Home
Madden 2010 News Post

Check out the Madden NFL 10 blog, which talks about the preliminary details of the 2nd title update.

Quote:
"In this second title update we focused on some of the more debated topics from our loyal and passionate fan base. We appreciate all the feedback so please keep it coming! In this update you will be happy to hear that we have tuned our Flat Zone assignments to cover the flats more effectively. Defenders will not chuck a WR if another receiver is running a route towards their zone. This will help the defender be in better position to react to a quickly throw flat route and allow him to make a play. The flat zone defenders will also play the ball better if a pass is thrown behind the line of scrimmage as well as taking better pursuit angles after the catch to prevent the ball carrier from being able to get around the corner. This has been one of the top complaints that we have heard about and realized it was definitely something that we needed to address."

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 roadman @ 10/19/09 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler99
The above type of cut-scene does add to the game ... Extra Point imo adds ZERO value. "Pretend" half-time shows just don't work imo, never will. In-game cut-scenes on the other hand are definitely worth retaining.
I agree with that 100%, but I will say that because 08 and 09 were so boring, I do look at EP. It's not 100% what it could be, but in my case, I'll take it, to me, it's better than just end of the game highlights and not having anything at all.

# 142 swiftychampleone @ 10/20/09 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeno
Absolutely baffling.

I don't agree with this at all.

How can you think that? Who plays for cut scenes and overlays? Don't you people play the game to play football?

If the game doesn't play like football, then what good is atmosphere?

That's not true either.

There's only so much time, money and other resources... especially with patches. You can't do everything at once. Something has to have a higher priority than something else.
Honestly, I don't care how great gameplay is. If the atmosphere is bad, who wants to play it? 20 years ago on NES and Genesis this stuff didn't matter. As technology has grown over 20 years, how can we not have high expectations for it to mirror the real NFL? The thorough recap shows and fluent commentary happens on Sunday. Similar to what EA advertised as the tagline for this game right? There's no excuse for why any of this can't happen. Atmosphere and Gameplay should be a marriage in all sports games. Commentary in Madden is horrible, but NBA 2K10 and MLB The Show 09 commentary is SICK? Am I missing something here? I'm not directing this at you BGeno, but some gamers need to stop settling for less and raise your expectations.

IMO, there is something seriously wrong if a person plays the masterpieces of presentation and gameplay like NFL 2K5 and Madden 04 & 05 on last gen systems and comes over to next-gen and NOT ask for even better.

# 143 Exonerated @ 10/20/09 01:09 AM
Conflicting perspectives occur because of a unique stance to the topic at hand.

# 144 KBLover @ 10/20/09 02:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftychampleone
Honestly, I don't care how great gameplay is. If the atmosphere is bad, who wants to play it?
I do.

I want football to played well on a football game.

If that doesn't happen, all the realistic atmosphere and grass getting chewed up and halftime shows don't matter to me.

I liked 2K5 - not for the halftime show, but for the depth of the gameplay and the weekly planning system.

Maybe because I'm a text-sim player at heart (OOTP, Baseball Mogul, etc) I care less about graphics over balanced and realistic gameplay and game systems, but I would MUCH rather have Madden play the game of football very well over giving me the TV-Show like presentation.

MLB The Show was brought up. It's awesome in commentary - but if it played a poor game of baseball, I would be saying "that's nice - great commentary" and not play much because the sport itself is played too poorly.

Given the way the Madden gameplay is, I'm not asking for less by wanting it perfected as much as possible.

# 145 Old Mr T @ 10/20/09 03:57 AM
It's obviously a personal choice but for me;

1.) Gameplay
2.) Presentation

I don't agree with the sentiment that one has to be sacrificed for the other. Surely both aspects can be built upon as the game matures.

The advantage of Madden releasing a new version year upon year is that it allows them to keep building upon what they already have.

Extra Point for example is a good idea and should remain. Let's hope it's just the start of what the presentation can be. It's severely lacking in content but I see it as a basic building block for an aspect of the game which be improved massively.

The same applies to gameplay.

What I can't abide is when parts of the game are removed. There is no excuse for that whatsoever (Removing the much loved Madden Classic Cam really baffled me and has affected my enjoyment of the game).

As long as Madden aims to keep improving and adding to the game (as opposed to removing things) then I see no reason why both gameplay and presentation can't receive substantial improvements for Madden 11.

# 146 bgeno @ 10/20/09 07:50 AM
Quote:
Honestly, I don't care how great gameplay is. If the atmosphere is bad, who wants to play it?
If the gameplay was sick, I'd play it. Atmosphere gets old, gameplay keeps me coming back for more.

