Home
Backbreaker News Post

Check out the official fact sheet for Backbreaker. We've also included 5 more screenshots.

Quote:
"Setting a new standard in football video games, Backbreaker rushes the genre with a new playbook for hard‐hitting action. Players take control of an unmatched on‐field experience boasting realistic, physics‐based AI for an endless variety of unique sacks and tackles, making canned animations a last‐season memory. With crisp high‐definition graphics and a third‐person camera angle that follows the perspective of the ball handler, Backbreaker puts players in the heart of the game. Rookies can easily pick‐up‐and‐play thanks to Backbreaker’s intuitive Arcade Mode control scheme, while veteran players can enjoy the game’s more difficult Pro Mode that turns off AI assists.

Featuring 11 versus 11 matches, Backbreaker also boasts online multiplayer for up to four players and split‐screen multiplayer modes. With total team customization, players can create their own rosters and adjust their team’s colors, logos and more. Going on the offense from kickoff to end zone, Backbreaker is how football was meant to be played on next‐gen consoles. Players can hit the gridiron with Backbreaker for Xbox 360™ and PLAYSTATION®3 platforms in spring 2010."

Backbreaker screenshot gallery - Click to view Backbreaker screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: BackbreakerReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 51 - View All
Backbreaker Videos
Member Comments
# 61 GlennN @ 12/02/09 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
APF has the best gameplay ever created for a football game without a doubt. Backbreaker should use that game as a template for many things. Backbreaker's passing system sounds a lot like APF's kicking system. They should keep emulating that game.
See, that's the thing about franchise mode for me though. APF's gameplay is great, but playing the same rosters over again, with no drafting or trading, no player progression, just doesn't work for me. I went back to NFL 2k5.

# 62 t11 @ 12/02/09 07:49 PM
Could people stop calling it ragdoll? It isn't ragdoll. Jeez, get it right.

# 63 Bellsprout @ 12/02/09 07:56 PM
When does this game get it's own section on the forums?

I'm not really sure what the protocol is for that. Lol.

# 64 t11 @ 12/02/09 07:57 PM
Yeah. lol. This game is "confirmed" now. Its about time it gets its own thread. But maybe it makes more sense to give it one at release/

# 65 allBthere @ 12/02/09 09:07 PM
I just want all the "vapour-ware", "tech-demo" and "no chance" trolls to wear some sort of virtual kick me sign on here for as many months as they have been slamming the game.

they're trolls! I tell ya!

# 66 Danimal @ 12/02/09 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreAllWitnesses
When does this game get it's own section on the forums?

I'm not really sure what the protocol is for that. Lol.
Probably when it's an actual product or a site actually has a preview copy. So far to my knowledge it was only shown once at E3, private showings etc.

# 67 gamerk2 @ 12/02/09 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torsten Reil View Post
Quick clarification:

There are more than 32 teams.

The game features a multi-year season mode incl. drafting and scouting. We're not calling it Franchise right now because we know how fussy you guys are about Franchise mode. We will call it Franchise in the future when we feel we can meet all the expectations that that term evokes.

Hope that clears things up a bit.
So yes, apparently there IS a multi-year season mode, which really bumps the game up to must buy status in my mind.

# 68 canes21 @ 12/03/09 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal
Probably when it's an actual product or a site actually has a preview copy. So far to my knowledge it was only shown once at E3, private showings etc.
PS3's Qore got to see the game live. And the new trailer was all gameplay footage from their demo. But I guess OS will say I am wrong?

# 69 PVarck31 @ 12/03/09 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfos81
They sure did. They need their own section in these forums, not just (football other). Its going to actually be a game, so can we expect this mods?
Let me see what I can do.

# 70 Pappy Knuckles @ 12/03/09 04:29 PM
She has actually risen now lol.

I remain curious about this game. I'll await the demo.

# 71 ezio @ 12/03/09 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennN
See, that's the thing about franchise mode for me though. APF's gameplay is great, but playing the same rosters over again, with no drafting or trading, no player progression, just doesn't work for me. I went back to NFL 2k5.
I agree with you. I had APF and got rid of it for the reasons you mentioned. I just picked up NFL 2K5 and much prefer that over APF.

# 72 ezio @ 12/03/09 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
OMG. that game was awesome I had to put more memory in my computer and bringing it up to a whopping 640 KB to play it

# 73 headsigh @ 12/04/09 06:38 PM
SJ's logo on image 31 at the bottom looks just like the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies logo from the QMJHL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rouyn-Noranda_Huskies.svg

# 74 Skyboxer @ 12/04/09 07:34 PM
Quote:

Think I still have the original. There was one blitz play we had to have a house rule you could only use it once a quarter because it was always a sack if offense ran a pass play..
Very fun game though.

