
Keep Racing!
Bubba4
Thanks Bubba!!! No more, "Wiki, Wiki, Wiki,......"

# 52 phillyfan23 @ 09/20/09 10:21 AM
My one question is simple.

Does the game have rubberbanding A.I?

I understand this is an arcade racer, but can we at least turn off this feature. I don't wanna crash 3 times in the first lap and then end up being near the top. I know this makes it more exciting for most gamers,but I like to have no rubberbanding at all.

thanks

# 53 LingeringRegime @ 09/20/09 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan23
My one question is simple.

Does the game have rubberbanding A.I?

I understand this is an arcade racer, but can we at least turn off this feature. I don't wanna crash 3 times in the first lap and then end up being near the top. I know this makes it more exciting for most gamers,but I like to have no rubberbanding at all.

thanks
With the CPU AI set to medium and all the aids off I haven't seen this at all. You really have to work to be in 1st place. If you set the AI to hard, it's really difficult. So, to answer your question no.

# 54 ODogg @ 09/20/09 12:14 PM
there is no rubber-banding, NBA-JAM type catch up nonsense in the game thank goodness

# 55 bluengold34_OS @ 09/21/09 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mniner2003
Agreed, BC.
Too Bad Bro....as we have logged over a 1000 hours racing each each other on line...I really think you would enjoy this one. It has it's moments, and has enough sim to go along with the arcade aspect to make it a lot of fun.

Not sure if I have come across a game yet that has Seca looking so damn good. Obviously Manny, its not going to match GTR2, NR2K3, Race 07, or even RFactor for realism.........but still a damn fun game.

# 56 ExtremeGamer @ 09/21/09 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34
Too Bad Bro....as we have logged over a 1000 hours racing each each other on line...I really think you would enjoy this one. It has it's moments, and has enough sim to go along with the arcade aspect to make it a lot of fun.

Not sure if I have come across a game yet that has Seca looking so damn good. Obviously Manny, its not going to match GTR2, NR2K3, Race 07, or even RFactor for realism.........but still a damn fun game.
Told you

# 57 bluengold34_OS @ 09/21/09 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
Told you
Yes.......Yes you did.

And I trusted you enough( even though you're a Browns fan) to throw the cash down on this one. Between this, NHL 10, Madden 10...and NBA live in about a week....I think I am set for awhile.

By the way Scott....love the new avatar bro...makes laugh every time I see it.

# 58 Fetter21 @ 09/21/09 10:33 PM
Can you play two players against each other on the same console earn points for both people to unlock stuff or get new cars?

# 59 Pappy Knuckles @ 09/22/09 07:54 AM
For those of you still on the fence, just go out and pick the game up. There are a ton of career races and the game is flat out fun. I've played a lot of racing games where it felt like a chore to progress through it, but that definitely isn't the case with Shift. It's This the best racer I've played in a long time.

My only real knock on it is that the online options are pretty limited. You can't even see what your opponent is driving until your actually in the race. Not really sure why they did that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetter21
Can you play two players against each other on the same console earn points for both people to unlock stuff or get new cars?
No.

# 60 bcruise @ 09/23/09 01:37 AM
I'm a little surprised I haven't seen someone's friendlist message say "Need For Speed SHIFT Taking a Dump" with how detailed that message gets. I saw one saying someone just had a big crash...does it really update that quickly?

I really don't have any desire to get this one, but I just found that amusing.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.