Home
Madden 2010 News Post

Check out the Madden NFL 10 blog, which talks about the preliminary details of the 2nd title update.

Quote:
"In this second title update we focused on some of the more debated topics from our loyal and passionate fan base. We appreciate all the feedback so please keep it coming! In this update you will be happy to hear that we have tuned our Flat Zone assignments to cover the flats more effectively. Defenders will not chuck a WR if another receiver is running a route towards their zone. This will help the defender be in better position to react to a quickly throw flat route and allow him to make a play. The flat zone defenders will also play the ball better if a pass is thrown behind the line of scrimmage as well as taking better pursuit angles after the catch to prevent the ball carrier from being able to get around the corner. This has been one of the top complaints that we have heard about and realized it was definitely something that we needed to address."

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 Duece @ 10/19/09 10:45 AM
WILL I HAVE TO RESTART MY FRANCHISE AFTER THE 2ND UPDATE COMES OUT?

# 122 JMD @ 10/19/09 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvandor
It needs more variety in the presentation (not the same every week), needs replays even if canned of other games, more time to absorb stats on screen, needs to better tell a story.

It's a start, but it hasn't got me forgettin' 2k5 which was Ian's stated goal.
Agreed, Madden still has miles to go to reach the level of 2k5.

# 123 carnalnirvana @ 10/19/09 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRealist01
these are the posts i have issues with. really, is shadows really more serious than gameplay issues? hopefully ea gets the major stuff fixed first before trying to pretty up the game with minor details like that
first i will say i respect all posts and posters BUT.......

if there were no posts like this we would not be getting patches period,

this is the type of stuff they like to see and read because they add 10 things like this it looks like a long patch list and impresses some people...

i have yet to see the AI updated we have asked for years but nothing, but shadows, helmets, unis, gloves, shoes, team logos, mc donalds commercials, these things are first priority.....

if they were no vanilla posts patches would never come...

# 124 KBLover @ 10/19/09 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD
While the efforts to fix the game are appreciated, if the proper time was taken to program and test the game, we the consumers would not have to wait months after the games release for it to work as it should.
Which applies to all games ever that ever got a patch. Not just Madden or sports games.

That's the ideal. Perfect out of the box, never ever needing any fixing. Perfectly balanced, perfect graphics, perfect AI who wouldn't want that right out of the box? All "patches" then would just add more content.

Reality is, patches get put out to fix issues. I know I haven't played that game that's been perfect out of the box.

Could they get out faster? Maybe, though I would rather wait and get the patch done right that fixes the issues, then one that's fast and doesn't do a lot (or creates more issues as some has mentioned the 1st patch doing)

# 125 JaSnake16 @ 10/19/09 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacho
This is the only thing I disagree with. EA made no efforts to really fix the game. Ian and company fixed things like presentation, they added medium, long, short accuracy and throwing on the run ratings for QBs, they got rid of the roll and chuck; however, the ratings mean nothing. Rating, attributes or whatever you want to name them are really what drives any sports simulation. The whole premise of a sports sim have a digital character in the game with the visual likeness and the ability of the player that is meant to be portrayed. A sports sim is supposed to incorporate the fact that certian players are superior or inferior to others; that players have certian strengths and weakness , certian players are stronger, faster or more agile than others ; the only way to convey that is through ratings.

It's been proven that the ratings are meaningless in Madden 10, so what really did the development team do ? If the engine doesn't work in a car, it's useless. Who cares if you put add rims, a new paint job, satellite radio or whatever else. The Car needs to run properly first. Without ratings, the game means nothing.
Excellent post IMO. Rarings have to carry weight not "just be there."

# 126 carnalnirvana @ 10/19/09 12:45 PM
Quote:
This. This is my pet peeve on this forum, well one of them. You can put anybody short of cheerleaders on the oline and protect the QB, yet people are worried about the half time show, super bowl presentation and what not.

