Home
NHL 10 News Post

The NHL 10 patch is now available for the Xbox 360 and PS3. Post your impressions here.

Quote:
"Here are a couple of the key fixes that we've made in the Title Update:

Fixed the exploit to slap-shot a 5-hole goal from below the face-off circle.

* Although our goalies are much improved in NHL 10, there was an exploit when shooting from below the face-off circle that resulted in a goal more often than not. The goalies are now tuned to better handle shots from this area.

Increased speed of passes with Manual passing on.

* This year we added Hardcore Passing (manual passing) that gave you total control of your pass speed and direction. Overall, the new passing was well received but the consensus was that you should be able to pass the puck harder and that the bottom-end speed was too slow. We've increased the bottom-end speed so the passes are crisper and also increased the top-end slightly as well.

Reduced the ability to boardplay players who are far away from you.

* It was a little unrealistic being able to 'suck' a player into boardplay as he was skating away from you so we've made it much harder to pin a player that is skating away. The further he is from you, the less likely you'll be able to boardplay him.

Tuning of trade logic.

* Too many superstars were being offered up for trades so we've dialed this back along with reducing how often players are repeatedly offered up for trade.

Added the ability for a user to apply boost slots to authentic helmets.

* We've added the ability to apply boost slots to an authentic helmet so users can get the benefit of the boosts without having to wear a helmet with a design on it.

Here are some of the other main fixes that will be in the Title Update:

* Fixed the bug that would make a player sometimes exit pass blocking (L1/LT) when they got close to their goalie.
* Fixed the bug that would prevent offline Be a Pro player from getting ice-time in some situations.
* Fixed a crash that could happen on delayed penalty shots.
* Improved logic for how fighting affects teamplay scores in Be a Pro.
* Prevent L1/LT from allowing players to bypass stumble animations.
* Improvements to goalies to reduce 5-hole goals in some contexts.
* Tuned thresholds for injuries from hard shots.
* Added the ability to escape a prefight circle by pressing L2/LB.
* Fixed the bug that made it possible to "shoot" a puck slowly out of the one-handed animation such that nobody could pick it up.
* Improved goalie aggressiveness when poking the puck on cross-crease passes.
* Improved the ability of defencemen are able to do puck pickups behind them to help defend cross-crease passes.
* Reduced the ability to stuff the puck through the goalie by running into him without shooting (most common on wraparounds and reaching puck pickups).
* Reduced accidental interference in front of net.
* Fixed the offline Be a Pro line-change bug where the player is stuck at the bench.
* Prevent slap passes from being deflected at large angles.
* Fixed the bug where the goalie does not react to a shot if he's banging his stick on the ice to signal the end of a penalty.
* Fixed the bug that makes flip dumps to the middle of the offensive zone go over the glass frequently.
* Fixed the bug that makes CPU center win draws to the the same side all of the time.
* Fixed the bug in the stat tracking of passing.
* Prevent accidental saucer passes after receiving the puck while trying to poke check (because both actions are on R1/RT).
* Tuning to reduce occurrence of tripping penalties when the player being tripped is stationary or moving slowly.
* Tuning to game logic to make it a little easier to stay up on the NHL team during 4-game trial in BAP.
* Many other changes to improve our ability to refine the gameplay tuning with via tuner sets."

NHL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NHL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 28 - View All
NHL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 DGuinta1 @ 11/21/09 03:29 PM
I am FINALLY doing well in this game. Downloaded the latest rosters and I am winning. Finally realized and should have done this sooner, pinning the guys to the boards really helps defensively. No longer getting owned by the CPU on All-Star. Also being more conscious of taking stupid penalties. Go Rangers!!

# 162 Qb @ 11/21/09 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorismary
Thanks , but sadly when I tried to play a simple Playoff mode its a cpu boost fest just unplayable I wouldnt even mind but I cant even create 2 slider sets to address this as I love playing all mode .
Also checkout faceoffs did they add these lockouts if I lose my stick doesnt even move
1. I remember playing playoff mode when the game first came out and having to turn down aggressiveness (I had it at max for exhibition I think). It seemed they ramped up the aggression to simulate the nature of playoff hockey, so try turning it down a notch or two if you have it high normally.

2. What's so hard about changing the sliders? It takes seconds to make a few tweaks and you can simply write down your settings. It may not be ideal, but it's not impossible.

