Home
NCAA Basketball 10 News Post

IGN has posted an interview with Connor Dougan, Lead Producer on NCAA Basketball 10.

Quote:
"The feeling of attending an NCAA basketball game is unlike any other, especially in March. The fans are rowdy and raucous and can totally change the outcome of a game if you're playing in one of the crazier arenas in the country. NCAA Basketball 10 has a new feature that adds life to the top 20 toughest places to play. If you let one of these home teams go on a run your attributes will take a hit, the camera will start to shake and the crowd volume will be turned up to an obscene level."

Game: NCAA Basketball 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 25 - View All
NCAA Basketball 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 ehh @ 10/29/09 09:25 AM
These rankings have absolutely no effect on the gameplay as far as I can remember based on last year.

# 22 DustinT @ 10/29/09 10:34 AM
Gonzaga's McCarthy Center better be on that list of 20...

# 23 RubenDouglas @ 10/29/09 11:18 AM
I wonder if UNM "the pit" is top 20. I'd call into question the producers and designers college bball knowledge if it wasnt'

a list is a list. but its all about bragging rights lol. if the game thinks your good, then your good.

UK is top 10 in attendance annually. Wisconsin, Maryland, and Memphis are in there as well. Illinoise, Michigan State... so many good ones out there.

THey should just do a top 3 per CONFERENCE and end it at that. A top 20 list does very little but cause commottion

# 24 common-sense @ 10/29/09 11:36 AM
its an ok feature, but what a terrible list.

Xavier? really? Like someone else said, they don't even have the best atmosphere in the A-10.

How are Wisconsin and Mich State not on this list? Wisconsin had a ridiculous streak of not losing at home. They should be top 10 easy.

# 25 Cusefan @ 10/29/09 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeCpt
What a joke!
How is Rupp not in the top 10? they lead in attendance every year. i have honestly never met a more rabid fan base.... I live in syrasnooze. not sure how they made the top 10.... clemson? omg! last time i saw tenn at home, meeks was busy dropping 54 on them... maybe football, not hoops. same with arkansas.. sorry! freaking florida basketball fans are non-existent! look at the attendance please!
please someone fix this! if this is going to impact a game, please get it right!!!
horrid... just horrid.
You live in Syracuse and your not a Syracuse Fan? Sounds like you Went Swimming in Onondaga Lake one too many times. When The Dome has over 25,000 people(which they do for most Games) There are very few Arenas in the nation that can match that noise. When they get over 30,000, Syracuse's Chances of winning increase Dramaticly. The Rankings are Effed up but Syracuse deserves to be in the top 10.

Seriously, How can you Vote Against This:

Bonus points if you can find the Georgetown Section

# 26 RayAllen20 @ 10/29/09 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlef316
totally unimpressed by this. It has been in NCAA football for like 4 years and probably took about 20 minutes to program. Plus, they didn't even take the time to come up with the rankings themselves. They just let the fans vote.

Another day and no dynasty info.

Sure makes me think they're hiding something (or nothing, for that matter).

Really? Are you a developer? You know for a fact it only took 20 minutes to program?

I love this feature idea. Its basically like CH2K8s 6th man meter except in top places the crowd shakes.

The list though is poorly done. I would have put it as:

1. Duke (Have you watched a game there!?!?)
2. Pittsburgh (The Zoo is crazy!)
3. UNC
4. Clemson
5. Kansas
6. Syracuse
7. Louisville
8. Maryland
9. Tennessee
10. Kentucky
11. Oregon (Kevin Love anybody?)
12. Illinois
13. New Mexico
14. Florida
15. UCLA
16. Arkansas
17. Michigan State
18. Gonzaga
19. Memphis
20. Xavier

I could argue for Connecticut but that would have to be only at Gampel and not the Hartford Civic Center

# 27 countryboy @ 10/29/09 03:06 PM
Fans voted for the toughest places to play, the devs didn't choose them. Should they have? Probably, but thats the decision they made.

At least, according to the interview, the toughest places to play will change, so if you're team isn't one of the top 20, you can put them there.

# 28 KG @ 10/29/09 03:19 PM
I'll give them a pass since it was fan voting but take that pass away for letting the fans vote.

# 29 Eski33 @ 10/29/09 03:28 PM
Duke at #5 behind Clemson, Xavier and Pitt??? Also, Michigan State not listed at all???? This list is crazy. The Breslin Center with the Izzone is one of the most difficult places to play in the country....