Quote:
Am I missing something here? I'm not directing this at you BGeno, but some gamers need to stop settling for less and raise your expectations.
You're talking to people who prefer gameplay over presentation about settling for less? Pot, meet kettle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
So if gameplay was as tight as the real thing in Madden 08, you'd be happy as pie with that????
Absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
I do.

If that doesn't happen, all the realistic atmosphere and grass getting chewed up and halftime shows don't matter to me.
Bingo.

I can watch football on Sundays for realistic halftime shows and cut scenes and all that jazz. In fact, everything there is done PERFECT.

What I can't do on Sundays (or any other time for that matter) is control my team, take over the coaching duties and tell a player almost exactly what to do.

I can do presentation every weekend, but I can't do gameplay.

Maybe you guys should try Blitz: The League? And I don't mean that in a condescending tone. It, admittedly, has some neat cut scenes and presentation elements.

# 147 swiftychampleone @ 10/20/09 08:42 AM
Quote:
I do.

I liked 2K5 - not for the halftime show, but for the depth of the gameplay and the weekly planning system.

Maybe because I'm a text-sim player at heart (OOTP, Baseball Mogul, etc) I care less about graphics over balanced and realistic gameplay and game systems, but I would MUCH rather have Madden play the game of football very well over giving me the TV-Show like presentation.

MLB The Show was brought up. It's awesome in commentary - but if it played a poor game of baseball, I would be saying "that's nice - great commentary" and not play much because the sport itself is played too poorly.

Given the way the Madden gameplay is, I'm not asking for less by wanting it perfected as much as possible.
I also want football to be played well. Both should be done right. If you noticed my earlier post, I hit on how important gameplay is. What I'm saying is, one should no be sacrificed for the other. Like Roadman stated, there are separate groups on the EA team that work on different areas of the game. So my question to EA is, what's the problem?

# 148 swiftychampleone @ 10/20/09 10:02 AM
Quote:
If the gameplay was sick, I'd play it. Atmosphere gets old, gameplay keeps me coming back for more.

You're talking to people who prefer gameplay over presentation about settling for less? Pot, meet kettle.

Absolutely.

Bingo.

I can watch football on Sundays for realistic halftime shows and cut scenes and all that jazz. In fact, everything there is done PERFECT.

What I can't do on Sundays (or any other time for that matter) is control my team, take over the coaching duties and tell a player almost exactly what to do.

I can do presentation every weekend, but I can't do gameplay.

Maybe you guys should try Blitz: The League? And I don't mean that in a condescending tone. It, admittedly, has some neat cut scenes and presentation elements.
Pot, meet kettle? Where and how? Please explain because I never shot down anyone who preferred gameplay over presentation. My theory is that BOTH should be done well. I clearly said in my earlier post that atmosphere and gameplay should a marriage.

Gameplay should be an automatic in any game. It's like the engine of a car, it must perform well. But why stop there? Let's make that car look great. Let throw in all the sounds and feel of true NFL broadcast like we see on Sundays. We have the technology to do all of this correctly. We shouldn't be sitting here saying, "Go play Blitz or that's what the real NFL is for or it's just a video game." If that stuff doesn't matter to you BGeno, no ill will or hate towards you and totally respect your opinion. But people have to ask themselves, "Why does EA have the ESPN and NFL exclusivity if they won't integrate much of at all?"

# 149 bgeno @ 10/20/09 11:29 AM
Quote:
Pot, meet kettle? Where and how? Please explain because I never shot down anyone who preferred gameplay over presentation. My theory is that BOTH should be done well. I clearly said in my earlier post that atmosphere and gameplay should a marriage.
My bad, man. I didn't notice that. Sorry.

::edit::

No, I'm going to stick with the pot vs. kettle thing...

Quote:
On topic, though...

Quote:
Gameplay should be an automatic in any game. It's like the engine of a car, it must perform well. But why stop there? Let's make that car look great. Let throw in all the sounds and feel of true NFL broadcast like we see on Sundays. We have the technology to do all of this correctly.
That sounds great in theory. But, like I said, even though there are two development departments in the design of a game (visual/presentation and gameplay), there is still only so much time and so many resources.

There are ALWAYS going to be some things that get priority over others, especially in a patch. You may have to sacrifice a gameplay element for presentation or vice versa. You can't get everything all the time.