3. I played a lot of center in OTP and have experienced just about every faceoff nuance there is. It's probably not the evil AI brain saying "let's screw dorismary, he's just too good at this game..." Your timing is likely off, probably going too late. I've had many times online where this happens, my game doesn't even try to win the draw, just kind of jumps in place. My timing was off and/or lag contributed.

Hope this helps.

# 163 Dwaffler @ 11/22/09 01:20 PM
Overall, I think the patch has done some nice improvements. The CPU trading is still a bit off I think, way too much of that going on in the off season, seeing all kinds of people being traded. But, I can live with them.

A couple of things I've noticed in the patch. I noticed that in BAP mode, there will be some NHL guys down in the minors. Not talking about the guys with the 70's rating, I'm talking about guys in the 80's overall. I was picked by Toronto as the 3rd pick as a Offensive D, and found Kaberle (85) and Ian White (81) down in the Marlies. Finished my first season with Toronto, went through the off-season, and found that Kaberle is still down, but White got traded. I was hoping that Kaberle would come up, but no luck.

I aslo saw in the patch that they made it easier to stay up with the NHL team after your 4 games. So, I started a BAP player as an Offensive D, got picked 1st by Colorado. After 4 games, I was 0G, 4A and a +3, got told I was being kept up. I guess that was ok, but then after another game, I was promoted up to the second line!!!. So, I tried another player as a playmaker LW (to see if it was a fluke), getting picked 4th by Anaheim. Well, after 5 games, 0G, 0A and a -5, I'm still up with Anaheim. Never got told I was staying up or being sent down. I think it's a little to easy to stay up. I liked the other way better, you got a feel for the NHL for a couple of games, got sent down to the AHL only to work your way back up. Even with the old way, I still think it's a little to easy. With my Toronto defensivemen, I still made it up after about 20 games down and made it to the first NHL defensive pairing by game 60 in the season. Started the second season, I'm still on the first pair (as a 75), paired with Luke Scheen (84). The rest of the pairing average in the 80's

Maybe I'm one of the very few that's looking for a bit of realism in this part of the game. With my Toronto guy, I can see him coming up fast, since I was at 9G and 15A in 28 games with the Marlies, and finished the NHL season (combined AHL/NHL stats) with 20G and 48A, although a miserable -31!!! . So, I can see them bringing me up after the stats I was putting up in the AHL. But, when I started the other guys to test the staying up modification, I found it was way too easy to stay up. Maybe they could put a slider in there to toughen it up for those who like it tough to stay up or get moved up.

# 164 Dwaffler @ 11/22/09 06:12 PM
Getting the perfect slider combination does make for fun game play. The ones I use from OBG are very fun to use. It seems to be the right balance for both my son and I, we both have BAP careers going on.

# 165 Vikes1 @ 11/23/09 02:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorismary
Correct me if im wrong but I think its been 1 patch and 2 or 3 tuners not by the game but one was there when I got the game and there was 4 roster DL ?
As far as I know Dorismary, your correct...one patch so far.

I wonder if theres any plans to release a second patch?

# 166 Qb @ 11/23/09 09:14 AM
I recently asked Redshirt if there are any plans for another patch or future tuning changes. I'll let you know what he says...

# 167 kestrel @ 11/23/09 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
I recently asked Redshirt if there are any plans for another patch or future tuning changes. I'll let you know what he says...
I would hope that there's another patch as there are still freezing issues that need to be fixed. The one in particular that I am facing, mentioned also in this thread, involves playing a game with or against the AHL's San Antonio Rampage--the game freezes before the uniform selection screen.

# 168 Steven547 @ 11/23/09 04:43 PM
Hopefully a patch to fix the injury situation where your player gets injured (and the CPU's as well)....they skate over to the bench, and just stand there until the play stops, giving you or the CPU a player advantage for that time.

# 169 plaidchuck @ 11/23/09 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Hopefully they'll have one more patch coming.. haven't plaeyd the game in about a month and a half what with newer games and the cpu offensive AI being too predictable... At the least I would have hoped they would address the online play and tweak the goalies to stop the one-timer fest...

