Home
NHL 10 News Post

If there’s one area where NHL 2K10 significantly outperforms NHL 10, it’s in the variety-of-goals department. NHL 10, while fun to play, really limits the ways you’re able to generate goals. So hockey fans who pick up the game and try to replicate the kinds of scoring strategies they see on TV might have issues earning wins at first.

Fact is, if players wants to score consistently in NHL 10, they have to drop some of those real-life strategies (scoring off clean shots) and lean a bit more on the side of “video-game strategy.”

So with that in mind, here are some ways to consistently score in NHL 10.

Read more - NHL 10: Scoring Strategies

NHL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NHL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 28 - View All
NHL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Hova57 @ 11/11/09 01:31 PM
Def will be trying these out . i figured out the rebound goal , but the others are welcome addition

# 2 asu666 @ 11/11/09 02:38 PM
Nice guide. I'm loving NHL 10 this year after feeling NHL 2K9 was the better game last year.

# 3 Bolts_26 @ 11/11/09 03:21 PM
Nice article, man!

Definitely having trouble in my BAP (6 points in 20 games) so I will try these out and see if I can get my guy going!

# 4 matt8204 @ 11/11/09 03:29 PM
Good guide but this is unacceptable to me. '08 and '09 did a much better job of allowing you to score clean goals, which is part of the real NHL. I want this game to be a sim, not a one-timer fest. You should be able to snipe, especially with guys like Kovalchuk and Ovechkin. I hope EA addresses the severe lack of clean goals in a future patch.

# 5 wsdp @ 11/11/09 03:39 PM
This is my first time playing the game since probably '05 so I'm learning while having a blast in BAP.

I am using "classic" controls (not the default which is this year's tougher version from what I can grasp) and can't figure out how to execute a one timer which I'd like to figure out as my BAP is a Defenseman.

Can anyone provide assistance? I play on the PS3.

# 6 jyoung @ 11/11/09 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8204
Good guide but this is unacceptable to me. '08 and '09 did a much better job of allowing you to score clean goals, which is part of the real NHL. I want this game to be a sim, not a one-timer fest. You should be able to snipe, especially with guys like Kovalchuk and Ovechkin. I hope EA addresses the severe lack of clean goals in a future patch.
Agreed 100%.

I'd love to see more clean snipes, but you have to significantly alter the sliders to do it offline, and for those of us who play exclusively online, slider tweaking is not an option.

It's in EA's hands whether or not they can create a solution for online matches.

# 7 jyoung @ 11/11/09 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsdp
This is my first time playing the game since probably '05 so I'm learning while having a blast in BAP.

I am using "classic" controls (not the default which is this year's tougher version from what I can grasp) and can't figure out how to execute a one timer which I'd like to figure out as my BAP is a Defenseman.

Can anyone provide assistance? I play on the PS3.
I haven't tried the classic controls this year, but if it's anything like last year's, you have to press and hold the shot button before you receive the pass to take a one-timer.

So basically, you want to press and hold shoot right after you press pass.

# 8 wsdp @ 11/11/09 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
I haven't tried the classic controls this year, but if it's anything like last year's, you have to press and hold the shot button before you receive the pass to take a one-timer.

So basically, you want to press and hold shoot right after you press pass.
That's how I remember it from NHL '94 controls... I'm actually shooting using the analog sticks right now but you're saying to use the circle button (PS3 - which is the shoot button) and it'll work while using "Classic" controls? Okie, I'll give it a try tonight when I get home. Thanks!

# 9 nacnud @ 11/11/09 03:52 PM
Its a shame that most goals happen the same way, really takes away from the game in my opinion and they need to add some variation to it

# 10 jyoung @ 11/11/09 05:01 PM
Again though, auto-aim, like sliders, is something we can't use online.

I think most of the guys here who get mad at the lack of clean goals are the guys who play primarily, if not exclusively, online.

Something definitely needs to give with the online portion of the game, whether it's auto-aim or slider tweaks, but it's all in EA's control right now.

# 11 matt8204 @ 11/11/09 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawker
I think the guide is great, but the complaints abut no clean goals is pretty unfounded. I think the problem is that far more people here suck at at aiming thatn care to admit it. I absolutely hate having to aim the puck, as it makes it near impossible to get clean goals.