Quote:
We shouldn't be sitting here saying, "Go play Blitz or that's what the real NFL is for or it's just a video game." If that stuff doesn't matter to you BGeno, no ill will or hate towards you and totally respect your opinion. But people have to ask themselves, "Why does EA have the ESPN and NFL exclusivity if they won't integrate much of at all?"
And people also have to ask themselves, "What's the point of the utilizing the ESPN license if the game plays like crap?"

Why not put extra resources into making the game PLAY like real football, as opposed to it just LOOKING like real football? After all, it's a game that you're supposed to play, not a movie you're supposed to watch.

# 150 swiftychampleone @ 10/20/09 12:33 PM
Quote:
My bad, man. I didn't notice that. Sorry.

::edit::

No, I'm going to stick with the pot vs. kettle thing...

On topic, though...

That sounds great in theory. But, like I said, even though there are two development departments in the design of a game (visual/presentation and gameplay), there is still only so much time and so many resources.

There are ALWAYS going to be some things that get priority over others, especially in a patch. You may have to sacrifice a gameplay element for presentation or vice versa. You can't get everything all the time.

And people also have to ask themselves, "What's the point of the utilizing the ESPN license if the game plays like crap?"

Why not put extra resources into making the game PLAY like real football, as opposed to it just LOOKING like real football? After all, it's a game that you're supposed to play, not a movie you're supposed to watch.
Nah, no big deal. I thought you meant Pot calling kettle. That's on me

You see, 2Krules makes a great point, BGeno. Where I come from, I spend a lot of my time as a single player in Franchise Mode. All the quirks of presentation means a lot to me. You have a point that we can get everything, but it can come close. We can also expect a top notch effort as well. I'm not big on baseball games, but it makes no sense how deep that MLB 09 Show team went with presentation AND GAMEPLAY. Sometimes you have to compare sports games angainst each other and measure them up.

The gameplay can be great and of course it's king. However, what else can Madden 10 do? This involves the presentation and modes around it. What can Madden 10 do to keep me playing? In my eyesight and MANY others, Franchise Mode is broken and still not entertaining. Look at what Franchise Mode was on the last gen systems (04-06) and look at what it is now? I was able to play 6 or 7 years of Franchise mode with ease and no regret on last gen. Can't say the same about that mode now.

Once again, look at the technology of the systems we have now. We should be able to play AND take in the environment of the games. This should apply to all games and not be an exception to sports games.

# 151 ddanese1978 @ 10/20/09 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
Check out the Madden NFL 10 blog, which talks about the preliminary details of the 2nd title update.
IAN or WHOEVER MAKES DECISIONS,

When is the Tackling Bug going to be fixed? This is getting ridicules! The game DOES NOT ADD tackles + assists - Total Tackles.. LIKE IT SHOULD! this is the EASIEST bug to fix and was not addressed in the 1st patch.. and it appears its not being addressed AGAIN!.. this should be #1 on your top priority list!

PLEASE.. I am begging you.. PLEASE fix that NOW! Franchise mode is UNPLAYABLE until you fix this!

PLEASE... PLEASE .. FIX THIS!!!

# 152 RumbleCard @ 10/20/09 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddanese1978
IAN or WHOEVER MAKES DECISIONS,

When is the Tackling Bug going to be fixed? This is getting ridicules! The game DOES NOT ADD tackles + assists - Total Tackles.. LIKE IT SHOULD! this is the EASIEST bug to fix and was not addressed in the 1st patch.. and it appears its not being addressed AGAIN!.. this should be #1 on your top priority list!

PLEASE.. I am begging you.. PLEASE fix that NOW! Franchise mode is UNPLAYABLE until you fix this!

PLEASE... PLEASE .. FIX THIS!!!
Looman said this was part of the fixes going into "franchise". He even showed updated screens with the proper calculations.

# 153 ddanese1978 @ 10/20/09 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumbleCard
Looman said this was part of the fixes going into "franchise". He even showed updated screens with the proper calculations.
Really?? This will be in the 2nd patch??

If this is true.. THANK GOD!

# 154 Bellsprout @ 10/20/09 02:11 PM
Soooo we're not fixing the glitchy running animation on long runs that causes Chris Johnson to be caught from behind by linebackers? I realize it's supposed to mirror fatigue in real life, but it's mostly just annoying.

And yes, I understand that the list isn't complete.

And yes, the stuff that IS in the patch sounds fantastic.

# 155 sportyguyfl31 @ 10/20/09 02:15 PM
If the hook zone awareness is addressed, that combined with the flats beingresolved will allow me to play the game without losing my sanity.

