Home
NCAA Basketball 10 News Post

IGN has posted an interview with Connor Dougan, Lead Producer on NCAA Basketball 10.

Quote:
"The feeling of attending an NCAA basketball game is unlike any other, especially in March. The fans are rowdy and raucous and can totally change the outcome of a game if you're playing in one of the crazier arenas in the country. NCAA Basketball 10 has a new feature that adds life to the top 20 toughest places to play. If you let one of these home teams go on a run your attributes will take a hit, the camera will start to shake and the crowd volume will be turned up to an obscene level."

Game: NCAA Basketball 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 25 - View All
NCAA Basketball 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 joesto54 @ 10/29/09 07:39 PM
FANS VOTED ON THE RANKINGS.

# 42 soxnut1018 @ 10/29/09 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesto54
AND THAT WAS A HORRIBLE IDEA.

# 43 joesto54 @ 10/29/09 07:54 PM
AGREED. lol

# 44 jd@os @ 10/29/09 07:57 PM
Quote:
And I'm talking to fans--not developers. I have been to Littlejohn Coliseum and it is NOT one of the two toughest places to play.

And I'm really not saying this to be mean, but Kentucky got rolled by Gardner Webb recently, and I believe it was at Rupp. So, no. Don't complain about UK not being up on the list.

# 45 joesto54 @ 10/29/09 08:00 PM
"Kentucky got rolled by Gardner Webb recently"

Pre calipari... whole different ball game now with wall and co.

# 46 Hurricain @ 10/29/09 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd@os
And I'm talking to fans--not developers. I have been to Littlejohn Coliseum and it is NOT one of the two toughest places to play.

And I'm really not saying this to be mean, but Kentucky got rolled by Gardner Webb recently, and I believe it was at Rupp. So, no. Don't complain about UK not being up on the list.
Haha, you know this game is based on the 2009/2010 teams and arenas? give me a break.

# 47 jd@os @ 10/29/09 08:40 PM
Quote:
"Kentucky got rolled by Gardner Webb recently"

Pre calipari... whole different ball game now with wall and co.
Sorry. Didn't know Cal, Wall, and co are going to vault Rupp into one of the toughest places to play.

Roy Williams, Hansbrough, and company didn't make the Smith Center a tough place to play. It was tough to win there BEFORE they arrived. I'm just saying the Smith Center isn't THE toughest to play / win in, and that Rupp won't change because of a coach who's known to have controversy follow him.

Look, I meant no disrespect to UK. I was just sayin.

# 48 Koolie G @ 10/29/09 09:10 PM
Kentucky is 427-60 (.877) at Rupp Arena.

North Carolina is 285-52 (.846) at the Dean Dome.

I agree that neither of these places is the toughest place to play because of the crowds, but they are the 2 toughest places to go and come out with a win, whether they have their normal good teams, or if they have down years, other teams just don't leave Chapel Hill or Lexington with wins.

# 49 joesto54 @ 10/29/09 09:27 PM
"Sorry. Didn't know Cal, Wall, and co are going to vault Rupp into one of the toughest places to play."

I'm glad i could enlighten you. =)

# 50 YankeeCpt @ 10/29/09 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusefan
Ok that Reason is complete BS. Like Kentucky, Syracuse has its DieHards and its fans who only cheer when everyone else does. Last year, no games were blacked out and its the same this year, NO GAMES ARE BLACKED OUT.

Also, Syracuse plays these teams from throughout the state for two reasons, Branding. Syracuse likes to prove its the best Team in the state and they have played alot of these teams for a very long time. And not all of these teams are Crap, Cornell, Siena, and Niagara are all capable of making noise come tournament time. And since Syracuse has always played these teams, i doubt he would make a statement about the Football team not bringing in any money because that was not always the case.
In addition to the cost of maintaining the structure, the basketball program as of late has been the breadwinner among the athletic teams in the Orange family. This being said, this is the most important time in the basketball team's history to play as many home games as possible to support programs that drain the athletic budget without replacing the cost. I am mostly referring to the football program, which used to be a profitable sport, but now resorts to a tactic perfected by UB, scheduling halftime shows just to try and draw a crowd since the game play is so poor. This means those home games generate the money needed to run the venue during basketball and also for other teams. To put the blame on Hall of Fame coach Jim Boeheim is unfair, and I have heard many times that the athletic director has forced Boeheim to play these early games at the dome.

I will look for the Boeheim quote. But either way, I am sorry it was said. Last year was the first year a game was not blacked out. What you do not seem to understand (and not many Syracusians do: college basketball is life in Kentucky). I speak from experience having lived in both.

In Kentucky almost every kid sitting in a classroom is wearing either red or blue (with UK or UL logo) on a daily basis... irregardless of season. I have taught in Syracuse City Schools for 10 years now and on a gameday.... out of 28 kids in a class.... you are lucky to have 2-3.

Did you see the Syracuse Midnight Madness? Most didn't. How do I know? Channel 10 showed some highlights and there were MANY MANY empty seats near the court. Peeps in KY camped out for days to get tickets. Crappy seats were selling on ebay for $500 (given away free). You tell me....

You live in the city? Have a child in one? go check it out.

# 51 RyanMcD29 @ 10/29/09 10:44 PM
Although Midnight Madness wasn't that packed (it's more of a result of moving away from Manley), there was quite a good crowd for the exhibition game the other day, which was on a Sunday afternoon no less. I feel Syracuse's fine where it is. That's not to say UK shouldn't be in the top 20 and idk how the fans missed that one completely.

