Home
EA Sports MMA News Post

IGN has posted their first look at EA Sports MMA.

Quote:
"As for the actual combat in the ring -- and there will be different rings aside from the standard cage setup -- EA Sports was being a bit cagey when asked to dive into the specifics of controlling both the ground game and stand-up game. Standard striking will be handled by the analog stick by default, though all of the controls can be customized if you prefer something different. The developers want kicking and punching to be the same movement on the analog stick regardless of whether you're on the ground or upright. How you'll handle moving from mount to half-guard (as well as other transitions on the mat) is still a bit of a mystery.

Dale Jackson, Executive Producer on the game, said that, much like the striking, advancing position will be the same movement or button press regardless of where you are in the ring. If you're in the clinch, it's going to be the same motion to advance your position as if you're on the ground. The same goes for defense. We know that face buttons will make an appearance and that the complexities of the ground game will be handled with a combination of analog stick movements and face button presses, but beyond that little was revealed. Jackson went on to say that they want to keep the control scheme as simple as possible so gamers can learn the moves and instinctually react in the ring."

Game: EA Sports MMAReader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
EA Sports MMA Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Pappy Knuckles @ 11/09/09 05:35 PM
The striking game is where Undisputed really fell short. If they're using the Fight Night engine I'm pretty sure that it will be pretty good. Being able to use the analog sticks is a step in the right direction.

# 2 BlueNGold @ 11/09/09 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
The striking game is where Undisputed really fell short. If they're using the Fight Night engine I'm pretty sure that it will be pretty good. Being able to use the analog sticks is a step in the right direction.
The striking is part of what has frustrated me so much playing UFC online so its nice to see EA is taking a different approach.

This game is sounding pretty nice. I like how they have more than just a cage to fight in as well. Another nice move was taking a lot of things from FNR4 except the counter system. Being able to customize the controls is a nice touch too.

Looking forward to this. Hopefully they have enough good fighters or at least a really good CAF.

# 3 Wet Bandit @ 11/09/09 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
Ugh. I hate the analog stick punches in the Fight Night games. And that's a game where there's like eight different strikes (straights, hooks, uppercuts, and haymakers to the head and body).

The actual striking in Undisputed can certainly be improved upon, but I can't imagine how the controls could be improved.

# 4 BlueNGold @ 11/09/09 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet Bandit
Ugh. I hate the analog stick punches in the Fight Night games. And that's a game where there's like eight different strikes (straights, hooks, uppercuts, and haymakers to the head and body).

The actual striking in Undisputed can certainly be improved upon, but I can't imagine how the controls could be improved.
You can edit the controls to what you like.

# 5 Wet Bandit @ 11/10/09 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNGold
You can edit the controls to what you like.
I can edit the controls to what they'll let me. That's a pretty big difference. It's completely unknown how much flexibility they'll build into their controls.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this game will have bad controls or anything. I'm just saying that I have serious reservations about how they're gonna pull the controls off if the base of the controls will be the right analog stick.

But I'm firmly in wait-and-see mode, just like I was when THQ first showed sizzle trailers for Undisputed.

# 6 superstarshad @ 11/10/09 09:57 PM
Im sold strickly off of analog usage to strike. This game has a ton of potential.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.