But I use auto-aim for all of my offline games, and I get plenty of clean goals. Brad Boyes will hit his spots far better than Brad Winchester. I feel like this presents a far more realistic game, and forces me to rely on my best players for scoring chances.

When I play online, my scoring takes a hit, and I rely on the tactics in this guide. But I think it is clear that the holes are there if you aim better, becasue the CPU finds them.

I haven't played the 2K game since NHL 2K7, but maybe it just cheats a little more, and is more forgiving in where you aim. Regardless, when I read about these complaints, I always felt like i must be playing a different game. It finally downed on me that I probably am. If EA would bring auto-aim to the online game, I'd actually play more games there.
I respectfully disagree. I'm not the best in terms of shooting accuracy but I think I'm pretty decent. The problem I notice is that the goalies in this game make too many spectacular saves. There have been so many instances where I see some room on the glove side, aim perfectly at that spot, only to see the goalie make an amazing glove save while doing a full split.

# 12 Vikes1 @ 11/11/09 05:09 PM
Quote:
I think the guide is great, but the complaints abut no clean goals is pretty unfounded. I think the problem is that far more people here suck at at aiming thatn care to admit it. I absolutely hate having to aim the puck, as it makes it near impossible to get clean goals.

But I use auto-aim for all of my offline games, and I get plenty of clean goals. Brad Boyes will hit his spots far better than Brad Winchester. I feel like this presents a far more realistic game, and forces me to rely on my best players for scoring chances.
Yep Jay...I'm terrible at aiming my shots.

The only time I score on clean shots is mostly by accident.

The Auto-aim...I wasn't even aware of this option. Or just didn't pay any attention to it. I'll give this a try.

Edit: I'm having trouble finding "Auto aim" in the settings.

Is it also known as CPU Aid?

# 13 BleacherCreature @ 11/11/09 05:29 PM
I used auto-aim for the longest time but have since switched to manual and am seeing far more goals than I would have imagined.
Auto seems to like to aim for the logo on the front of the goalie's jersey, which is a save 99.9% of the time.
Since switching to manual I have found I am able to shoot low from the point to allow rebounds, and I can also lift the puck over a sprawling goalie when in close.
Sure some (well, probably most) is luck on my part but it's working well.
The times it doesn't work I am left scratching my head and saying to myself "why didn't I shoot that higher?" or "I can't believe I couldn't slip that inside the far post."
Manual aim has opened up a new world of goals for me.

# 14 Vikes1 @ 11/12/09 01:45 AM
Quote:

Auto-aim is only available in the gameplay options as you start a game. It is not a setting you can set so that it is turned on all the time. That bites, as well.

I just think the complaints abut the lack of clean goals may be misplaced.
Thanks Jay. I'll look for the Auto-aim next time I play.

I do believe theres something to what your saying about scoring clean goals. In fact I scored a few earlier tonight. As I posted earlier...it's pretty tough for me, but...if/when I do aim my shot just right, I have blown a few past cleanly.

I've turned down the shot accuracy for myself and the cpu to 2. And I think it may be actually helping me. By way of my shots at times being off target, just a bit now. Meaning I hit the corners of the goal a few times tonight...rather than the goalies logo. Can't go by just one game...but it did seem pretty encouraging.

# 15 jyoung @ 11/13/09 12:49 AM
Correct, it is mostly an online issue.

# 16 eeyor @ 11/13/09 02:13 AM
Imho I can't play with auto-aim on...it just makes no sense...this is the same as if I would watch a CPU-vs-CPU match. It takes away one of the last influence channels I have.

# 17 ZFarls @ 11/13/09 10:16 AM
Hey man, good article. I miss nhl 09 but haven't put in enough time to get new strategies to score in NHL 10, these should help.

Keep up the good work
ZFarls

# 18 PhilliesPride35 @ 11/23/09 03:06 AM
Hey are you guys gonna put something up like you did in 09 for the attribute part of your online character? And for height and weight and such?

# 19 juice-box @ 11/27/09 03:10 PM
one thing i find especially online that most goals are being score with the winger comming down the side then cutting to the net and cross crease pass everytime for the onetimer to the open guy on the side of the net..it seems to work about 90% of the time

# 20 Fiddy @ 11/27/09 05:34 PM
i dunno.. i just pass, shoot, then score. not to hard guys..

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.