# 75 Tyrant8RDFL @ 12/04/09 11:09 PM
Quote:
If it has no franchise I couldn't care less. It's really strange to me how some people have made a franchise mode more important than what goes on between the white lines. That perplexes me to no end. It's almost like they don't care if the game plays terrible, just so long as they can play 20+ fantasy seasons with fake rosters... I don't get it.

But I'm from the old school where Season mode was the important thing and I guess that's always been enough for me. That never trumped the game on the field. The mode could be spectacular, but if the game didn't play well it was pointless because I'd never stick around to finish a season.
Your on a roll Homie. Another solid post. Gameplay , Gameplay, and again Gameplay is the main key that will keep everyone coming back for more, and should be PRIORITY #1.

It is so obvious if a game has solid gameplay and a weak franchise mode or none is more tolerable than having a game where gameplay is horrible with a great franchise.

This is their 1st attempt at making a football game. I want them to focus on gameplay, and then when that is right then they can focus on a franchise. A season mode is fine with me.

Really think about it guys. Gameplay has to be right or what is the point?

# 76 Skyboxer @ 12/05/09 06:30 PM
My take:

Yes gameplay on the field is most important but playing the same teams over and over does take some of the luster away.
It's 2010 and having both really shouldn't have been an issue.
When we get a great FOOTBALL playing game and not a great video game playing game, I'll be in heaven.

I love the chess match and there's nothing like making the perfect playcall or even making the mistake playcall.
If I'm playing an evenly matched, players wise, game... coaching playcalling should matter big time. I don't think that's the case right now.

# 77 TheWatcher @ 12/05/09 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Titan
its has franchise

so its good

gameplay should be important , but a stable franchise is key to having a game succeed i.e. All pro 2k8
I disagree with that for a few reasons. For one, APF had a ton of issues that ruined its success (poor marketing/promotion, failure to meet some of the basic requests of the fanbase, and an incredibly foolish decision to not develop and legitimize a league image)... franchise was by far the least of the games issues unless you were big on franchise, and truth be told most people aren't.

It's a broken record to mention this, but the casual player (the majority who buys Madden for example) is simply not getting deeply involved into franchise modes (and I think the number is shrinking with more online usage). It's just not the standard makeup of a Play Now player to get deep into franchise modes. I think there are certainly enough gamers who use it to keep it going, but the Play Now group is certainly the majority.

One thing that I've found interesting while reading different boards across the net over the years about football games, is that prior to release there will be a few threads asking for franchise information, and literally 100's of threads about everything unrelated to franchise. That to me speaks volumes. It repeats itself every year; you see a few people screaming for franchise stuff, thousands more not caring about it at all and instead posting threads about all kinds of things related to gameplay and small details.

# 78 CreatineKasey @ 12/05/09 07:20 PM
Quote:
I disagree with that for a few reasons. For one, APF had a ton of issues that ruined its success (poor marketing/promotion, failure to meet some of the basic requests of the fanbase, and an incredibly foolish decision to not develop and legitimize a league image)... franchise was by far the least of the games issues unless you were big on franchise, and truth be told most people aren't.

It's a broken record to mention this, but the casual player (the majority who buys Madden for example) is simply not getting deeply involved into franchise modes (and I think the number is shrinking with more online usage). It's just not the standard makeup of a Play Now player to get deep into franchise modes. I think there are certainly enough gamers who use it to keep it going, but the Play Now group is certainly the majority.

One thing that I've found interesting while reading different boards across the net over the years about football games, is that prior to release there will be a few threads asking for franchise information, and literally 100's of threads about everything unrelated to franchise. That to me speaks volumes. It repeats itself every year; you see a few people screaming for franchise stuff, thousands more not caring about it at all and instead posting threads about all kinds of things related to gameplay and small details.
Yep. I'm part of the thousands of gameplay advocates. That's why I pipe up... don't want people over-emphasizing franchise importance.

# 79 MrNFL_FanIQ @ 12/05/09 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
Yep. I'm part of the thousands of gameplay advocates. That's why I pipe up... don't want people over-emphasizing franchise importance.
For me personally, if Franchise sucks, I'm not playing. Obviously, gameplay is huge, but without Franchise there is no reason for me to play. Online play is just a joke, Superstar mode (at least in Madden) is just awful, and I'm not going to spend $60 for the occasional play-now game.

For me, franchise is a MUST. Horrible gameplay can ruin franchise, but a great franchise (NFL Head Coach, IMO) is what makes a game great.

# 80 gbeazy @ 12/05/09 09:29 PM

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...highlight=poll

I think watcher and others are way off. No franchise is the Only reason I didn't buy APF day one. Not marketing I saw the commercial with Rakim. I waited and bought it used $6.
I was really hoping for another football option. Oh well

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.