# 156 KBLover @ 10/20/09 02:59 PM
Quote:
Once again, look at the technology of the systems we have now. We should be able to play AND take in the environment of the games. This should apply to all games and not be an exception to sports games.
Yeah, but AI takes resources.

It's why the AI sucks in a lot of games, sports or otherwise - it takes resources away from the "sellable back of the box" stuff, especially if the game is more for hot-seat/head-to-head/or online-MP play. It's hard to show off great AI, it's easy to show off great environments, photo-realistic jerseys, and high-res graphics.

In a sports game, the AI has to be even better because it's acting as much as coach as it is each individual player AND doing so for every player on the field, except the one(s) the human(s) is/are controlling. If the game is to play football well, the AI has to improve because playcalling is HUGE in football as is scheme and philosophy of the coach (what player skill sets he wants for his team). Also, situations in football are more numerous and complex.

If we get all those right AND top level presentation, I wonder if that's even possible? I've not played a football game that's had all that, not even 2K5.

# 157 swiftychampleone @ 10/20/09 03:43 PM
Quote:
Yeah, but AI takes resources.

It's why the AI sucks in a lot of games, sports or otherwise - it takes resources away from the "sellable back of the box" stuff, especially if the game is more for hot-seat/head-to-head/or online-MP play. It's hard to show off great AI, it's easy to show off great environments, photo-realistic jerseys, and high-res graphics.

In a sports game, the AI has to be even better because it's acting as much as coach as it is each individual player AND doing so for every player on the field, except the one(s) the human(s) is/are controlling. If the game is to play football well, the AI has to improve because playcalling is HUGE in football as is scheme and philosophy of the coach (what player skill sets he wants for his team). Also, situations in football are more numerous and complex.

If we get all those right AND top level presentation, I wonder if that's even possible? I've not played a football game that's had all that, not even 2K5.
I respect your opinion, but...

I'm going to tell you why I'm not buying the resources argument. NFL 2K5 AND Madden 05 both had really good gameplay and presentation. Actually, 2K5 had better presentation that is STILL acknowledged and will leave any next-gen Madden (07-10) presentation dead in the water. Now that was on Xbox/PS2. How do you go from those systems to the technology X360/PS3 and not be able to pull this off and do it even better?

Real talk, something does NOT add up here. Let's be serious folks and think about this for a second...

# 158 swiftychampleone @ 10/20/09 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfos81
Its all about the mighty dollar.

The truth is EA wants to sell the same game over multiple platforms.
They could fit everything they need on a Blu-Ray disc but then that game would only produce money off of 1 platform.

Really having all these different platforms(360, PSP, PS2, PS3, Wii, etc). is hendering the programmers ability to produce the highest quality game for us.

If Sony ever gets a chance to produce a football game that uses all it can on a Blu-Ray disc, that would be the day next-gen actually becomes next-gen for football gamers.

Until then will be dealing w/ have arsed games just so they can sell more of the same b/s over multiple platforms.

I really pray for the day that Sony(Incognito or someone exclusive to sony) gets the chance to produce a football game exclusive to SONY!
That would be the day a real football next-gen game is produced.

This is just mho.
You just hit the nail on the head! Another reason why the game is held back. I didn't want to go there because we all know what a Madden developed on Blu-Ray would do! It would be a crime if that happen, lol! I still think that the DVD format could give us that quality gameplay and presentation that we want so bad.

# 159 swiftychampleone @ 10/20/09 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfos81
Again, I wonder(been doing alot of that today lol) how much space is left on Blu-Ray disc w/ Madden 10 on it?
Dvd may be able to hold a good game on it but it doesn't have the stay power of Blu-Ray.
I actually think the 360/dvds may be holding back the evolution of next gen gaming all together, again just mho.

If they can't fix pancakes, simple football animations, etc. Whats holding them back competence, dvd, greediness, 360 what?
I hate to start the console wars here, but I think the 360 is holding us back. We all know that Blu-Ray holds over 5X more space than a standard DVD. Multi-platform games are made for 360 and ported over to PS3. If it was the other way, Xbox 360 would need a second disc and that would cost Microsoft money, big time. If Sony was winning this console war, this wouldn't be a problem but Sony was so STUPID for their high price system in the beginning that no one really wanted to develop for it for fear of poor game sales. No offense, but it's time for developers to tell MS to get a blu-ray component for their system because it's not enough space to move forward.

# 160 capn_razzamataz @ 10/20/09 05:27 PM
Tiburon (Ian in particular, if I'm not mistaken) have stated that it's not disk space, but rather system memory (AKA RAM) is the limiting factor in this generation. Both X360 and PS3 are severely lacking in memory.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.