The ratings don't effect the game. The devs should concentrate on that and since EA's so concerned with marketing new features, they could call it " Procedural Ability " ; when you put a superior player up against an inferior one, the superior player will win the match up the majority of the time ; the superior player will win whether they're blocking or shedding a block , tackling or breaking a tackle , running or covering a route and pass blocking or pass rushing ; not just out running someone or being out run.

if we could put them on the field, the cheerleaders probably would block

# 127 carnalnirvana @ 10/19/09 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Which applies to all games ever that ever got a patch. Not just Madden or sports games.

That's the ideal. Perfect out of the box, never ever needing any fixing. Perfectly balanced, perfect graphics, perfect AI who wouldn't want that right out of the box? All "patches" then would just add more content.

Reality is, patches get put out to fix issues. I know I haven't played that game that's been perfect out of the box.

Could they get out faster? Maybe, though I would rather wait and get the patch done right that fixes the issues, then one that's fast and doesn't do a lot (or creates more issues as some has mentioned the 1st patch doing)
but KB the patch does take forever and it still is not done right....

the sliders being mised up wont be patched, the qb's running a slot offense wont be patched,

suction blocking, morphing etc all these wont be patched even if we waited until january for this patch......

they will get another 3 months after the release of the product and our FREE BETA TEST and still come up short

as a matter of fact WE PAY EA TO BETA TEST THIER GAME imagine that

we are beta testing this game for the millions who could careless for message boards, and what ever update no matter how mininal the improvments everyone benefits.

i saw my cousins franchise where he has all 90+ players at every position even backups, he is having a blast playing, he didnt pay for his copy.....

# 128 RyanMoody21 @ 10/19/09 01:29 PM
That list leaves alot to be desired. I have a strong feeling if it was/could/will be fixed it should be on that list. Leaving off key gameplay issues people have shown is inexcusable. I was under the impression patch 1 was ready to go at launch but got held up. Atleast thats why I gave it a pass on fixing some issues.

If certain aspects of gameplay cant be fixed, come out and tell us now. Same goes for CPU AI.

This whole blog and community interaction seems to be geared to nothing more that stringing us along.

I have no issue with anything that was getting fixed, anything being changed for the betterment of the overall game is a good thing. However when game play is this broken, I dont worry about highlights replays, cutscence and post game shows.

I could almost live with the ratings meaning nothing if the AI was adaptive. Unless its a QB or HB most of the players in the game play as a position rather than a unique player. The static, dull gameplay could be almost tolerable if the AI could make games challenging the right way.

# 129 bgeno @ 10/19/09 01:44 PM
Quote:
This. This is my pet peeve on this forum, well one of them. You can put anybody short of cheerleaders on the oline and protect the QB, yet people are worried about the half time show, super bowl presentation and what not.
I haven't been on the Madden forums since this summer (I knew I couldn't afford the game and didn't want to get myself excited about it), but this is something that has bothered me as well... and, frankly, it's another reason I quit checking out the Madden forum. To me, some people's priorities are a little off.

And I caught some **** for it when I mentioned in the summer that I'd rather they fix gameplay than work on presentation stuff that gets old after the third time you see it anyhow.

# 130 sportskid84 @ 10/19/09 02:38 PM
I hope they fixed the super bowl patch issue with created team

# 131 mdiggitydawg @ 10/19/09 02:52 PM
the fact that guys like ahmad bradshaw and marquis colston show up playing defensive back on their teams and that the 3-4 d doesnt work at all renders the game a complete waste...seriously how about patching something like the depth chart logic ...it's flawed seriously flawed

# 132 johnkorean @ 10/19/09 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggitydawg
the fact that guys like ahmad bradshaw and marquis colston show up playing defensive back on their teams and that the 3-4 d doesnt work at all renders the game a complete waste...seriously how about patching something like the depth chart logic ...it's flawed seriously flawed
Was Colston a starting DB? Or was he an emergency DB? Or was he in for 1 hail mary play?