# 52 Hokie20 @ 10/30/09 01:36 AM
All I have to say is - Clemson? Really? I've been to several games there and at Cameron and there is NO WAY LittleJohn is harder to play at than Cameron.

This is coming from a neutral fan that doesn't like either team equally.

Oh yeah, and UNC's atmosphere is a bunch of old people that don't yell or anything.

# 53 dbeth @ 10/30/09 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolie G
Kentucky is 427-60 (.877) at Rupp Arena.

North Carolina is 285-52 (.846) at the Dean Dome.

I agree that neither of these places is the toughest place to play because of the crowds, but they are the 2 toughest places to go and come out with a win, whether they have their normal good teams, or if they have down years, other teams just don't leave Chapel Hill or Lexington with wins.
Yeah, and Wisconsin is 125-11 at the Kohl Center (113-8 under Bo Ryan). Not in the top 15...

I agree the atmosphere as something to do with this list as well, and it can get kinda dead in the Kohl, but seriously....I would say it's tough to come out of there with a win as well.

# 54 Koolie G @ 10/30/09 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeth
Yeah, and Wisconsin is 125-11 at the Kohl Center (113-8 under Bo Ryan). Not in the top 15...

I agree the atmosphere as something to do with this list as well, and it can get kinda dead in the Kohl, but seriously....I would say it's tough to come out of there with a win as well.
I would not argue with that. The Badgers are tough at home. The atmosphere is not always great at Wisc, UK, or UNC like it is in Cameron, but they are just as difficult if not more difficult gyms for visiting teams to win in. Not sure about Wisc, but UK and UNC suffer from old people who have money filling up most of the lower arena and very rarely getting excited or loud. They will for big games, but many of the "lesser" games are more social events where they come to be seen. They are more of a show, than an event they are participants in.

# 55 yanks26ngoin @ 10/30/09 03:04 PM
Wow. What a list! NOT! When these results came back, EA should have changed them because these are not realistic at all. Where the hell is Rupp Arena or Cameron Indoor Stadium on here? EPIC FAIL, EA!

Xavier has no right to be on that list. I am not even sure if it gets louder than the Shoe in there, and the Shoe has been practically empty ever since Huggins was forced out, unfortunately. Maybe the fan will start to pack it again now that UC landed the top talent in the country in Lance Stephenson. Combine him(if eligible) to Vaughn, Gates, Wright, Thomas(when eligible in December), Cincy will be a SCARY team this year. And I cant wait to see it!

Also, an arena that hasnt been loud for a while was freaking wild this past season. Sheesh. Everytime I saw a Michigan game on TV or saw highlights of a game, Crisler Arena was going freaking wild.

# 56 Roggie @ 10/30/09 05:14 PM
@Yanks: Cameron Indoor is number 5. Too low, even I can admit that. Should be ahead of UNC, who should NOT be the hardest place to play. Top 5, but not number 1.

But, I hope they have the Duke hand thing in the game for an inbounding pass so I can just laugh at how stupid it looks.

# 57 jd@os @ 10/30/09 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricain
Haha, you know this game is based on the 2009/2010 teams and arenas? give me a break.
I guess we shouldn't comment or complain on this "toughest places to play" thing since they are basing it on 2009/2010. Oh wait a minute...the 2009/2010 season HASN'T EVEN STARTED. Rosters, schedules, etc are based on 2009/2010. The toughest places to play has to be based on recent atmosphere--not predicted, future atmosphere because said team is supposed to be good this year. If that's the case I guess So. Carolina needs to be on there since they'll have a better team than last year's.

And I know fans voted on this. I'm just asking how knowledgeable these fans really are. "Oh we got this new player and this new coach so we should be on the list." Okaaaaaaaaaay...

Duke is going to have a down year by Duke's standards. I know they have a lofty ranking but don't they always? And what has happened recently? They burn out at the end. But even though I'm a UNC fan, Duke should be high on the list not because the game is based on 2009/2010--if that was the case they should drop. No, Duke should be high on the list because of what I stated earlier--their recent atmosphere.

# 58 RubenDouglas @ 10/31/09 05:54 PM
nice conversation. so many factors and ways you can go about looking at this.

do you go by:
-top attendance %.
-top atmospheres on big game days
-top atmospheres on normal game days
-how hard it is for a good team to come in and go out with a win?

my schools arena could be a top 5 when they face top 10 teams as those are the "big games" or even against tough conference foes. but there off games, its like any other arena, even though they average in the top 20 in attendance.

you can also play into question about historically speaking how tough some venues are and compare with common day, to see if they live up to that hype.

its a perfect job for a intern to get in and do some fun investigating.

looking at some of the pits "trophy lists":

-Hoops America back in '99 listed LOUDEST college arena venues.
-SI listed top 20 venues of the 20th century (does that even matter in regards to atmosphere?)
-In Jan. 2008 USA TODAY: 10 great places to get pumped for NCAA action
-Foxsports: Top 10 old school arenas
-Rivals.com: top 16 home court advantages

Nice pit momento:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=55423021

# 59 stlstudios189 @ 10/31/09 06:56 PM
I like this idea, the voting sucked but, I would love to have that feeling of facing the crowd as well.

# 60 Buckeyes_Doc @ 10/31/09 07:08 PM
I like the idea if I'm going into Duke I want it to be tough as hell to play in, i don't want a game where playing @ Duke feels the same as playing @ Savannah St.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.