I would even argue that Cameron Indoor Stadium should be #1....My top 10:

1) Duke

2) Michigan State

3) Kansas

4) North Carolina

5) Louisville

6) New Mexico (The Pit is ridiculous)

7) Syracuse

8) Kentucky (although UK has struggled recently)

9) Pitt

10) Florida

# 30 TarHeelPhenom @ 10/29/09 04:08 PM
Being a diehard UNC fan, it's cool to see us sit at #1. However...that list is wayyyyyyy off. Don't get me wrong, the Dean Dome rocks, especially when the Dookies come to town and I feel should be in the top 5 toughest places to play. But, I would have to say that we are not #1. SOmetimes, as a fanbase we get spoiled by all of our success. So, we may enter the Dome against a second-tier opponent and not be as loud as we should. There are schools who rock the gymnasium regardless of who the opponent is. With that being said...and as hard as it is for me to say it...

#1 Duke
#2 Kansas
#3 UNC
#4 Pitt
#5 UK

# 31 pfunk880 @ 10/29/09 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgx2thez
I'll give them a pass since it was fan voting but take that pass away for letting the fans vote.
Haha, well said.

# 32 tlef316 @ 10/29/09 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAllen20
Really? Are you a developer? You know for a fact it only took 20 minutes to program?

I love this feature idea. Its basically like CH2K8s 6th man meter except in top places the crowd shakes.

The list though is poorly done. I would have put it as:

1. Duke (Have you watched a game there!?!?)
2. Pittsburgh (The Zoo is crazy!)
3. UNC
4. Clemson
5. Kansas
6. Syracuse
7. Louisville
8. Maryland
9. Tennessee
10. Kentucky
11. Oregon (Kevin Love anybody?)
12. Illinois
13. New Mexico
14. Florida
15. UCLA
16. Arkansas
17. Michigan State
18. Gonzaga
19. Memphis
20. Xavier

I could argue for Connecticut but that would have to be only at Gampel and not the Hartford Civic Center
no, I'm not a developer. But honestly, what did it take to make this "feature"?

If a school is on this top 20 list, I'm guessing that all that happens is that the crowd gets louder (which you can do yourself by turning up the volume button) and the controller vibrates a little more. Then the visiting players probably take a little ratings drop (especially if they're under classmen).

In all likelihood, the list will change in dynasty just based on the home record of the teams. They also probably had to add in a few little graphics and some commentary lines to reference the toughest places to play. So the bottom line is they added a few lines of commentary and added a few "If, then" statements (guys who have worked with very basic computer programming will know what means) into the code.

For an experienced programming team, this kind of thing could be done extremely easily. Hell, they probably just copied the code over from the NCAA Football code (toughest places to play was in that game like 3 years ago).

Until they roll out dynasty info, nothing else matters IMO. I love the new ESPN and CBS integration. I haven't played live, but people say the engine is solid. That's great stuff. But something like this a little gimmick that did not deserve a write up IMO. Until i see dynasty info,(features and proof that last year's problems were addressed) i just cant get excited about this game. The development team hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt.

# 33 YankeeCpt @ 10/29/09 04:51 PM
UK is #1 or #2 in attendance EVERY Year since 1978.
link: http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/stats...ceYBYtop25.pdf

I do live in Syracuse... much more I teach in the City Schools. Fans are hard to come by. For a Kentucky fan basketball is 365. Most peeps in Syracuse have no idea whats going on until Big East time. How many games do you think Syracuse sells out or comes close to selling out? A lot of games are blacked out simply cause Boeheim decides to play teams like: Binghamton, ALbany, Cornell, Colgate, Niagra, Canisius, Sienna, etc. Boeheims response: We do this because the football team doesnt make money. Just look at how many home games they play a year.

# 34 Koolie G @ 10/29/09 05:30 PM
That list is pretty weak. I will be the first to say that Rupp Arena is not the toughest place to play, but it is definitely in the top 20. Rupp might be #1 for big games, but game in and game out, it's not as intimidating as a Cameron, or the Pit, etc. North Carolina is in the same boat as Kentucky. It's a great atmosphere where the people know their basketball, but their gym is not intimidating as far as crowd noise goes. Rupp and the Dean Dome are intimidating because of the history, tradition, number of fans and the fact that both teams rarely lose in their home arena. The fan vote should not have been used as a basis.

Does anyone really think when you take your team to Tennessee or Clemson, and you have a better team, that you won't come out with a win because the crowd is so influential? That might happen at UNC, New Mexico, Pitt, UK or Duke, but probably not UT or Clemson.

# 35 pfunk880 @ 10/29/09 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlef316
no, I'm not a developer. But honestly, what did it take to make this "feature"?