# 133 TeamBuilder @ 10/19/09 03:35 PM
I would love to be able to run the Wildcat like the Dolphins do on Sunday. Against the Jets on MNF Ronnie Brown ran out of the pocket and then threw the ball.

(Plus he did it last year vs. the Pats)

# 134 Antwuan @ 10/19/09 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightallthetime
I couldn't have said it better myself
I totally disagree with this. I think you can add replays to this and it would be very good. I like how they pick out stats from games and how it shows standing in the seasons and nice stats from the games.

This can definitely be expanded and really make offline franchise very cool. I really hope EA doesn't remove it. I really think it kinda cool. May not watch it every week, but it's step 1 to creating a "story" for franchise.

While I'm on replays, please let's get the whole play on replays. This is PS3 and NCAA had it fine last year. There's really no excuse for this.

# 135 Antwuan @ 10/19/09 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaSnake16
Excellent post IMO. Rarings have to carry weight not "just be there."
Once again, I absolutely disagree. I see huge disparities from Peyton Manning and say Jamarcus Russell. HUGE. Russell does throw well on the run, Peyton, not so much. I've seen this. I've seen Russell put WAY too much on a pass (Th. power up, Deep accuracy low). I've also hit some with Russell, which by the way I should because he is a NFL quarterback and he's not going to miss EVERY throw.

That's just an example of 2 players and one position. Overall, I can defintely see improvement in making ratings "matter". I don't know what game y'all are playing.

# 136 mmorg @ 10/19/09 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antwuan
Once again, I absolutely disagree. I see huge disparities from Peyton Manning and say Jamarcus Russell. HUGE. Russell does throw well on the run, Peyton, not so much. I've seen this. I've seen Russell put WAY too much on a pass (Th. power up, Deep accuracy low). I've also hit some with Russell, which by the way I should because he is a NFL quarterback and he's not going to miss EVERY throw.

That's just an example of 2 players and one position. Overall, I can defintely see improvement in making ratings "matter". I don't know what game y'all are playing.
Speed and Throwing ratings seem to be the only ones the matter right now. It's sad.

# 137 ThaShark28_316 @ 10/19/09 06:06 PM
I just want a patch for spidey sense having defenders...the rarest thing you might see on a football field on sunday is a defender with his back to the ball being able to make a play on the ball without seeing it.

# 138 carnalnirvana @ 10/19/09 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antwuan

i'll tell you what take randy moss edit him to a DB put him on andre johnson and watch him shut him down

# 139 bgeno @ 10/19/09 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSRT
You should have caught hell because that type of thinking is stupid. The gameplay can be absolutely flawless but if the atmosphere isnt there, the game fails. Period.
Absolutely baffling.

I don't agree with this at all.

How can you think that? Who plays for cut scenes and overlays? Don't you people play the game to play football?

If the game doesn't play like football, then what good is atmosphere?

Quote:
They can upgrade both at the same time. No need to completely scrap one in favor of the other. Thats just damn idiotic.
That's not true either.

There's only so much time, money and other resources... especially with patches. You can't do everything at once. Something has to have a higher priority than something else.

# 140 roadman @ 10/19/09 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeno
Absolutely baffling.

I don't agree with this at all.

How can you think that? Who plays for cut scenes and overlays? Don't you people play the game to play football?

If the game doesn't play like football, then what good is atmosphere?

That's not true either.

There's only so much time, money and other resources... especially with patches. You can't do everything at once. Something has to have a higher priority than something else.
They have different departments just like every other company. It's not unusual to have the game play department work on game play, the art department work on art, the presentation dept work on presentation, the franchise dept work on franchise, etc.......

Game play as well as presentation needed updating. The last 2 versions have been boring to play.

If you don't like the cut scenes or they become repetitious, at least you have an option to skip them. I saw one just today where the home team was beating the vs team by a few scores and with less than 2 minutes left in the game, the camera panned to the vs. team fans exiting.

That adds to atmosphere. Presentation enhances game play.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.