# 170 Vikes1 @ 12/04/09 01:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGuinta1
I am FINALLY doing well in this game. Downloaded the latest rosters and I am winning. Finally realized and should have done this sooner, pinning the guys to the boards really helps defensively. No longer getting owned by the CPU on All-Star. Also being more conscious of taking stupid penalties. Go Rangers!!
Yep DG...I'm at least starting to turn the corner on All-Star too.

I believe one of the reasons for me getting better is...someone [can't remember who] suggested using "tight point" as a defensive strategy. I really think this has helped a lot. I was using the "collapsing" strategy for quite a while. The collapsing strategy seemed to help the cpu to have the open ice to have a shooting gallery against me. Whereas the tight point, seems to put a man on man type of coverage. Not giving up nearly as much open ice. I'm far from an expert...but this seems to be whats happening with the tight point.

Also, my players seem to be better at contesting the neutral zone now as well. Vs letting the cpu have a free skate into my zone. I'm also learning to be a bit more patient with the puck down deep. Instead of just shooting at any given chance. I still don't win too often. But my scoring is going up, and like you, my penalty time is going down. For awhile there, I thought I just couldn't compete on AS. But yeah...I'm slowly coming around too.

# 171 Fiddy @ 12/04/09 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrel
I would hope that there's another patch as there are still freezing issues that need to be fixed. The one in particular that I am facing, mentioned also in this thread, involves playing a game with or against the AHL's San Antonio Rampage--the game freezes before the uniform selection screen.
do you use any custom music? i had freezes after the patch as well, i deleted the menu music i was using and havent had a freeze since.

# 172 kestrel @ 12/04/09 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
do you use any custom music? i had freezes after the patch as well, i deleted the menu music i was using and havent had a freeze since.
I use custom sounds for in-game situations (goals, penalty, off-play, etc.), not for the menu. I'll try a game in a different profile and see what happens.

Have you tried playing a game with or against San Antonio? Do you have any other music set, or is everything on default?

EDIT: I was able to "start fresh" in another profile and play a game against San Antonion (well, I didn't finish, but I got to the game), however, I set all the music back to the default playlist on my regular profile and my game still froze. In fact, I "started fresh" (no settings file) on my regular profile, skipped the tutorial, and the game still froze. Hrmm...

# 173 ether @ 12/18/09 07:36 PM
There will be a new tuner set coming in January.

http://www.easports.com/blogs/inthec...me-of-the-year

# 174 ether @ 12/18/09 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven547
Hopefully a patch to fix the injury situation where your player gets injured (and the CPU's as well)....they skate over to the bench, and just stand there until the play stops, giving you or the CPU a player advantage for that time.
If you play with manual line changes the player will go off the ice in that situation if you make a line or d-pair change. I know that's not the answer you're looking for but it can keep you from being shorthanded in the meantime.

# 175 Vikes1 @ 12/19/09 02:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ether

Thanks for the heads up Ether.

Looking forward to finding out what this tuner set will bring.

# 176 DJ @ 12/19/09 11:44 AM
Good to hear a new tuning set will be available.

I fired this game up the other day after a 2.5-week layoff (thanks, E74 error) and scored 6 goals my first game back! I was using the latest tuner set, too, so I guess you can still score goals in this game.

I did bump the CPU pass accuracy up 2 notches and it does directly affect the number of shots they take. I think shots were 27-26 in favor of the CPU (I play 9-min. periods) in the game I played.

# 177 plaidchuck @ 12/19/09 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ether

Wow I still hope they pop a second patch out in time for the playoffs maybe to address some of the AI and goalie issues.. it seems all these tuner updates ever do is mess with the manual pass speed (which was a good idea but seems like nobody uses it)

# 178 AliensLoveMetal @ 12/19/09 04:14 PM
Sweet!

# 179 Kevin26385 @ 12/26/09 01:06 PM
Just got the game yesterday and I am liking it so far. I started a be a pro mode (All-star difficulty) and got lucky and got a hat trick my first game for the lightning.

Did they get rid of playing for AHL teams in be a pro mode?

# 180 jkra0512 @ 12/26/09 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev5890
Just got the game yesterday and I am liking it so far. I started a be a pro mode (All-star difficulty) and got lucky and got a hat trick my first game for the lightning.

Did they get rid of playing for AHL teams in be a pro mode?

No, you have a chance to stick with the NHL team for like 4 games. If you don't do well enough, they send you down.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.