If a school is on this top 20 list, I'm guessing that all that happens is that the crowd gets louder (which you can do yourself by turning up the volume button) and the controller vibrates a little more. Then the visiting players probably take a little ratings drop (especially if they're under classmen).

In all likelihood, the list will change in dynasty just based on the home record of the teams. They also probably had to add in a few little graphics and some commentary lines to reference the toughest places to play. So the bottom line is they added a few lines of commentary and added a few "If, then" statements (guys who have worked with very basic computer programming will know what means) into the code.

For an experienced programming team, this kind of thing could be done extremely easily. Hell, they probably just copied the code over from the NCAA Football code (toughest places to play was in that game like 3 years ago).

Until they roll out dynasty info, nothing else matters IMO. I love the new ESPN and CBS integration. I haven't played live, but people say the engine is solid. That's great stuff. But something like this a little gimmick that did not deserve a write up IMO. Until i see dynasty info,(features and proof that last year's problems were addressed) i just cant get excited about this game. The development team hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt.
Agreed completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedrumsdw
Clemson has a repeated history of strong starts and meltdowns late in the year. This is a joke; Clemson has the worst home winning percentage in ACC basketball history 51%, 196 wins 182 losses.
wow

You would think they could have done just a little bit of research and made an honest attempt to come up with a decent list on their own...

# 36 Cusefan @ 10/29/09 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeCpt
UK is #1 or #2 in attendance EVERY Year since 1978.
link: http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/stats...ceYBYtop25.pdf

I do live in Syracuse... much more I teach in the City Schools. Fans are hard to come by. For a Kentucky fan basketball is 365. Most peeps in Syracuse have no idea whats going on until Big East time. How many games do you think Syracuse sells out or comes close to selling out? A lot of games are blacked out simply cause Boeheim decides to play teams like: Binghamton, ALbany, Cornell, Colgate, Niagra, Canisius, Sienna, etc. Boeheims response: We do this because the football team doesnt make money. Just look at how many home games they play a year.
Ok that Reason is complete BS. Like Kentucky, Syracuse has its DieHards and its fans who only cheer when everyone else does. Last year, no games were blacked out and its the same this year, NO GAMES ARE BLACKED OUT.

Also, Syracuse plays these teams from throughout the state for two reasons, Branding. Syracuse likes to prove its the best Team in the state and they have played alot of these teams for a very long time. And not all of these teams are Crap, Cornell, Siena, and Niagara are all capable of making noise come tournament time. And since Syracuse has always played these teams, i doubt he would make a statement about the Football team not bringing in any money because that was not always the case.

# 37 gdav125 @ 10/29/09 06:25 PM
Clemson?!?!?!.....Was I supposed to start laughing when I saw that. Because I did. I see them regularly because of regional coverage, so they're getting better, but #2? Clemson at #20 is reasonable. Tennessee gets love though. I've been saying for years even before Bruce Pearl got there, UT is a sleeper job. And oh yeah. Dynasty will probably suck again this year. Based on no new info and 3 weeks til realease.

# 38 whittleboy615 @ 10/29/09 06:29 PM
Did some of you guys not watch the video or read the interview? There is no way this took only 20 minutes.

Additions that I count:
- new team specific chants
- made the crowd more vibrant (i.e. waving hands during FTs)
- upped the crowd volume and responsiveness to scoring runs
- made the camera shake
- added code to drop opposing team's ratings at proper situations
- added code to make rankings change every year in Dynasty
- added new Toughest Places graphics
- new Toughest Places commentary

I'm willing to bet that just recording a few new commentary lines about the arenas took more than 20 minutes.

Granted this isn't a huge new feature, but better game atmosphere and crowd intelligence are welcome improvements. Seeing the stands rock during a close rivalry is an awesome feeling when playing a video game. It does make a difference.

Just be patient. Dynasty info will eventually come. And if it doesn't, I'm sure some people on here will review the game mode to let you know if it has been improved before you spend $60.

# 39 DustinT @ 10/29/09 07:06 PM
NBA 2k10 didn't release that much info until a couple weeks before release.

# 40 jd@os @ 10/29/09 07:35 PM
As you can see, I'm a UNC fan but I don't think they have the toughest venue to play in. I've been there, and you're not a fan of college basketball if you walk in the Smith Center and don't get awestruck. But toughest? I gotta disagree.

But Clemson? Clemson? I've been there, too, and...no. Clemson doesn't even make my top 10. That was a mistake. They have a great football atmosphere in Death Valley for football, but Littlejohn is NOT #2.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.